What's cooking?

I’ve eaten and enjoyed a variety of curries. What their names were, I couldn’t tell you. I’ve gone to roti shops and I just point to the dish I want. The one with the shrimp, the one over there with the potatoes, etc.

And they were all delicious. I’ve always been curious about curry. I’ve made my own curry from scratch years ago. I started with mirepoix, a stick of cinnamon, fresh ground corriander, a bay leaf…oh man, I’m drawing a blank here. I forget what else I put. It came out pretty good. But I’ve always enjoyed the aroma of all the spices. And to me, it’s always been kinda mysterious. A strange combination of certain spices creating something delicious. Sometimes there’s peppers, and coconut milk

It gets difficult to understand how you start with these spices, and end up with such a delicious dish. It seemed magical to me. Curry is so different from the food I grew up on, which had simple flavors that usually came from a bottle of Adobo seasoning.

There’s a huge gap of flavor between what comes out of that Adobo bottle, and curry.

Anyway, the above article is very informative. I thought they were gonna leave out Japanese curry. Nope. That’s in there, too.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

$420 Dinner in Tokyo - Kobe Beef vs. Matsusaka Beef vs. Kuroge Wagyu

2 Likes

Just from the way he handles the food with the spatulas, you would assume he’s Japanese! haha

Tidiness is part of their culture. In other countries, there may be one or two instances when someone will be preparing your food and you’ll wonder ¨did that dude wash his hands?¨

In Japan, I think you’re much less likely to come across that kind of scenario.

1 Like

Their way of handling and preparing the food makes you feel safe, the same feeling I get when watching South Korean food videos

1 Like

Would you try Fugu? The poisonous pufferfish Fugu is a delicacy in Japan. The poison in Fugu is Tetrodotoxin, which is 1000 times more potent than cyanide and there is no antidote.

Eating Japan’s POISONOUS PufferFish!!! ALMOST DIED!!! Ambulance

2 Likes

Nope. I feel like it’s rather foolish. But, I suppose you could say that about anything. Why rockclimb if you can windsurf instead?

If I want an adrenaline rush while eating, I can try eating fish eyes. No need to risk death.

Eating pufferfish is like playing Russian roulette. There’s no skill on my end. It’s just 100% random risk. The chef has skill, but I don’t.

1 Like

I won’t taste Fugu either, more than 100 people die from eating it each year in Japan, and I won’t be among them.

As for rock climbing, you have more control over the situations, there have been times where rock climbers have missed or slipped a step and recovered and avoided death. unlike eating something, you can’t control when it enters your body, and it doesn’t help, there is no antidote.

1 Like

Yup. No way, buddy!

Exactly! But even if there was, I still wouldn’t eat it. How about you?

As far as other dangerous activities, you’re right. You can recover. There’s skill involved. But with something like pufferfish, you have no control, as you said.

To be honest, I’d rather eat spicy food (not too spicy!) . That’s way more fun, and less risky.

@SmallPaul Would you rather try spicy food that is beyond your tolerance level, or eat a big fish eye?

2 Likes

Nope.

It’s no fish eyes for me, there are some things that turn my stomach and those eyes turn my stomach, trust me, people don’t wanna see the aftermath.

Trying spicy food beyond my tolerance level is one of my favorite things to do, but even that can be dangerous, so I watch others to see how they react to it before I try it or don’t try it.

EDIT: I no longer go to ghost pepper level spicy, just spicy food that I can somewhat tastes

2 Likes

Is Korean food something you’re particularly interested in?

I’m really curious about curry dishes, but to be honest, I have NO interest in visiting India. It just doesn’t tickle my fancy. But, I’d like to try learn how to make curry dishes from India, Japan, Thailand, the Caribbean, etc.

This is such an interesting video on how to cook curry!

2 Likes

Ramen is one of the most delicious dishes for me. It’s simply irresistible
if you want try this one:

1 Like

Wow, he makes that look easy! Nice video, thanks for sharing! I never thought about making my own Japanese stock!

1 Like

Which is better?

I found this article, and it turns out that paper napkins seem better, but at home, once you consider the lifespan of the cloth napkin, the cloth napkin comes out as a more environmental-friendly choice.

Don’t these look cool??

imagen

Of course, you wouldn’t do this everyday at the dinner table, but maybe for a special meal.

It doesn’t even have to complicated.
imagen

Regardless, wiping your mouth with a cloth napkin feels different than paper. Dare I say, classier?

imagen

imagen

Similar to typing on a loud mechanical keyboard vs a soft, gentle membrane keyboard. It’s a more pleasant typing experience. Cloth on your face feels different. Some people won’t care because by that time, you’re probably full of food and ready to go to bed. If that aspect doesn’t matter to you, perhaps it can be more convenient than buying paper napkins at the supermarket. One less thing to worry about.

As for me, I live alone and am not entertaining any guests at the moment, so I don’t even have a need for napkins, paper or cloth.

But when the time comes for me have a home and entertain guests, I’ll be choosing cloth napkins.

1 Like

THE FAMOUS dessert that is driving the world crazy!

3 Likes

That looks good!! Actually, at first, I thought it was gonna be a flambé. What a surprise!

1 Like

I am about to hire a chef and have him/her make some of these recipes. man does some of this stuff look delicious

1 Like

I think you can try; this doesn’t look like rocket science)

At first, I thought it was going to be a toffee banana recipe. I tried making it, but it turned out to be very greasy (

1 Like

Yes I agree with that, that’s not hard to make

2 Likes