How do you expect the Brexit vote to go tomorrow? DEFEATED

What’s the common impression of this guy. In the States, he’s made fun of often, mainly for his look I think. Is it the same across the ocean?

Here’s a song from the past in the UK which was a comment on the causes of Britain’s disastrous problems at the time (Solved in part by Maggie)

It just seems a little appropriate with a few word changes - just now ! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs

Boris is widely regarded as a figure of fun in the UK. Serious politicians and commentators know him by past actions to be a political opportunist. He works hard at giving the appearance of not being what he is - a work-shy chancer - but also of possibly not caring if he is seen as this and of not caring about his own public image.

For some reason he is popular (but only rating 31%) amongst his party’s membership but that might be because he is not Theresa May and he is not the other leadership contenders such as Michael Gove.

I think he did pretty well during his time as “Lord Mayor of London” :sunglasses:

Its a dangerous game to ask the public for opinions but after Johnson’s two terms as Mayor, only 25% of Londoners told Yougov life was better in the capital than 8 years before, while 35% said it was worse!

Then again, maybe as a mayor this is actually a good result…

Was paid almost $121k for a 2 hour speech in NY (to a HF) back in Nov, got 58k for a speech in Dublin in Jan, gets regular royalties on a book, some income from his share in property in UK.

Nearly forgot about the newspaper column, and of course his wages for working so hard as an MP.

The old saying about laughing all the way to the bank maybe.

1 Like

Just as an update relevant to Brexit - there is a draft apparently for tomorrow.

June 1st new deadline - possibly one year extension - UK in EU elections if it has not ratified the Withdrawal Agreement by May 22nd and still a member by 23/24 May (EU law)

So just agree the agreement by May 22nd - simples :slight_smile:

Edit: and the UK agree to be of best behaviour during extension (likely they read Rees Mog’s comments about causing maximum disruption during this period as a thank you)

Here’s quite an interesting 10 minute vid - which seems fairly clued up !

Watch this to the end

Here’s what the majority Leave voters are saying about May - Perhaps to quote one “THis year the end of MAY could come before the end of April” :sunglasses:

As ever, the programme updates the actual situation including an incredible vote which was just announced from the House of Commons ! (Fairly early after the programme starts) [Minute 3 and the next few] - See just who voted against the Govt or “abstained”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UEH5kqJomo

Ths one starts quite boringly - but persevere - It turns into an excellent and convincing piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hw-X3V9Jo

Heh Heh !

We have the issue of teh “Irish border” and a Lad who considers himself basically “Irish” - commenting with some authority on Brexit - Well ok here’s another who definitely considers himself Irish - advocating Irexit - and exposing many of the scare tactics and plain corruption he has experienced in his dealings - including the “Go back and do it again” "Referendums which are a hallmark of the EU !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLMEW2QGrc

All these political stories are becoming a little bit boring. I mean it in a market sense. Investors are not sure anymore in which direction to trade and especially what is real GBP value at current moment. Unfortunately, uncertainty is going to last for at least next two months

The growing tendency in ALL the EU Countries to actually begin to undersand what this insidious monster is really Up to

Here’s a young up and coming lad who is beginning to take the Dutch in a direction away from the EU

New Dutch Prim Minister on his way ?

What he was saying a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hXVTX-Rg8s

It’s gone beyond that now @peterma

I’m quite keen now to be a part of the MEP Elections and the spanking they will give the EU in general and our own “Political Classes” in particular !

Warning from the dutch

What you won’t see on mainstream media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqaQx4ZzAmo

Thing is that we will not get those elections if the new Lab/Con talks produce some fruit.

Now i ponder this, the EU do not much care re the UK, there is a growing weariness being led and voiced by France.

Ireland are pushing for UK to have a say in future trade pacts but so far falling on deaf ears - the Irish argument is that UK and EU economies rely heavily on each other so therefore what is good for one is good for both (also the market view and thus the correlation between Cable and Fibre)

Anyways, getting side tracked, I was wondering whether there is now a pressure on Labour and Tories to avoid the EU elections by agreeing the agreement in time.

I’m seeing reports that EU could be 30% Eurosceptic MP’s and I/ve seen as highh as 45%

Marine LePenne (SP?) is looking quite confident but ALL the original constituents have major “Leave” elements.

I/m sure the Tories will get crucified - but despite being just as unfaithful to their manifesto. Less Labour voters were “Leave” - and there’s quite a big “Remain” vote out there who would give them a biggish quota of MEPs

And how will THAT translate into the next General Election Results ? - WIth Conservtive party who a great many of the “Punters” (including myself) having vowed Never to vote Conservative for the rest of my life unless they get us out Properly, there will be a LOT of teh more decent Conservative MPs - out of work and looking for anew party perhaps ?

Personally I can’t see them being as badly damaged as the Tories will. Why then would they even try to help the incompetents (at best) out ?

Surely their strategists will be advising to keep stringing the Govt along and just keep " a DEAL" just out of reach, causing maximum harm ?

Ok in the beginning, we may have just had a forlorn hope - but having looked deeper and realised the full implications of “membership” together with the way so many of the original ones who switched currencies have been treated, I have to say I am now passionately serious that it doesn’t matter what difficulties we encounter, Anything is better than being ruled by “Berlin in Brussels” as a dictatorial enterprise, and bancrupted by the German Banks whilst their EU Army stands over us with their tanks.

Having seen what they did to Greece after Greece failed to face up to them, I can just imagine what they have in store for the UK if we don’t get a clean break (which the “Backstop” with its “Temporary” Customes Union and the prevention of our trading elsewhere until THEY say we can prevents atm)

Perhaps it is worthy of comment that Turkey have been locked in a “temporary” arragement with them since 1995 and there is no evidence of any intention ever to let the Turks out !

Too much scare mongering going on by mainstream media.

NO DEAL NOW

What’s next on the Brexit horizon? Any compromise to talk about?

EU has agreed to defer Brexit date to 31/10/19, or sooner if a deal can be agreed between the government and the opposition (as the government do not have a majority on their own in Parliament). The only deal under discussion is the Prime Minister’s deal, the opposition are discussing with her team how or whether they could support it to get it approved by a majority in Parliament.

Nothing much happened for last 2 weeks as Parliament took its usual Easter Recess, as if nothing at all unusual was going on.

There are no signs the opposition will support the government’s deal. Serious criticism of the Prime Minister from her own party might force her to resign before Brexit is resolved.

Can you explain to my why MPs resign to cast a vote for or against a particular plan? What are they resigning from and why is that necessary to cast a vote? It that more a protest action or something procedural?

The resignations we’ve seen lately haven’t been MP’s resigning from being MP’s, they have been resigning their roles as Ministers in the government (or shadow ministers for the opposition). The idea is that if you’re a Minister and you disagree with the party’s policy, you should resign, you’re going to be sacked anyway sooner or later.

A small number of MP’s have resigned from their own party to form a new party.

But all these people are still MP’s.