My journey journal...from demo to live...and beyond

Journal.
Here we go.

Want to know what’s fascinating? I’ll show you what’s fascinating.

This is the USD, complete currency stats. Complete currency = having all 7 USD pairs open and running at the same time. Same direction.
The bottom row going across is the YTD running amount of pips.
The second bottom (just above it) row is that particular days amount of pips, trading this complete currency.
The red signifies the USD is in a bear market. And inside the red is the strength of that trend (the higher the number the stronger that trend).
The 7-0 number means the USD is bear against all the other 7 currencies. So, the first # is how many they are in a bear market, the second # is how many they are in a bull market. Always adds up to 7.

If I would have traded the USD as a complete currency for the month of August, what would have been the outcome? Short.

• 10935 - 8954 = 1,981 pips

If I would have traded the USD as a complete currency for the last 2 months, what would have been the outcome? Short.

• 10935 - 6731 = 4,205 pips

Do you know how hard this would have been?

Not hard at all.

My only trading actions would be this. Follow me.
Enter July 1st with 7 USD pairs, long. Why long? Cause what does it show up there? Green. Right? It’s a bull market, at End Of Day June 30th. I follow that indicator, for the direction.

July 1st comes, end of day results were still in a bull market. So no changes. Resulting pips was -172. Ok. I do nothing. Then next day comes (July 2nd). End of day results show the USD turns into a bear market. Ok. That means I must switch directions. That entails exiting out of my long positions and immediately re entering in (all 7 USD pairs) going short. The pip results were -50 pips that day. No biggie.

Now I’m short USD. In all 7 USD pairs. Letting them run. Each and every day comes and goes. And what happens? Well, no changes. Their stated bear trend doesn’t change. That means I do nothing. Like…absolutely nothing for this whole entire 2 months worth. It’s just riding, and life is completely boring. But the results aren’t.

What am I doing here? Just following the stated market, which does not indicate any changes. Well, you get the point. And I do find this fascinating. There’s 2 points here. The benefits of following, and the dynamics of a trend.

Go ahead ask me. Am I speculating here, or following? I did throw out many reasons why I did speculate and thought that the USD was gonna start moving into a bull market status. I was wrong. You know what? I’m not proud. Maybe you will remember some of this. Here’s some kind of time line of what I decided to do what I did.

So, you get the point. I had all kind of reasons to support why I went long USD. And as you see up there, I even jumped out and switched from long to short. For one day though. Then decided to stick with my losing mentality of a strategy. Went back to long USD trades. And there hasn’t been any changes since then. We should all know by now that the USD has basically died. It never turned up to a bull market.

NEVER!

And what’s my lesson here? Well, like I’ve been saying all morning long. It should be better to follow than speculate. And I just got done showing you some results of what would have happened if I would have simply followed. For this last month. And even the last 2 months.

Anyway. I’m moving on.
I do believe this notion of following a trend has some real credence.

But the market doesn’t always present itself this way.
Let me cut this short and come back with the other point I want to make.

On it.
Mike

1 Like

I have been doing the same thing since the market turned around in March. It is something I’ve had a problem shaking. Maybe because my first year and a half USD was bull all the time? It has just been ingrained into my brain and has gotten me into trouble more than once.

Then that little voice whispers “it can’t go down forever”. Dangerous words indeed.

Wise words.

1 Like

Journal.

I’m gonna make the point of how the market makes it difficult. This is the downside of the way I follow the trend.

So, let’s take another example. How about the NZD? They’ve been doing some extremes lately, right? Well, how does it look regarding them?

They were in a bull market back in July. But that took a few days to really change around the middle of the month. Then it stayed bear until a couple days ago. So, what kind of results are we looking at here. How about for the month of August.

NZD short.

• 6381 - 5062 = 1,319 - 234 = 1,085 pips

Follow me. 6381 is the last running total amount of pips (Aug 28th). Minus what end of day July 31st is (5062) equals 1,319. All that is the ending minus the beginning. Or you can simply add up each days amounts (in the row just above that). Ok. We have one more thing to deal with. Why the -234 number? Well, the stated trend changed. This is how it works.

End of day August 27th comes. Wow. Their trend changes from bear to bull market. Well, the pip results ended up being 234 pips to the positive. And since we were going short, that would mean, then, negative 234 pips to the running total. Right? We will not know this until the day is over. Not beforehand. Which means it’s at this time that we will change directions.

That’s nice. Let’s see what the previous month would have been.

• 5062 - 3372 = 1,690

Then to deal with the trend changes pip results. These are highlighted in dark blue.

• -192, -240, -181 = 613 pips
  • Therefore, 1,690 - 613 = 1,077 pips

Ok. Not bad at all. Just over 1K pips for each month. Seems like easy money to me. I mean, what are we doing here? Like, not much at all. Just following what the trend turns out to be, at the end of the day.

But we all know what the nemesis is for trend following, right? It’s when the market ranges. Or consolidates (same thing). It’s the back and forth movement it does, in which we just don’t know where it will end up. Continuing the trend? Or reversing trends? This has plagued traders since the beginning of time. It’s all about if & when the trend changes. Right? I mean, this is dealt with on every single trend following strategy out there. Some strategies are trying to catch the tops or bottoms…of what…the trend. Some strategies look for a break and retest of a trend, via a level on the chart. Some, getting in on the momentum of a trend. How about fractals? That’s just the visual representation of the candlesticks shown that convey what the trend is. We also got the indicators (thousands of them) that will tell us when something is trending or ranging. How about using that 200 moving average as a point of reference of when something is trending or not. So yeah…there are a lot out there. But we’re all trying for the same thing. For something to tell us when price will continue or change, in order to capture a profit from.

What I’ve been showing you (my method) falls under the description of :

• From stated trend to stated trend

The hardest aspect for my system is in dealing with how the trend switches. Let me repost that pic again.

Now, tell me, how am I supposed to know that on Jul 16th the trend will stay bear? We have a double top situation here. The trend changed to bear, retraced and went back to bull, and then finally changed back to bear. For good. And look. If this always was the case, I wouldn’t have a problem. But we just don’t know if the trend will actually change. I guess I should show a situation in which is the opposite.

NZD.
Let’s follow it.
Jun 8th, at the top of a bull market, strength of 528. That’s very strong. It then comes down a whole lot to Jun 25th. Strength of 20. Still technically bull. Only bull against 2 other currencies, and bear to 5 other currencies, hence 2-5. That’s quite weak. But then what…it climbs up again. And hits another strong top of a bull market. But this time it only gets to the strength of 192. Then comes back down. Now, did it turn into a bear market? Nope. We could have easily followed this, cause it didn’t technically switch. Sure. Much patience goes into it, but the bottom line is we didn’t see a red turn around at any end of day. Right? Point being…Shouldn’t assume anything until you see it.
How about another different situation.

This months AUD.

Talk about pulling out your hair. Thanks a lot AUD.
Reminds me of a cartoon. “Duhh…which way did he go George? Which way did he go?”

Well, if you don’t already know by now, I was (am) short the AUD, for Aug. Well, let’s count them up. Result in pips. My bias is red so I get what’s stated. And if it’s green I get the opposite.
-113, -228, -57, -378, 340, 23, 2, -110, 214, -188, -269, 133, 75,151, 57, -129, -87, -165, -301, -484 = -1,514 pips
And that’s how that went. Horrible. I guess I was on the wrong side of things. And you know what? I wasn’t even playing the back and forth game!! I stuck with one way. And how many times did it change? Wayyyy to much. Well, in hindsight, the only way I would have made any money would have been to kept to a bull bias this month. Like every day. You should be able to see that the only way to have been successful with the AUD this month was a full on being stuck with long AUD. Or bull bias. I don’t know…look at the beginning of the month. Nothing tells me (here) that we’re gonna have to be bullish the AUD. The stated market is bear. Well, that’s my indicator. That’s what I am supposed to follow. For me, there’s no winning this month with them.

Like I said. It’s a killer, for trend followers, to get stuck into a ranging, consolidating market.

I did though, mitigate a lot of losses by staying one way or the other. Can you image the slippage if I would have switched every single time it stated it? Ok. Let’s find out what this number would have been, right now. It’s called the day late system. At the end of the day, I do what’s stated. Switch. Every day that it does. (I’m adding up what the white box’s state, and the opposite of what the dark blue box’s state)

• -1,600 pips

Ok. Well, I did a tiny bit better, anyway.

Alright. You get the point. Sometimes the market makes it easy, and sometimes it doesn’t.

How about a look at what the GBP did this month.

Long the GBP this month would have netted you +511 pips.
Why so low? They didn’t switch trends, like, at all!
Well, look closely.
Look at the trend strength numbers. They were gang busters strong in the beginning of the month (400’s). But just went down from there. Ending under a hundred for the last few days. See. They technically stayed in a stated bull market, but didn’t switch over. And well, all you have to do is see their daily pip results. Look. In the middle of the month. Had a +633 pip day. Yay! Then dropped -444 pips the next. Boo! Then rockets up +765 pips! Then drops out of the sky with -832 pips! Man…that’s enough to make anyone crazy, for sure.

Well, you have to admit. There is some credence to staying in the correct trend, over the longer time frame. You would have made some money if you stayed bull GBP the whole entire month. Complete currency trading, that is. I think this is called coming out being flat (just about even).

Well, I’m gonna take a break and come back with some more stuff. The good thing is… we have an extra day of the month before the next month technically starts. I will start laying out some kind of plan. I have some idea of it. You better believe it has some following aspects to it, than speculating.

