What's cooking?

Considering how much information available on the internet and social media, is it really necessary to have a cookbook?

1 Like

No, not necessary at all. But I like books. Just my preference. I like the feel of books, the weight, turning the pages.

I like physical objects. Ebooks have never interested me.

Of course, there are also cooking shows. I enjoy watching cooking shows and taking notes.

imagen

imagen

@SmallPaul I imagine no, but do you have any preference for books vs ebooks?

What if youā€™re wanting to try a new recipe. How would you go about holding the recipe in your kitchen while cooking?

A loose piece of paper? A notebook in which youā€™ve handwritten the recipe from a tv show? On your phone? An e-reader, like a kindle? A book in a book stand? Or would you just memorize it?

1 Like

Yeah! I add a bit of honey and frozen blueberries. So so so good.

1 Like

Ok I have to admit I havenā€™t tried this one. How do you consume it? By itself?

The type of book determines my preference, I prefer physical copies of business books.

1 Like

OK, and what about a new recipe?

What would be your preference? Letā€™s say you are looking for a new mac and cheese recipe, (or ramen, your choice haha), would you look online, get a cookbook, or just ask a friend?

How would you like to display that recipe for reference while cooking? On a kindle? on a post-it? Would you get a recipe from youtube and just watch the video on your phone while making it?

I drink it straight, no chaser. Like a real man!

2 Likes

I would go online, right it down and go make it

See above, you can also display it on a iPad or Tablet as you are making it

Right right. There are some tablet holders with splash guards. Just in case things get messy!

Be careful about that handrwriting haha
ĀØIs that supposed to be 3 eggs or 8 eggs?ĀØ

1 Like

lmao ,Facts, Several times I had to check the website to make sure I got it right

1 Like

Per capita, Turkey consumes the most tea in the world!
imagen

It seems the way to prepare Turkish tea is to boil the bottom pot alone, put your loose tea in the top pot, then pour that hot water into the top pot with the tea leaves. Refill the bottom pot, then stack them, and put the Voltron tea pot back on the stove so the bottom pot heats up and the tea in the top pot can steep for 15-20 minutes.

When serving, you can dilute the tea with some hot water from the bottom pot.

I think I got that right.

In Turkey, double boilers seem to be very common.
imagen

Traditional Turkish tea glasses have an hourglass shape.

Man, some of these glasses get fancy!

imagen

Matching set!

imagen

2 Likes

You prefer Coffee, Tea or neither?

1 Like

You know, Iā€™ll drink whatever. Just not too much. Iā€™ll enjoy a cup of either. Because of the caffeine, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll push it to two.

@SmallPaul How about you? Iā€™m gonna guess that you donā€™t have a preferenceā€¦you donā€™t seem too picky. haha

As far as tea flavor, I donā€™t have a preference, really. If available, Iā€™ll request a few mint leaves in there, though!

imagen

Moroccan style!

Speaking of coffeeā€¦

Bialetti seems to be the go-to brand, no?
imagen

Percolators look like a good way to prepare oneā€™s coffee. I donā€™t have any experience with these. Iā€™ve never used one myself. Iā€™ve watched a few videos about them, and from my childhood I remember the sound they make while percolating.

Is there any difference between the percolator and drip? Isnā€™t is the same concept of running hot water over ground coffee beans?
imagen

As per google:
Percolator coffee is known for its bold, rich flavor and higher caffeine content compared to drip coffee. The continuous brewing process extracts a full-bodied taste that many coffee enthusiasts appreciate. However, some may find the resultant brew too strong or bitter, especially if over-extracted.

Also, as per google
Although most people prefer the smoother and cleaner taste of drip coffee, it all comes down to how you like your coffee. The percolator is looked down upon in the specialty coffee community because of how it produces coffee. There isnā€™t a lot of balance or clarity in the taste.

This site helps explain the pros and cons of both, as well as how to best use them.

@SmallPaul Look what you started! haha

2 Likes

You guys can disagree all you want.

I say the BEST ice cream flavor EVERRRR isā€¦

Mint chocolate chip!

I guess some people donā€™t like it because they feel like theyā€™re eating toothpaste. Well, isnā€™t that half the fun?! The best part is that after eating mint chocolate chip ice cream, you donā€™t have to brush your teeth!!

Itā€™s a win-win!

My favorite

2 Likes

Oh man. Thatā€™s such an adult flavor! haha

Why would anyone put pecans or walnuts in ANY dessert?

Iā€™m not saying I wonā€™t eat it. Because, I will. 100%! haha

Iā€™ll definitely eat some butter pecan.

But if youā€™re gonna put some nuts in ice cream, I gotta go with almonds, orā€¦the king of nutsā€¦drum roll, pleaseā€¦

Pistachio!!!

@SmallPaul Is butter pecan still your favorite? Even against pistachio ice cream?

Knife not cutting so well anymore?

How about using a honing steel? I had one, but never had a habit of using it.

Sharpening vs honing?
Honing is the act of straightening a slightly bent blade. Sharpening is the act of removing part of the knifeā€™s edge, to turn it from dull to sharp again.

https://shun.kaiusa.com/sharpening-vs-honing

I used to bring my chefā€™s knife to a hardware store for sharpening. I think nowadays Iā€™d opt for a whetstone.

Knife-Sharpen

It seems key to hold the knife at a 16 degree angle while sharpening. But there is also a clip to assist with that.

imagen

1 Like

yes

never tried it but worth a try

1 Like

Both are fine with me, In either case, I donā€™t drink constantly.

1 Like