My journey journal...from demo to live...and beyond

Hey Journal.

Alright, let me show you this last trade. Another loser. I’ll show you why.

Well, I’m looking at the dark blue line. Looks like, if it continues to go up, to cross at 39, 40. What made me pull the trigger was seeing those doji candles 3 and 4 back. Actually, 3 doji candles in a row. Got in at 416.

Then, all I do is wait. I need to see the crossover.

Boy, it looked like it was going to.
But, no.
This is when I jumped.
Lost 6.9 pips.

Well, sure, I’m not happy. And why.
Again…it didn’t cross over.
I’m getting fooled.

I can’t tell you how many times this has happened to me, in the beginning, when I was working on the 1min charts. Then, after some time, I did correct the matter. Like I said earlier, I did get success finding the crossovers, than the fakes. I mean, just look over at the 1min chart, to the left. Doesn’t it seem plausible? Of course it does. But, I can do better.

Journal, you have to remember, this is my first attempt at the 5min charts. I have to get used to it. I know there is a difference between the different time frames.
Time.

Looks like today is a down day. All you have to do is look there at the higher time frames.

But wait, Mike. You just got done telling me that you don’t buy into what’s going on in the higher time frames?

Journal, wait.
Let’s put this into the proper perspective. I think the difference is between my trading and market context.
The way I trade can go either one of two ways (I think). Either trend trading, or counter trend trading. Now,

--------Live action--------

Stop. I’ll talk later.
I just took a screen shot.
I’m not going to get fooled again. Look.

Looks like it’s going to happen again. Huh.

And again.

I’m not buying it.
I need to see a crossover!

How about now, Mike?

Well, yeah, but the close of this candle is in 4 minutes and 23 seconds. Then I will. Got to be patient.

Yeah Journal, now what…
It just closed. Did it crossover up?
Nope. It didn’t. Take that.
I’m still gonna wait.

Hmmmm.
What does the market want to do?
I don’t know.
I don’t care.
I need to see.
I need to follow.

Journal…I’m getting hungry.
It’s time to eat.
Man, that reminds me. I should clue you in on this diet that I’ve been on, for like a month now.
We’ll talk about it later.

Mike

Hey Journal.
Well, how about a visual.
Allison finally woke up. So, I just grabbed her for some pictures.
Hold on to your seat. It’s not pretty.

Well, I guess the good thing is, that’s this will be counted as the before picture. You know, like they do on the weight watchers commercials.
Oh well, I will laugh at this when I get skinny.
So, there’s our dog, Benny.
And, well, what can I say. It’s a starter office. Chair not so good. That’s why I have to pad it. And you might be able to see some of the things on my walls.
And, you caught me eating some cereal. But, I had to catch her to take the pic, you know. She doesn’t always stay around the house. She’s young. 20. And mobile.
Oh, you can’t see my recliner, but it’s on the left. Nothing all that.

So, this is my start.

one of these days…it’ll be better…

Mike

3 Likes

Hey Journal.

Been watching. And we have a crossover. First one since my start of the day.
Got in.
Here’s the screen shot as soon as I got in.

As soon as that candle started, I got in.

Well, let’s just see what happens.
The plan…stay in till the opposite crossover. That’s all.

Mike

Ok Journal.
Well, I’m going to keep you up on these trades. No matter what.

Yep. Another loss.
Why?
Well, I’m following the plan. Until I see that it doesn’t work, then I’ll change. Until then, that’s what I’m gonna do.

Now, if you look closely, you’ll see that I got in going down.

What’s up with that? You making this all up as you go, or what?

Journal, relax. The fact is, I never revealed the entire plan to you at the onset. Trust me, I would be highly upset with myself if I was doing that.
I remember doing this when I was on the 1min charts.
I take each crossover. Going whichever way.
See, there hasn’t been a crossover since I started. (In hindsight, I was an hour and a half too late, for this humongous drop. But what can I do. So, that one right there at 12:30 was the first crossover. Then what do you know, it was a fake out. Like 20 minutes later, crossed back over.
Oh well.
I stick with the plan.
But, the plan is to close it when it happens, but then, immediately get in going the other way. And that’s what I did. I don’t know, kinda looks like we hit a support level. In which means I will probably get whip sawed pretty good. From here on out. But, I don’t know that for sure. Look, I don’t know what it’s going to do. Again. The plan is to follow.

I’m not going to speculate which way I think it should go. Or what the other time frames maybe will hint to. Cause you know what? For every speculation for going one way, I bet I can give you a good reason for why it can go the other way. I’ll find a higher time frame to make that a plausible scenario.

I’m gonna ride this out. I need a pretty good sample size to tell me that it’s not going to work.
Sure, the losses will come. But, as long as I keep with the rules, inevitably I will be riding some good long runs. And then, after a large enough sample size, I will see whether the trend happens more than whip saws. Basically, profit or not.

Will show you the next move.

Mike

Hey Journal.
Long time no see.
Well, here we go again.

Well, lost again. Man…my wall will be filled with a lot of minus’s. I’ll talk about that later.
Well, I closed out the short trade. Why? Cause it crossed over. Then immediately went north with it.
Sooner or later, I should recoup the losses.

But, at the moment, it is looking good, for some distance.
Who knows?..
Right?..
No one!

I will follow.

Mike

Journal.
Well, finally, I get to talk to you about the other side of the coin.
Let’s check in to what’s happening to the trade.