Mike

P.S. —
I’m gonna throw out here to anyone who is courageous enough to want to see some of my numbers (I used to do this on my other thread).
Someone could have fun with this. It’s my excel book of daily numbers.
But you can’t alter anything though.
MY 2020 NUMBERS.xlsx (844.4 KB)

I trend trade as well. What I do is, instead of trying to guess which way the price will go. you wait to see which side of the range the price breaks out of and closes at. So with this chart Im just going to wait till it closes below the consolidation instead of calling the top. It works pretty well because it signifies the end of a trend and the start of a new one.

1 Like

Hey Journal.
Alright. Here we go. I found my plan, for moving forward.

I’ll be throwing out to you the work I’ve done already, which is in my Business Journal. I feel really excited about this.

Questions:

• What has worked for me?
  • What doesn’t work?
  • Complete currency trading?
  • Lot sizes?
  • Trading who exactly?

Answers:

• The principle of FOLLOWING
  • The principle of SPECULATING
  • Of course. I can’t imagine any other way.
  • 2 standard lot sizing on each pair
  • All 8 currencies

PRACTICE FOLLOWING

Moving forward, this is my theme. That last post I did this past weekend really cleared things up for me. Which leads me to this mindset.
-“I’m out to prove that FOLLOWING is profitable.” Not only profitable, but that it’s the most profitable way for me to go about it.

-"How close can I follow?"
-"From STATED trend to STATED trend."

All this strikes a cord in me. It’s what I should be doing. This has nothing to do with how much money I can make. How much increase to an account balance I can do. Sure, everyone knows the idea behind all this. But, for me, I believe it all will come together if I can just get better and better at following the stated trend. This is nothing I haven’t done before. I’ve seen success. But, when I deviate and start changing things up, things go awry. I’m done learning this lesson as of late. Which is the 'ol “Why isn’t the market going the way I think it should!” It’s such the newbie, juvenile thinking. I’m sorry. But that’s what I used to say all the time in my earlier years. And the solution is…to follow, & not speculate. I believe that, and am going to prove it.

This is my system. This is my strategy. This is the methodology behind the way I trade. I’m gonna try for perfection with this.

Well, I guess I still have time before the end of the year. As I stated before, I’m still hoping to have the exact way to trade down before the year ends. Oh, I’m getting close. But won’t quit till I’m satisfied (that may be impossible).

That’s nice.

Well, I reset all my trading accounts. Like, just a little bit ago. And took pics. It’s not pretty. But, you know what? If I’m gonna throw up here (journal) only the good data, then that’s not right. At least I know where I went wrong.

Ok then. I’ll show you.

First off, this was the absolute bottom line in regards with my trading account balances. At the beginning of this month I explained all of this.
2020-08-31_11-51-17
2020-08-31_11-51-39
They all started out with 10k Aug 1st. So yeah, I lost a lot.

So…I had the JPY going short. Bull market. All month.
And why??? The stated trend was bear. Look.

To be fair though, they did have a couple days before the month began being in a bull market (barely). You have to give me that. But it didn’t last. Technically, the month started out in a bear market. I should have been bear the JPY. But nope. I was countertrending the whole entire month. Take a look. This was just taken right before I exited out of everything.

Was I following? Nope.
If I did, I would have been good. Right?

Next lesson.

The AUD.
I’ve talked about this already (last weekend). Sure. This was a tough one, cause their trend changed back and forth so much. Moving forward, this is gonna be tough to get good at. Take a look.

Next lesson.
The USD. Again, I beat this all up earlier.

And the real mistake here was simply speculating against the trend. Let’s see…which way was the trend? Maybe I didn’t see it clearly.

There’s no excuse here. They’ve been in a bear market and that’s all there’s to it. But…I already showed you what would have been the result if I was bear all month. Quite positive. Anyway.

Now. About the CAD.

I initially got in with them on Aug 4th.
Took profit on the 12th.
Immediately got back in with them. And been riding them out to the end.
Well, I actually got in with them prematurely. And if you look closely, that stated bear market was on it’s way down. And then eventually turned. Ok. I got lucky. I’ve been around long enough to know that this action cannot be duplicated in a consistent manner. There’s absolutely nothing that tells me that there will be a change in trend coming. And then, look at where we’re at now. At the very end of that bull trend. Will it change over to a bear market?

I don’t know. Neither do you. Nor anybody else. Until we see what happens. We just don’t know what’s gonna happen. And therein lies the very reason why I have chosen to wait for a change in the stated trend. That’s my indicator. Not momentum. Or anything else. When that sucker turns red, then I’ll know to go bear CAD.

Well, this was the best thing I did this month. It was luck. Can’t and won’t be duplicated. So, let’s see what I would have done if I went according to plan.

• 7098 - 6803 = 295 pips
  • 295 - 405 = -110 pips

We’ll call it about break even. That 405 pips on Aug 11th would have been negative that day because I would have been short the CAD on that day. And then at that end of day I would have switched to a bull market.

Well, check this out. The CAD last month.

By the book, this would have been the results.

• 6803 - 4687 = 2,116 pips
  • 2,116 - 414 (134, 280) = 1,702 pips

Again, the switch in trend produces a negative amount of pips for that particular day. Actually, 2 days in a row that month (3rd & 6th of July).
So…not bad at all. The system (my system) works. Not completely every month, but more than most.

See what I mean when I say that the numbers come out more positive than negative? AKA profitable

Well, that’ll be enough of what happened last month (Aug).
Bottom line is that I won’t be doing any countertrending trades anymore. I will be following the trend. Following my system of determining the trend of each of the currencies.

And this is another point. There should be no reason why I can’t have a trade running on each of these 8 currencies. Why limit myself only on a couple or so? I need the practice. I’ve contemplated doing this many, many times this year already. So finally, I’m gonna do it. And you know…I honestly don’t know which currency will outperform, more than the others. Believe me, I’m always seeing someone going to some pretty good extremes. Ok then. I’m not gonna miss them now.

And as I always do, I’ll keep detailed records of all of my trades. So when the weekend comes, I’ll inevitably have something good to talk about. Well, that’s given the fact that I will have to be in the stated trend with whoever. Right?

I mean, all I’m really concerned about is, whether a trend continues or not. The more, the better.

Another trading detail.

• At +10% increase = take profit target

Needless to say, my trades are perpetually running in the market. I’m considered swing trading. The only actions entail taking profit taking, or switching directions.

Taking Profit

• Exit position at 10% increase of the account balance
  • Immediately re-enter with an upward adjusted position size

Switch Directions

• Exit position at EOD when the stated market changes
  • Immediately re-enter with a downward adjusted position size
  • In the new correct direction

Those 2 things are my only trade managing actions.
Don’t forget. I monitor the market on a daily basis. I compile and document all the currencies in such a detailed manner. Without doing this, I wouldn’t know what’s going on. And therefore couldn’t trade. Needless to say, it’s what I enjoy.

Here’s proof that I reset all my trading accounts.
2020-08-31_12-16-18
The CAD is in there (didn’t want to put up another pic).

Well, I haven’t gotten into any trades yet, of course, until I see the end of day results. Then I’ll pull the trigger. I will be placing a complete currency trade on each of the eight currencies. Whichever market they are in will determine which direction I go with.

I’ll have to come on in here and show you how I am starting out.
Alright Journal.
Until next time.
Mike

Hi Mike, I just want to drop by to wish you all the absolute best. Your decision in putting in a journal itself already put you ahead of a lot of other traders. All the best

1 Like

Good morning Journal.

Well, we got through the first week of the month. NFP Friday came. And went. Let’s see how they all are relating to one another.

But first, we need some kind of run up to the week.
This was last weekend at this time.

Well, it was a no brainer. The Comms were coming up. And the safe havens were not. That’s basically how the month ended.

Now were heading into a new month. NFP Friday will cap it off. Let’s see how it went.

So. The top tables are the monthly running. The end of Aug, and September’s start. The bottom are daily single results.

Since it was an NFP week, let’s see what the USD did.

• Getting bought up leading up to NFP
  • It didn’t really follow through on Friday ( -.34%) for the day
  • Thursday surely was a safe haven buying day, all 3 of them on top (CHF +4.15%, JPY +2.90%, USD +2.89%)
  • For the month so far, the USD is the most bid currency (discounting the CNY).

I think it’s good to know what the Chinese Yuan is up to, that’s the only reason why I keep track of it. Ever since like a year ago when they broke up above the $7 figure. I think it’s important. And, for anyone who cares, they follow the USD, just like the JPY does, in comparison to how they all relate to one another.

Anyway. Another good point to make this week is the CAD. Boy, they took the cake on NFP Friday. Nobody was more bid that day than them, by a lot.

Also the CHF crashed a bit on Friday (-4.09%). I think that’s interesting. IDK…something happened to them (I’ll just blame it on their central bank…like I always do).

Well, we need to mention the NZD, right? I mean, last week, it was all them. I even called it, a change in trend. Did it continue? Well, I sure do think so. Look.

Most bid currency Tues and Wed. Took the hit on Thursday (cause of that safe haven day remember?). Friday was back to elevated, with their buddy the AUD.

Well, in regards to the USD, I’m seriously not gonna buy into the notion of a change in trend. You just got to learn these silly lessons time and time again. Their in a bear market! And until it changes, so be it.

Journal, you should know how many times I’ve thought a turn around would happen at every one of those upward slanting lines. What nonsense. You have to start seeing green, which would be the stated trend. Which has never even come about.

I’m done with that silly game.

Let’s continue with looking at the trends of the other currencies.
Their YTD aggregate running pips.

The NZD.

So far they are turning the bend. Stated bull trend it is. Also climbing.

The AUD.

Their in a bull trend. Elevated, but wavered this week. One thing to note though. Their on a bull streak, 9 straight days in this stated bull trend. Which last month they couldn’t make up their mind, switched so often (as you can see there by the dots).

The CAD.

