Why Pure Price Action is the sucker at the table

Thanks for the detailed answer! Well, the first thing I have to say is that I thought you were intending to say that price action wasn’t related to the past in contrast with indicators. Probably, you weren’t trying to say that.

My point here is that whatever technique we use, whether technical, price action or fundamental, the data we use is always from the past (some present data if that’s the way some look at recent data). So, from my point of view, the only thing we have to “predict” (very pretencious in markets) the future, is some historical data. And because we don’t have all the variables required to predict what’s going to happen next in the market, the only thing we can do is to make some backtests and apply some statistics in order to in some way support our future trading decisions.

Just that, I wanted to clarify that (from my point of view) no technique uses better data in time-space terms.

Quick recommendations that probably you don’t need. Just in case:
Maybe, you can perform your research only with open prices mode (faster mode in Strategy Tester) and if some test preforms good, then you may use tick data (a more detailed test). Of course, this depends on the type of strategy. Notice that the Strategy Tester has SL priority over TP. Meaning, if in the same bar both could have taken place, it always select SL (at least it worked that way in the past). So, if the results are good, they can only improve when you use tick data unless some trades took place during news releases and the spread affect and changes completely the results.

Thank you! I didn’t know that about TP and SL! I handle my TP programmatically rather than setting it in the order, so there’s that, but really good info to know!

Yes, better if you handle it yourself. Just in case some strategies can be tested faster. You’re welcome!

Agreed. So I spent all this time playing with infinite combinations of indicator stacks, and I had some success, but where it really started improving was when I started primarily relying on some price action triggers, like X number of candles in a row that make new highs and don’t retrace below previous highs, the second you hit that last trigger candle, boom. No real lag there. Of course that’s not enough. If price action looks like something is happening, then what’s my ADX, and what side of that MA am I on, etc. I’ve definitely had the most success using indicators to confirm what PA is telling me.

2 Likes

The more you code, the more you know about what can help you!

1 Like

What would you like?

It was a simple question. You clearly must have some evidence for your opinion or you wouldn’t have adopted it.

The choice is with you - provide convincing evidence, or do nothing to build trust and remain ignored.

It was a simple question back at you to be specific.

And clearly yes I do -

• Proof of trading returns
  • Proof of client success
  • Proof of strategy success

I have all of the above evidence.

That must be a great support for your decision on price action trading and towards your strategies, but if we don’t have this evidence we can’t be as convinced as you are. Traders are not sheep and of all people will not be led along simply because someone expresses an opinion that this, or this, or this, is the way to go.

I start to feel you are being obtuse.

I’ll ask you again! What do you need to see!?

I’ve expressed not an opinion, my opinion based on facts of probability.

I can back this up with evidence as to why it works and just said so.

Yet you call it obtuse?

What exactly do you want?

Your position is clear. You’ve stated an opinion. You don’t provide supporting evidence.

You cannot expect people who have never heard of you to believe what you say simply because it was you who said it. If you did believe this it would suggest you either have an inflated sense of your own authority or a very low opinion of the users of this site concerning their judgement and gullibility or you have another motivation.

The third option would be my choice, and I already wondered whether you simply wanted to attract clicks for commercial reasons. That would be quite rational. I suspect you’ve achieved your purpose and you’re prolonging this agonising debate simply to raise your profile by a cheap short-cut.

Best wishes.

1 Like

I do the exact opposite of what you say, it’s just not in this forum.

Do some homework you know I can’t share the details without it violating the forum polices.

Anyone reading your questions and my replies can see who is being the awkward one.

You think its awkward to ask for evidence to support your opinion?

Is that what you would tell a student who raises their hand and asks the same question?

1 Like

Firstly I didn’t say that.

Secondly, my evidence is not just for students it is public!

But since you mentioned my students they see exactly what I do with my date and time stamped trades. Why don’t you read their reviews or even better watch their videos on how I trade…

You are clutching at straws mate

Why can’t you post evidence here?

Please don’t call me mate.

Don’t be sarcastic then.

It would violate the forum policy to put a URL in here you know that.

Visit my profile and go from there

I will be sarcastic as I think appropriate.

I don’t ask for a URL. I did ask for evidence but I already accepted that you have decided against it. Its pointless asking the same question repeatedly and I shan’t bother you again with that one.

So, I must accept the financial risk of remaining ignorant of your methods and you must accept the reputational risk arising from your self-serving contributions to this forum. I leave it to others to decide if you are incredibly arrogant as a result of success or failure.

How about a trade log? We don’t need to see any secret sauce, or know why you got in or out of anything, but I’d assume you have at least a year of successful trades you’ve made using your system, right? Maybe paste those here, attach a spreadsheet, whatever it takes. Should be simple to show everyone a record of success. On this date/time in at this price, out at this one, etc.

That trade log is already out there in the public domain. A little visit to my profile will then give you the link to see such evidence. I did suggest that to @tommor but he is too interested in not following simple suggestions to see the evidence he is so desperate ‘not’ to see because then, his whole argument falls apart.

Just have a look on my website under performance. Done!

You posted your claims here, why not your evidence? Why should everyone have to go click a link in your profile and drive traffic to your site? Not asking for much here…