Curious...what happened to the bald guy with sunglasses and the woman, Lexis I believe

Hey FFF, I like the saying, if it was so easy, everyone would be doing it. A lot of times the new trader falls under the spell of someone like Mikey. Why, because the Guru makes it sound so simple, and then, the newb has a string of losses, and gives up. It repeats itself over and over. I believe you are correct in your observation, it is too much work for most folks. For example, Fibbo, do people actually know what it represents and how to use it. Do they know what ECN is as opposed to STP.

It’s funny how long Mikey pulled the wool over peoples eyes, and believe me I was hoping this time he would be a success. But nope, he was scamming. When he was finally outed, I can’t imagine the anguish of his followers, and I wonder how many people lost money on this nonsense.

As far as change, there really isn’t an Alpha Dog around anymore, so the argument situation is less because there is no one to argue with. Frankly, I miss the drama, but then I was raised in a very tough environment, and all of this Koombaya gives me the willies. Anyhoo have a great rest of the week

The Ever Hating Koombaya VIPER

1 Like

That is a good place to start your journey - ASSUME EVERYONE is out to “Have your leg up” ! THe more plausible they sound, the more one should observe ad work out what their motive is !

There is one every good principle in this game "Those who can - DO ! Those who can’t - “Teach” !"

Why should anyone Spend countless years learning to do this thing properly, then just “Give it away” ?

I heard a real trader say “I’m gonna Rip their off !” (Financially of course) - Never heard one say - "Oh I’m makin’ pplenty money - I’m gonna do a Pro-bono course and teach the suckers how to get rich ! " :relaxed:

Doubt, suspicion and caution towards eevryone - observe what they say and do - then if you see someone who actually posts real time trades, publishes his code and lets anyone copy his system, documents his journey over many years and finally gets profitable. Someone who is not afraid to give advice as to books etc by pm, but has perhaps a level of intolerance towards BS and scam which causes him to react in a way some of the “pretty people” may believe to be “rude”, In my book the “rude guy” is YOUR FRIEND !

Those who may wish to see him gone forever by calling names and attaching “labels” - IMHO are worthy of an increased level of suspicion by those wishing to learn to trade !

Lol. Love it. But seriously, I applaud peeps who take a strong position on a topic. I guess in Forex, you end up second guessing why somebody would scream so loud or spend so much time giving away the crown jewels that maybe you let things slide that you otherwise wouldn’t have with someone else.

Anyway, a new alpha, as you call it, can sense the void left by the old alpha. I’m sure he or she is already patrolling the fields.

1 Like

More work for me, is what that means. Haha.

Btw, I checked out that video. Crazy times back then. I’m guessing things are way different now with the Internet and instant communication and order execution. But the video was also a good example of the psychology experience these big time traders have, where they can read what other traders are thinking and how they react to market and price movements. That was the interesting part for me.

This is definitely one of the most overused and incorrect idioms out there, period. It’s laughably false and easily disproved. Not just in the Forex industry, but in every industry on the planet.

2 Likes

@krugman25 I concur.

2 Likes

Yes it is interesting - especially the way telephone communications allowed co-ordinated action to force “prices” in “directions” for no reason other than - “It’s gonna make money” !

SO nowadays, e-mail, skype, “Internal networks” just would make the process easier and more instant !

Wonder what “reasons” the analysts came up with to “explain” those moves - and don’t be under any illusion, there would have been extensive “explanations” - none of which wold have said " It’s just a game !" :wink:

:sunglasses:

@TradeViper , I haven’t quite figured out your and toxic _bobs strategy, you regularly mention “LIBER8 _bob” and he regularly insults the BP owners and BP members out in twitterland.

You should explain the logic behind that.

1 Like

Hey K, whats up. You don’t know me, and I don’t know you, but I can tell you don’t like me, and fwiw, if you were to meet me in person you would like me even less . I do like _bob because at least he is honest. I don’t care that he insults the BP folks, I just don’t.

Trading is not about community, it is about the triumph of the individual, defeating personal shortcomings and weaknesses, and becoming profitable. No one can do this for anyone else, again it is not about community, there is no community. If I knew you were on my hub, it would make no difference to me, if you put yourself out there, your complete retirement, and you mortgaged your house, and you were on the side of a losing trade, and I was taking your liquidity, I would not hesitate. It’s nothing personal, it’s just business.

As far as strategy, there is none, I am not a marketer and never will be. I wander in and out of here and ET to cure boredom, that’s all. I tell some real life stories, I can give ideas and directions on how markets work, and maybe some interesting market structure and trading observations. With that being said, people still don’t listen, and it is funny to watch folks flail about, following one guru, or another, or the latest EA. Then they blow up, and oh well.

