International gun laws

Guns are not a burden for legal gun owners to purchase

Gun Rush 2020: Americans Have Bought 17 MILLION Guns In Ten Months

https://www.grid.news/story/politics/2022/05/26/why-americans-feel-like-they-need-guns/

As i stated early, the only problem would be the criminal filling off the serial number, but if you have to show proof you still own that gun every so offten that might solve that problem

Where do criminals really get their guns?

The first is by private transactions in which guns bought at gun shows, flea markets or through private sales are later sold to prohibited persons.

The second, the official underscored, was by straw purchasers – individuals who buy guns from dealers and transfer them to prohibited persons.

The third category is theft from gun dealers and private citizens. Gun traffickers transfer guns from legal commerce to illegal commerce and are “considered to be violent criminals,” the official said.

“The majority of firearms used in criminal activity are obtained illegally,” said David Chianese, a correspondent at Law Enforcement Today, published author and former NYPD detective. “Stricter or additional gun laws do not reduce gun violence.”

A 2019 survey conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ) found that some 43 percent of criminals had bought their firearms on the black market, 6 percent acquired them via theft, and 10 percent made a retail purchase – 0.8 percent purchased a weapon from a gun show.

In 11 percent of cases, the criminal had someone else buy a gun for them – known as a straw purchase – while an additional 15 percent got guns from a friend or relative. Some 12 percent of weapons found on a crime scene had been brought there by someone else.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/where-do-criminals-get-guns

1 Like

here’s another problem, careless gun owners

Why is this such a common occurrence, and why is it so easy to steal guns from these so-called responsible gun owners? Could it be that I sold the gun, so I reported it stolen?

Criminals steal more than 237,000 guns from legal American gun owners every year

• The problem is exacerbated by legal gun owners who fail to secure their firearms, making it easy for criminals to steal them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/criminals-steal-guns-from-legal-gun-owners-2017-11

1 Like

Wonder how many of these guns will come up missing by the end of the year.

The start of 2023 means carrying a gun without a license is now legal in half of US states: ‘Lipstick, an iPhone, maybe a little Smith & Wesson .38’

• Over the past two decades, gun control laws have weakened at the state and federal levels.

It’s a mark of how gun control rights have expanded within the US over the past two decades. In 2010, for instance, only two states allowed people to carry guns without permits. In the 13 years since, however, almost 24 states have passed similar laws, 11 of which were greenlit in the last three years, The Huffington Post’s Roque Planas reported Sunday.

State governments have loosened gun control over the past 20 years, even as activism in the wake of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, and others ramped up. More than 600 mass shootings transpired in the US in 2022, making it the second-highest annual total for mass shootings on record, according to data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive, a non-profit tracking gun violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/start-2023-means-carrying-gun-215322693.html

1 Like

What a terrible record. It’s funny to me how gun regulation is marketed as the beginning of the end of gun ownership. People get scared their guns will disappear and go buy more and more. Rinse and repeat every couple years. What a joke.

1 Like

And regulation stays away from actually taking any existing guns away. Fear mongering I think they call it.

That lie has been pushed by a certain party and the NRA, all it does is sell more guns and have people in fear the government are gonna take their guns, sad state of mind that people live in

Well, they keep doing it because it works. So from their point of view, why change because it’s working right.

1 Like

It does work, but clearly people are clueless to spread such lies when this is actually going on right now.

so for two decades all we heard was how the government was trying to take our guns away. It’s fear-mongering at its finest. One party, however, wants to change the constitution.

Well I think you talked about this in the other politics thread. Lobbyist and the politicians who make deals with those lobbyist “sell” the message.

1 Like

It’s sad, but it’s the way the American political system works, it’s never about the people and the betterment of the country, it’s always about who has the power to pass laws that benefit special interests.

Interesting -

What is the cause of something like this?

Virginia school district where 6-year-old allegedly shot teacher has had 3 school-related shootings in 17 months

Police say a 6-year-old boy seriously injured a teacher at Richneck Elementary School when he opened fire in a classroom.

Before Friday’s incident, there were shootings at two other schools within the Newport News Public Schools system that shook the community.

Newport News Public Schools consists of 26,500 students, and includes three early childhood centers, 24 elementary schools, seven middle schools and five high schools, according to the district’s website.

In Sept. 2021 a 16-year-old fired several shots in a busy hallway inside Heritage High School during lunchtime, injuring two 17-year-olds, according to NBC affiliate WAVY of Portsmouth, Virginia.

The shooter was sentenced to 10 years in prison, according to the outlet.

Less than two months later in December, 18-year-old Demari Batten fatally shot 17-year-old Justice Dunham in the parking lot of Menchville High School after a football game against Woodside High School, also within the Newport News Public Schools system, according to WAVY.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-school-district-where-6-005623859.html

In Sweden we have really strict gun laws. Hunting license or member of a target shooting club (is that whats it’scalled in English :slight_smile:

Sadly in reality since the wars of the 1990s in the Balkans, illegal weapons are streaming in like water to the criminal gangs which means any criminal can get a gun in less of a day and no law abiding citizens have any guns.

Mostly they just kill each other in their turf wars, and I’m not sure that more lax gun laws would be better, probably just even worse.

It’s a really hard topic where it’s not so black and white like some would like us to think.

2 Likes

There’s no gang war going on in this case, so could it be careless gun owners? I can’t see a 6-year-old having the money to buy an illegal gun, and what are the odds of someone giving him a firearm and letting him walk away with it?

In most cases, Europe, Asia, and some Arab countries have the right gun laws. However, America is a business, so selling guns is a priority.

Of course, and that’s one of the reasons I don’t really think more lax gun laws would be better. I guess there’s no way around the equation more guns = more shootings.

Though I’m well aware of for instance Finland and Switzerland who both have very high rates of gun ownership and almost no shootings at all.

In Sweden our big and growing problems are closely related to very high levels of immigration from MENA countries and they bring their hate and violence with them. So there’s a cultural aspect to it which cannot be denied whether it agrees with ones political beliefs or not. This correlation is well documented in stats and facts - it’s not just my opinion.

Why the US is like it is I have no idea. But I will say this - if you can’t beat them - legalise it - is the wrong approach. Some countries have all but given up the war against drugs and just decide to legalise instead to at least have som control over it. This is going to turn out as a horrible mistake when looking back in the future.
En evil that is hard to defeat does not become less bad if you stop fighting it. Same with gun violence - relaxing gun laws even further in the US would to me as a foreigner seem to be a really bad idea akin to pouring petrol on the fire.

2 Likes

Agree with everything you said, Also We have to look at the source of where most of these illegal guns are coming from, unlike your country the majority is coming from within the country

We can’t forget about the good guys with guns.

Taco shop customer fatally shoots armed robber, returns money to fellow victims before fleeing

But here’s what’s also going on.

Legal expert explains why police want to talk to customer who shot robber at Houston taqueria

KHOU Legal Analyst Carmen Roe said the shooting appears to be in self-defense but police want to find out whether or not he was in fear for his life.

Saw this a cpl of days back - some guys wanted the customer prosecuted, in their opinion the robber was walking away.

A robber with a gun taking your cash is violence and he was met with same - what would a cop have done differently I wonder.

1 Like

No matter if you are walking away after doing criminal stuff, I won’t care if you take a shot to the back of the head and a few more to the back, that guy will not harm anyone else.