Well, well, well. What do you know. In profit. (Bought at 81.121).
But, did it crossover yet?
Nope.
I didn’t do anything yet. Still waiting.
But I wanted to talk about something else. Take …

--------Live Action-------

The candle just closed. But, did it cross over yet. No. It didn’t.
So, I got like 4 minutes before I make the next decision.
I got to hurry with this.

I was saying.
Take a look at the 15 minute chart, right top. It did cross over. But, I don’t know how I can add another position. See, if I put on another size, then the broker will average them both out, and put it at an average price. But what if I wanted to go south on the 5min chart, like I’ve been doing? It would screw things all up. Cause I would sell twice, and that would cancel out the 15 minute trade. I would not be in the market then. See, it gets messed up. The trades are not individuals. So, bottom line is I don’t know how to keep the different time frame trades separated.

So, that was just some of my thinking. Man, would I like it if I can have some running on their respective time frames. But, it won’t work. The only way, I thought of, that would work is if I used the NZD/JPY pair as another longer term trade. But, that would defeat the whole purpose of an anchor trade. I don’t know. Was just a thought. Or, get another broker. Sure. But, no.

Anyway, we’re still rolling. No crossover yet.

Alright Journal, come back when something else happens.

Mike

Well, it happened.
Down we go.

Mike

Well, here we go again.
Whip sawed.
Going back up.

Now, how am I supposed to know that it’s going back up?
I don’t know. I’m just following.
Someone could say “Why don’t you pay attention to the 15 minute time frame. It’s UP.”
But then, I would say "What tells me that that is the tell? Cause, if you want to look at the other higher time frames, then on the daily, it’s down. And on the 4hr. Even on the 1hr time frame. It’s all down.

See what I mean? We just don’t know.
What is happening today is a bear market, on today only. You’ve been here. What is making it go up is just a correction from what transpired earlier _today. _ Profit taking, possibly.

Look, my only point is, I just don’t know. I gave up on trying to determine which way is the correct way. I think eventually we should find out whether the crossover system works on this particular time frame or not. Surely we know that on the higher time frames, the more pips are accrued.

I don’t know. The other thing that keeps popping up in my head, from time to time, is Terry telling me, “Your first goal is for a break even. Protect the account, first and foremost.”

Now, I don’t know how to reconcile that to my principle of FOLLOWING. Are they even in the same ball park? I just don’t know. What is his principle anyway? It’s a trading principle. My principle is more of a strategic principle.

Journal, please, don’t mind me. I’m just thinking out loud. It means nothing. I can’t figure it out yet. I’m just talking, that’s all. I guess over time, it’ll make sense to me. I mean, I could make the rules a little different. Like instead of following the ending crossover, make a rule for a stop loss point. Something like that. But, that’s getting a little complicated. I’ll just have to see what happens over a large sample size. You know, will the winners out perform the losers.

See, we don’t know how long the trends will last. As opposed to when the whip saws take place.
Just don’t know.

Now look. Just take a look at the 15 minute time frame. That surely would have kept me out of that last loss.
I don’t know. I’m starting to wonder if that should be my go to time frame. But, I can see it now. I will then be talking about the 1hr time frame as being better. And then…the 4hr…then the daily…

We’ll see what the numbers show. Over time.

Thanks for listening Journal.
I hope you don’t get tired of me. Cause, I got to use you.

Mike

Oh, I’m not going anywhere. Probably got a little over an hour before Trish comes home. Then I think it’s done for the day. We’ll see.

Hey Journal…
Was just thinking. What do you think about this?
Take a look.

This is not a new chart. I showed it to you a little earlier. Top middle (5min). Look at the bottom left, where I got in at. That was at 81.121, remember? Well, it took off. Then it corrected. Sure, crossed below, but, what about this…
What if I just switched it over? To the 15 minute chart?

What?

Yeah, just switch it over!
I know I like to stay with the particular time frames, you know, trade the time frame. But, why cannot I switch it over? So, it’ll be like I treat it like it’s on the 15 minute time frame now. If I would have done that, then surely I wouldn’t have jumped out of it.

Then, my exit will be monitored when the crossover takes place on that 15 minute time frame. And, if it still climbs, then I can make it to the 1hr time frame. Cause just look at that one now. It possibly could be on the up, huh?
Well, let’s pretend that I do that. What in effect I will be doing is holding on to my trades longer. I won’t be cutting my trades short (like we’re supposed to). Well, this is just a thought.

I’m seriously thinking about this.
Simple.
If it makes it to the next higher time frame, then switch it. Then, I will follow the rules in that time frame. You know, wait for the next crossover to take place there.

This is the present shot.

I bought it at 81.247. But, what would constitute me switching it?
Well, I guess I could follow the dark blue line (9 ema). Once the 9 ema line reaches my break even point, then I could switch. Thus causing me to make the switch.

I’m thinking of doing this.
I’ll let you know.

Mike

Alright Journal, here it is. The 15 minute time frame just ended. And now I’m going to switch it over to it. Because where I bought it, 81.247 , is lower than what the 9 ema line is presently at, 81.268 .

Yeah, I zoomed out to see where I first bought it (bottom right in that time frame). So, if I would have had that rule then, then I would be still in profit. But, that didn’t happen. It’s ok. I’m moving on.

I know it’s moving up. And we’re all happy about it. I’m sure this doesn’t always happen. But, I think this rule will be headed under the principle of letting your profits run.

Stay tuned.

Mike

P.S. — I’m so sorry for clogging up this thread. I’m sure we have some angry people keep seeing this stupid thread popping up!!!
I’m sorry!!
Almost done for the day.

