Inner Circle Trader's Pro Traders Club 2012 - 2013 Series

ICT did not call it the Grail for nothn’

Looking at an old video, he stated that they have a close to 100% success rate, although he did stress that nothing is perfect :smiley:

I keep on getting confused with grails and stingers.
How does a holy grail setup look like? and on what time frame we trade the grail setups?

I take it Stinger is the example Rod posted Divergence in price

In this screen shot, from an old ICT video, the Stoc tail kicks up before the price rises, so something to watch for in the future, although have to be carefully watching the chart. Does anyone have any experience trading Stingers?

ICT video refs
03-26-12 ICT Stinger 9 min
03/06/12 ICT Stinger 13.50min

No, it was a Grail, although maybe some overlap. Would have to be quick to catch it as a Stinger

Well, my take on the grail is where the stoch diverges from the price action. As you see below on the 15m chart the stoch was down and the p/a up. However the entry on the divergence wasnt quite at an ote (not on my fib swing anyway). But you’ll see that price quickly came back down to ote and the stoch diverged in the opposite direction at which point I had my entry point based on the grail set up with a type 2 trend following divergence (which I think is what ICT calls a ‘stinger’). Granted the type 2 was minimal (and it will depend on data feeds to some extent - maybe thats why ICT suggests to use the technique on higher time frames), but it looked good to me.

Let me know if I’ve got this wrong.

Great thanks for posting examples. I mast say though i find it really hard to trade any indicators as i find that they are lagging pretty bad and moves tend to be half way done by the time indi tells us the whole story. Thats why when looking @past data it’s easy to identify this set-ups, but when trading live indi lags pretty bad.

Most of ICT examples, for both Stingers and Grails, seem to be on H1, although entry on M5 or M15

Cable 15 min market structure is broken at the 15 min at the big figure. I’m short at OTE but will take profit off pretty quick.

I got into yesterdays awesome up thrust but jumped out too early only to see a jillion dollars left on the table. Still a positive trade and I got in at a good price with good risk and size, so a win is a win.

The way I’m (looking at) trading Grails (and perhaps Stingers) is to look for divergence on H1 just before (and into) the LO KZ. Limit entry m5/m15 on OTE.

In that way it is not a lagging indicator. Similar to using SMT Divergence on USDX and/or correlated pairs.

I think this kind of signals are better playable on higher times frames as you mentioned? Although the divergence are great confirmation tools for entry i guess.
I think divergence is a great tool on smaller time frames.
As with everything in forex even Stoch divergences need to be anticipated.
Price action is instant S/R is gold.

Thanks Rod for examples.

I am in as well @ 1.6296. Finally we hit that usdx 79 level so price should bounce down now on cable. Of course like Larry Williams said the only thing that he is positive on that the trade that he is in is a loser. Fingers Xrossed

Safe trading

It does look like some one is defending that big fig on cable big time, hence i took cable. Plus This particular level is a htf S/R Big Fig and has not been hit for a while so options protection is whats me thinks. Big boys will make sure that above big fig level remains no mans area. @ least for now. :smiley:

yes, S/R trumps all.

However, the question often is, which S/R level. The Grail appears to be an excellent confirmation tools, combining as it does the OTE entry in a KZ at a S/R level. By itself Hidden Stoc Divergence means little. Actually none of ICTs tools are worth much in isolation, even S/R, although the best single tool in the kit. It would be like trying to build a house with only a hammer.

I know! I’m preaching to the converted! :18:

same. smt divergence with fiber and usdx, usfx at 79, ms m5 and m15 broken, htf resistance level, retracement into ote in killzone. short from big fig 1.63. going to lock and take first profit after 20 pips. but ultimate target is 1.6270, as this is a counter trend trade

:smiley:

After Studying all the material from Chris Lori and trading live i started to understand why it is that Chris Lori does not use mathematical based indicators, he kept on saying that they are lagging ect i couldn’t understand what he meant, NOW i do. Price is instant, S/R are instant. If in up trend S broken turned R is GOLD Just take a look fibre 1.2880 or 1.3080 ect all this took place during KZ so trading in to them might offer a small bounce, but trading of off them whole together different story. Visa versa for down trend. Trend identification can be done early on thanks to MS.
I will normally sell in to a Know S/R level without any indi confirmation. Like a did today with cable although looking @ it if some one does trade using indis then there was a small divergence when price hit that 1.6300 fig the second time.
I guess what i am trying to say there is no right or wrong as long as profitable and just like Chris Lori said if a person trades a system based on indicators then 99.9% of the time that person built the system and plan hims self, hence it’s successful.
The main thing is that person is profitable that all there is to it, does not matter how he trades, its the aim of the game.

All the above discussion on grails, stingers and indicator use is all good knowledge to put in the toolbag and pull out when/if needed. It broadens your scope and experience as a trader. That said, the majority of my trading is based on good old S/R, MS, KZ and ote. You’re right there is no absolute right or wrong just shades of grey (not the top shelf one ppf :slight_smile: ) and as long as it works for you that’s all that matters.

Great to talk these things through though.

Chris Lori is a PA trader, however one of his often used tools is MACD Divergence, at identified S/R

My thoughts exactly great staff :slight_smile:

Mapman

re Trade Checklist

good list, one question what is KSR?

Key Support and Resistance?