Forex MegaDroid

This is going to end one of two ways:

1. We look back in a month or two at laugh at the time MD lost the plot, whilst reaping the profits of ‘normality’.

2. We can’t afford internet anymore.

Anybody tempted to close the second, profitable trade early?

Anyone? Bueller?

Bueller :slight_smile: my second trade wasn’t opened for some reason.

I’m such a wuss - I banked the second one and changed the risk on the droid to 0.05. :o

I’m going to regret it in the morning…

EDIT - see? I told you I wussed out.

I have NO idea it was going to do that, but my mistake. Its only 2 on the same page. Im not using any offset at all, but it did open it 30min to the second after it so i wonder if its part of the aggressiveness coding in it. i will take a snap shot of it when its over ( and in the positive ) this stuff is stressing me out:)

The first trade was strategy1, the second was strategy2 - but check out the stoploss on the second trade! :eek::eek:

Yeah I understand what is happening now.

Important note for all those using MBTrading: At 5 PM EST, there is some sort of rollover period and new orders can’t be placed for 5-10 mins. Megadroid tried opening another buy order around that time today, and it was rejected. Coincidentally, this same “feature” kept me out of yesterday’s loss (at least on one account).

Got it… Yeah that stop loss is so far down its almost in hell :smiley:

Looking back at BHS’s fxbook, he’s only had 4 losing trades, and none of them have ever been back to back.

There are incubi giving it uncomfortable sidelong looks and patting their wallets!

Did you also look at the open trades? He had a loser yesterday like everyone, and as of his last update 3 hrs ago, he was riding another loser. I for one don’t think he’s fixing the stats.

Hmm for some reason my MD isn’t trading while everybody else is… :confused:
Does it matter if you have barchart, candle stick or line?

Edit; Nevermind, I re-read the manual and it sais I needed to have the timefrime on H1 before I attach MD to the chart ( I first attached MD then changed the timeframe to H1 ).

Hi all

Very interesting thread you guys have got going here. I recently started with forex and robots and not doing very well.

I am mostly forward demo testing, except for MegaDroid, which I am trading live.

Since I’m based in the UK, I’m using AlpariUK and ForexVPS. I’ve got one instance of MT4 running one setup of MegaDroid.

Since the beginning of November I’ve had 3 trades:

2009.11.19 23:00 sell P/L: 18.23
2009.11.23 22:29 buy P/L: 14.33

Then this:
2009.12.02 23:05 sell P/L: -102.36, wiping out 10% of my £1000 account. Ouch!

Now, when I logged in to Forex VPS today I found that MT4 was closed. I guess it crashed. Is that quite common? How do you protect yourself against MT4 crashing mid-trade? Is there a way of getting notified when this happens? I don’t know this for sure, but I guess that because MT4 had crashed, this particular trade did not have MD controlling it and therefore got stopped out? Is that a reasonable assumption?

Which brings me on to MD and RiskLevel. I read that the spectacular results presented by the creators of MD were achieved using a risk setting of 0.3. I know that means 30% and under no (other…!) circumstances would I risk that much, but even when MD is in a losing trade it seems to close it long before reaching that stop loss. Backtesting suggested to me that MD will enter significantly fewer trades at the levels normally considered sensible. So, why does it need such a huge stop loss when it’s trading range is so much smaller? This is obviously something that worries me more now that I know this stop loss might actually be hit when MT4 decides to crash.

And since I’m on a roll here: can anyone tell me what “Swap” is all about (that column between “Commission” and “Profit”)?

Thank you.

PS: MD heard me complain and just opened two new trades. One closed in profit (£20.68), one is still open and losing (-£32).

I saw it, but it hasn’t closed yet. So far, no consecutive losers have closed. Maybe doing strange things before the NFP?

Short answer: read the thread :smiley:

Long answer:

1. You’ve just caught a bad period. Check the thread for Bravehoststamps myfxbook link, it pretty much charts the 'droids live history.

2. MT4 crashing out - apparently there is a memory leak in it, so it’s recommended to restart it and maybe even your VPS at least once a week. MD trades at night in the UK, so you should be safe to restart during the day. Nevertheless, you were unlucky. I don’t really know if MD will detect open trades that belong to it, but it would be good to know.

3. MD stops - in the settings, you’ve got a ‘Stealth’ parameter. Basically, it sets spurious stops and TP on the order, whilst keeping the real stops and TP on your local MT4. The benefit is that a broker can’t see your stops and attempt to force you out of a trade. The downside is that if you’re net connection or MT4 goes down, so do the secret stops. If you are worried about this, turn off Stealth.

I do hope I’m showing some learning and not just regurgitating myths!

EDIT -
4) Swap - you really need to look stuff up; try the forexpedia at the top right of this page. But basically, if you have a trade open overnight you get charged by your broker. Ish.

EDIT 2 -

4b) Swap - in fact, it’s more like if you’re trading a currency pair that doesn’t include your deposit currency, you get charged overnight for exchange rates. Even more ish.

What in the name of cheese is NFP?

Squirrel!

I am fairly new but I will try and answer your questions.

I haven’t had problems with MetaTrader crashing, but I also only run with only one chart open. Do you restart your MetaTrader daily? That will help from crashing. In general, your VPS should be restarted every day. Google t ckowyong’s vps guide for mt4 and you can see how to maintain a “healthy” VPS. I don’t know if you can get a signal for something that crashes.

If MD is not controlling the trade, the stop that was placed will be enforced. I think the reason MD sets such huge TP and SL levels is so that the broker won’t manipulate the prices to try and hit your SL. In other words, the true levels are abstracted from the broker and only known to the 'droid. This is my guess, I know other EAs do it.

The swap is the interest rates banks charge on positrons still open during the “rollover” period. Supposedly sometimes this interest is positive, but I have only seen it as negative on MBTrading. For long term traders, I see this is a real downside for the ECN. If you have positions open long term, I believe you would get charged daily.

I hope this has provided some clarity.

NFP, first Friday of every month when US announces unemployment claims. Supposedly the markets go haywire and many traders just stay away (but that’s not 'til tomorrow).

You know more than me, and I should take my own advice and read the forexpedia.

I guess I will lie low tomorrow and wait for the NFP to pass.

Two trades today.
The later one is closed, up 17pips.
The first one is suffering which is really bad since it has much bigger lotsize because of last night’s big loss and recovery mode.