What's cooking?

Next time you have a hankering for some ice cream, turn it into your own private party with this jam!!

1 Like

As an Asian, I think the best dish is ā€œSichuan cuisine.ā€, containing lots of flavoring and cooking skills.

The famous dish is ā€œMapo Tofuā€, consisting of tofu set in a spicy sauce, typically a thin, oily, and bright red suspension, based on douban, and douchi, along with minced meat.

Of course for western people, scared of spicy food. There are a number of food without spicyā€¦

Szechuan eggplant- The highlight is that it contains fish flavor, but it truly doesnā€™t cook with any fish product. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know a lot of people think we donā€™t like spicy food in the west but thatā€™s just not true in Britain.

A survey in 2011 put Chicken Tikka Masala as Britainā€™s most popular dish. It was invented in Scotland by a Pakistani restaurateur in the 70ā€™s. By that time itā€™s estimated there were possibly 12,000 curry houses in the UK. Itā€™s still a large part of the British restaurant sector.

Tikka masala is a pretty mild curry but hot curries are as well known here as any British traditional dishes. We all recognise vindaloo, biryani, madras, jalfrezi, etc. etc.

And now Nandoā€™s are on the scene with some very hot curry sauces, like peri peri.

PS. A good fiery chili con carne has been a popular dish in the UK for decades.

3 Likes

In Thai cooking videos, Iā€™ve seen a different kind of wok.

From what Iā€™ve seen, they donā€™t seem to have as much wok action. Meaning, they donā€™t toss the food with the wokā€“they use the spatula to stir the food and the wok stays stationary.

It actually looks quite different from normal woks. Maybe itā€™s just a big pan, and not a wok at all.
imagen

Do people usually move their wok around when cooking at home?

In restaurants, they have stoves like this. Itā€™s sturdy and has a strong base, so itā€™s easier to wok and roll.

At home, itā€™s not the same.
imagen

Itā€™s so cool how restaurants use woks. Thereā€™s so much action! At home, that wok range will be bouncing all over the place.

Imagine having a stove just for woks right next to a conventional stove!

2 Likes

1 Like

Adam Richman Takes On the Spiciest Food Challenges in America

Haha Uncle Roger! I know this video. Sambal Belacan, which is famous for Southeast Asian, is a perfect spicy paste made of shrimp paste, chilli, palm sugarā€¦etc. But I still think ā€œSichuan cuisineā€ is more spicier than Malay cuisine. If youā€™re brave enough, you can drop by Sichuan restaurants and youā€™ll know what Iā€™m talking:) BUT it is really DELICIOUS, DELICATE and FLAVORFUL.

1 Like

I hate it when English people ask for a dish and then ask the waiter to make sure it does not contain the characteristic element. Or just as bad they ask for a dish and then donā€™t eat what they asked for - they ask for a toasted cheese sandwich and leave the toast.

These people are afraid of just living.

2 Likes

haha. I gotta be honest. Iā€™m somewhat guilty of that. Not for eliminating the main ingredient, but for asking for asking questions, adding extra stuff and complicating the whole thing. Extra pork, extra onions, extra cheese, etc.

Iā€™ve done it several times. Being annoying is in my nature. Thatā€™s why I always tip, and never complain at restaurants. If I donā€™t like how they prepared something, I donā€™t send it back. I just eat it and donā€™t say a word.

My rule is donā€™t bother people who handle your food. Theyā€™re tired, stressed, possibly underpaid, and have been dealing with annoying customers all day. I donā€™t want my name going on that list. Iā€™d have to find a severed finger in my dish in order to send it back.

Iā€™m digressing hereā€¦

Anyway, if thereā€™s a spicy dish, and the waiter says they can make it less spicy, then Iā€™ll take it. But ordering a spicy dish, then asking to take out the spiciness, dude, just order something elseā€“thereā€™s other options. Or just go eat Italian. haha

Iā€™ll have to try it!! Maybeā€¦

1 Like

Extra everything is great. If you like the dish, having extra sides with it is only going to make it nicer. Picking the right extras which complement your order shows you appreciate the cuisine and you trust the chefs.

Of course, picking weird side-dishes that fight with the main is just boorish.

I could say so is picking the wrong wine but thatā€™s a touchy subjectā€¦

1 Like

Tesco finest Pinot Grigio - with clubcard and 25%off for 6 works out at Ā£5.25 per btl - going to open one this evening - with steak - brilliant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pinot Grigio + homemade pizza margherita

2 Likes

As a child, I used to eat my steak well done. But once I tried rare, I never looked back. Not even once. If youā€™re gonna eat meat well done, just each chicken or pork instead.

How do you like your meat?
imagen

For additional reference:
imagen

2 Likes

Cooking the BEST Steak EVER in Cast Iron

1 Like

Looks good!

My preference is only a little salt, and nothing else. The meat doesnā€™t need it. This is a lot of salt for my taste. I would have skipped the pepper and garlic powder. Also, Iā€™m a big fan of garlic and would have used fresh garlic, if I were going that route.

BUT, then again, heā€™s eating itā€“not me. haha

I like the idea of using a cast iron skillet, though. I had one loooong ago, and I didnā€™t season it properly (or at all, I think), and it rusted. No good. Iā€™d love to give it another shot. I think itā€™s a great addition to any kitchen that wants a non-stick option.

@SmallPaul How do you like your steak?

1 Like

Medium Rare

1 Like

Have any of you tried this and if not would you give it a try

Unlimited grilled pork intestines - korean street food

1 Like

Iā€™ve never eaten intestines before. Or, tripe, as some call it.

I eat beef liver. Eating beef liver for the first time is no different than eating this stuff for the first time.

If a friend was nervous about eating liver, I would tell him to stop being a baby and just eat it.

But, if these guys told me to eat this stuff I would be nervous, and they would tell me to stop being a baby.

I canā€™t be a hypocrite. I gotta be brave and eat it, dude. I might need a little extra ketchup on it, but yeahā€¦Iā€™ll eat it.

I heard that whenever trying something new, you should try it three times before you finally decide you donā€™t like it.

The first two times, thereā€™s too much emotion to decide logically if you genuinely like it or not. By the third time, you should be able to figure it out.

Iā€™ll say this. If Iā€™m in Korea, I didnā€™t travel all that way just to eat at McDonalds. Letā€™s get the real experience and eat some Korean street food!!!

1 Like

When Iā€™m on vacation, I canā€™t believe how many americans will eat American fast food until I realize American fast food chains serves different food in different countries, but for me, I will eat local food when I travel abroad and stay away from American fast food chains.

1 Like

London is also on point when it comes to street food

1 Like