Journal, this is it for the day. I got to make dinner for us.
So, this is what I have decided to do.
I put in a stop loss. At 81.292 . Which is 5 pips of profit. So, I locked in that profit. Basically, I’m protecting the position. Cause I’m shutting it down now.
It’s family time.

Man, I wanted to give a summary of how my first day on the job went. But, I guess not.
We’ll see if I can do this sometime later, or tomorrow morning.

Mike signing out.

Mike
i have really enjoyed reading your journal and thank you for sharing your experiences, both good and bad. One observation i would make is that you seem to make everything too complicated.

I have been trading now for many years and in the beginning i did the same thing. It was only when i simplified things, both my trading techniques and my analysis that i started to be successful.

Just a thought.

all the best

1 Like

Good Morning Journal!

Good Morning Mike.

First off…let me say, that I’m sorry for yesterday. Boy, did I do way too much talking on here. I apologize sincerely. So, today is going to be a better day. For many reasons. You’ll see.

And to Diabolo…thanks!

But, Journal, we do need to talk now.
First off, what a good morning I had. It was the same routine as yesterday. I’M LIKING IT!!! But, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. Man, after all of what I went through yesterday, I’m such a dummy. And I’m not just saying that. I mean it. Well, it’s time to live and learn.

In regards to my trading, I have realized so very much. First off, I realized that what I do at the end of every day should mean something. I mean, it does. There is a reason why I keep track of all the JPY pairs. Because that tells me the longer term direction that is underlying what is going on inside of a day. I know I’ve switched to the intraday trading. Yes, it is a different dynamic. Something I’m not used to. Of course. Cause yesterday was the first time ever that I’ve paid attention the entire day. Anyway.

I know that I was on this following kick. Man…I don’t know why. I thought it is a good trading principle. But, what I realized this morning is that I need to build on what I have already established. That has to do with what the flow is on the longer term time frames. More specifically, on the daily time frame. I have built something that I believe in. So, where was I yesterday in regards to that? Yeah, I was absent, from it. It was missing. I was wrong. And I’m going to correct this. Now.

Let me just show you something, Journal. This is the ending product of my end of day numbers. Called the DAILY’S.

This is the ending product of all 8 JPY pairs total pip spread, from the 5/9 ema’s. Basically, when it is going up, this tells me the Yen is weakening. When it is going down, then the Yen is getting stronger. Across the board. I’ve showed you this before. But, ever since I had the epiphany of having an anchor trade, well, I’ve developed this same chart for my pair, AUD/JPY. And here it is.

So, end of day numbers here for the AUD/JPY. What this is telling me is that the AUD is gaining strength against the JPY. Ok, that’s good info.

Now, getting back to my dilemma of whether I should follow, or speculate, I have determined that there is a flow. And what I need to do is use the principle of waiting for the right moment to attack. Remember me telling you when I did some research of how tigers go about catching their prey? Well, that hit me pretty hard this morning. I was remembering that. And I do believe this should be the premise of how I trade, during the intraday style. I need to pick which way I’m going to go. Yeah, it is a bias. Man…I don’t like that word! I would rather be objective, than bias.

I guess what’s more important is knowing what the flow is. Whether I’m right or wrong about what the flow is, I need to attack the market with that as a premise, rather than believing it’s completely out of our control. We don’t know what the market wants to do, in the short term. Yeah, I believe that. But, I guess I do believe in some kind of flow taking place. Why? All you have to do is look at my charts up there. It flows! There’s some kind of pattern to it! That is undeniable. Look, I don’t want to profess that I know what the market wants to do, or where it’s going to go, but, there is some sort of sense to it all. I guess it all comes down to time. I do remember that one of my principles of market behavior is believing that the DAILY time frame is most accurate, on determining what might happen for future movements. I do believe that.

Given all that nonsense, this is what I’m going to do today.
My determination, for the direction of my pair, is going to be north. It’s that simple. I will only trade going up. And, I’m going to use the 15 min chart. I will stay on that only today. Yes, I’m going to continue with the crossover method, but when it turns from low to high.

So, as I was typing, things took place. I’ll show you where I’m at.

I’m on the top right, 15min.
I waited, for the most part, for the crossover going up. Got in. But, it turned down. This took place as I was typing this post. Then checked, then just now jumped. Why? Cause it surely crossed back down. Oh well. Can’t win them all.
But, you better believe I will keep tabs on this today. When the flow turns around, for up, I’m getting back in.

Journal, I got to run for a couple errands now.
Will be back.

Mike

And I promise not to clog up the joint today!!!

Hey Journal.

Well, I just got done ripping up an entire post to you. I got it out of my system (without jamming this place up).
So, I’ll give you some bottom lines.

I’m going back to following.
No more bias.

I’m gonna work on the 15 minute time frame, only. I proved it won’t work on the 1min, 5min, now I feel I have to give this one a chance. Journal, I know I waffled. But now, I’m done. I’m convicted. If I change, then it will be because the numbers have told me.

What a day, what a day, what a day.
Such the mental anguish.
I’m ok though.

15 min time frame, since this morning.
All I know is, from now on, I’m gonna follow. That’s it.
I just got tired of seeing this trend last forever! Trust me, for intraday, it’s gut wrenching.

The latest is, I’m in. Going north. From the second green candle. Thanks in part by the 5 min chart.
My only job now is to stay in it till the end.

Alright Journal.
I’m out.

Mike

P.S. — This is as simple as I can get it.

Good Morning Journal!

Good Morning Mike.
How you doing?