Boy, last Friday, they took a dive. The numbers caught up to them and reached the stated bear market on Tuesday. But that didn’t last. They were on the up since. I’m gonna talk a lot about this one later. This was interesting in regards to how I’m trading it. Remember…my only job is to follow the trend. And what do you think I was thinking about when it changed that one day?

Let’s continue.
The GBP.

Been in a bull market for awhile now. So, the bias has definitely been upward bidding, right?

The EUR.

Turned bear market. And been moving lower since. No secret or fooling going on here. They’ve just been slipping, that’s all. When I think back, the hype has faded away when we were all hopeful they would continue on higher as the USD fell. Nope. What a shame. Maybe this will be a re gathering for more future upside. We’ll just have to see.

The CHF.

There’s a reason why I grouped these Europeans together, but mostly these last 2. You should be able to see the confluence between them. Bear market territory it is. Also, be reminded, that those numbers are the YTD running totals. No one has been bought more this year than the EUR (3,631 pips). And next most bought is their partner (2,613). Therefore, you need to remember that they are having a very good year (bid) than all of the other currencies. So…keep that straw in your hat. They have a bias of being bid up this year. The reason why I say that is because that is a very good reason to be bought up again, sometime in the near future. Let’s just say, it shouldn’t be a surprise if they do.

The JPY.

Bear market territory. They made a climb in the middle of last month, only to come on back down. Kind of reminds me of the USD. A bunch of faking out with no follow through.

It’s a good lesson.

WHAT IS, IS WHAT IS. UNTIL IT (REALLY) CHANGES.

Well, that’s all of them.
These are their trends, measuring their aggregate amount of pips.

Sure. One currency can be moving higher against another currency (one currency pair). You can look at their particular chart and get the sense of which direction their heading. Yes. That’s great. It’s what every single trader does (booooooring). But does that really tell you how strong or weak a particular currency is? Well, only to that one and only other currency. It’s a 100 foot helicopter ride. You aren’t seeing the complete picture. You need to get much, much higher. Cause there’s so much more going on with that currency.

And that’s why I count all of what’s going on. And call it aggregate. Or you can call it an average of what they’ve done. I guess if you could put all 7 currency pairs together into one chart, the ending result would be what I got up there. One chart for each currency.

That’s nice.

Well, I’m gonna cut this short.
When I come back, I’ll be talking about my trading.
Mike

Good morning Journal.

Sorry I haven’t followed up on my trading lately. I’m back to work now and my time is limited.

Yeah. Can you believe it. School is in session again. And it’s not the same. You probably remember, Journal, when I first started school bus driving. Last year was my first year. I talked a lot about that to you when I went through it. Good times. Bad times. But mostly good though. I even remember telling you about that one fateful snowy day. What a nightmare. Being stuck on that hill with some very unruly, noisy, out of control kids on the bus. I don’t know how, but we did get through it. I gave you all those details.

But yeah. All in all, I do love my job. Kids are great. Most of the time (but not always). Well, being off of work for so long, it’s absolutely wonderful being back to work. And like I said, it’s not the same. Of course. Right? All of life is different, out there in the world. It’s the age of the mask. Visibly speaking. It’s definitely become something that’s a part of you. You just got to have it on. Well, if you’re gonna be riding the bus to school anyway.

You know, the one thing that I am glad about, in regards to society in general, is that all of this is forcing everyone to become germ-o-phobe. Look. All people are different. Some people are cleaner, more conscience of spreading germs around than others. Some people just don’t care. Probably don’t even wash their hands like they should. And so. I’m liking the fact that we have to be this way. Maybe not to this extent, but I like the respectfulness it deserves.

But check this out. Talk about extremes. I remember last year, during the school year. There was one particular mother. Boy…she was a germ-o-phobe. Look. She was a super nice mother. Smiled a lot. Thanked me every time she picked up her daughter from the bus stop. But, every time 6 yr old Ava got off the bus, her mother would immediately meet her with a couple of wipes in her hand. She had to wipe everything down, as they walk to her car. And the rear hatch would be open. She she had to take off her back pack and put it back there. I mean, I could see the paranoia in her face. Fear. Worry. That little Ava might catch something from this dirty, disease infested bus. I mean, look, some people are just like that.

And this was back before the pandemic! Can you imagine what she’s been going through during these new times?

Well, she’s not riding anymore. Of course. And well…no one else is either! They told us that we would be having about a quarter of the capacity amount that we had last year. Before we started. Well, it’s not even that much. It’s more like I have about a tenth of what I used to have. I had over 50 high schoolers last year. I felt so bad for them, practically sitting on top of each other like every day. Well, that dwindled down to like 4 this year.

Ok. That’s on some days. The most I had was 7 one morning. That’s it! It’s pretty unbelievable. No one wants to ride. It’s such a waste of a bus. And it’s not only my bus. All of the other bus drivers are having it the same way. Very, very few riders. And it’s mostly because this school district (along with mostly every other one) is operating on the hybrid system. Half the time they are in school, and the other half is being taught virtually at home. Therefore, no one is going to school 2 days in a row. And to boot…whoever goes to school gets driven by their parents. You should see the back log of cars dropping off the kids at the school in the mornings. Us buses are waiting in so much traffic right at the school every morning. It’s so crazy! We can’t even get in on time.

Well, I don’t know how long this will last. It’s such a shame. Why can’t everyone just put on a mask and let the bus drivers and teachers do their jobs? The end of the world won’t come if you by chance come down the sickness. Surely people won’t be getting sick as often, at the least.

What a new world we live in. I definitely think paranoia has been running too rampant these days. Everything needs to be put into it’s proper perspective.

Anyway.

Well, thanks Journal for letting me type away. I haven’t talked like this for a while. But, I do have to say, I’m very happy to be getting out there in the world and working. Boy…that being cooped up in the house every day is nonsense. Honestly. It was getting to me psychologically. But now, it’s so nice to get out for a few hours. Then have that break around lunch time (while the kids are in school). Then getting back out there for the last 3 hours of the day (taking the kids home after their done). I like that schedule. It’s so much better than the 10 straight hours at the grind I used to do for soooooo many years (at the shop).

Alright Journal. I’m gonna cut this now. I do want to talk about my trading. I’ll give you the lo down on how I’ve been doing.

See ya in a minute.
Mike

1 Like

Great insights.

Journal.

Well, yeah, at the end of day Monday (the 31st) this past week, I ran the EOD numbers and then put in all my trades. Here’s a list of the directions on each currency.

• USD — bear
  • EUR — bear
  • GBP — bull
  • CHF — bear
  • JPY — bear
  • AUD — bull
  • NZD — bull
  • CAD — bull

Proof.
2020-09-06_07-49-52

That tells me in which direction to go in on my individual complete currency trades. And as you know by now Journal, I have a separate trading account for each of those. I showed you all that last weekend.

And so, I placed all my trades that evening. That’ll be 7 trades placed on each of those 8 separate (demo) accounts. In the stated direction. All starting out with 10k. And for each pair, I go with 20k units of a position size. Here’s what the USD account looks like.

2020-09-06_08-38-03
That’s exactly what I call a “complete currency trade”. It’s my one trade.

I have one for each currency going.

That’s nice.

So, I placed them all. And they run. I do nothing. It’s boring. That’s swing trading for ya. But, I do get to run my EOD numbers. And all I’m doing is following. How the end of day numbers come out will determine whether I make any changes. Meaning, if their trend will change, then so will I have to change my trades direction.

Well, anything happened this past week?
Trend changes?
I’ll give you day by day look.

Tuesday. EOD. Results.
2020-09-06_08-48-59
There’s one currency that changed. See it?

The CAD. They go from being in a bull market (green) to a bear market (red). Let’s take a closer look at this CAD.

2020-09-06_09-17-51
That’s all 7 CAD pairs. EOD Tues. Individual and aggregate results.
Go ahead, add them all up. From left to right. And the final result is a 11 bear market (on the right). Look. Monday’s EOD was having them sitting only at a 4 bull market. Anything can happen. Their on the line. Their aggregate amount of pips turns out to be -79. That’s not much at all. They were coming off a pretty good day on Monday (+281 pips). So it was nothing but a slight retracement from that. Anyway, that’s all good and nice.

But…my only job is to follow, right? Well, how do I follow this? It turned into a stated bear market. Technically speaking, I’m supposed to exit out of my long CAD positions and come back in with all 7 short positions. I mean, that’s how you follow, isn’t it?

I contemplated this. Searching for the right answer. What am I to do?

I stayed put. No change.

Many reasons I have. Nonetheless, the biggest reason was to play the week. Patience. Look for direction. Follow from a distance. Was the plan.

Let’s see what Wed looked like.

2020-09-06_09-33-50
Would you look at that? Any changes?
Yeah…just one. The CAD goes right back to where they started out with. Bull market!

Boy, do I look like a hero. Now that’s how you follow. That patience bit has been something I’ve been learning this year. I used it…and it worked. This time. This is something that doesn’t always work, but it did this week.

Well, the rest of the week didn’t produce any other changes. So I’ll just throw out the results.

2020-09-06_09-38-46

All I really care about is what their stated trend is. That’s it. Nothing else. As I have been stating lately, I truly believe I’ll come out in the positive as long as I follow as closely as I can. Let’s see some more numbers.

My CAD trading account results.
2020-09-06_09-41-52

• Tuesday = - 79 pips
  • Wednesday = +293 pips
  • Thursday = -244 pips
  • Friday = +419 pips

Sum total = +389 pips
Not bad. I’m on track. Again. All I’m concerned is with following the trend. Was a bit hairy that one day, but I ended up making the right decision. It’s pretty costly when I have to switch. We’re talking about 7 pairs here, don’t forget. This big ship can’t be stopping and going on a dime. Right?

And the plan is to take profit at the 10% increase level. Which is when I will see the account balance reach $11,000. At present, I’m about half way there.

