Why the Ichimoku?

It’s a solid tool and it gives clear, visual signals. Newbies might be drawn to it because it’s comprehensive yet straightforward once you get the basics.

Ichimoku, a technical analysis tool, provides traders with insights into trends, support/resistance levels, and potential reversals, integrating multiple indicators into a single visual framework for decision-making in trading.

Interesting! :blush: Do you also use Ichimoku for your trading? :smiley:

That makes sense. :open_mouth: But I also see a number of experienced traders who revisit it every now and then. :thinking: Would you also consider incorporating ichimoku in your strategy? :open_mouth:

Allow me to share some opinions.

I used ichimoku before. My personal experience with it, it goods for identify trend and the potential trend reversal. The only problem, when market is moving sideways it has no ability to identify firmly. Ichimoku is better when it is being used on higher time frame, my experience in H4 and D1 chart.

Since Ichimoku is based on moving average, it’s not reliable enough for high volatility instrument, such as XAU, OIL or GBPJPY, unless we use them on higher timeframe such as D1 or Weekly.

For now, I don’t see benefit of ichimoku as my trading tools, There are many others more powerful and easier to use compare to Ichimoku. :slightly_smiling_face:

On the contrary, Ichimoku is one of the fairly few indicator methods not based on moving averages.

It’s actually based on Donchian channel midlines; these are not moving averages, and this is actually rather the point of Ichimoku indicators.

1 Like

Thanks @S_Jane_M for correcting me. I forgot this indicator. I have checked the code, and yes, it has similar formula like donchian channel. :slightly_smiling_face:

ExtChikouBuffer[i]=close[i];
      //--- tenkan sen
      double price_max=Highest(high,InpTenkan,i);
      double price_min=Lowest(low,InpTenkan,i);
      ExtTenkanBuffer[i]=(price_max+price_min)/2.0;
      //--- kijun sen
      price_max=Highest(high,InpKijun,i);
      price_min=Lowest(low,InpKijun,i);
      ExtKijunBuffer[i]=(price_max+price_min)/2.0;
      //--- senkou span a
      ExtSpanABuffer[i]=(ExtTenkanBuffer[i]+ExtKijunBuffer[i])/2.0;
      //--- senkou span b
      price_max=Highest(high,InpSenkou,i);
      price_min=Lowest(low,InpSenkou,i);
      ExtSpanBBuffer[i]=(price_max+price_min)/2.0;
      // Donchian Channel
      ExtUpBuffer[i]=highest;
      ExtDnBuffer[i]=lowest;
      ExtMdBuffer[i]=(highest+lowest)/2;
1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing! Ichimoku has been around for ages, but it seems like it’s getting a lot of attention from newbies lately. I am using ART and ruler

1 Like

Actually no :sweat_smile:, it’s not useful in my strategy at the moment.

well, i do not use any indicator myself and i believe i can do better without that. but i see a lot of people use that and they say that it is one of the most good indicator, one of my friends even says this is not an indicator; he says it is a full trading set up. the cloud has a lot of elements wrapped together and you can set static rules for yourself based on that. you can also use it for dynamic rule trading for example to find resistance and support.

Absolutely. It’s definitely a powerful tool for understanding market trends and reversals.

1 Like

He’s right about that: it’s a set of 4 indicators.

He’s deeply mistaken about that.

We all decide for ourselves by whom we want to be guided , and that’s actually the single most important trading-related decision we ever make.

Tenkan-sen is average of the highest high and the lowest low in last 9 periods
Kijun-sen is average of the highest high and the lowest low in last 26 candelas
Senkou Span A is average of the Tenkan-sen and the Kijun-sen
Senkou Span B is average of the highest high and the lowest low in past 52 periods

We all decide for ourselves by whom we want to be guided , and that’s actually the single most important trading-related decision we ever make.

can you tell me what is ichimoku if not MA?

As I mentioned above, its construction is based on what we call in the West “Donchian channel midlines”.

They can be (and often are) confused with moving averages (mostly, I think, because some people use their crossovers as trade entry signals), but this is a mistaken perception.

Unfortunately, there’s really an enormous amount of misguided information, online, about Ichimoku. Especially in forums and on Youtube.

That is avarage of highest high and lowest lows, right?

It’s the mid-point between the highest high and the lowest low of a specified number of bars.

You can use the word “average”, loosely, to describe a mid-point, if you want to. But as you can perhaps see from all the ill-informed discussions on the web about Ichimoku, it regularly and reliably confuses people.

mid point = high + low divided by 2, right?
and the average of two numbers = number A + number B divided by two, right?

The Difference Between the Ichimoku Cloud and Moving Averages

While the Ichimoku Cloud uses averages, they are different than a typical moving average. Simple moving averages take closing prices, add them up, and divide that total by how many closing prices there are. In a 10-period moving average, the closing prices for the last 10 periods are added, then divided by 10 to get the average.23

Notice how the calculations for the Ichimoku Cloud are different. They are based on highs and lows over a period and then divided by two. Therefore, Ichimoku averages will be different than traditional moving averages, even if the same number of periods are used.

What Are Donchian Channels?

Donchian channels are a tool in technical analysis used to determine the relative volatility of a market and the potential for price breakouts. To form it, three lines are generated from moving average calculations that produce a filled-in channel formed by upper and lower bands around a midrange band. The upper band marks the highest price of a security over a period, while the lower band marks the lowest price of a security over that time. The area between the upper and lower bands is called the Donchian channel.

So… The Ichimoku (Like the Donchian Channel Indicator) is still based on Moving Averages… Just the High and the Low values of said historical period… Not the final/closed value of said period…

Hope this is of help…

1 Like

that is what i exactly mean. ichimoku is based on Donchian Channels, Donchian Channels is based on MA, so ichimoku is based on MA. Thank you for the first part two but we all know that ichimoku and MA are different things!