What's cooking?

American Foods That Are Banned In Other Countries

1 Like

love me some jerk food

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/10/11/california-skittles-ban-chemicals-food/

¨The California law, which doesn’t go into effect until 2027, misleadingly became known as the “Skittles ban,” raising the possibility that the candy would disappear if the measure were enacted.¨

But this ban begs the questions, ¨How much of a difference will this ban make?¨

I haven’t had jerk in a long time. It’s a food that’s hard to refuse! Everything looks so good!

1 Like

What you need to know about California’s “Skittles ban”

The California government recently made news by proposing a ban on certain food chemicals. While these ingredients find their way into many different food products, they are most prevalent in a wide variety of candies and sweets.

The California Food Safety Act, which was signed into law by California Governor Gavin Newson in October, is designed to protect consumers from several common food chemicals.

Why the law isn’t really a “Skittles ban”

When the bill was first proposed, it listed five food chemicals the state intended to ban. These included:

• Brominated vegetable oil (BVO)
  • Potassium bromate
  • Propylparaben
  • Red dye No. 3
  • Titanium dioxide

Titanium dioxide is an ingredient found in the candy Skittles (among many other products). And when the bill was introduced, Skittles somehow became the poster child for the ban. But the final version of the law only affects four food chemicals — and doesn’t include titanium dioxide.

It’s important to note that the intent of the new law isn’t to ban Skittles or any other type of candy or confection. The goal is to force food manufacturers to reformulate their products so that they no longer contain the banned food chemicals.

Many manufacturers have already done exactly that for the versions they sell in Europe — where many of these same additives are already banned. And since the new law won’t go into effect until 2027, candy makers have plenty of time to come up with new formulations.

Why California banned four food chemicals

Proponents of the new law say years of research has led to questions about the safety of these food chemicals. BVO, potassium bromate, propylparaben and red dye No. 3 have all been linked to a variety of health concerns.

Research (done mostly on animals) has provided evidence that these food chemicals can increase:

• Cancer risk
  • Hyperactivity in children
  • Reproductive issues
  • Thyroid and liver problems

And while all these ingredients are currently FDA-approved, those in favor of the ban feel the ingredients’ status should be updated. The last meaningful FDA reviews of these ingredients occurred several decades ago — prior to much of the research on potential health risks.

What you need to know about California’s “Skittles ban” | UCLA Health

1 Like

I agree, For me Hotdogs from food carts have always been better to me than hotdogs from stores.

1 Like

with EXTRA onions!!

I love hotdogs with everything on them! Whatever toppings the guy has on his cart, I want it on my hotdog. And I’ll take two hotdogs for good measure!

I love the sauerkraut, the onions, relish, mustard, and ketchup. Man, I miss that!

Sometimes, those guys have knishes, too! A hot knish with mustard!

imagen

@SmallPaul Do you like knishes?

1 Like

Though I have not tried it, I have looked it up. If I come across it, I will certainly give it a try

1 Like

Dushimes, you down to try.

World’s Most SHOCKING Meat Market (Dogs, Cats, Bats)

1 Like

haha, the animals in the thumbnail don’t even look real…

I suppose I’ll TRY a bite or two. But I’m not eating a whole plate!

1 Like

So many choices! Are all flours the same? Apparently no! Who’d a-thunk?

Of all the flours on this list, I’m most curious about rice flour and semolina flour. Semolina flour is used for pasta, and rice flour for rice noodles.

I love rice noodles!!

1 Like

Keeping it real here, I never gave flour that much thought

1 Like

POV Cooking

Breakfast & Deli - double bill

Whenever I think of eating raw or uncooked pork, stories like this come to mind, regardless of whether the meat went bad or not.

Florida man complains of migraines — docs find tapeworm in his brain from eating undercooked bacon

A 52-year-old Florida man thought to be suffering from severe migraines was actually battling a bizarre tapeworm infestation in his brain — caused by eating undercooked bacon.

The unnamed patient, whose tale of medical woe recently wriggled its way into the American Journal of Case Reports, had been complaining of week-long, aggressive headaches over a four-month period after consuming the pesky pork product.

Experts said the individual’s “lifelong preference for soft bacon” wasn’t the sole cause of the specific, bizarre ailment — but rather that the breakfast favorite had gone bad, with undercooking leaving the man exceptionally vulnerable.

The perfect storm situation led to a case of neurocysticercosis — the scientific term for a parasite laying eggs that infect numerous regions of the body.

Even more disgusting — neurocysticercosis can be contagious.

“It is historically very unusual to encounter infected pork in the United States, and our case
may have public health implications,” researchers wrote.

According to the CDC, if afflicted individuals do not thoroughly wash their hands after a bowel movement, they can spread eggs to other members of their household — especially through food.

The CDC says the unusual ailment is “preventable” but still leads to hospitalization for about 1,000 unlucky Americans annually.

In this case, along with swelling, the patient developed cysts on both sides of his brain. This was later determined to be the tapeworm having laid eggs within the man’s brain.

He was treated with the deworming drug albendazole, which led to improvements after two weeks.

Because four in five cases involve a seizure, clinicians are being warned to “retain a high index of suspicion and obtain thorough histories in patients with changes in migraine pattern.”

Florida man complains of migraines — docs find tapeworm in his brain from eating undercooked bacon

1 Like

Well, good thing I like my bacon crispy!! That tapeworm infestation sounds awful!

1 Like

England be on point.

LONDON STREET FOOD, 1 METER LONG HOT DOG IN CAMDEN TOWN MARKET, LONDON STREET FOOD

1 Like

It is what it is

She Cooks Your Leftover McDonald’s (For Profit)

1 Like

Would you eat recycled landfill meat? - BBC News

1 Like

Well, I’ve shared drinks and food with people, so this isn’t any different. And she cooks it again, so that would kill off any germs from other people’s mouth. However, my only concern is how long the food has been sitting out. Manila is a hot place. It’s risky for food to sit at room temperature for more than three hours. After that, bacteria starts brewing. Even faster in warmer temperatures.

If food, especially meat, has been in black garbage bag in the dumpster for over an hour in hot weather, it can be dangerous no matter what kind of cooking it goes thru.

I’m curious how often people get food poisoning from this food…

Then again, if you are accustomed to eating like this, your stomach will have a much higher tolerance. Which is impressive.

I could spend all day in a store like this!!

@playwiththegods @ponponwei @Paul_J7 @SmallPaul If you won a shopping spree and you have one day to shop til you drop at a store like this, what would you get for yourself and why?

Is there a cash limit?

EDIT: One day and no cash limit I would try to get one of everything in the store

1 Like