That’s all of what’s going on with my CAD trade.
It’s really the only one I can brag about.
I’m in the positive in some others, but also in the negative on some.

I don’t want to go into each of them. So, I will show another interesting one. The USD. Now this one I was a bit nervous with on NFP Friday. Let me show you this story.

2020-09-06_10-04-49
Ok. So. EOD Monday (the last day of the month) starts me out with them being in a bear market. Precisely 201 (pips) deep into it. So therefore, I place my original starting out trade going USD short. Right? Well then, Tues comes. Still bear. No brainer. No changes. Lost -67 pips. You should be able to see why I made those top numbers either green or red. If green (which they all are, every day) then they are simply going strong. It’s like a quick way for me to see which way they are heading. Up or down. Plus you should be able to see the strength of their bear market. What’s happening? The numbers are diminishing. Which means they are NOT getting weaker. They are getting stronger. Here’s the results of me being short the USD.

• Tues = -67 pips
  • Wed = -126 pips
  • Thurs = -266 pips
  • Fri = +22 pips

Total sum = -437 pips

Ok. Not great. Sure. But. What is the only thing I’m concerned with?
Me following their trend.
Did they change trends? Nope.
Do I do anything? Nope.
But I’m losing money.
So.
The ending of the story is not yet written. Therefore, I don’t care about anything else.

That’s nice.

I don’t care what all that is saying. Sure. It’s not that good. But the only thing I was concerned about was on Friday. Was the USD gonna change trends? At EOD?

Look above again. They came in at “Bear 70”. That’s a pretty good bit into bear market territory. It’s not as close as the CAD was to their respective trend, remember? This should clear some of those numbers up.

2020-09-06_10-24-34
The numbers tell everything. The USD is running a bull trend against the CHF and the JPY. But in a bear market against all of the others (hence 5-2). Remember, I follow the aggregate stated market. That is on the right. It’s basically the sum total of all of the 7. Now…when that turns green, only then will I be changing directions with my trade.

The NZD is running in a bull market against the USD, 25 pips in. That’s the strongest currency against the Dollar. Maybe this would explain that table. The strongest down to the weakest currencies against the USD.

• NZD = 25 pips
  • GBP = 23 pips
  • CAD = 20 pips
  • AUD = 12 pips
  • EUR = 1 pip
  • JPY = - 4 pips
  • CHF = - 7 pips

That’s a good break down of what’s been happening with the USD. But my bottom line is what their aggregate sum total comes out to be.

And doesn’t it figure Journal…for all of last month I was long the USD. Then learnt my lesson, which is to stick to the trend. Then now that I’m following it…what…it’s counter trending. Figures.

Honestly. I don’t care. I’m out to prove something (all explained in my most recent posts). Over time, I will be successful, as long as I follow.

I’m very happy the way things are going. I’ll tell you when things go awry.

Here’s what the rest of them look like.

The EUR.
2020-09-06_10-53-57
The GBP.
2020-09-06_10-54-53
The CHF.
2020-09-06_10-55-29
The JPY.
2020-09-06_10-56-12
The AUD.
2020-09-06_10-56-52
The NZD.
2020-09-06_10-57-32

Look. It’s early. Way too early on in which to assume anything. Now, come end of the month, then we should have some good data to show.

I don’t know about you, but I think this is quite fascinating. Very interesting. Who knows which currency will pull away, be the most talked about in the headlines, or even the most gawked at with the analysts. But you can be sure of this, that I will be riding them in the way they will go.

Follow.

Not speculate.

Mike

I’m with you. In my area, I would estimate that 95% of everyday citizens have never even heard of FOREX. When I try and explain what I do for a living, people react like they would when you tell them you are a professional artist:

“So what do you REALLY do for a living?” Or my favorite:

THE BLANK STARE :neutral_face:

Anyway, thanks for sharing your journal with the rest of the world. I tried doing that for a while and got so much criticism (comes with the territory) that it became too much of a distraction. Kudos to you for hanging in there with it.

2 Likes

Good m…afternoon Journal!
Yeah, this is a switch, being in here in the afternoon on a Sat. Normally it’ll be early in the morning. I’m a morning person. But today’s turning out differently for us. My Trish had to leave for the day (with her girlfriend), but not before we had to get our shopping done. Yeah, we had to do this quite early today.

So now. All done with everything. She’s gone. And very quiet around here. All I plan on doing is working on my business. This will be my first stop. I can explain a lot of things I’ve done this week, which is very helpful for me. And then, when I’m done in here I’ll have to look over my Business Journal. See, I don’t do anything unless I’ve started it in there. I write stuff down, like all my trading decisions, my thinking, actually anything that I do in my business. And well, I need to go over all that stuff. The weekends is definitely the time for that. Right?

Anyway. That’s nice.

Let’s see. How about looking over what happened in the market this week. Look. I don’t know about you, but when it comes to this review stuff, I’m not all that keen about it. My first instinct is to say something like this. “All of this is the past! We’ve lived through it already. So why rehash all this nonsense? What happens in the future is new stuff, not old, right?”

That is one point of view. But when I think about it, there’s another point of view. I think I’ll call this a narrative. Kind of like a story. We kind of need to keep up with it. There’s things that have been happening that we shouldn’t forget. So, let’s talk about these things. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

I’ve come to learn the best way to look at these currencies is on a weekly basis. In that context, I believe, is most prudent to look at. Back and forth they always go, but there always comes that break in the action on the weekends. We are all forced to step back and analyze the sentiment.

Last weekend was going something like this.

• USD been bullish. Most bid currency in the first week of this month.
  • CAD been bullish. Been wondering which side of the fence they’re riding on. With the Comms…or with the USD?
  • Comms (AUD, NZD). Seem to be faultering a bit. Just not too strong this month so far.
  • Safe haven buying been happening (last Thurs quite prevelant).

Alright.
With all that in mind, let’s see some numbers this past week.

2020-09-12_13-26-27
The top part is the month running. Each day been added onto from the last. The bottom table is the individual daily results by themselves. Lastly, results of that week.

So. Some questions.
Who was the most bought currency this past week?

• The CHF — +9.03%

Who was the most sold currency this past week?

• The GBP ---- -27.97%

Risk on currencies compared to the safe haven currencies?

• The safe havens are more bought. This past week, and since the beginning of the month.

The CAD is running in confluence with who more?

• The Comms, moreso than with the USD. In the monthly context.

Big game changer day.

• Tuesday. USD and the JPY most bid currencies. But also their respective bear trends changed to bull trends at this EOD.

The most volatile currency.

• The GBP. I’m pretty sure the BREXIT scenario has caused this nightmare.

Alright. That gave us some kind of feeling about the field. Right?
How about we zoom in a little more. Let’s look at some trends.
I’ve already mentioned the USD, and the JPY. So, we’ll start with them.

2020-09-12_13-55-09
Well, remember at the onset, how I mentioned that they’ve been having a bought up month? And been wondering whether that will continue? Well, there’s the numbers. They go from quite a strong bear market right into a bull market and continues pretty deep in, so far.

Journal, I’ve always told you how similar those 2 run. Here’s the proof. I don’t make this stuff up.

I want to make a point about context.
Look at Wednesday. If someone just woke up and seen all that selling of the USD and the JPY that day, without the knowledge of what’s been happening lately, they would’ve thought their respective worlds are crashing. Nope. On the contrary, they’ve just retraced a good portion of what they lost the day before. And the market goes for some more on Thursday.

It all needs to be put into the proper perspective. My estimation of their trends change over from bear to bull, on that day. I remember it. I did feel the change in the air that day. Anyway. The complete currency pip count is as follows.

USD
Monday = +236 pips
Tuesday = +488 pips
Wednesday = -309 pips
Thursday = +263 pips
Friday = -88 pips

Total = +590 pips
BTW…For the USD, on Monday, that’s a -236 pip result due to being in a bear market. But up above I counted it as positive.

JPY
Monday = +234 pips
Tuesday = +638 pips
Wednesday = -423 pips
Thursday = +302 pips
Friday = -121 pips

Total = +630 pips

So. Remember all last month I was thinking that the USD was gonna turn and burn? Into a bull market? But never did!!! Well, now it comes. Better late than never, I guess. That’s so typical. We always seem to get things right, just not at the correct timing. We should all know by now, that timing is everything.

It was a busy week, this past week. Not only did these 2 change trends, but others did also. Can you guess who?

2020-09-12_14-25-57
Sorry to even mention it. But the Pound lost their butts. I’ll go over this quickly.

2020-09-12_14-32-06
Monday = -719 pips
Tuesday = -843 pips
Wednesday = -399 pips
Thursday = -1360 pips
Friday = -246 pips

Total = - 3,567 pips

I’ll have to go over how I navigated these trend changes, in regards to my trading. You remember Journal, what I do, right?

FOLLOW

Well, the quick of it, was… I lost that first day of the week, of course. But then I was short the GBP every day thereafter. So yeah, I made the pips.

Let’s don’t stop here. We got more currencies that turned the bend.

2020-09-12_14-43-41
The CHF and the EUR.
Now the Swiss makes sense. I think they are being caught up in the safe haven buying. And well, the EUR. IDK. Probably because of what’s happening with the Brexit situation.

CHF

Netted +857 total pips this week (for long).

EUR

Netted +611 total pips this week (for long).

And again. I had to navigate these 2 for my trading. When they switch, then so do I. But I had to wait until Friday mid day to do it. Needed to make sure they would end up this way going into the weekend.

I do have to tell you. My numbers are very skewed because of the Pound. Let me explain.

2020-09-12_15-11-49

What do you notice different on how they ended?
Everybody is in a bull market, except the GBP.
This has never happened before.
How can this be?

