Going offshore to escape the CFTC

To be fair, I do not think that people here think this way. I suspect that everyone here understands and accepts that brokers are a business and that they need to make money.

The problem that I have, personally, is not knowing if we are getting fair terms or not, let alone the best terms possible. It is easy to compare what an offshore broker offers with that of a local broker and say that the offerings are much better and that we should all be happy and thankful for that and to not question it. But it is only partly true, since we can always hope for things to improve, especially if there is room to do so. It is not knowing if there is room to do so that is difficult, or, at least knowing how to make progress in that regard.

My previous thoughts on the matter are that it is unknown to me how much a broker actually makes, once all operating costs are covered. We can try to determine the amount of volume that the broker sees and surmise that they must be making a killing off of our backs, but without knowing the full details for their costs to operate, we are only guessing and assuming.

If a broker that we use has to pay someone for access, and then that second broker also has to pay someone and so on and so forth, then the question becomes whether or not it is possible to remove some of these middle-men operators in order to get access to better services.

There are always legislative steps that can open doors for progress. But it is hard to push for something when you have nothing to offer (i.e. they have nothing to gain). When we consider just how much volume is traded every hour, every minute and every second etc., and compare that to what we are being charged to open and close a trade, it really starts to look ridiculous on the surface.

Obviously, the brokers that we use are not seeing all of those profits, but how much money is really, truly needed for everyone to be happy at the end of the day? Are we seeing the best that can be offered already? I seriously doubt it. I suspect that there is a heavy imbalance. But I do not truly know. It does not mean that I am not thankful, nor that I think that we should not question it.

I never asked or even expected to have access to free trading. I am just asking the question of whether or not there is any room for improvement. I think that it is easy for many to not question it, to see what they have and be thankful for it without even thinking if things could actually be better. This mass contentment does not encourage change. Just as many brokers did not offer a stable coin for transfer of funds until traders started asking for it (or demanding it). If you say nothing, then you can expect nothing to change. And now that many brokers offer a stable coin option, many traders are happier as a result, which has likely brought more business to those brokers…along with more money and better offerings etc…

It is similar to sales. Take a product that sells for $20, for example. Raising the price to $30 (to increase profits) is not always the best choice. Sometimes, you might find that lowering the price to $10 will actually result in greater profits. Sometimes, it works the opposite way. Sure, your profit-per-unit is smaller, but your units sold goes through the roof. Regardless of what it is, it starts with asking the question and testing things to find out.

Honestly, it is probably the liquidity providers or other groups that are the greedy ones and have the real power to change things. They probably control the spreads entirely in most cases. After all, what value is a broker that does not offer leverage trading? They are probably at the mercy of their LP’s. If a brokerage has enough capital to fund its own traders without outside help, then they can likely offer much, much better terms and have more control over everything from commissions to spreads and swaps etc…

So, if we know the ‘who’…as in who has the power to bring about change, the question becomes ‘how’. How do we make that happen? Or is it ‘why’? I mean, why would liquidity providers want to negotiate better terms for traders if they do not have to? I suspect that they would not. Greed wins again. I would hardly compare liquidity providers with someone ‘trying to make a living’. Call me cynical, but I care enough to ask the question.

3 Likes

this is what bothers me about USA brokers so much. Under the guise of “protecting investors” they drive investors offshore. If they made us happy with their product, we would never leave, right? I’d trade with a USA broker in a second if they could offer me what my offshore brokers do. And they could make a fortune too if they did it right. I guess the majority of US traders don’t go offshore, so they still make a fortune off of them. You look at a US broker like Interactive Brokers - you telling me they don’t make the big bucks? They have the whales and banks trading with them, and all they need is a fraction of that action and they make a fortune.

1 Like

They cannot be like offshore brokers. They are limited to top leverage 50 to 1

Does anyone know which other reputable brokers accept stablecoins (USDC, GUSD, etc) besides turnkeyforex and coinexx?

Hankotrade does.

1 Like

Hankotrade does USDC and fast turnaround on taking money out also! I do all my transfers in USDC. Biggest one has been 10K so far.

1 Like

I think it is right to ask the questions for sure! But like comparing insurance companies etc it pays to “shop around” for the best deal. It’s the normal vocal minority that appears to not want to pay anything rather than the vast majority of us who understand that brokers need to make money :+1:

1 Like

Yet another issue with FXChoice. Why am I still with them? I have no clue.

This time Indices and Shares are in “close only” trading specifications

Miguel:Indices and Share CFDs are still not tradable.
These instruments are currently not tradable due to an issue we are experiencing with the Liquidity Provider.
Affected instruments have been placed in close-only mode, meaning that new positions can’t be opened, but existing ones can be closed.

Miguel:Please note that our IT team is investigating and working on a solution; however, we do not have ETA at this moment. We will keep our client updated via email.

Miguel:We do not have an estimated turnaround time respondcopy to chat
but once its ready for open again, we will announce it immediately.

1 Like

Dow Jones moved +350 points with them since the NY session open. Such a convenient time for another “liquidity provider” issue preventing trading…

1 Like

Yeah i had received an email about it this am. Strange indeed.

2 Likes

still closed as of 8:24 pm EST too. Maybe they are trying to drive out the last American trader holdouts like me

2 Likes

Every business faces issues, and if this is not something regular, then we should definitely understand their situation. I am sure they will be equally stressed about losing some of their clients after this happened.

1 Like

There always seems to be such a deep lack of transparency, though. “Due to an issue we are experiencing with the liquidity provider” is so ambiguously vague.

Things like this can open doors for more questions, and when clients cannot get proper answers, they may start to speculate and make broad assumptions, which is not good for business.

I agree that the lack of specificity is frustrating. I came into trading from matched betting and bookies are similarly vague in their explanations

still closed as of NY open today too. this isn’t the first time they’ve had issues like this.

Darn it jesso! You beat me to it. I thought I was gonna be the first one to mention CedarFX haha.

I added them to my list for brokers that accept US clients who want high leverage.

It seems the OP of this very long thread needs to be severely updated, no?

1 Like

@SmallPaul is the man to talk to about that.

1 Like

Are you in the US then?

Received this email from Coinexx! They are definitely giving good competition to Turnkey Forex.

2 Likes

i was gonna post my list of brokers but i don’t want the spy’s to use my list against me

3 Likes