I’m ok.
Had a wonderful morning, once again. Boy, I am seriously taking care of business, concerning my body. The changes are taking place. 4 days into it, and feeling it. Literally. It was on yesterday’s run that I had to cut it a little shorter. My calf’s really tightened up. And, for as cautious as I have been, I stopped running. But walked the rest of the way. So, I found out how far I’m going (thanks to this fit-bit devise that goes on your wrist, to find the mileage). From our circle, to the other circle (that I turn around at), and back, to our circle, is a total of only .6 miles. I know, not much. But, oh well. It’s not as easy as I thought it used to be. But, I know I will look back on this and laugh at it. Cause I know what my body used to do.

Anyway, I started out running the .6 miles, then walked .6 miles. But, everyday I wanted to extend the running part. So this morning, I’m up to running about .7 or .8 miles, and walked the rest (of the 1.2 miles in total). Ok. That’s all good and nice, but what’s interesting now is Trish wants to get into doing that also. But for walking. So, I still do my routine at 4:30 but she wakes up at 5 now to go out and walk. And, it was nice. Us 3 (with Ben our dog) went out just shortly after 5 for that walk. On the same route, one complete lap (.6 miles). This is even better for me!

Anyway Journal, something is on my mind. I need to talk about this.
—SUCCESS
What is it?
What is it for me?
What if I don’t have success, does that mean failure?
Are there degrees of it?
Is it as simple as winning or losing?

Well, I guess the best way to start is with the definition. Let me look it up now.

• the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one’s goals.
  • the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
  • a performance or achievement that is marked by success, as by the attainment of honors.

Let’s look at this.
For that first point, I see that there is a prerequisite. In order for success, you have to have some kind of goal to begin with. That is important. Have a goal. Knowing what it is to be attained.
Then, it’s understood that there is the attempts, tries, that take place before the end of the goal. That’s plural. Multiple actions in between the ending. Ok. Therefore, I think it would be safe for me to think of this as steps. Steps.
Then, I think it goes even further. Not just steps, but favorable, prosperous steps. In my mind, I’m thinking of met steps. I guess it could be a bunch of successful steps, huh? And, when I really think about it, I guess the opposite of that would be non-met steps. Meaning, they were not satisfied, met, accomplished. So, yeah, it is about achieving specific tasks along the way. So, I’ll make this point…achieved steps.

That second point, I think, is talking about a specific kind of goal. Money, position, or honor. Well, I don’t think that pertains to me. Cause, I’m not after either of those things.The world might be, but not me.

The third point. I don’t even know what that means. Maybe of what others might see in a person. Again, I don’t think that’s pertaining here.

So, let’s put this all together. We have a goal, at the end. But, before I get there, there are steps that must be met. I could think of it as climbing accomplishment. I like visuals. How about this. Say a small child wants to get to the top of a set of stairs. For the little one to get to the top, he would have to successfully get on top of each and every step, before the last one.

Man…I’m reminded of our house when I was very young. We had a set of stairs, up to the second floor. Being the oldest of 7 kids, it seemed like we always had a baby around. Well, at the bottom of the stairs we had a gate. It was wooden. And it stayed at the bottom of the steps, to block the entrance. You know, because of the baby. Well, from time to time, someone would forget to put it back, across the bottom, after they went up them. And you know what that means. And there were times, when the baby took advantage of that. Next thing you know, my mom would be like, “Oh my goodness! What are you doing up there!” You would see the baby half way up there, looking through the wooden stakes on the side of the banister, out at everyone. Yeah, probably with a smile on his face. Then she would be like, “Alright, who didn’t put back the gate?!”. Well, looking back on it, it was pretty dog-gone funny. You know kids, they just want to climb.

Sorry about that. A bit off topic. That was the image in my mind when I was talking about climbing up steps. So, let’s get back to that, shall we?

I’m talking about success. And it looks like it comes by way of multiple achievements. Accomplishments. Just like my little brother found success ( well, half way up anyway), I want success also. Of course. And like everybody else. But, I want to take it a bit further. My end goal is this. My own trading business. It’s all mind mapped out. What about specifically? How do I know if I’ve found success in a day. I mean, does it all boil down to whether or not I made money today?

Well, I guess the only other thing I can do is compare this to my other job. I’ve gotten good with that over the years. So, at the end of every day, on our ride home, me & Trish talked (pretty close to getting out at the same time). “How was your day?” And, well, honestly, every time I would summarize it by saying how many hours I turned. And if it was around 12 (my goal) then I was pretty happy. Every day was different. Some days higher, some lower. It was a measure of how well I did. Some days I couldn’t help it, if we were slow. Some days I got lucky, with getting the good jobs. But, no matter what the answer was, it was the best that I could do. Well, honestly, during the last couple months, there was one time that I answered to her that I wasn’t too productive, (too much talking about everyone’s jobs, at the time). For the most part though, I always gave it my best. And I knew that that is all I can do. Regardless of how many hours I turned. So, what did it matter what I ended up with, if I did the best that I can do? I mean, the only difference was on how happy or satisfied I was with the ending results.

Ok. So. Was I successful? Well, yes. Most days, actually, pretty much every week, for the longest time, I always produced plenty of hours worth of a paycheck. It was business as usual. Good hours. Good paychecks. (And let me tell you…it’s amazing how long I hung in there doing something I really don’t like. Honest to goodness.) Anyway. My productivity turned into success. And what I call success, at the time, was producing the amount of hours that I knew I had a track record of doing. Someone would say that turning 8 hours in a day would be the very minimum. Well, I remember a couple years ago I set my bar to 10 a day. It was a good goal. I achieved it time and time again. Then, like a year ago, I switched it to12 a day (cause I kept doing it over and over again). Heck, I hit multiple 14 or 15 hour days. That would hit maybe once a week or so.

