What's cooking?

like this sound)

2 Likes

How The Military’s Largest Cafeteria Feeds 4,500 Soldiers In 90 Minutes

2 Likes

Holy moly! Think about all that food consumption on a daily basis, then per week, and per year. Think about everything involved to make that happen. Not just the meal prep (which is a lot of work), but the food delivery, the farming industry, etc.

Whoever has those food supply contracts are making big money!

1 Like

Can you live on a Aircraft Carrier for 6+ months

How Aircraft Carriers Prepare 17,000 Meals a Day

1 Like

Hold up, dude said ¨nuclear reactor¨. How do you just mention that casually??

That just makes me think of Chernobyl

and the nuclear power plant on the Simpsons…

Anyway…I’m wondering about the fuel consumption for a ship that size. The gas the electricity. I guess that’s where the onboard nuclear reactor comes in, huh?

Think about how much fuel is consumed just for the food prep!!!

1 Like

The right wine can save even your less-than-perfect cooking :slight_smile:
Good film not about cooking, but about wine.

1 Like

Did somebody test something from this?

1. Los Angeles, California
    Carnitas simmered with love, skewers kissed by fire, hot dogs that make the score — some of the best eats in LA can be found in its many communities.

2. Portland, Oregon
    Portland’s freethinking food scene fosters barbecue brisket tacos, loaded mac and cheese — and Thuy Pham’s heartfelt Vietnamese vegan pork belly.

3. New York, New York
    Always on the go, the Big Apple fuels its hustle with soul-stirring shrimp and grits, crisp slices, spicy halal chicken and rice, and snappy dogs.

4. New Orleans, Louisiana
    Amid a party city’s mix of po’boys, snoballs and crawfish, Ms. Linda Green’s beloved yakamein bubbles with inspiration, even in the face of tragedy.

5. Oahu, Hawaii
    Sparkling fresh poke. Succulent kalua pig. Tempting, tender kalbi. For a real taste of Hawaii, take a bite at its lunch trucks and holes-in-the-wall.

6. Miami, Florida
    Souse — that bold, vinegary broth boosted with meat and potatoes — saved Souseman Larry’s life in a town built on fritas, pikliz and Cuban sandwiches.

1 Like

Wow! That looks better than I expected. When you said it was about wine, I was kinda ¨meh¨, but now I wanna see it!!

Now, you got me scratching my head…

2 Likes

Looks good, Also Hong Kong serves duck as street food

Taiwanese Street Food - ROAST DUCK

1 Like

Succulent isn’t a word I use often, but the roast duck in this video deserves it. That duck looks so juicy! Mmmm

I like how they roast the duck in a big kettle-type oven–never seen that before.

And I can’t believe I just saw Chinese eating tortillas!! Did you see those little wraps?! I was confused for a moment. I didn’t know they eat this kind of bread that looks just like a tortilla. Very interesting! @SmallPaul Did you know Chinese cuisine has this flat tortilla kind of bread?

By the way, that chopping block is exactly the kind I want someday. I’m not sure if that’s ironwood or not…

1 Like

Ever wonder what different knives do? Well, look no further…

This article is well written. They even discuss the mincing knife, which I didn’t even know that’s what it was called.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind having such a wine cellar either.

2 Likes

Wow, beautiful!! I’m not even sure what I would do with such a wine cellar! I’ve only had one or two kinds! haha

This would certainly give anyone motivation to learn, though. I was gonna ask where’s the tv? But I’m thinking more man cave than wine cellar.

I wonder what techniques the owner uses to control humidity and temperature?

I didn’t realize there’s so much science involved in wine making. The corks have to be just right, the angle the wine is stored has to be correct (I think), and even the location of the wine cellar requires specific attention. If there’s too much vibration from adjacent rooms, it can disrupt the wine.

2 Likes

When life gives you lemons, and the only thing you can think of is lemon bars and lemonade…

Their first recipie, of course, is lemon bars. But farther below is a recipe for grilled lemon margarita. You read that right.

2 Likes

I’ve tried making eggs in a stainless steel pan, and it NEVER went well. I gave up.

And that was just with scrambled eggs. Forget about sunny side up. An omelette? Yeah, right…

Was it because I used oil instead of butter? Was the fire too high? Perhaps, both?

This article may have some solutions.

It says medium-high heat. I haven’t tried this, so I can’t argue. But it seems to me that low heat is best for eggs. Especially if using butter, because butter has a low smoke point.

It’s worth a shot, because I’d really like to conquer this simple dish someday.

Have you seen these cookbooks? If I got into cooking, I would get these books. They’re amazing!

2 Likes

Yup, those books are worth getting! It’s cool that they cover home-style cooking, as well as some advanced culinary art techniques used in restaurants.

I imagine it’s something that one can read and study, or bring directly to the kitchen.

Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

In my first apartment, I bought a cheap stainless steel pot set, and everything I cooked stuck to the pots, no matter how much oil / butter I use.

1 Like

There are some foods on this list that I eat - I admit it

20 Food’s You’ll Never Buy Again After Knowing How They Are Made

1 Like

I don’t care if dog poop falls in the mixer. There’s nothing that will make me not enjoy a good old fashion hotdog.

1 Like