What's cooking?

This reminds me of a local hospital who got busted for diagnosing people with covid when they had the flu

1 Like

I read in an article that processed meats are considered ā€œcarcinogenic to humansā€ based on sufficient evidence.

1 Like

More details can be found here

Cancer: Carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat

Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans(Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans(Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.

<Cancer: Carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat

2 Likes

It was so informative, as I read it completely. Thank you.

1 Like

That is when you eat to live. That sort of experience definitely builds character. Something we all need!

2 Likes

Yes, as an adult. But as a kid, itā€™s booooring! You just wanna eat McDonalds! haha
Is there any food that you ever found boring?

Chicken nuggets lol. To this day I still find them real boring. Itā€™s like one of those things Iā€™ll eat just to fill me up but not really enjoy.

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in Turkish food and most of the time follow Turkish cooking on Utube.

2 Likes

Anything dish in particular that you like?

I actually find their knives interesting.

Iā€™ve seen this kind of knife frequently in Turkish cooking videos. Theyā€™re used for dicing herbs, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Iā€™ve never seen a knife like this elsewhere.

Whatā€™s cool about Turkish cuisine is how itā€™s similar to other countries that were part of the Ottoman Empire. There are elements that are similar to Morocco and other North African countries.

Iā€™ve seen that sometimes their meal layout is similar. I donā€™t know if only breakfast is like this or notā€¦

Each item is in a separate dish, and you just help yourself. Itā€™s very simple and easy. Olives, tomatoes, cheese, jelly, butter, honey, and more. Just grab some hot toasted bread!

And tea is a big part of their culture, as well.

3 Likes

Have any of you tried vegan food? This Burger looks delicious

1 Like

I really appreciate. Are you from Turkey?

No, but Iā€™ve enjoyed Turkish food. What Turkish cooking videos have you watched? Can you share?

1 Like

When I was a kid, Iā€™d seen several of these. As an adult, I switched to stainless steel, and Iā€™m glad I did.

I was looking up how harmful non-stick teflon can be (scratched or not).

There are so many options today, and non-stick options today seem much safer, but my next set of pans will definitely be stainless steel.

Cast iron seems really safe, as well.

Thereā€™s carbon steel, but it has risks of rusting.

No thank you. Even though stainless steel is heavier than the carbon steel, it wonā€™t rust. I donā€™t mind the extra weight.

For woks, thoughā€¦I was just googling it, and it seems carbon steel is a better choice. Iā€™ve had a carbon steel wok. It never rusted, and I never had any problems with it. Maybe it fares better because of the constant seasoning. I have no idea if thereā€™s any difference between a carbon steel pan vs a carbon steel wok. Iā€™ve never owned a carbon steel pan, so I wouldnā€™t know. Both require seasoning.

Carbon steel does eventually rust though. Apparently, there are ways to clean that instead of tossing it.
imagen

I will not eat vegan food because I donā€™t like vegans.

2 Likes

i donā€™t really mind them, but i probably couldnā€™t eat a whole one on my own

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:, what Vegans do to you

1 Like

They looked down their noses at me.

1 Like

It was about 10+ years ago that I had an experience with vegans, they were protesting at my local grocery store talking about animal cruelty, etc. I kept the situation moving and brought about 25lbs of meat that day.

Having said that, Iā€™ve since tried some of their meatless foods and they were pretty good

3 Likes

Vegetables taste very good when well prepared and cooked, and it would make no sense to object to eating them. Veganism is a badge.

2 Likes

As per google:

Avocado oil is considered a healthier alternative to canola oil. Canola oil is highly processed making it less nutrient dense. Avocado oil is not chemically processed and offers higher amounts of healthy fats compared to canola oil.

I was looking up healthy oils for stir frying, and canola oil is a healthier choiceā€¦that is until you compare it to avocado oil.

It seems that avocado oil and olive oil are the healthiest choices for cooking oils. Olive oil for low-medium heat, and avocado oil for high heat.

I do really like butter for low temp cooking though. Thereā€™s something magical about cooking eggs in butter, that just isnā€™t present when you use olive oil.

1 Like