So, when I think of it, success, the end result really does seems to be anchored in some kind of output. Could I have done better? Why of course I could have! I know it. Man…if I was really into cars, I would have done a lot of reading up on the new and upcoming cars. I would learn, learn, learn. Just like my one buddy does. He’s a genius. I always used to say, (H…you’re a genius). Everybody liked that. That was just one of a multitude of cat calls, throughout the shop. I mean, he was! But, he did lack in other areas. Was such a talker. And when it came to motivation, he had none. Boy, he would rather talk to someone than get some good old fashion work done. Oh, and it seemed like he didn’t work a full week…ever! But, intellectually speaking, purely genius. He just wanted to know why something didn’t work. And he would surely find out. Big reader also.

Ok. That’s nice. Where was I?
Success. I’ve experienced it. In my old life. Well, I want to experience it in my new life. How can I transfer it over? Well, we’re talking about trading here. So, let’s get this out of the way. Everybody would think, right off the bad, that if you can make a profit, you’re successful. If not, then you’re not.

Let’s back it up a little. I want to talk about having success for a day. Let’s take it in small chunks first huh? What would tell me that I was successful today? Is it how much money I made today?

How about we go back to the definition. First off, in order for success, you need a goal. Right? Then you need some steps to climb. After achieving all of the steps in between, then you should have accomplished the goal. Which equals success. Right?

Well, we know what my ultimate goal is. So then, what are the steps going to be for me to get there? Yeah, I know I need to work on that, specifically. I remember leaving off with that last year, when I was mentored. Oh, I have many incomplete mind maps, like that. But, when it comes to what happens in a days time, what?

How will I count myself as being successful? Well, I’m just starting out. So, looks like I need to get pretty dog-gone organized. There’s so much to think about. I know it’s not all about how well I trade. Cause, if that’s the case, I’m doomed. See, if fact, that’s the reason why I started thinking a lot about that this morning. I was used to some pretty good success. It wasn’t hard. It’s business as usual. But now, oh my goodness. This is hard. I realize it. But, man, I want some kind of success. Even on a small scale will do. I just want to know that I’m on the road. I need some real evidence that this is going to work.

Just like my physical training I’ve been going through. Man, I know it’s happening. And I know I can do this each and every day, no problem. I notice the small changes in my body. Like, my breathing. And, uh, in my legs. Yeah, feeling it alright, but not a hurting feeling. And you know what? It’s encouraging to me. I mean, I know I have such a long way to go, but as long as I am witnessing these things, it keeps me going. I mean, it’s truly exciting. I will look like I should.

But, in regards to my trading, man, I don’t know. I’ve been messing up. See, yesterday, and I knew it, but didn’t want to obey, but, it definitely was a ranging day. And the way I trade is most conducive for trend trading. Plus, the liquidity needs to be there. But, afterwards, I was thinking of laying down some rules for when I shouldn’t trade. I mean, no one is in the market all the time! Right? Come on. But, I just wanted to practice. All in the name of practicing. Well, I guess I need to practice not trading. What a nightmare.

Anyway, I got a lot of work to do. And it seems like I’m making mistake after mistake. Am I successful because of that? Absolutely not. I’m not climbing anything. Yet anyway. It is ok? Well, depends on how you look at it. When am I going to get to the point where I’m seeing things work. Like work good. Time and time again. I don’t know.

You know, I put something up on my wall a few days ago. It was one of those revelations I had. And I know it to be true. How I learn – is going through it.

I guess that’s what I’m really doing here, is learning. I’m not a professional, by any means. I’m not even successful. But, am I learning? Sure, something. I couldn’t tell you exactly what. It’s not quantifiable. Experience of some sort. But wait…how do we really know that we have learned something anyway?

Now that’s a question for ya. What tells me that I have learned something? Well, first thing comes to mind is encountering the same thing again, and not doing what I did before. Basically, correcting what I wanted to correct. So therefore, there would have to be a mistake to happen at the onset. Well, I think there are a couple different things here. Cause if I come into some knowledge that I didn’t know beforehand, and now I know, then that’s learning something. I don’t know, maybe that’s considered understanding something. That may be something different.

See, I remember my mentor teaching us that we need to come up with a mind map on Learning. I guess there’s a good reason for it. Well, maybe I need to go back and tighten up those crucial mind maps. Learning, Practicing, Thinking, Decision Making, Information Processing. But what always bugged me about that is the fact that I couldn’t come up with them in which they proved useful. I would love to come up with a good learning mind map that I could go to every time I needed to learn something. Like, put it to use. In a practical way. Each and every one of those. One of these days I definitely will. Maybe now that I have the time, I think I should.

I’m all over the place today Journal, don’t mind me. This post has been going on since Trish left, almost 7:30. And now it’s almost 3. Sorry about that. I just feel like talking it out.

So, when I think about it, the most important part of the business is what generates the income. And that’s trading. But, the thing about trading is, it’s all in the mind. And it only makes sense that the very first thing that should happen, in the mind, is learning. I need to learn about how to generate a profit. Aka, strategy. Man…you know how long it took me to figure out my swing trading strategy? Years! Now, I’m about to learn an intraday trading strategy? I don’t have that long to live, period! So, that’s what I’ve been trying to do so far.