Now I understand that you are a community kind of guy, and obviously some of your self worth comes from whether people like you or not. That’s fine, everyone is different, again, I believe in the individual over the group. Do I go out of my way to cause people problems, no, but if I feel like it, when someone puts up a strategy, and I can disprove it by using tick data and T/S, I will.

There is far more damage done to people by the lying and scamming trading marketers here than _bob could ever do. Do I defend the use of profanity, no, or ragging on newbs, not so much but by the same token he was more often right than wrong.

This being said, the reality is, when you come into a forum, its like going to someones house, you are a guest, and if you are not able to show the proper decorum, well whatever._bob was not a decorum kind of person, does that mean he is a satanic pedophile, NO. But some folks around here act like he was.

You hate _bob like poison, ok fine, you don’t like me, fine, but please refrain from casting aspersions on my motives, again, you do not know me, so you really need to stop.

Also the Liber8 thing was a private joke between me and myself, if that gets your emotions in a tizzy then maybe you are not well suited for this business.

But then again, you might be a BP employee trolling me, and if so well played my friend well played, you got up early and beat the VIPER, if not, how bout you stay on your side of the fence and I will stay on mine? Unless of course you start to shill something or someone.

The Ever Killin Time VIPER

1 Like

You went way beyond my question, but that is OK if you felt the need to do that.

Most of us are not privy to your and bobs inside jokes, so when you make bob your signature and frequently post about him, then expect the question to be brought up.

So to the original question of whats the logic of you going to bat for bob, and him simultaneously attacking BP day-in and day-out, from what I am reading there is no logic other than it’s a joke.

I said between me and myself, _bob was not involved.

The Ever Pulling In To Ruths C Steaks VIPER

Ahh, well all the same, we are not privy to jokes that you have with yourself. And the answer to the question is the same, it’s just a joke.

You would probably be surprised at how wrong this statement is. You are a pretty sensible person and speak from experience. What is not to like? Not to mentioned I work in an industry, gas & oil, where people are about as rough, in-your-face, and cut throat as it gets. I have a feeling if we ever met in person we would get along just fine

Without going line by line, but just taking the spirit of your post, this would be my response. I do get enjoyment out of community in general, whether that be my software development colleagues and I having a conversation about the newest open source release of .Net Core over coffee at a local cafe, or me sipping coffee at my computer desk chatting with the fine people on BP about trading. I separate the job itself from the community that happens outside of it, whether it be an internet forum or meeting up at a coffee shop, and perhaps that’s where we diverge. It would also beg the question, if someone doesn’t believe this type of community can/should form around trading, then what is the purpose of that person participating in a forum which is literally the definition of like-minded people sharing ideas (from the least to most experience, and everyone in-between), as a community?

Looking back at BP over the years, the group of anti-guru crusaders has done enormous damage to the community. Have frauds caused damage? Of course, that’s a simple, indisputable fact. But the anti-guru’s crusaders eventually became just as toxic. Here’s my very summarized thoughts on the evolution of the problem. Someone comes in to sell their wares and is revealed to have no expertise so the crusaders run them out of town, this is a good thing. But the problem quickly becomes the crusaders can’t differentiate between guru’s trying to fleece the community to make $$$, and a community of traders wanting to share their own ideas. It becomes toxic because now any person who starts a thread to share what they have learned (whether it be based on 1 month or 10 years of experience) gets bundled up and throw out with the guru’s, and it literally destroys the community. The completely ironic part is the anti-guru crusaders themselves become their own type of guru’s. They now suddenly hold the keys to the castle and you are not allowed to “safely” post ideas unless the crusaders approve of you. I find this to be the height of arrogance and hypocrisy. The crusaders throw out the baby with the bathwater and all we are left with are a handful of crusaders going around giving themselves high-fives every day, but no real community anymore. The word shill, guru, and profiteer gets so overused it loses its meaning, and is applied to everyone who doesn’t meet the self-created standards of this small group of crusaders. These standards generally get more and more difficult to meet as more people are ran out. Back in the crusader hayday, they would shake down every thread demanding financial statements, broker statements, tax returns, proof of employment, and worse. Heck, I even had one of those jokers demand that I show proof of a US patent that I am on. Being younger and dumber, I stupidly tried my hardest to provide US patent information, which once I provided it they sent me a list of 5-10 other things I needed to provide. I took a hiatus from babypips shortly after that. Those who were around at the time remember exactly what I am talking about. It was beyond arrogant and absurd. And no I don’t see much difference between the profiteers or crusaders, they both cause damage, both use the forums to stroke their own ego’s, and both think they are right about everything.

