Which brokers not affected by ESMA regulations accept EU clients?

There now - you seem to have managed to “define unregulated” - by muddying the waters the moment I said “Illegal” ! lol ! :rofl:

So are you saying the gambling house advertised a few posts back by @MLewis is a wonderful broker then ?

Hmmm… you went long on US Indexes didn’t you…

Yeah that’s more like it Falstaff. You can’t win them all.

ESMA was only meant to be for 3 months, then it was extended to 6 months. I have a feeling that come early next year it will be lifted.

Trying to stop people losing money by upping the magrin requirements means depositing more money, therefore leaving yourself open to lose more money. It simply makes no sense.

Brokers didn’t complain too much as Aug 1st was a stopout ‘pay day’ for a lot of them, but i guess they are feeling it now.

very late though! i think he requested his account to be moved aus pepperstone!

Hi everyone! I am a new member to this forum. I am currently trading using Swiss Markets and I trade on a short term - to medium time scale.
They are European but authorised and regulated as a securities broker by the FSA and FSC
Leverage in classic is up to 1:500 and for RAW STP accounts up to 1:200

[quote=“MLewis, post:47, topic:151120, full:true”]
ESMA was only meant to be for 3 months, then it was extended to 6 months. I have a feeling that come early next year it will be lifted.

Trying to stop people losing money by upping the magrin requirements means depositing more money, therefore leaving yourself open to lose more money. It simply makes no sense.
[/quote]I think it does. Tilting and weird Martingale strategies cant be practised.

I did not notice the change btw but I trade longterm and would even prefer 1:10 leverage

I’ll have to disagree. They’ve been working on this regulation for over 2 years.
There is simply no way they’ll decide to scrap it just like that.
For that to happen we’ll have to see a lot of backlash (and the ESMA members to hear/feel it).
Since there has not been any organized outcry (well-structured, fact backed and presented to the ESMA members) from the trading community or the brokers. And why would the brokers protest? This regulation is good for the big ones - it killed off a lot of the smaller brokers (eliminated competition).

2 Likes

All us private retail traders must remember that ESMA is not a consumer protection organisation. Although investor protective regulations are a part of its remit, the main purpose of these will be to ensure the smooth operation of European financial markets. So, the real purpose of what looks like protection for traders is actually protection for ESMA’s members from disruptive competition and unexpected events.

Its universal that regulators become captives of the large players they regulate. The larger the stakeholder, the more influence they can have on the regulator. We, on the other hand, count for nothing.

1 Like

Any New updates for brokers on this list??
Would like to have more and updated options for brokers not affected by ESMA regulations.

There is VantageFX an Australian Broker (with 1:500 leverage) and regulated by ASIC.
I use them and I have no problem.

Yes only some ASIC and offshore brokers like Hotforex or Excess accept EU clients and can offer high leverage but I won’t advice to do that because reducing leverage will be only long-term advantage for you! Tested!

All aussie brokers and offshore brokers Coinexx, traderway, lqdfx, fxbrew to name a few are not affected by esma.

I have spoken to IC Markets and the support told me they do have a growing number of Europeans signing in to their platform.
Now, I am not sure if doing so differs from having a broker regulated in your own area in terms of funds security and negative balance support.

Plus, for the broker it really is indifferent to have a new costumer coming to their platform, independently from his residential area. Unless contrary legislations apply. At the end of the day, any new opened account is a profitable move for them so there’s no conflict of interests.

Btw, what about US regulated brokers. Are there any that welcome European accounts?

If you would like to skip EU regulation, then you need to seek broker outside from EU. US and AUT markets are pretty open to leverage. Offshore brokers are, I think, only way, and there is no restrictions regarding EU citizens. Just remember to check that broker first

IC markets Non AU clients are now being transferred to IC Market Seychelles. So i guess they are already affected.

Not sure I understand why people are so active in seeking higher leverage.

I have to suspect that the guys seeking out higher leverage / lower margin are risking far more of their account capital than they should be. Maybe its inexperience or it might be impatience or it might be a weak attitude to risk.

What is really behind it?

1 Like

Checked up my account for margin requirements on my open trades.
(NB: I am UK-based, spreadbetting through a FCA UK regulated SB firm, following the ESMA requirements)

At the time of posting the above, I had 11 open positions, each with about 0.5% of account capital at risk if the stop-loss is hit. Total margin about 4% per trade. The open positions are all forex, a mix of major and minor pairs (no exotics, no indices or commodities right now). Last week I made +5% on the account, likewise the week before.

How is ESMA a serious issue?

1 Like

QUADRUPLE “Like”!!! LOL!!!

I don’t get it either.

Well actually I do. And once again you’ve hit the nail(s) on the head. Inexperience and impatience (and the rest actually follows). I know for sure as the day is long that for many years when I first started out I wiped out account after account because I didn’t understand leverage properly, risk management was for others (not ME!!! LOL!!!), and the list goes on. As I’ve said before: I would have wiped out anyway I’m sure. But it would have taken a LOT longer (and maybe that’s an incorrect statement i.e. maybe by the time I actually learned all of these things I’d still have had capital left to implement them) (not to mention all my assets!!! LOL!!!).

I’m subject to the same regulations and restrictions as you are and also with an UK SB broker (I WONDER if it’s the same one!!! LOL!!!) and I quite frankly could not be happier. I know for as sure as I’m sitting in this chair typing this message that these restrictions are going a long way to making sure I don’t get tempted to go wild. And frankly: that’s the reason they were introduced in the first place i.e. to protect traders from themselves. It is DARN difficult to bet the farm under these conditions. And suits me 100%.

And what really is never mentioned: professional traders trade with very low leverage anyway (even lower than what you and I are trading with). In some cases: NONE. But this is how the marketing machine keeps perpetuating this myth of $100 to $100K in a year. And it’s working. And well too.

1 Like

Good traders didn’t even notice ESMA. Ask those that want high leverage what their result was ‘back then’ and they all tell you they just started trading

2 Likes

this thread is completely dormant
I will still put up a list of the brokers I’ve gathered