I thought I would come in here and experience how it roles day in and day out. Yeah, I’m starting to get it. It goes up, then down, then back up again. And I figured the best way would be to follow, my indicators. I guess I’ve made some kind of progress. But, I know I’m a perfectionist. And what a hindrance. If it ain’t right, I get bent out of shape. It’s just so hard to be convicted about a particular method. Sure, I’m getting close. I think the more and more time spent watching it all helps. Things sink in.

I’ll tell you one thing that I’m thinking of changing. That’s – my exit. I mean, it’s such nonsense to see my profits go away the more I hang on to them, till the opposite crossover. I keep thinking of my buddy who mentioned to me that it’s not the smartest way to do it. I mean, we’re talking about making profits here, dog-gone-it! Is it more important to follow the plan, or to take the profits? Now, that’s a question.

I do know that you need to find something that works on a consistent manner. Doing something over and over again, which in the end, makes a profit. See, it does all come down to finding that particular way. Sure. Then we follow it to a tee. Yeah, no problem. But, coming up with it is frustrating, especially to a perfectionist.

Don’t mind me Journal, I’ll get through it. Some things I’m sticking to, and some things I’m not. For instance, I do think the 15 minute time frame is ideal for me. I do like following the flow, of my indicators, which tells me when it’s trending. According to me. Boy, the trend is sooooooo subjective. That’s what I’m considering when it’s trending.

I’m finding it very interesting when those 2 ema’s cross. That pretty much tells me that something is going to happen. Like, when they get close to each other, boy, it’s almost definite that it will go one way or the other. And of course, I do not know which way. I won’t even pretend that I know. I keep telling myself that over and over again! Boy, you should see how big I wrote these words on my wall.

DO NOT
SPECULATE,
FOLLOW!

I feel I need to follow something.
Yeah, like my plan.
Whenever I finally come up with it.

Alright Journal, I’m out.

Maybe tomorrow we’ll talk about being productive.
It was one of my thoughts earlier today.
I don’t know, we’ll see.

Mike

2 Likes

Good Afternoon Journal!

Good Afternoon to you too Mike.

Well, I don’t have much time here. But, I’ve been working. It all started yesterday after I read something. I think this is pretty powerful. And the thing is, it doesn’t particularly pertain to trading. But, I made it pertain.

So, I’m just going to put out here the article that really grabbed me. And then I’m going to show you my mind map on it. You can call it my subject for the day.

https://getpocket.com/a/read/2232993089

Oh, by the way. You have to read the article first. Only then can you look at my mind map.

Got to run.

See ya tomorrow Journal!

Mike

Good Morning Journal!

Good Morning Mike

Man - o - man does this coffee taste good.
Wow.
Oh hey, Journal! Well, it’s 5:12 Saturday morning now, and boy, I did not feel like exercising today. But…I did. It’s the same routine. And, well, I’m glad I did it. Cause now I do feel pretty dog-gone good. The body is catching to the whole program quite nicely. You know, the muscles, the lungs. Oh, and when I get back from running, when I stretch it all out, I incorporated in some stomach crunches (I think that’s my biggest problem!). So anyway, I’m working on it Journal.

Man this coffee tastes good!

I don’t know, there’s something pretty special about drinking coffee after a good hour of exercising. It just hits the spot. So, oh, hey Journal. I wanted to mention another kind of an adjustment that I’ve been doing on my morning routine. Well, you remember me telling you when I was done with the stretching, that I was doing the meditating? Well, actually, it’s more like mindfulness. Well, as I’ve been progressing (and it didn’t take long), I felt that I should be doing that very thing the whole hour. You know, paying attention, and living in the moment. So, like, when I’m stretching (the very first time) I’ll put my mind on whatever muscle is being stretched. And, of course as is the whole thing about it, when the mind wants to wander, and think, and basically get out of the moment, you have to always bring it back to the absolute present. That’s the whole thing about mindfulness. It’s training the mind to stay in the moment. If anyone has ever tried it, you would only then realize how the mind just never wants to slow down and stay in the absolute moment. I think it’s because our minds are just too fast. The thoughts that take place in our minds happen quicker than lightening. But life is just slow. Look around. Nothing happens fast. Well, maybe the birds. They are quick.

Ok. That’s nice.
So, I get in touch with my stretching muscles. Then when I run, I’m paying attention to my breathing. I look at my feet. I listen to the birds (the one’s that are awake, in the distance), the crickets. Like every one of my 5 senses, as I’m doing it. It’s living in the moment. But, there is always that constant struggle to stay there. And, you’re not supposed to be upset with your mind when it gets to wandering, thinking, planning, ideas, etc…You supposed to bring it back and concentrate on what’s happening at the present moment, kindly, to yourself. Cause, it can get frustrating constantly doing that very thing. It’s not easy. But, I feel over time, hopefully I can be more in touch with the absolute present.

Remember me telling you, quite some time ago, that I believe there is no present? Yeah, what about that. Cause, what I’m doing now is concentrating on the present moment. But, is there a present? Well, where my thinking came from was this. Think about it. What’s the shortest time span? A second? So then, a second passes by, and then that very second would be considered the past now (a second later). So, it’s the past. Right? Well, how far short do we go then, for it to be, technically speaking, the present? Surely scientists could break it down time into some very, very short time intervals. Like nano seconds or something. But, I could still make that argument like I did with the seconds interval. Whenever the next one comes, then the previous one should be considered the past. Why? Cause it already happened! It’s not the present anymore. The next one is.

