The current situation around all the voting can be summed up like this:

-Do you want a Brexit with a deal?
-No
-Do you want a no-deal Brexit?
-No
-Do you want to stay?
-No

4 Likes

It’s actually a yes to the first of your questions - they just can’t meet in a middle ground.

Some reading on the customs delays and potential impacts they could create for business:

From a survey of more than 1,300 UK and EU-based supply chain managers, the personnel responsible for navigating customs controls for their companies, a tenth at UK firms said it would risk bankruptcy if goods were delayed by between 10 and 30 minutes at the border.

There are precedents for disruption, including Operation Stack on the M20, which forced trucks to a standstill in 2015 amid tunnel fires and industrial action in Calais. Typically used for a few days each year, it had a lengthier impact three years ago when 7,000 trucks were stranded, taking 36 hours to work their way through.

I can easily see delays of more than 30 minutes at new customs borders. Have they worked this out yet? Maybe customs controls at delivery sites instead of at a central location? Perhaps that’s not scalable.

From my reading, UK exports to EU are far larger than EU exports to UK, so customs delays will be felt much sharper for UK businesses.

And bathroom reading if you want to know more about customs unions v single market. This article cleared up a lot for me about why the UK wants to leave the EU. Brussels runs the show, making it harder for the UK to set its own trade policy and make changes to non-tariff barriers.

So the delay vote is in.

So now, the control rests with the EU? Do I understand that right? In an effort to get more control for the UK, whether the UK gets that controls rests with the EU agreeing to or not agreeing to an extension?

Pres Trump said today that it is sad to see the UK tearing itself apart - this is true.

He also said that the negotiations held so far are not great - also true.

In the ‘hurt’ index the UK press often state that Ireland will be a huge loser in a no deal. Truth is that there will be quite a few losers all round.

Latest numbers: UK exports to Ireland ÂŁ34bn vs imports from Ireland 21.8bn

The latest tariff announcement by UK on agri is seen a leverage tool because a large proportion of Irish exports to UK are from that sector. (not sure it will work)

On the other hand the UK imports more from the EU as a whole than it exports, but having said that 44% of all exports are to EU and 53% of all imports from EU

The potential for disruption is reasonably high and the potential of price rises likewise.

Now I wonder did any of them read ‘The Art of the Deal’.

2 Likes

Pres Trump also said that the situation is extremely complex which is an understatement.

Current state of play - PM May will try for a third time to get her deal thru parliment, Brexiteers will be faced with a possible long extension with all associated risks of no brexit or else get their brexit by voting the deal (that’s the PM’s approach)

EU would likely agree to a long extension but only on a short one if the deal gets passed.

Then again we are not sure, we are told by government to make preparations but the last letter that I received from HMRC (UK tax) was to do nothing.

Most small business are doing exactly that.

1 Like

The thing is that I wonder if the EU negotiator will allow for the extension…

Barnier questions Brexit delay: ‘Why extend talks when they are over?’ EU chief negotiator says UK has responsibility to come to consensus.

Especially after reading the statement above.

Its possible they would agree to an extension if Parliament voted to leave with no-deal. But having voted for no-deal, why would the government ask for an extension? To allow the EU to offer a deal in order to avoid the serious damage to their members’ economies.

It seems that most of the market movement was already priced in and ultimately didn’t give much movement in the market, however from a technical stand point i’m looking at a bullish outlook for the pound in the coming weeks #WatchThisSpace

2 Likes

That was for round 2 - now on round 3 :slight_smile:
Better than 50:50 chance that the government can get the DUP on board for meaningful vote 3 | Coffee House

A thought I just had on this. If EU refuses extension and parliament rejects 3rd attempt at passing her deal, could then Govt. cancel Art 50 without a further vote?

• MP’s have already voted to never ever leave without a deal and that therefore cancelling it would be would be the only option that complies with that vote

Yes. Things like treaties, foreign policy decisions, even declarations of war can be made and “unmade” by the government of the day without Parliament’s approval. But the government would not be obliged to abide by the indicative vote (which was by only the lower house) as this does not superceed the consequence of the Article 50.

So they don’t have to do it. A Conservative government would lose credibility for a generation if it renaged on the outcome of a Conservative referendum and they would gain pretty much nothing in return.

Like I said above - there is no good solution. It’s a ‘between a rock and a hard place’ situation.
Damned if they do anything and damned if they don’t.
It would take some extraordinary political maneuvers to navigate this minefield with the least amount of damage.

So when should we know about an extension or not? Today or tomorrow? I read this, but it didn’t exactly state anything concrete.

Looks like Bloomberg was smart and grabbed the @brexit Twitter handle. They have a dedicated Twitter account here:

https://twitter.com/Brexit

And it looks like May is in Brussels today.

Key Points in article.

• Juncker says if deal fails, another summit will be held next week
  • Macron says if Parliament rejects accord again, then it’s no-deal

Thanks Google!

Sounds like a lot of forex analysis I read " Well it will definitely go up, unless it goes down of course…, then there is the possibility of sideways" aaargg!

Nobody knows!

BBC says the negotiations are ongoing, but there may be an agreement to a shorter extension, to May 22 I think, instead of June 30.

But I guess Europe and the world shouldn’t be worried. The EU council has said,

In the six-point draft document, the leaders also call for continuing to prepare for a worst-case no-deal scenario. “The European Council calls for work to be continued on preparedness and contingency at all levels for the consequences of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal, taking into account all possible outcomes,” the document states.The European Council calls for work to be continued on preparedness and contingency at all levels for the consequences of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal, taking into account all possible outcomes.

https://www.politico.eu/article/draft-text-eu-offers-brexit-delay-to-may-22/

Ha!

IN the past maybe @tommor, but I contend that now we are vassals of the EU, treaties and Foreign policy would be their prerogative not that of our own “Government”

However it does seem that this debacle shows just what a shower of “Limp wristed” morons we are paying huge salaries to and how they despise those who voted for them.

Now that everything is decided in Brussels and passed down to the UK to be imposed on the population, - one has to wonder why we need to keep paying these people at all ?

1 Like

So No Deal Brexit avoided until … At latest April 12. So another three weeks for the UK Parliament to come to some agreement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-21/may-faces-standoff-with-eu-over-terms-of-delay-brexit-update

@Falstaff wise words indeed. Unfortunately the ordinary people always pay the high price of bad political moves and decisions. This applies for all countries around the world. Governments seems to not care at all, as long as they have the power they are granted that the “peasants” shall pay the taxes. Nothing much has changed since the last centuries I guess.