How much money did you start trading with? when you first started trading

After three months of trading using demo accounts from different brokers and trading on different assets. I finally settled on a $5,000 live account focusing only on the Majors. My highest risk per trade was $100, but mostly I put my stops at level where I could only lose between $20 and $50 per trade. So Basically it was mostly 0.5%-1% risk per trade. But I currently do $2%-3% risk per trade.

I was remember when I first traded in marketiva, it was live account but using free $5 bonus for start making money with. Then in 2009, I change broker to Liteforex broker, roboforex, and some others. My skill improve and improve now, and my balance in Liteforex was $1200 nowā€¦

I started with $500. So far so good - well I must admit I have been quite cautious so I havent made any major losses or major gains yet. Iā€™m taking it step by step really. Iā€™m trading with IronFX - no complaints. They have a free demo account - no harm in trying it out and see if you like it.

Specific to my forex trading, I started live with a $50k account. Note that I only started this after 2 years of analysis, algorithm development, and demo trading. I did most of my learning before risking money. I had also been trading in other markets for about 15 years.

Now trading forex with $200k account.

1 Like

Wow, from $50k to $200K that is awesome. Personally I started with $5k am close to $20k now, but itā€™s only been two years, this is my third.

So how long did it take you to quadruple your investment? Just askingā€¦to see where I stand:55:

Sorry, permit me to clarify. I started with $50k, but I topped it up to $200k from funding sources outside the account as a sustained good performance. I did not grow the account to $200k from trading profits alone.

My performance is somewhat better than what you would expect long term from a buy and hold strategy in the stock market. But the drawdowns have been much less than what happens to stocks during a market crash like in 2000 or 2008. So much better risk adjusted returns, but only somewhat better absolute returns.

For me I started up with some bonus funds of 15$ amount and really in no due time I crashed all earnings which I made from it. From there I got more experience and try to be cautious to apply risk management in this business everyday so that I can help myself minimize loss and also increase more chances for me to earn from this market.

If you are beginner, I would request you to start with very small amount as to get familiar with the trading process like how to buy and sell. But investing small amount will help you to learn and see how it feels when you invest money and how all the stocks perform in a day. Also, how many buyers and sellers are there, volume, liquidity and many other factors.

When I started I did the same way investing anything around Rs 1000 (INR) and by doing this helped me lot. How to trade and what happens when you invest in small companies and big companies.

I would say do start your investment if you are beginner and want to learn.

The first time i invested the money in the forex trading account was $200 which i almost doubled to $500 within two weeks and then within a months duration i busted the entire account left with no further money for trading.

In the very beginning i started with $250 and was in $100 loss in next 20 days. so i pulled back , now i am taking classes at babypips school and working on demo.

I started with 500 years ago. It went 65.00 in a month.

Honestly, it is on how much you willing to lose.

The more money that is there the more money you can risk manage. No trade is guaranteed to go in your favour regardless of what you think know or told.

Try keep your risk under 5%. I personally do not risk even 2%

I started out a year ago with the minimum deposit amount for my broker, which is a few hundred dollars.

Iā€™m up 8%!

Risking max 3%, most often 1% - 1,5%.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I spent my first [U]four years[/U] (very part-time!) reading, researching, being taught, testing, and playing about with demo accounts.

When I eventually first opened a real account, it was a spreadbetting one, which I started off with Ā£2,000 and traded at Ā£1 per pip.

With an average stop-loss (then) of 20 pips for my intraday trades, that was about 1% risk on my capital, per trade.

I strongly suspect that the proportion of losing traders who are losing primarily through a combination of overstaking and undercapitalisation is at least as high the proportion who are losing mostly because their initial methods never actually had a proven net positive expectation (ā€œedgeā€) in the first place ā€¦ though doubtless thereā€™s also quite some overlap between these two huge groups?

2 Likes

hahaā€¦ Trading Life of a new trader lasts 4 days :smiley:

With minimal amount of risks in the trading you will stand to make some good income in this business.

This is because i have also followed the same set of trading strategies :40:

My $200 was vanished in first week :frowning: but I thought you should start investing from $200 or above.

my first deposit was $200 and made $50 scalping the same day then lost it all the next day.

My first deposit was 1000$ :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been trading for over 26+ years stocks, futures, and commodities. When I started trading Forex Spot Currency I started with $25K.