I don’t know, this seems like a philosophical discussion. As opposed to a scientific, actual one. What then is the present? Well, when I think about it, like in what I’m working on, with myself, is that it must come down to what our minds are concentrating on. Remember when I said that our minds work on high speeds? You know, our thoughts? Like, how quick is that? Pretty dog-gone quick. So therefore, if I can keep my concentration on something, without it wandering away, then I guess that, technically, would be considered the present moment.

Hmm…
Well, it’s seems like that is a subjective thing. Cause, everyone would be working on a different time frame. No one could possibly be working on the present time, at the same time. Right? I don’t know. What is the present time?

Probably called the very latest.

Alright, that’s all good and fine. Yeah, anyway. Where was I? Well, I just feel like typing. That’s all.
Well, let’s see. The next question for me to ask would be why am I working on this anyway?

LIVE IN THE MOMENT
I wrote that very big on my wall. But, it is a good question. For what reason am I trying to change the way I think. Well, I don’t know, I guess it came from a book. That’s how it all started for me anyway. And it has to do with becoming a good trader. Let’s see, that book is called Trade Mindfully. It’s dealing with my mind, and what kind of mindset I need to adopt when I trade.

Well, something else kind of makes sense. Isn’t the best way to enjoy life would be to live in the moment? Life is all about time. We have it now, but, someday it will go away. Life will be over, for everyone. And we will all have the chance to look back and wish that we would have made the most of our time. Now, that makes sense. What we do with our time is pretty serious. Sure, we plan stuff (living in the future). We remember stuff (living in the past). We do things mindlessly (going through the motions without thinking), like a hum-drum daily routine that’s habitual. But, what about actually living in the present moment?

Well, I hope that someday, when I’m very, very old, that I won’t have too many regrets about how I spent my time. Man, I don’t want to look back and think that I could have spent my time more wisely. How can I enjoy the little things that life gives me, now? Well, I guess that’s what I’m doing. Trying to learn how to live in the moment. Plus, I’ve read somewhere that you, in a sense, are extending your life this way. Not in the actual sense, but, making it seem longer when you pay attention to more and more things, as they go by.

Life is all about time. Meaning, there’s nothing more fundamental about our lives. It’s what we do with it. How we spend it. How much we are cognizant of it. It’s like, we’re wrapped up in it. And, as everyone knows, one of these days, it will end. It will be all over. Our time will have stopped. And that means our life is over. Out of time. The end.

Man, it’s a good thing I know this now. Because, I have the chance to make the rest of it better. Or as best as I can, anyway.

Boy, this reminds me of one movie that I absolutely love. Man, when I seen this, it grabbed me like nothing else. It’s called ‘LUCY’. It came out a couple years ago. Boy, talk about time. And our minds. It explored the notion of what could happen if we used up to 100% of the capacity of our minds. What it would look like. Man…I know it’s a movie. But, talk about interesting! It was.

This is what I’m about. The mind. It is such the creation. And there’s no one who could say to me that this wonderful piece of work could come to existence by chance. Dog-gone it, IT WAS CREATED!!
And isn’t it amazing how this human brain of ours, for as smart as it can be, can be so dumb! Man…don’t get me started on how stupid humans can be. How evil humans can be. How deceived they can be. It’s just amazing to me. I mean, the potential that we have, to become something great, yet, how depraved we can get. It is something, to me.

Alright Journal, I’m sorry about all of that.
I need some more coffee.

And, I’m gonna get going. Have some work to do.

We’ll talk again.
Mike

2 Likes

Good Morning Journal!

Good Morning Mike.

Well Journal, I don’t have a lot of time here. I’ve got till 7, then it’s some serious work time. So, I figured I would catch you up on what’s been happening. Maybe a little summary, then my plan for today.

Well, yesterday was a good day. I got up. Normal time. Bathroom. Changed into my running gear. Stretched. And, of course, I count down the minutes till I have to scoot, which is 4:30, for my run. But, when I was just minutes away from go time, boy, did it hit me. I don’t know, something just popped in my head. And it was one word. Principle. I was checked. Then I got to thinking. I need a day. Some rest. Because, next week starts a whole nother week. So, it was right then and there, that I determined, I need a day of rest. Hey, if the big Man himself, made that a principle, I should also. So, I did. It’s gonna be 6 days on, one off. And that’s what I did. See, I know that it wasn’t borne out of laziness. I didn’t wake up and went with my feelings. Sure, it’s not easy, like the day before felt. So, I put it into place. I went back into bed. And slept. Was good for me.

And, I’m sorry Journal, but I went all the way with it. Not even a journal entry. Do you know how long I’ve been doing a Sunday morning Journal? Like a long time, consistently. Well, times are changing. Sorry Journal.

Ok. Well, back at it this morning. Very, very good time. Taking care of the body. The mind. First and foremost. But, I’ve got some serious work to do today. I’ve been thinking. And thinking. And more thinking. I’ve got to make some changes. And that’s why I’m here, right now. This is going to be the plan for today.

– My Trading.
I’m going with the 1hr charts. No more smaller time frames.
But, first, I have a premise. There is without a doubt, my pair, is on the up. I could show you, but, just trust me. It is. On the daily time frame. Until something changes, that’s what the present flow is. Therefore, I’m only going to place long trades. Whether I’m right, or wrong, that’s the context of what my pair shows. I’m not gonna trade short. Long only. I believe risk-on sentiment is tilting more than risk-off.

I’m going to play the 1hr time frame. Only. For my entries. Sure, the smaller ones, mostly the 15, and 5, will indicate to me what’s coming down the pike soon on the 1hr. Kind of like a heads up. I think those are good for that, only. Not for any kind of trading indications.

