Are you gaming?

I’ve only seen youtube videos of Elite Dangerous, how is it?

1 Like

Immersive. You need a fair chunk of time to get into it, as it’s pretty methodical to grind through the things you need to do. Some ships have to be unlocked by achieving a certain rank, and then fitting them out is very expensive (ingame currency not real currency!), so it’s far from a pick up and play. But you can go everywhere in a small starter ship, and personally I love it. It’s like playing as a young Han Solo - you can earn coin different ways, play as you like, and it feels very authentic. Some find it dull, some find it addictive. I’m in the latter camp - but then, I like Red Dead, Fallout etc. It’s under £20 now, even if you get the Horizons expansion, and completely worth a punt at that money. Might change your life!

1 Like

I got Devil May Cry 4 and Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor last week.
Being a fan of the DMC series - got to say I still love the humour there. The action as well.
Middle Earth, enjoy it so far. If you like the Assassin’s Creed series - this is similar. Just with Orcs and other monsters.

I confess, the only DMC I’ve ever played personally - as opposed to watching a playthrough - has been the reboot.

That game looks intense! Do you participate in the weekly goals? I can see how you could play this for hours.

I am a game lover and I spend my leisure time on my smartphone playing Candy Crush along with listening to the pop music. I think Candy Crush is the best game in the world where new levels are added on weekly basis. You can compete with others as well!

Octopath Traveler on the Switch FTW!

Lol yes it is pretty enormous, I have to be quite strict with how much content I try to go for. I haven’t gone for the weekly goals, no, but have been grinding rank to unlock ships, basically making myself rich enough to make a good combat build. Currently it’s sort of like being a young Han Solo!!

That still sounds like a lot of fun!

1 Like

How does it compare to No Man’s Sky?

I’ve heard mixed reviews of Octopath. Would you recommend it for a semi-casual gamer? I mostly stick to Stardew Valley on the Switch.

I would say its target demographic is the casual gamer. It’s definitely easy to play for 20-30 minutes and then put back down. It has 32 chapters which are mostly self contained and each chapter can be completed in 15-30 minutes. I personally never play more than a couple chapters each week, and I feel like that is the perfect pace.

That sounds perfect actually! I’ll have to check it out next then. The problem I’ve been having with Stardew Valley is I’ll start and lose a good hour or more without realizing it. Just gotta do that one last thing…

1 Like

Some game developments coming down for Elite and other titles by Frontier. Cool!

Haha, you will definitely like it. My Stardew Valley sessions are normally 2-4 hours, so I would put that game in the “more demanding” category. Octo is much less so.

I grew up playing Phantasy Star on the Sega, so this itches that scratch a little bit, but I still crave a sci-fi, extremely difficult top-down RPG like the Phantasy Star series. I hope we see something like that on the Switch soon.

A similar ‘right-in-the-nostalgia’ game is Shovel Knight.
Another one that’s gotten a lot of attention is Dead Cells. It got all-round glowing reviews. But has been involved in a IGN plagiarism scandal (nothing to do with the game - the author that posted the Dead Cells review plagiarized it from a small YT creator’s review).

I used to when I was younger. GTA SA , GTA SA:MP and GTA V.

I have huge interest in games from my early childhood. I started my gaming journey with Moto GP 2002 and I really loved that game. Then I came on to Need for Speed and then on to IGI. Now I play smartphone games including Temple Run, Subway Surf, and Clash of Clans. These are really time passing games!

1 Like

I used to play GTA SA. I don’t play games anymore, I play reality

The graphics are awesome but the story line is somewhat lack luster and there are too many sidequests.

1 Like