In a forum, people who want to post ideas should. If they aren’t trying to sell($$$) anything, then who cares. If they don’t know what they are talking about then they will eventually be revealed and fade away. If time reveals them to have true knowledge, then they will stick around and cultivate conversation within the community. It works out naturally and keeps a small group “experts” from controlling the forum, which makes for a healthier forum. If someone comes to sell something, that’s a different story, there are BP rules and moderators to take care of those situations.

I speak about this from personal experience, I have never profited a single dime from posting (but if you ever find a check, please send it my way). Back in the day, I would get ripped 10 ways from Sunday, almost every single day for posting my thoughts and strategies, which is ultimately why I took a multi-year hiatus. I like to share trades/trade ideas before they happen, that’s an appropriate level of transparency in my opinion. If I suck and don’t know what I am talking about, it will be pretty obvious over time. If I want to show historical returns, P&L that will be because I choose to share it, not because the righteous crusader, anti-guru group demands it of me. Ultimately I have found a way to trade that works for me, and decided to share it with the community over coffee. That’s how I decided to be a small cog in the bigger community, end of story. Everyone here should have that same freedom.

4 Likes

Yep, got blacklisted by one such group few years back, it was tough but managed to survive .

Viper is right, business is business and there is little we can do about it.

Fallstaff is wrong and Krug is right, there are guys, including Viper who don’t mind giving back and seeking zilch in return, they are few but they are there.

Here is a lesson I learned back in 1983.

I had just moved into new premises, purchased with a scary bank loan, there was a recession on but no one told me.

A guy came in off the street, he told me a sob story about his wife being in hospital 40 miles away and he had no money to go visit. He asked for a small loan and promised absolutely to repay soon.

About 80% chance he was lying, 20% it was true. Decision time.

Everything I had learned in my then youthful years screamed scam (actually that word was uncommon back then) so I gave him the money.

He never came back - I learned a valuable lesson… trust in my instincts? … nah… know the rule of chance…nah.

I learned the power of giving :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The beauty and power of paying forward rather than paying back?

1 Like

Hey K, I appreciate your last post. Honestly I didn’t think of the “gatekeepers” becoming the new dictators. Everyone trades differently, and if it works it works. It is brutally obvious that when someone comes in with a concept and someone says “you are a dumb poopyhead” without asking questions, is just plain rude and not that helpful. Even if the person who has the concept, is as stated, the best way to expose and then teach is to ask questions.

I know someone on another site that does this with Options, they ask a question, then if that question is not answered properly, then the hammering begins, and I mean hammering. I will add that he trades at a tactical and strategic level that most will never reach, but he always gives the other side a chance to explain, and reason.

I think this is the level that all experienced mature members should strive for. Some just don’t have the patience for that kind of interchange or exchange, again it doesn’t mean they are satanic pedophiles, it just means they have no patience or tolerance for people’s follies.

I have pet peeves, one of the biggest is folks having links in their profiles and in their posts, I won’t elaborate why, but I will report it, and if the Robot Elders decide to allow it, I have no vested (read this as fiduciary) interest at stake, so it is none of my “bidness”.

As far as trading concepts are concerned, Volume analysis was designed to be used with stocks, and stocks only, if anyone has any questions or comments regarding this, post them on the VIPER general store thread. Also if someone comes here and says they are scalping a yard for one pip and has a stop of 4 pips, prepared to be hammered. Oh and if your post has the word “sniper” in it, well, have fun with that.

But outside of a these and a couple of other concepts I am mature enough to ask first, and again, I think everyone should at least do that first.

So sittin here at the urgent care, Mrs VIPER had an alergic reaction to an antibiotic she was on. Thanks again for the reply K.

The Ever Patiently Waiting VIPER

3 Likes

2 Likes

I appreciate the reply and sorry to hear about the Mrs. We have our own allergic reaction experiences here since my son is very allergic to tree nuts and needs an EpiPen nearby wherever we go. There was a little mishap last year when a substitute school teacher handed out small candy bars, which happened to have some tree nuts in them. That involved a nasty allergic reaction and a trip to the ER.

I hope all is well.

It’s refreshing to read through your conversations and see how it never got to name-calling/bullying.

That being said, I do remember when a lot of the threads here just seemed so toxic. Nowadays, activity here seems to be a lot less too but I guess it’s not as negative either - not sure though whether there are still “cliques” around here.

Is Mikey ICT? Does he have his own forum now?

Hope Mrs. Viper is doing okay!

1 Like

Hey K, yeah she is doing better, but between the prednisone and the antihistamines, she doesn’t know whether to climb the walls or sleep all day :confounded:. I know about child allergies, have a friend that when his son was about 3 yrs old, if they even cooked eggs in the house, the molecules floating in the air would cause severe, and I mean severe breakouts, and yes the peanuts caused anaphylaxis, epi pen for life, but with age he has gotten better.

The Ever Grateful VIPER