So, within the 1hr, I’m going to pay attention to where the blue line is at (9ema). See, right now, I woke up to such a bull market. Well, let me show you.
I’m sorry, but I can’t bring it up right now. Something happened. And, I don’t have time to be playing around now.

But, what I’m going to do today is wait for the opportunity to get in. I think it will be a mistake to get in just because it’s riding high. I just have to wait. See, that was my mistake a lot last week. There was some up days, but when it takes place during Asia, what can I do? Then comes London, and there’s a lot of correction. And also during the US session. But, that doesn’t negate the fact that it was an up day. I mean what can I do? Watch the market 24/7? Uh…no. I’m not. I just need to be cognizant of that fact. I’m just gonna wait for the right opportunity to get in.

And, my opportunity to get in would be a crossover, from low to high. But, maybe that won’t take place, in a raging bull market. I thought of that. Then, what am I going to do? Just sit here and wait till that happens? Well, I thought the next best thing to do would be to wait till price comes down to the 9 ema line. You know, like a spike turning down. In any case, I think it would be more prudent to wait for the right time to get in.

In the meantime, what else what I do today? That would be productive?
I’m going to start cleaning up my most important mind maps. This has been a task that has been neglected. I have the time now to do it. And that’s what I’m going to do. I kind of think of it as a building thing. I need to construct my business. Somehow. See, that’s what we learned way back when. It’s the framework that I need to work on. I need to get organized.

Don’t worry Journal, I’ll clue you in on what it gets to looking like.

Well, I got to go.
Will bid her good-bye, and then get some real work done.
No more playing around.

Wall Street Wolski out.

(Was a good memory, back in the shop)

Good Morning Journal!

Good Morning Mike.

Well, I had a very productive day yesterday. As planned. I did accomplish much. Gonna show you here shortly. But, trading wise, can you believe I didn’t even place a trade yesterday?

Man, Mike. Seriously?
Maybe you’re finally starting to get it.

I know, right. Well, I stuck to my guns. I have a plan, and I desperately need to see if it’s gonna work. Take a look at how it looked. I took this shot this morning. So, the magic block is bottom left now. That’s my 1hr time frame. It’s the one I trade off of now.

See what happened all day, in between the 2 red lines? Yeah, nothing but up. But, my plan tells me not to get into a trade when it is roaring. I need to be patient. So yeah, I was successful, in that regards.

But, today is looking very interesting. I should be experiencing a different ball game. What I’m gonna do is wait it out, till the right time. We do have a correction taking place right now. How far down it will go, I don’t know. I mean, it could be an all day thing. There’s so many different scenarios it could take. That’s why I think it’s beneficial to look at the other time frames. Just look next door, right. 4hr time frame. I mean why couldn’t it go down so much more? So, that’ll be a consideration. Then, to look over to the far right, daily, that tells me we are in a bull market. Relatively speaking. I mean, this could have some legs to it. In that regards.

But, the way I have to trade this, is by watching the 15 min time frame. Well, first off, like the original plan is, I’m going up. And up only. Because that’s what it shows on my ‘Daily’s’. So, that’s settled. It’s my premise. But now, that I got my direction, I need to know when exactly to get in. That’s why I need to look at what’s happening on the 15 min. See, there are 4 of those candles in an hour. Thank God! That should be plenty to weed out some kind of whip saws. So, when I see that time frame changing, back to up, then I will be getting in. And where exactly? Well, it will be my blue line (9 ema). I’m shooting for that price. Which is on the 1hr time frame blue line price. I’m telling you, I take a lot of stock on where that line goes. Whether I’m right or wrong, I want a trade starting at that price.

So, it did get a little hairy earlier. Take a look.

Look at the top right, 15min. Tell me it doesn’t look like a crossover is going to happen. So, what I did was place a buy stop order at 82.841 (can see it on the bottom left). Why? Cause that’s where the blue line is at now. See it? 82.840. Well, as time went by, it didn’t happen. So, I canceled that order. Cause it’s moving down more. Patience is key here (I need to keep reminding myself).

Here’s the present picture.

Yeah, take a look at the top right (15min). Talk about close. But, it didn’t cross over. And now, where’s the place where I want to get in now? Well, look at the bottom left, my time frame. The blue line is at 82.806. That’s considerably lower than 82.841 huh? Plus, on the 1hr, there absolutely was no crossover. It’s not done correcting yet. In any case, it’s looking like I’m going to be using a limit order, instead of a market order, for getting in. Cause, more than anything, I want to get in at the blue line. So, hopefully it will level out, and I can catch it. See, I’m not going after live price. I prefer using what the average price is (my lines). Plus, it sure does help using these Heikin Ashi candles. Talk about what average price is. You can’t get any more average than those.

Well Journal, that’s been my thinking, this morning. Technically speaking.
But, I got other work to do. I got to get back to it.
I’ve been building up my trading structure. And getting organized about it.

To put it short. Let me show you what my desk top looks like.This is just the beginning. I’ll have to explain more of it as time goes by.

Alright Journal, I’m getting to work now.

"MAKE THE MOST OF EVERY MOMENT!"

Mike

Hey Journal.
Well, I feel good about this. A bit late, but, best I can do. I’m in now.

Man, I wanted 81, but got 85.
All indications that we’re going to have a crossover. Sure, a lot can happen within the next hour, but if it fails, then I’ll just have another chance at it. After the loss. We’ll see.

Mike

Better look at it.