What's cooking?

As per google:

Both olive oil and avocado oil are considered good fats and are an excellent source of monounsaturated fatty acids, which can help improve heart health. On the other hand, olive oil is slightly more nutritious on the whole because it contains more potassium, calcium, iron and vitamins.

What do you think of olive oil and avocado oil? You think ALL oils are bad?

Perhaps we should look into this more?

1 Like

I heard both sides of the argument, I found this video and yes I do think anything with the word oil can’t be healthy for you, maybe some are more healthy then others

No Oil – Not Even Olive Oil! - Caldwell Esselstyn MD

Caldwell Esselstyn Jr MD of Cleveland Clinic has shown heart disease can be reversed 100% of the time, using a plant-based diet. Olive oil – and ANY oil – increases heart disease, the same way butter does. If you want to avoid heart disease and cancer, ditch all oils, which are in any case just highly processed (i.e., junk) food.

Different cultures have been using different oils from the start of their lives with very few health problems, it’s part of their DNA. The health problems began when mass productions sent these oils to different countries with different cultures.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve found that most Americans have a very different idea of ramen vs. Asians. :sweat_smile:

Yes you’re right and it’s very annoying!

Buckwheat noodles!

1 Like

@ponponwei What’s your experience with ramen like?

My experience is that it’s cheap, and delicious food.
And it ALWAYS looks like this:

Ordering ramen at a restaurant was a foreign concept to me, until I learned about noodle shops.

Prior to that, in my mind, ordering ramen at a restaurant was like ordering spaghetti-Os.

1 Like

@SmallPaul Do you have any experience with ramen? What’s it like to you?

I still eat ramen till this day, love ramen, I add shrimps to the shrimp flavor ramen, My favorite

1 Like

Why didin’t I think of that?!?! That sounds so good!!!

That’s the beauty of ramen. It’s fast, and you can toss anything in there. You got left over pork? Throw it in. Broccoli? Chicken? Bean sprouts? Shrimp? Liver? Put it in the bowl!

1 Like

Sounds good and taste good, I knew college kids who survived on Ramen Noodles, Got them thru some tough times

1 Like

Exactly! I think for non-Asians, we mostly know it as cheap food, and that’s it. There’s much more to ramen than that, of course, but that’s the only way we know it.

A pack of 6 for $2 or something…that’s what we know.

Or how about this:

You wanted McDonalds and now you gotta go home and eat ramen. When I was younger, adding food to ramen was a foreign concept. I never thought of it. When I was a kid, we never even added an egg to ramen. Just the noodles. Everytime.

1 Like

This is what I think of when someone says ramen:

This is from one of my favorite ramen shops that originated in Japan: Ichiran!

2 Likes

We ate instant noodles too but we called them instant noodles. Not ramen. I think it’s just semantics!

If you have an Asian store near you, def recommend you getting Mi Goreng. Prob one of the best instant noodles out there!

2 Likes

@ponponwei

1 Like

Lol at that banana spaghettios :joy: Gourmet meal!

1 Like

I love cup ramen!!

1 Like

For a lot of us, ramen falls into the same category

For those who are well versed in the true versatility of ramen, this is probably strange. But, just imagine eating plain noodles with nothing in it, every time. Every. Time.

Of course, you don’t really learn to appreciate those boring noodles until you’re on your own in the world, and you have to buy your own food.

2 Likes

1 Like

A key point mentioned in this video is that some studies can be misleading because they’ll evaluate one element of a person’s diet, ignore other related elements, then attribute the results to the one evaluated element.

1 Like

The last decade I have heard about meat and cancer, but I haven’t followed up on it. Is there a study that confirms meat can cause cancer?

I wonder if it’s meat or the stuff they put in it

That’s what they’re talking about in the video. Give it a watch when you have a few minutes.

When these studies say meat causes cancer, they don’t say if the person is a smoker, is sedentary, drinks water or not, eats fast food and drinks soda.