Let’s look closer at the GBP.
2020-09-12_15-15-32
Last weekend at this time they were sitting on a bull market. 67 pips in.
To come up with the aggregate total (on the right), all I am doing is adding up the individual pip spreads, per each of the 7 other currencies.
Well, those are some big pip spreads, per each pair. That, in effect, will make those other currencies quite plentiful with their totals. Skewing them majorly. Look at the worst one. The CAD.

2020-09-12_15-31-30
They are in a bear market against every other currency, except the GBP. Right? But add up all of their totals. That puts them aggregately in a bull market. Cause that 105 is so large, that it covers all of the other ones. What does this mean? Really.
There’s 105 pips of a difference between the 5 ema line and the 9 ema line on the GBP. But not all that many between all of the other ones. See that 1-6 number? That means they’re bull against 1 currency and bear against 6 currencies. Normally that number won’t drop below 3. But it sure does now, huh?

Here’s the GBP chart.

So. If you look back at their table. The GBP/USD pair has 93 pips there, right? That’ll be 93 pips in between the 5 and 9 ema lines on that particular pair. That’s the latest result on that pair. And so on, with the other pairs.

But that’s all I’m doing in order to find out these currencies’ trends. I’m adding up the 5/9 pip spreads. Getting a sum total aggregate number. That’ll be the answer.

Let’s look at the CAD chart.

You can see that on all of the pairs (except the GBP) that the 5/9 pip spreads all favor the non-CAD currency. You can just look above at their trend table. Those are the spreads. Like with the USD. There’s 13 pips in between the 5ema line and the 9ema line. Favoring the USD of course.

Well, all I have to say is. This is one of the perks of trading a basket of currencies. You don’t have to be correct on all of the pairs. In fact, even most of them, either! Cause just take a look at my GBP/CAD pair. See where I got in on that one? Yeah. What’s up. That’s the top. Been riding that sucker all the way down.

And why is that? Cause the CAD has not changed trends yet! Technically they’re still in a bull trend, thanks to the GBP of course. You’ve seen those numbers up there. Sure. It’s skewed. But my account is in the positive. Look.

Look at the pip count, for my trades, on the top right. And how many am I in with the GBP?
A lot.

Anyway. This is basket trading for ya. I love it. I don’t have to be right a whole lot. Just aggregately speaking.

So. Getting back to the point.
Which is…
The GBP skewing up my numbers?
shrug
I took profit twice from them this week.

And as far as every currency being in a bull trend, except the GBP, then so be it. Someone can just look at that one pair (GBP/CAD) and say it’s in a bull trend, right? Right! So then, that’s just the way it goes I guess. I know that the CAD is slipping away, aggregately speaking, but not as much as the GBP is. In effect, the GBP is the only thing keeping them in the game. What can you do though?

Well, I better wrap this up.
So, let’s see. What can we say about the current state of the market?

• Most of the attention has gone to the GBP. It’s a sell.

The monthly running %'s.
2020-09-12_16-05-52

• The safe havens are being more bought than anything else.
  • The Comms are slipping away.
  • God bless the Queen.

Alright Journal.
Gonna fly.
I’ll come back with what my trading has been up to.

Mike

Good morning Journal.

I’ve been spending a lot of time going through my trades.
Very interesting, I got to say.

I mean, don’t we always do that anyway? I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’m such a perfectionist. But I’ll constantly go over what all my system entails. I guess a good parallel would be this. If you had a telescope (like the ones that pirates have) and was constantly zooming in and out on something. I’m talking, like, pausing at a particular point. Looking at that perspective for a while. Then, immediately changing it back and forth along the whole entire range. Oscillating the thing. Getting as much as a view as I can, all at once. Then I’ll zoom in on the finest point for a little while (microscope style). Just examining all of the different perspectives like that, spending certain amount of times at particular areas. How about this angle? That angle? Upside down even.

Frankly, I do that a lot. It’s kind of like how my mind operates. In any case, when it comes to my strategy, I’m always trying to discover more and more things about it. You know, the dynamics of it. There’s positive things about it, but also negative things. I’ll show you.

Let’s look at my GBP trade this week.
Well, as we all know, they went in one direction and in one direction only. But did I know this was gonna happen? Absolutely not. And it started early on too. Monday end of day comes. And it’s a disaster.

I document everything. And when I seen this at EOD, I’m like, this is a big change. Time to switch directions. In fact, it really doesn’t matter what I think, all I’m doing is following my protocol. And that is, when the trend changes, then so do I. Yeah boy, it wasn’t pleasant losing that amount of money, but let’s just stomach it and move on. Look.

2020-09-07_18-14-27
I mean, I even had a margin alert showing. That’s quite embarrassing. Anyway. What can I do…let’s just do what I got to do and move on. So therefore, I switch directions. That entails exiting out of my 7 GBP pairs. Getting back in going bear market GBP. But with a different position sizing on each pair (smaller). Originally I started out with 20k units on each pair. And now I will go with 18k units on each pair.

What can I do. I swallow that pill.
Will this trend continue? I sure hope so. In any case, it doesn’t matter, I need to follow my strategy. And it states that when their trend changes so do it. At end of day.

This is what I follow right here. It’s my indicator.
2020-09-13_07-58-25
That’s my end of day results for the Pound. They switched from a bull market (long) to a bear market (short). I colored that day’s pip results (719), so that’s the difference between my perfect system and my day late system. In a perfect world, if I would have known before the day started to go short GBP, then I would have gained +719 pips for the day. But that can’t happen. So then, at end of day, is when I determine what trend it is and then, and only then, do I know the results. I lost -719 pips on the day. Oh well, what can you do.

Btw…there’s a reason why I want to know what the perfect system results are. So therefore I keep that number up there as a positive (I count them). But I just color it to make it easy to see when there will be a difference between those 2 systems (perfect, day late).

Let’s move on.

Well that didn’t take long. It was only a day later that I seen this. And what do you know, it’s much past my 10% profit taking target. Yeah, I can live with it. +18.10%. I seen this during my mid day. It was around lunch time for me, in between my morning and afternoon school bus runs. I have a couple hours of down time. So I’m like…yep…time to take profit. I’m over my 10% threshold.

So, I do what I do. Exited out of all 7 short GBP positions. Immediately got back in with higher position sizing. Was 18k units per pair this time.

So then, it only takes another one day! Check it out…again.

So all this was a repeat from what I just did the day before. At lunch time, after I got home, I took profit again. And then re entered again. Same thing.

This time it was even higher, of a profit. +21.19%

So I do what I do. Get back in. Going the same way of course. This time my position sizing is higher. 24k units on each pair.

And so, that was that. This is the latest on this complete currency pair.

Well, I told you Journal, that whoever in the market is gonna make a big move, I’ll be in it. Yep. It happened. It’s awesome. Did I know this was gonna happen last weekend at this time? Absolutely not. No one did. You have to admit, this was a huge move for any currency. Even for the GBP.

The only way I can make this happen is by being in with all of them. You just do not know who’s turn it’s gonna be. For good or for bad. We just don’t know.

But think about it. What am I doing? All I’m doing is following a trend. Right? Remember what I was saying at the beginning about how I look at my strategy?

How did I catch this?
By taking the big hit on Monday EOD.
Switched trends.
Stayed in it to the end.

This doesn’t happen all the time. For every one good story I can tell you, there’s an opposite story.

I’ll tell you the biggest problem with trend following. Or I should say with my strategy. And that is on the switching days. That slippage…really sets you back.

This past week was not a good week for me. Overall that is. Cause I encountered 5 trend switches (out of my total 8 currencies). Last week I only encountered 1 trend switch. Was a better week for me. So therefore, the more trend switching that happens, the more I lose on the bottom line.

I’ll show you an example. My worst currency this past week.
The JPY.

2020-09-13_08-52-36
See what I mean about what happens on the trend switching days? There was 638 pips that were lost, that day, due to the changing of their trend.

Did I know this was coming? Absolutely not. How can I? There’s absolutely nothing I can do about this. So, my trading results end up like this.

• Monday = -234 pips
  • Tuesday = -638 pips
  • Wednesday = -423 pips
  • Thursday = +302 pips
  • Friday = -121 pips

Total = -1,114 pips

Well, if someone could have seen that they were gonna get strong this week, and simply started out going JPY long, well then, that’s a different situation. That’s speculating. Not following. You know what those results would have been?
----- +630 pips

I mean, that’s the game though. Right? Hindsight is 20/20. This is precisely what trips up every trader. When you see what has happened, after the fact, and then think you can somehow come up with a strategy that will make the future turn out the way you want. It just won’t happen.

That’s precisely why I choose a particular, defined point. It’s something that will always happen. A change in trend. It’s just…I never know when it happens. But at least I can narrow it down to something that is guaranteed of happening. And in the market, that’s saying something.

Alright. I’m back. Sorry. Took a pretty long break.

Where were we?

I guess I was taking a look at my trading. The plan. It’s effectiveness. Sometimes good. Sometimes not so good. Let’s continue with some other examples.

The AUD.
Again. This is what I look at. My indicator. It guides my actions. I follow.

2020-09-13_11-54-20

At the beginning of the month, I set it. Long AUD. My 7 AUD long pairs. And well, looks like I haven’t had to do anything. No changing of their trend. But if you look closely at the figures (inside the green…which is the strength of that trend), their bull trend has been deteriorating all the way up to the 8th. Basically, that was a lot of counter trend moving. So, what do you think I’m thinking? Probably change trends? Right? I mean, the market sentiment has definitely been going towards risk-off. That spells trouble for the AUD currency (should anyway).

Well, what’s the pip count from the 1st through the 8th? Being long.
Answer = -498 pips.
Ok then. What happens next?
Comes on back up. All in the last 3 days. And how many pips occurred in these last 3 days?
Answer = +704 pips.

Wow. What does this tell us?
Maybe…that my strategy of staying in until the stated trend changes actually works.

