Bollinger band trading with MAs

I read something just the other night that the steeper the inclination of the mid boll, up or down, the shorter the trend as defined by that particular bollinger shape. The more gradual inclinations (2 and 4 o’clock) indicate longer, more profitable Bollinger “sausages”.

Also, when there’s a boll squeeze try to stay away…
Have you been following the last 6 or 7 pages of the Tymen thread? Some good ideas on safely trading boll breakouts of the squeezes.

Got a link or is it the DDT one?

Not always true as the MA represents the underlying order flow in a way. It’s true that it could mean a strong selloff and that’d be the end of the trend but look at EU or GU on the daily recently - is that a short trend.

He gets started with the new idea about here.

1 issue I can see is that when you get a blue signal you need the next candle to close outside the 1.5SD line. You are going to get quite a few times where a white signal then comes shortly after when you close back inside the 1.5 line.
?

Also, you need to modify his strat a bit to take account of the angle of the bollingers. ie if you take a blue signal and it breaks out, you may as well stay with the trade in the buy zone until it breaks the 20:1. If flat then you can take white signal trades…

Still do these? :slight_smile:
How come you were trading a $ account BTW? Possibly the last currency I’d want to hold my account in :wink:

No daily or weekly for me… unless I get bored. Didn’t say I was trading a $ account San. :slight_smile: But since this is a ‘colonial’ site I used $ in the example. :smiley:

Anyone know where you can get live news feeds that show predicted value and actual value?

hi SanMiguel

is it possible for you to modify buysellzones indy in such a way that it gives signal for the BB that i use which is 50 with dev 2,3,4.

many thanks.

Regards,
Damien

Random idea but using the HA trend of the weekly…load up a Daily chart and overlay the 10:1 boll and the 10:2 boll (10 period MA on daily = 2 period MA on weekly).
Using a little combo of the TalonD crossover strat and sigma 2 we have…
in an uptrend (defined by the HA candles):
Enter 50% trade on price touching the middle boll of the Daily - in an uptrend, price should stay in the upper half of the bollinger.
Enter another 50% trade if price touches the lower 10:1 boll - this would be a healthy retrace to -1sigma and provides a cheaper place to get in).
Stop will be trailed using the 10:2 on the basis that if price moves beyond that area then you’ve probably got the wrong direction.

You need a good trend for this with bullish or bearish HA candles - you don’t want to see any of the indecision HA candles with long wicks either side.

Exit point - something to think about still…
either close out at end of week
perhaps the other 10:2 boll
perhaps the average weekly range defined by the average distance betwee the weekly 2:1 lines.
etc.

Very nice, San! I’m going to have a look at that this week.

Hi San Miguel :slight_smile:
I was reading last few pages of your thread and the chart with set of bols took my attention to your thread.

I do trade with dealbook but your indicator that I saw also looks helpful, I may will try to install it in my demo MT4 platform. I would like to ask what the arrows and TFs of your indicator in the bottom left corner of the chart mean?

That was something I was [B]playing about[/B] with to show how many bullish/bearish HA candles were on the higher TFs but it’s kind of useless. I can spot a trend by looking at the chart, so just ignore them :slight_smile:

WHY good things should be ignore?? :smiley:
I can use it for timing my entries

I think you’re on to something with the 10 period bolls on the daily! In John Bollinger’s book he recommends 20 period bolls as default. But he also tested and suggests the 10 and 50 period bolls. Take a look at a strong trending pair such as EU, GU or AU with the daily 10 bolls. Doesn’t it seem to show what the “big players” are doing? :slight_smile:

Here are some trades I did last week. The arrows and circles show the approximate point I started one of my scalping runs on a pair(s). The only trade here I lost was the long U/J play at the end of the week. I held that one to long:mad:. These are started when a pair goes out of the daily channel and is at the edge of the 4hr and 1hr. I look at the 15min also. I am using the MM I laid out before. I am up 20% in 2 weeks. It would have been much better if I had got out of U/J when my rules said to.

So you use the daily, 4h, 1h, and 15m to determine OBOS?
I’ve actually been trying the daily 1h and 15m, do you think the 4h is needed as well or no?

I don’t think it matters so much exactly what you are looking at for time frames as long as the longer time frames are ob/os. The shorter T/F just gets you in an entry that gets you over the spread quicker.

Can you describe you exit strategy for your trades?

Just a little something for scalpers (some of you will recognise the paragraph if you’ve read the book) and particularly applies to those trading spreads:

Let’s assume for the purpose of this example that we are trading a currency pair that has a 3-pip spread, since a spread of that size is very common in the forex market. Our trader just wants to gain 10 pips. That should be easy, right? It’s understood that the trader will lose the spread (3 pips) upon entering the trade. So, in order to turn a profit of 10 pips, the trader actually needs the exchange rate to move 13 pips in his or her favor:
10 + 3 = 13
Now that we know what is required to create a winning trade, let’s see what would have to happen to create an equivalent loss. This is how we will determine the odds of success or failure. In order to generate a loss of 10 pips, the trader would only need an adverse move of 7 pips. This is because a loss of 3 pips is incurred immediately upon entering the trade, again due to the 3-pip spread.
10 − 3 = 7
We’ve determined that our trader needs a positive move of 13 pips to gain 10 pips, but an adverse move of just 7 pips will result in an equivalent loss of 10 pips. The “raw odds” of 10-pip win versus a 10-pip loss for this
trade can be expressed as:
13/7 = 1.857 : 1
The odds of success in this case are 1.857:1, or nearly 2:1 against.

Not a surprise to see the 2:1 ratio here. Of course, the system being used makes a massive difference.
However, with the spreads, this makes it all the more important to keep an eye on.
This makes a Risk:Reward of 1:2 close to the minimum required for all trades.
Break even stops probably accounts for a little extra

Unless you have a really crazy money management system that relies on very high win rates, coupled with small profit targets and compounded risk. But who would be stupid enough to trade that way? :smiley: