Will you guys be trading during this week and the week after the US elections?

A lot of instability it seems in the coming days. Will you guys be trading this week and the next? If so, what instruments will you be trading? :open_mouth:

No, I went flat early this morning, and I wonā€™t place another trade until the week after the elections.

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s probably what Iā€™ll also do. :confused:

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to stay away from the Dow from tomorrow am and US shares until the dust clears, and I will make sure my forex trades of all sorts are limited size with stop-losses too.

Take it easy.

3 Likes

Some people may think we are being overly cautious, but the result Iā€™m most worried about no clear winner. What if there are issues counting the mail-in ballots in time?

Hopefully, everything goes smoothly, but Iā€™d rather be safe. I donā€™t mind missing two weeks of trading. There will be plenty of opportunity in the weeks to follow.

3 Likes

Effort = reward. Those prepared to put in the effort over the next couple of weeks could yield big rewards.

Iā€™ve said it before, Iā€™ll say it again, volatility needs to be embraced not feared.

ā€œAvoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.ā€ --Helen Keller

ā€œInaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.ā€ --Dale Carnegie

ā€œThe cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.ā€ --Joseph Campbell

7 Likes

Sure hope volatility rises because Iā€™m long the VIX.

Going of past votes, including Brexit what you need to be concerned about isnā€™t so much volatility but large gaps

That will only come as the result is announced and anyone in a position may be in a for a rude awakening

As I donā€™t day trade all this prior pre election noise doesnā€™t affect me - and I donā€™t think it should affect most.

Just be flat as the results are announced is the only thing that really matters - long term investments aside that is

2 Likes

At the rate weā€™re going, unless itā€™s a landslide victory, probably not.

Youā€™re not changing anything to current trades/how you trade in the coming days? :open_mouth:

@ponponwei

Like I said Iā€™ll be flat on the day, I have noticed a few rather large ranging bars on stocks - but is this attributable to the election I donā€™t think so

1 Like

Interesting. Definitely would be cool to revisit this topic again after the elections! Maybe a month after or something :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@ponponwei

Right now Iā€™m more concerned of the senate hearing with Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg tonight.

Im wanting to get long facebook for a three or four day pop - this could affect the market and spill over into the dollar - probably not though

To be honest I think giving up trading for a whole week is a tad silly but hey Iā€™m a die hard trader with nothing better to do

2 Likes

Makes sense. Although for me it has served me well to avoid trading during weird times but maybe I actually should so I can learn something instead of avoiding it lol

2 Likes

@ponponwei

If anything just reduce size. Like I said there have been some major gaps - even in non gap markets such a fx, on result announcements

Both Brexit and 2016 vote were like that.

I do actually warn everyone not to be long - with leverage as that takes place

It can be career ending - but a little skin in the game up until the day I donā€™t think is a problem

2 Likes

Ah, likely to be the same in this case then.

In forex, I would say risk comes with reward. Ride with the trend I would say. Always do day trading if you wanted to join the market.

1 Like

ā€œA prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.ā€ - Proverbs 22:3

I am day trading with caution, taking notice of Fundamentals which could affect market sentiment, particularly the US economy and France lockdown. JPY is a safe haven today -whether that will continue isā€¦

I have read that you wonā€™t make money unless you are ready to take a contrarian position - but I havenā€™t learnt enough about the market to take that on board.

My market wizard friend has shut down his server in Wall street and is taking a holiday break until the US election results are known.

1 Like

Wow a flurry of great quotes. Good luck next week and I look forward to you sharing your successes.

Blackduck

3 Likes

There is some positivity in me :hamburger: :penguin: :banana: :monkey:

2 Likes

Good to see.

:wine_glass: :wine_glass: Cheers

Blackduck