I’ve traded this way this entire year. And if anyone should know by now, it’s you Journal. I’ve told you many times already how the AUD produces great results. And on the contrary, how the JPY produces such not-so-good results.

I can’t figure out why. But there is definitely a difference in their dynamics. My only summarization is that the AUD basket of trades work better than the JPY ones.

Anyway.

Well, this explains a lot. Look up there on the top right. The individual pairs’ pip counts. What do we got? All in the negative except with the GBP. Again. Just like with the CAD. This is quite skewed. It’s not actually a bid up of the AUD currency. It’s a bidding down of the GBP!

In any case…what am I to do about this? Anything?
No.
I do think it’s good to be aware of though.

For instance, the feeling in the air is for a low AUD. Remember what the first 6 trading days of this month produced. AUD selling. So therefore, I’m prepared and ready for their trend to change. I won’t bat an eye when the time comes. That’s all.
Got to be aware of what’s going on in the market. That’s what this is all about. Plain and simple.

How about their close relative the NZD. What’s up with them?
2020-09-13_12-40-00
Well, they came down just like the AUD all the way up to the 8th. Same thing. But, you have to see it. They are faultering in the same way as the AUD. That 2-5 figure means that they are in a bull market against 2 other currencies. They are in a bear market against 5 other currencies. That’s a big drop from the 7-0 bull market they were comfortable being in for so long. Let’s face it…things are crumbling. I mean, it only matches the risk-off sentiment the broad market is conveying.

Alright Journal.
Looks like I need to cut this.
I’ll come right back and go through my other currencies.
Mike

Journal.

My EUR trade.
This is what I follow.
2020-09-13_13-20-40
So, Thursday comes. And what do I see? A change in trend. I remember that day. I was a little in disbelief about it.

Why?

Is the whole skewing the market has been doing lately. Originating from the GBP. I’ll show you what I’m talking about.

2020-09-13_14-37-29
When I take a closer look inside the EUR of what’s happening, what I see is that the GBP is really the only thing making them climb up into the bull territory. They basically doubled those pip spreads. The EUR/GBP pair. It goes from 24 pips to 48 in one day. Unbelievable. And all because of that, the EUR is now considered riding in a bull trend? Look over there on the right side. That’s just the sum total of all of it’s parts. It just doesn’t make sense.

Anyway.

What I decided to do was wait one more day. It was at the end of day Thursday anyway. I just wasn’t going to be so hasty about it, that’s all. I figured on waiting to see what happens on Friday. If this was gonna continue (the EUR bullishness), then I would act.

So. At mid day on Friday, I ran the premature numbers. Yeah, it was a few hours before the closing, but I needed know. And it came up with 60 pips BULL. That means there was a sum total of 60 pips in between all of the 5 and 9 ema lines. That climbed above the 10 BULL result which was on Thursday EOD. Ok then. Time to switch.

This is what it looks like just before I make the switch.

This was Friday’s results.
2020-09-13_14-58-46
The EUR’s complete currency pip count that day was +127 pips.
Sure, I should have gotten in at Thursday’s EOD. Now that I see it in hindsight. But I just wanted to make sure. I’m not upset about it. Just as long as I ended the week being on the correct side, is really all I’m concerned about.

The CHF story.
Is the very carbon copy of the EUR one. Both of these currencies were performed at the same time.

2020-09-13_15-07-27
Well, concerning the CHF. They do follow the EUR a lot of the times. But don’t forget, they also are a safe haven currency. And if you ask me, Friday pushed them all the way into their new bull market trend. They are trending bull against every currency (7-0). Sans the Pound. Plus, 102 is on the deep side. But, you have to see the numbers closely. Their bull against everyone else, but not by a whole lot. Riding the line quite tightly. Anything can happen moving forward.

Anyway.

Well, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the more switching of trends that take place, the more I will lose.

I guess I will finish with the USD.
2020-09-13_15-30-31
Boy…if you can’t see the skew here also…unbelievable. The ending here. I’ve been mentioning this with a lot of the other currencies. Is the only reason the USD is riding in a stated bull trend because of the GBP??? That’s 93 pips of the total amount of 116 belong to the GBP.
Anyway.

So, EOD Tuesday comes, and what a doozy. Of course I was short the USD until the end of the day. That’s -488 pips worth also.

Ok. So. Time to change directions.
This is what horror looks like.

I exit out of all my 7 trades. Come back in with 14k sizes on each pair (much lower than the original 20k sizes). So. We move on.

Here’s the latest look on my USD account.

Boy…that doesn’t look good. Whatsoever.
I’ll even shock you with this.

And that’s a starting account balance of 10k from the beginning of the month. Not going so good, huh.

All I have to say, Journal, is this.

I trust my system.

I have to ride this out to the end. The end of the story has not been written. I just need more time to play out. This interim time period is not always a pleasant time.

At the end of the day, I am super happy that I am on track by following my system. That’s my main concern.

Alright Journal.
I’m out.
See ya next time.
Mike

1 Like

Good morning Journal.

Well, let’s see what’s going on out there in the market. But first, we got to know where we were.

Well, I’ll get this out of the way real quick. The Chinese Yuan. I seen an article about how they are on the up and up. You do have to admit, they just might be up to something. Like changing their minds about wanting a weaker currency to a stronger one. Possibly due to their new stated strategy. It’s a dual thing. Their trying to strengthen both their domestic and foreign consumption. Basically, they might be thinking it’ll be better for them if their imports are cheaper (with a stronger currency). And well, they have been on the top spot on my monthly line up. So, that is being noticed by some analysts. And they’ll throw in their opinion about it. We’ll just have to keep this in mind, that’s all. But, that’s precisely why I’m watching their numbers.

And with that…let’s see the latest monthly figures.

This is what I find interesting.

• JPY got boosted this past week. From a running % of 5.97% last weekend to a 14.43% now. (+8.46% increase this week).
  • The other 2 safe havens (USD, CHF) have dropped down (not followed the Yen).
  • The NZD and the AUD are diverting (again). A little while back this was going on. I remember, cause I was complaining about this to you Journal. I just don’t understand this particular dynamic. This is very interesting to me. NZD = +7.55% /// AUD = -3.79%
  • The GBP sprang back some, from their fall last week. +4.93% I would say this is just a small retracement. Definitely not a change in trend.
  • The CAD dropped. -5.81% They’ve been falling ever since NFP. Having a selling month.

Ok. Yep. That’s nice. We got some kind of picture of what’s going on, right? I would say the JPY got the strength this week. Probably from the safe haven status. Remember what we had last week? Just look up above. The safe havens have been bought up this month.
Here’s what our Pip Diddy had to say about them in his write up on the JPY.

"The Japanese yen takes the top spot this week, riding higher despite weak economic updates from Japan.

It’s likely traders were buying yen this week as broad risk sentiment leaned more negative than positive, expectations of the new PM to continue Abenomics, and possibly on positive vibes from the latest Bank of Japan statement."

Man…I just love his weekly reviews. You just got to know what’s going on with these countries. It’s their fundamentals. I believe this is stuff we need to know. There’s no excuse for tunnel vision. Why wouldn’t somebody not want to get as much information as possible on why these currencies move?

That’s just an opinion on mine. Sorry. Everyone’s different. Maybe it’s just that I fancy macroeconomics very much. In any case, I fully appreciate all of Pip Diddy’s work. He’s a real genius.

What else is going on? Do we need to get micro on anyone in particular? Let me look around.

Alright. How about this.
Let’s look at and compare the 3 safe haven currencies. And in particular, their respective trends. This month.

• They all changed over to bull trends in the second week of the month.
  • This past week the USD and the CHF changed back to stated bear markets. But not the JPY.

Well, I think the best way to view these and to compare, is to look at their strength of their trend. The number inside the color (green or red).

• The USD has been weakening since Sep 10th.
  • The CHF has been weakening since Sep 14th.
  • The JPY has been strengthening this whole time.
  • We’re only talking this past week have they diverted.

Look. This is how I think about this. This is a dynamic. It’s just how the market is bending and molding their relationships. We’re not always gonna have them acting in the same way in regards to one another. What is, is what is. I just always find myself saying these words. "It’s very interesting."

So. In summary, what can we say then (about the safe haven currencies)?

Well, Pip Diddy said it, it was more risk-off sentiment this past week. But, as I have proved, it wasn’t coming by the USD and the CHF. It was only because of the JPY. So we can say that the risk-off sentiment has been continuing this month.

Let’s get a particular look at what happened this week. In this context.
2020-09-20_07-26-59
Those are individual daily results. Nothing but straight up. Take these simply by what happened that day.

• First off, we didn’t have any real moving currencies this week. The %'s are way too small. Around 5-6% a day is considered moving (volatile). That’s from open to close prices. Sure, there could have been some serious spring back during a day (making for some volatility), but in the end, the way it ends (I think) is most important.
  • The NZD took 2 days, for a most bid currency.
  • The JPY bought pretty good every day. That’s kind of uncommon.
  • Other than Friday, the USD has been tracking the CHF. Or maybe vise versa.
  • The AUD and NZD are diverging.

Let’s go back to the safe havens again. One more look at another perspective.

Those are the details on how they switched trends. You add up the 7 individual pairs to come up with an aggregate final determination (on the right). And as I have mentioned (complained) last week, the GBP surely skewed up these numbers. That’s why it took much longer for the Swiss and the USD to finally change trends. Just look at the GBP pair compared to all the other pairs. No comparison.

In any case, it should be evident on how the JPY is not trending bear against any other currency, in particular. Also, this can show you just how much stronger the JPY is faring on one currency pair against any other pair. And from what I see, the NZD is the closest currency to be taking them out. 3. Possibly. In fact, that might be a good proxy of judging whether the sentiment changes back to more risk-on. We’ll have to see.

