International gun laws

Aye - if you look closely you can see how the customer reacted during the robbery- look too at the robber - clearly high on whatever.

The detractors commented that the customer waited until the robber had his back to him - absolutely right thing to do.

Cops are trained to put protection (say a car door etc) between them and a shooter - this guy had no such protection.

Detractors also focussed on what if he had missed - look how he held his pistol dbl handed - unlike the robber.

It’s sad that a life was lost but also good that it ended there without further loss of life.

1 Like

Who waits till a robber is looking at them and have a gun pointed towards them, to pull a gun out. those people who think like that would be dead.

There should be accountability for any criminal behavior, Murder, Rape, Robbery, Assault, or Theft, no matter if it’s a penny or $100 billion, but how that accountability is implemented is not my call.

Sometimes you are also held accountable for your actions when you are killed.

Ok, Let’s say he misses the first shot and hits the other 8x. But the first bullet hit and killed the customer, what should happen to him?

I am asking this question because this could happen someday.

Then he’s in big trouble - that’s why the dbl hand, that’s why the wait.

He has weighed these from the second that the robber entered - look closely how he has reacted from the minute the robber waltzed in - that’s training.

There was only ever being one shot.

Still a sad and stupid situation - a loss of life for bits of paper some of which fell onto the floor.

Either be armed to protect or to steal - a stark choice - 2 men, one survived the other apparently did not.

1 Like

In Jersey, a store owner chased the robber out of the store, but stopped and fired six shots at the robber, none of which hit the robber, all six shots went through parked cars or other stores glass in the strip mall

He ended up getting two years in prison for shooting at a distance in a public place. thank goodness no innocent people were hit or killed.

In this case the shooter was reckless and careless

1 Like

A case in the UK attracted much attention as its so unusual for a robbery victim here to be armed and to have shot a perpetrator.

An unarmed burglar was escaping from the property after being confronted by the home-owner with a shotgun. The burglar was shot in the back and died. The prosecution suggested he had deliberately ambushed the burglars (he had been burgled multiple times previously) and his motivation was not therefore self-defence. The home-owner was found to have used unreasonable force and was convicted of murder, reduced on appeal to manslaughter, for which he served 3 years.

I fear for this citizen in the US.

2 Likes

I know in the U.S.The law prefer you shoot a burglar in your house instead of outside as that Indicates the burglar was leaving/escaping

But as I stated earlier

How did a six-year-old boy get a gun?

It was in Texas self defence laws are wide - his lawyer has made contact with police - no charges filed although police wish to talk to him.

I remember that case in England.

1 Like

Texas law used to be, shoot first ask questions last if your life is in danger

1 Like

Sound absolutely right. It would only have take a fraction of a second for the perpetrator to swivel round and start shooting to eliminate witnesses or intimidate resistance. Unreasonable to wait until a weapon is raised and pointed.

1 Like

The only problem is this law is being challenged

Case now over to a Grand Jury.

Analysis is that even if indicted a jury would be reluctant to convict.

On Monday the ME identified the robber who had a criminal record and was on bond (bail) when his death occurred.

Not a good outcome for all concerned.

This thread is about law - I suppose if we adhered to 10 simple laws written back between 16th and 13th century BC things might be different - sounds simple I know.

1 Like

What is the charge, do you know?

The GJ to decide whether action was justified.

Armed Houston taqueria customer justified in shooting armed robbery suspect under Texas law: legal expert | Fox News

1 Like

Haven’t noticed any UK media coverage of this but I suspect its being blown out of proportion by the anti-gun lobby in the US.

Suppose the customer had hit the bad guy over the head with a chair? It wouldn’t get a mention more than 50 miles from the location.

1 Like

Inner city gang wars have killed a lot of people, again where are these guns coming from in such large quantities and yes I also blame the young thugs for their behavior

Woman dies after mass shooting at Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Florida

A woman has died following a shooting during a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Florida, sheriff’s officials said Tuesday.

The unidentified 29-year-old Fort Pierce native was at a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration in Fort Pierce, Florida, with her 6-year-old daughter on Monday when shots rang out between two rival gangs, St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Brian Hester said on Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/8-shot-mlk-day-event-024900010.html

Don’t understand this.

Man arrested after killing 24-year-old trying to steal his car, Missouri cops say

Kress, 26, was charged with second-degree murder and armed criminal action, St. Louis police said.

Missouri law states that a person can use deadly force for self-defense but not to protect one’s property.

An Illinois man has been arrested in the fatal shooting of a 24-year-old outside a Missouri gas station, police say.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-arrested-killing-24-old-211234189.html
The fatal shooting happened around 2:10 a.m. on Jan. 7 in the parking lot of a Conoco gas station, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department said.

Surveillance footage showed Jesse Lopez was trying to steal a car belonging to Brett Kress, when Kress shot at him, KSDK reported, citing a probable cause statement. Kress, from Sauget, Illinois, chased after Lopez and shot him three times, according to KSDK.

Officers found Lopez unconscious and not breathing. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Man, the last couple of days here in the US has been tough. We’re at 39 mass shootings now in 2023. over just 24 days.

That’s crazy!

2 Likes

It’s been a blood bath with no end in sight