Zulutrade (sorry :-) ) am I in control and is this good money management?

Hi,

I am new to this forum , started to look in to FOREX half a year ago and have read a lot last few months. I liked the zulutrade follower academy at forexsocialtraders.com very much as starting point. I gave me a good overview and, as a start, a good idea what I was up to.
I was especially triggered in "a lot of people lose lots of money on Zulutrade because the don’t know what they are doing [B]and[/B] especially because of greed and wanting to make lots of quick money
My intension is to no be part of those :slight_smile:

I now understand that becoming a succesful trader will takes years and years with lots of up and downs. I like the way Eddy Mo on this forum is looking at forex and came to the same conclusion, I don’t have the skills and time to become a trader myself for years so I decided to get into Zulutrade.

At first eTORO but eTORO is, for me, a bity too much “trust me, give me your money and I will make profit”. I opened a demo account and lost 30% in 4 weeks. And still I don’t know what I did wrong besides choosing the wrong SP’s? But they where the top ranked, where advised by the eTORO guru’s as good traders, made good profit and so.

After that a few zulutrade demo accounts. The first was barely profitable but, after understanding zulutraders better and better, getting better money mngement (but good enough or still too much luck…) the second was 5% a month and the third 12%.

I have chosen SP’s with low NME (beside tianxiahui88), running for more than half a year, checking trading history for strange behaviour, checking if followers of the SP made money or loose, looking at the SP’s the most profitable followers have chosen and so on.

[U]But I still have the feeling I don’t understand the risk completly.[/U] Yes, I read about the 2%, margin levels, leverage, zulugarde, setting the risk meter and risk weight on individual traders.
Also there is max number of open trades so, with above, I can limit the total amount of open lots.
I don’t change trades, no SL or TP.

The biggest concern for me , and no answer for myself yet, is “how to prevent chosing a trader who has been good for a year and suddenly changes tactics and loosing a lot”

Is it zulugarde? Let zulugarde advise the capital protection and/or single trade protection? If I do that (€10.000 account, leverage 1:25 risk meter 72%) it comes up with numbers like this:
[B]tianxiahui98 [/B]
capital : €4041
single trade: 391 pips

[B]newwave:[/B]
capital: €3081
single trade 227

arda1998:
capital: €728
single trade: 443

So , in theory, if tianxiahui98 would become a gambler (like too many on zulu for what I see…) it will cost me max €4041

Of course I can set capital protection and single trade myself to a lower numbers, is this the trick? Just setting numbers I feel comfortable with? But, question, what if I set them too low or lower than zulugarde recommends? Positions are closed too early?

[B]question 1:[/B]

Have I done all what I could to have good money management? And, for that, did I adress all the possible risks and acted on it?

I am at the point of opening a live account with AAAFX (€10.000) with the idea of making a profit of 2-5% a month (so avoiding the 50-100% SP’s) because 5 years 2-5% a month starting with €10.000 will be somewhere between €30.000 and 100.000.
I want to learn the next 6 month with the €10.000 and, if everything goes like I would expect, put another €15.000 on it.
My suspicion is that I think “isn’t this too good to be true? Where is the catch?”

[B]Question 2:[/B]

Any comment? Advice, suggestions, tips or even “you are a fool”

I am prepared to pay learning money with the first €10.000 (50%) and I do understand that the odds can be against me!

Thanks for commenting!

I am prepared to pay learning money with the first €10.000 (50%) and I do understand that the odds can be against me!

You don’t need to shell out cash to learn this. You just need to invest a lot of time reading the posts here and watch some free tutorial videos. That should get you started.

I think/hope that using zulutrade is a different game than trading FOREX. Trading FOREX will cost lots and lots of time which, at the moment, I don’t have.
And because of that, I do realise I take a risk. I can of course run demo on zulutrade for the next year and see, without risk, if all of my assumptions are right. Not doing this can cost me money, that I realise and accept.

Zulutrade would be a nice concept if I can rely on the expertise of the traders there and I "only"have to worry about money management.

So basicly my search is "how to now what a good SP is"and second “how to setup money management”

I have tried to write down what I learned so far and I hope that some of you can review this and, if there are errors or wrong assumptions, help me to improve.

[QUOTE=“redrooster;581357”] I think/hope that using zulutrade is a different game than trading FOREX. Trading FOREX will cost lots and lots of time which, at the moment, I don’t have. And because of that, I do realise I take a risk. I can of course run demo on zulutrade for the next year and see, without risk, if all of my assumptions are right. Not doing this can cost me money, that I realise and accept. Zulutrade would be a nice concept if I can rely on the expertise of the traders there and I "only"have to worry about money management. So basicly my search is "how to now what a good SP is"and second “how to setup money management” I have tried to write down what I learned so far and I hope that some of you can review this and, if there are errors or wrong assumptions, help me to improve.[/QUOTE]

Why Forex? There are safer ways to invest, and Forex falls into the riskier types of investments. Zulu or no Zulu.

It takes just as much time/effort/skill to be profitable on Zulu as it does as a trader. No short cuts here, just different vehicles of loosing money.