Anyway. Check out the USD. Last week at this time, they were running a bull market against every currency except one (CHF). Their aggregate total was 116 BULL. Well, that changed over the course of this week. Didn’t it? But, those numbers were all on the border line anyway. So, it shouldn’t be such a surprise.

They are still running a bull market against the GBP and the CAD. See. Someone with tunnel vision could be thinking that the USD is maybe a little stronger than they really are. You have to see all of the parts, working together. So…are they? Uh…no. I don’t think so. It’s the same old USD. Back down they go. Seems like it anyway. Why fight it.

But this is my whole entire point. Frankly, I don’t care what any one single currency pair is doing. That means nothing to me. I think that is being short sighted. For a true comparison of how they are all relating to one another, you absolutely need to know what the sum total is. And that is what I go by, nothing less than that. That’s what I follow. The aggregate.

Alright Journal.
Got to run.
Mike

For anyone interested (or daring), here’s my numbers.
Much comparison and analysis can be done in here, trust me.

MY 2020 NUMBERS.xlsx (879.8 KB)

1 Like

I see you have been stuck on demo for awhile despite your awesome journal and tracking done here. You may just need a little adjustments to your system to make it profitable. My door is open to such traders demonstrating this level of commitment. Keep up the great work.

Also had a quick glance at your spreedsheet, so the first page is the trades and the rest are you tracking the movements of the pairs?

Good morning Journal.

Sat. morning, and still early, now. Yeah, I was planning on making it an early morning, this morning. I haven’t done this in some time. Getting up very early and getting a lot of work done. Oh, you know Journal, how I was. Remember the days that I was getting up at 2:30 am? Then I settled on 3am. And that wasn’t just for a small amount of time either. I kept that schedule for like 5 years or so. That was back when I was working full time at the shop. And then on the weekends, that was my most cherished time ever. I took advantage of every hour I could. I mean…I never slept in. Never. All I cared about was my numbers. The market. My business. All of that. I don’t know, it was like I was under the influence, of something. I guess I’m just a driven kind of person.

But then the times change. I grow up. I learn what’s most important in life. Prioritize my life a little better. You know, things like sleep. God. Life in general. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll always be a morning person. 4am is when my alarm goes off everyday. Even on the weekends. I remember when I first went to that time. It was like I was sleeping in every single day. Kind of weird. But, actually, was a relief. Sleep does the body good.

But…I got to tell ya Journal. I’ve been hot on the trail lately. Been running a lot of numbers, and just been kicking around some things about trading in general. So, this weekend, I plan on taking advantage of my morning times. And it started this morning. I woke up at 2am. Kind of like bringing back the good 'ol days. It’s quite easy to wake up when you have that sense of anticipation about what you want to do. It’s that feeling you get when you’re a kid waking up on Christmas morning. That excitement that runs through your mind about what’s gonna happen next.

The only difference nowadays, for me, is that I put my Lord first before anything. I spent the first hour with Him. Like I said… priorities.

And then, a little after 3am comes, and I get to work. I don’t want to get all into it now, about exactly what I’m doing, but just know it has to do with numbers. I guess it falls under the heading of back testing. I’ve just been having some ideas lately. Testing them out.

Anyway. Enough of that talk.
How about we look at what the market is doing?

Alright. Where are we at?
Here’s what I said last weekend at this time.

With that in mind, what happened this past week?

• Is the risk-off sentiment still on?
  • Are the other safe haven currencies catching a bid?

2020-09-26_05-54-37
And there is what happened on each day in particular. Underneath, is the weekly all totaled up.

And yes, to answer the question, the safe havens are still on it. But this time, it wasn’t the JPY. It was the USD. Right? Also, for as much as the USD was a bid, the Comms (AUD,NZD) were a sell. Just about in the same amount.

Also. I talked a little about the CNY (Chinese Yuan) last week.

Well, their still at it. This week, out of all 9 of those currencies, the CNY, was the most bid currency both on Tues and Fri. Is interesting. Again.
Don’t worry, I got my eye on them.

What else.

Well, along the same vein as last weekend, about the safe havens. Notice how the CHF did not come out to play?

I’ll blame it on the SNB.

Or were they trailing the EUR?
Nah…I don’t think so.

Well, that’ll be 2 strong weeks in a row that the safe haven currencies have dominated. In fact, let’s just take a look at what the month is looking like. We’re almost to the end.
This is the months running %'s.

Well that should clear it up for ya, right? It’s the USD, JPY show. They’ve been taking turns this month. Also, just look at the CHF. They’re starting to disconnect from the EUR. I’m sorry, but I happen to think that the SNB is seeing this safe haven buying and is trying everything to keep them more of a sell than a buy. Look. Up there at Sep 10th and the 11th. All 3 safe havens at the top. And the Swiss National Bank sees that too. From that point on they depress the CHF. I don’t know, whether it’s true or not, it doesn’t matter. It is interesting though.

The Comm currencies got murdered this week. Both of them. Remember their divergence I was telling you about last week? Well, now we know which way things went. South. I mean, where was the NZD gonna go anyway? Up more? No way. The safe havens are the bid, not the Comms. And that’s precisely the way it went this week. Down comes the NZD to big brother (AUD).

Yeah, I had some trend changes take place this week.
Here’s a look at the safe haven currencies’ trends.

• All 3 in a stated bear market at the beginning of the month.
  • All 3 get stronger and switch to their respective bull markets.
  • The JPY stays strong (bull) mid month while the other 2 waver into bear market territory.
  • The USD bounces back into bull market territory with the JPY. And getting stronger in it.
  • The CHF does not bounce back. Dropping deeper into that bear market.

Here’s the 2 Comms.

• The AUD cracked on Mon EOD.
  • The NZD cracked on Wed EOD.
  • For the month, the AUD topped on Sep 11th.
  • But the NZD topped on Sep 18th. All downhill from there.

How about the GBP.
What’s their trend looking like?
2020-09-26_08-01-56

• Fell hard this month, and didn’t retrace even half of where they came from.

I don’t know what to make of the EUR and the CAD. This is their respective trends.

• And there goes the EUR, switching back and forth again.
  • The CAD is…doing what they do. I don’t even know what that is. Can’t tell whether they are following the Comms or the USD. Honestly, I think they’re torn and are doing both. Down with the Comms (as you see there in the red), and some bidding along with the great month the Dollar is having this month.

Look way up above there at my first screen shot. The CAD ended this week being +3.00%. That’s much closer to the USD than the Comms. We’ll call it a positive week for them, as opposed to a negative week.

Actually, as I’m looking more closely to that pic, they were the most bid currency on Thursday. Huh… I wonder why? shrug
Well, in any case, they surely wasn’t following the AUD and the NZD currencies that day. Right? Probably some good economic data that came out. Can’t forget about that dynamic on our currencies. They can travel independently. For a day or two, anyway.

Well, I think I touched on everyone.
We’re heading into the last few days of the month. It’s definitely the most volatile time of a month. But not only that, we have the end of the 3rd quarter upon us, this time.

If any one is interested. This is what it looks like in that context.
Quarterly running %'s.

Can’t get the entire quarter in, but that’s the running %'s since July 1st. Anything standing out?

• The USD. At one point was running at -37.57%. EOD Aug 31st. So basically, all they did was do some retracing from that point. Their sitting at -18.66% now, as the most sold currency this quarter. And the point here is this…without knowing this context, you would think the USD is really stronger than it really is. You got to know from where they came from. Cause they’re not that strong.

• The EUR is. Not only are they the most bought currency this quarter ( +17.97%), but they are the most bought up currency this year so far.

BY FAR.

So, all I got to say is, don’t count out the EUR. Sure, not such a good month (as seen from above), but having a good quarter and year. More than anyone else can say.

Got to keep the proper perspective.

Alright Journal.
Thanks for listening to all that nonsense.
Well, I plan on waking up early again tomorrow morning. Maybe I’ll come in here and talk about something more interesting, like what I’ve been working on.

Mike

1 Like

Good morning Journal.

Well, it’s still early. Been up for awhile now. Getting a lot of work done.

I really wasn’t planning on coming in here today. Been so busy working on stuff. Sorry Journal. But…you got to check this out.

Well, I had, have, am presently going through, my ‘ah ha!’ moment.

Look. All I’ve been doing, lately, is back testing. My system. And because of that, it hit me. This has been under my nose the whole time. I don’t know why I didn’t realize it. Actually, I was realizing it this year, but for some reason didn’t want to embrace it.

It’s kind of like, it’s too easy. This is gonna be too boring. But you know what? I have to go with it.

I’m gonna be doing a lot of explaining here.

This is gonna be my Anchor Trade.
Remember that Journal?
As I was taught by my mentor, Terry, an anchor trade is that trade in which you know you will be successful at. It’s that proven, most relied upon strategy that you know works. You make your money off of it. Time and time again you have had success with it. It’s your bread and butter. That go-to trading strategy.

Well, I was all around it this year. And I never really realized it. Until now. I’m gonna trade this till the wheels fall off. Just to make sure.

And how did I realize this?

Like I said, it was because of the back testing that I’ve been doing. But let me walk you through it, on how exactly I came to realize it. I’m sure you will too.

This is my system. My strategy. The way I generate money out of the market.

Complete Currency Trade

• Basket of trades. That’s 7 pairs with the one currency as the common denominator
  • All going in the same direction of that one currency
  • All 7 pairs are treated as one. What’s done with one is done with all the others in the same manner. Ex…position size, exits, stops.

Perpetually running

• This is mostly related to a swing trading style than anything else
  • This trade runs all the time. No in and out. Just riding out the stated trends.