Since trading as a whole is not a guarantee of success/profit, you will lose money either you do it on your own while trying to learn how to trade and or following SP’s provider. The questions should asked yourself would be: If I am losing my own money either way, which one would be for my best interest? Is this going to benefit me in the long run? Have I learn something while I am losing that could help me to gain knowledge and using it as a tool to help me to prosper as a trader …

Everything you do comes with a price/cost attached to it. Are you willing to pay the price and your most valuable time? If you think you are just wasting money and or time in trading then your save bet will be investing on a regular known investment such as mutual fund, money market, Certificate of Deposit (CD’s) on a regular bank account, etc.

Good-luck!

you can follow my zulu provider account… i never losted a trade so far and i don´t have a DD drawndown bigger than 0.5%.

[QUOTE=“abrsive;581367”] Why Forex? There are safer ways to invest, and Forex falls into the riskier types of investments. Zulu or no Zulu. It takes just as much time/effort/skill to be profitable on Zulu as it does as a trader. No short cuts here, just different vehicles of loosing money.[/QUOTE]

Your last sentence , just a different vehikel of losing money, is what you think of trading FOREX :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=“popper99;581402”]you can follow my zulu provider account… i never losted a trade so far and i don´t have a DD drawndown bigger than 0.5%.[/QUOTE]

What is your SP name?

[QUOTE=“redrooster;581416”] What is your SP name?[/QUOTE]

He said he has NO LOSES… It’s already redonkulous!!!

i don´t have one yet, that´s why no losses and no DD :wink:

but if you follow me with your 10k i will open one :slight_smile:

actually have no losses is actually very doable… assuming that a loss only occur when you close a trade…

but having no losses and no DD that´s the kind of thing that only God all mitty cool possible expect… once he decides to join us on forex trading

but probably even Him would blow accounts after accounts until realize that there´s no holly grail… unless the one used by his son.

lets think about that and say a prair for all the elfs and gnomes out there.

merry christmas to all

[QUOTE=“redrooster;581414”] Your last sentence , just a different vehikel of losing money, is what you think of trading FOREX :-)[/QUOTE]

That’s not my last sentence, it’s only half of my last sentence… and my opinion of trading forex includes, but is not limited to the sentences before the last one.

I’m sorry, I assumed that you could retain more than half a sentence worth of information at a time. Now I know, so it won’t happen again.

[QUOTE=“popper99;581445”] actually have no losses is actually very doable… assuming that a loss only occur when you close a trade… but having no losses and no DD that´s the kind of thing that only God all mitty cool possible expect… once he decides to join us on forex trading but probably even Him would blow accounts after accounts until realize that there´s no holly grail… unless the one used by his son. lets think about that and say a prair for all the elfs and gnomes out there. merry christmas to all[/QUOTE]

Man, I did not pick up on the sarcasm…

Nice one, it was a perfect example of the problem. The OP thought it would be worth looking into a guy on Zulutrade with no losses and no DD. Lesson #1 was free, but the next one might be much more costly.

Merry Christmas

[QUOTE=“abrsive;581453”] That’s not my last sentence, it’s only half of my last sentence… and my opinion of trading forex includes, but is not limited to the sentences before the last one. I’m sorry, I assumed that you could retain more than half a sentence worth of information at a time. Now I know, so it won’t happen again.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Having a bad day?? Why do you think I put the smiley behind it?

have a wunderfull Xmas!

[QUOTE=“popper99;581445”] actually have no losses is actually very doable… assuming that a loss only occur when you close a trade… but having no losses and no DD that´s the kind of thing that only God all mitty cool possible expect… once he decides to join us on forex trading but probably even Him would blow accounts after accounts until realize that there´s no holly grail… unless the one used by his son. lets think about that and say a prair for all the elfs and gnomes out there. merry christmas to all[/QUOTE]

Hmm, when I look at you previous post yesterday you said that you blow up your $500 account. I mean the one you had big plans with, making it a $500K account

Please, when you want to tell ferrietales please do it a bit less obvious

Hello there zulu-fellow trader,

I would advise you to follow with lower amount of trades and equity as well. Do not overexpose yourself to risk! keep your margin low and thus you can make your trading last for long.

So less than 2%?
amount of trades lower I understand from “less open trades is less open lots” , is this what you want to say?
Example: is 5 trades with each 3 minilots better than 15 trades with 1 minilot each?

Or are you saying “lower amount of trades [U]and[/U] amount of lots” ?

What are your thought about zulugarde and using it to protect against a dramatic change of trading by the SP?
My concern is that it is possible that I lower it too much so , even without a change in strategy, trades will be closed who shouldn’t be closed because it is acceptable drawdown?

hello there redrooster,

what he is trying to say is the following - zuluguard - meaning follow with small number of trades and 0.01 lots/per trade. As the the margin meter and its % level is all up to you and your equity involved! for me 30% value at risk is ok, but this is most probably not the same for you. See the subjectivity here.

actually i had blow that account and another one so far :frowning:

This is the same account with $500 on it, correct?