Trade management

• Only under 2 conditions will I intervene
  • Take Profit - My target place is at the +10% level, of a.b. This execution can take place at any time the threshold is achieved.
  • Switch directions - My complete currency trade must be following the stated trend. When it switches, I must therefore switch also. This would take place only at an end-of-day.
  • Re-entry - Upon exits, I readjust my position sizing, accordingly, and immediately re enter.

EOD numbers

• The end-of-day currency data is what I follow
  • Consisting of what the stated trend is

No restrictions

• No predetermined placed stops or targets attached to the trade

Which particular complete currency?

Now this is where we stop.

For the most part, this whole year, this has been the way I’ve traded. All of that up there. I’ve had some good success with it. And some failure with it also. But the biggest factor, in how much success this brings, all of this comes down to this—

—WHO?—
—WHICH CURRENCY?—
Trust me. There’s a difference between them all.

Well, you know, Journal, all of what I did this year. It’s all documented. But, I’m sure you remember the journey. How I started out with the one particular currency. The JPY. Yeah, back in March, boy, I seen some huge results. But as the months drew on, the slippage that comes with the switching of the trends was simply too much. It’s just not that profitable. With this currency.

Then I remember adding on the AUD. Found some good results with them. More on them later.

Then I remember starting to add into the line up the other currencies. Which eventually led up to what I’ve been doing this month. Which is having a specific trading account per each individual currency to trade. And that should about bring it all up to date. I’ve been getting some results this month. Not necessarily that good, but results nonetheless.

Let me skip to the quick. I’m gonna show you some of the back testing that reveals a lot about these particular currencies. You’ll see the differences between them all.

Ok. Well. First off, what is back testing anyway?
I know, stupid question. But it needs to be asked.

Back testing is plugging your system into what has happened in the past. How the prices have behaved in the past. It’s finding out the results of what would happen if you would trade this exact way. Now we all know that what has happened before will not necessarily happen in the same way in the future. For the most part. But there are some things that we can depend on happening again. Like…for instance…the trend. There will be a trend, in the future. Some kind of trend. Sure. That’s guaranteed. We don’t know is for how long it will last though.

Also it’s awesome that we can know, for sure, that it will be one of only 2 possible trends. Either a bull market or a bear market. That helps a lot. Right? Narrowing it down. Wonderful.

But, what helps out a whole lot, is when you have found a way to measure the trend. And along with that, a way to see when it changes. Seeing the strength of the particular trend is, I think, priceless. We don’t know what’s gonna happen in the future, but, I think, the best we can do is measure it, monitor it, and inevitably…follow it!

So, let’s look at the back testing that I’ve done. You’re gonna see:

• The daily results
  • What trend it is
  • When it changes
  • Which currency we are talking about (their differences)

Let’s start out with the JPY.
But first, an explanation of how I track each currency.

2020-09-27_08-17-44

Here’s what the month of March looked like for the JPY.

My data only goes back to Mar. So this is where we start. What kind of results can we get from this?

• Daily individual results. If you trade this complete currency (7 JPY pairs) for one complete day, on the 9th (being bull JPY), you would end up with 1,665 pips.
  • Running results. Holding this trade from the beginning up to Mar 24th the results would be 1,064 pips; for both the perfect system and the day late system. They’re the same because there hasn’t been any change in trend that whole time.

Now the differences between both of those systems all come down to the day that the trend changes. See there on Mar 25th? I colored in that daily result. 468 pips. I add that number onto the perfect system’s running total (1,532). But I subtract that number onto the day late system’s running total (596). 1064 - 468 = 596

See. When the day of the 25th started, my trade was running in a bull market (long JPY). Then EOD came and I found out that it switched and resulted in a bear market. Therefore the pip results change, right?

Well, therein lies the difference between those 2 systems. You just cannot know beforehand when the trend is gonna change. But most days it will go unchanged. So then…what are the results at the end of the month.

Month long results are: perfect system = 548 pips. Day late system = -388 pips. Ok. That’s nice. Right? But that’s what I’m gonna be looking at, moving forward from here. But…the numbers are all there to see. Like, for instance, seeing that during this month how the running results spiked up to 3,257 pips (on the 18th). And then dropped ever since.

Now. This is the whole entire reason why I’m keeping track of this. To be able to answer some of these questions.

• Over time, is this proving to be a profitable way to trade?
  • More specifically, are there enough pips to be made that make up for the loss of pips because of that change in trend day?
  • Is there credence, or having an edge, for holding onto trades through an entire scope of a trend?
  • Is it possible to be collecting pips this way by perpetually being in the market?

Now. More specifically, you need to know that I’m not counting on the perfect systems results. There is a reason why I want to know that, but for trading purposes, it’s the day late system that matters.

The day late system is easy to follow! What’s so hard about finding out what the stated market is, and then to position accordingly.

Well, I better cut this and send it.
I’ll come back with results. Like all kinds of results. Across the board. And will give you my ideal ANCHOR TRADE.

I’m on it.
Mike

1 Like

Journal.
Here we go.

I should throw up this pic again, cause it explains what I look at.

2020-09-27_08-17-44

Well, I gave you a good intro into what my back testing data will show. Let’s continue on then. With the JPY.

You seen Mar results. Well, let’s fast forward to the present. From Mar through to the present results. That should be enough time to get a sense of what would work and what won’t work. In fact, I do like the questions that I came up with on that last post. Need to put them up again. This is very important.

My excel sheet, which encompasses all of my data, is very large. I can’t possibly be able to show you all that I want to from it. I’ll leave the link at the end of this to be able to see all of it. So, all I can do now is show some ending results. From March 2nd to present.

2020-09-27_10-19-23

• Day late system produces -3,689 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +3,257 pips (Mar 18th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -5,522 pips (May 22nd). Could be called the draw down.
  • March 27th was the last time the running % amount was in the positive. The rest of the time, since, was running a negative amount.

So. What can I say about this then? This is not the currency in which I can trade this system and come out profitable in the end. 3 days short of 7 months, with these results, won’t do it.

Like I said, all of these currencies have different results. Let’s move on to another complete currency result.

The CAD.
2020-09-27_10-36-06

• The day late system produces -6,598 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +3,596 pips (Mar 9th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -7,670 pips (July 6th). DD.
  • March 23rd was the last time the running % amount was in the positive. Since then, been negative.

What can we say then?
Again. This is another currency in which this system doesn’t work for. You just will not be able to, over time, collect any pips.

Why?

Well, these are some of the factors which deem it ineffective.

• Switching trends too often. The trends don’t last long enough.
  • The amount of pips during a switch are too great to be made up.
  • Possibly range more than trend. That’s a hard one to determine.

Let’s move on to another one.
The EUR.
2020-09-27_10-50-12

• The day late system produces -3,025 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +5,944 pips (Apr 29th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -3,822 pips (July 13th). DD.
  • June 5th was the last time the running % amount was in the positive. Since then, been negative.

What can be said about them? Same thing. No go, in the long run.
We do have some probable points in time for this to possibly work. Look. From March all the way through June 5th they were running in the positive numbers. Maybe this can be custom tailored to make it work in a specific way, like only trading this at a certain, defined time. But not as a perpetually running, longstanding amount of time. That’s all.

Moving on.
The CHF.
2020-09-27_11-03-56

• The day late system produces -698 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +3,316 pips (April 29th). Matched the EUR regarding that.
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -1,008 pips (Sep 21st). DD.
  • The CHF was running a positive % amount the entire time, all the way up until Aug 26th. September was the first month they really dipped into negative territory. Not all that much negative either.

What to say about the CHF?
Not too shabby. I think they need more back testing data for a better analysis. But for this amount of time, I’m gonna say it’s more unreliable than for proven. Close though. Definitely worthy of some custom tailor work.

Moving on.
The USD.
2020-09-27_11-18-38

• The day late system produces -39 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +3,627 pips (Mar 19th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -3,224 pips (May 22nd). DD.

The USD can be characterized as one that goes through periods of mediocre times. Nothing too great. And nothing too bad. In one word, extreme less. Look. During that blow up back in the middle of March, the USD didn’t do all that. Take a look.

2020-09-27_11-29-56
What we’re most concerned about here, actually the only thing we’re concerned about, is what the system produces. The pips. Remember, this was an unprecedented move. And this is all we got from the Dollar? Man…I’m not impressed. Sure. Was a good up move. But it, pretty much, dropped just as fast. Look at those 4 days (Mar 24 - Mar 27). It drops -579 pips, then -555 pips, then -1159 pips, then -867 pips, all consecutively! Then on the 30th that was a positive 399 pips (that’s a negative result if you were bearish). Basically, it simply retraced everything. What I’m looking for is the best trending one. It’s not this one.

That comes with the territory of being the worlds reserve currency. Needs to be predictable, with no real swings. Comparatively speaking.

Moving on.
The GBP.
2020-09-27_11-46-23

• The day late system produces +291 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +2,472 pips (Mar 19th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -3,517 pips (July 22nd). DD.
  • Other than a few days in the middle of Mar. & these last couple weeks in Sep, they have produced negative amount of pips. Basically, it’s abnormal for the GBP to be producing positive pips.

What can I say about the GBP?
Too risky. I would need to do a lot more back testing on them. Again, like the CHF and the EUR, I would need to come up with a custom tailored particular way of trading them. Just not in this way of letting them perpetually run and collect the pips in the market. Nope.

Down to the last 2.

The NZD.
2020-09-27_12-01-19

• The day late system produces +140 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +2,320 pips (Mar 19th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -3,512 pips (May 22nd). DD.
  • Similar characteristics to the GBP. But better. They’ve spent much more positive running pip results back on Mar. And have been spending most of the time since Aug up to the present in positive territory. Not too deep into the positive, but in the hundreds though.

What to say about the NZD.
Does warrant more back testing data. Has the potential for some custom making.

Finally.

Let’s look at the AUD.
Let me point out, that there’s a reason why I chose this last. Compare these numbers to what I have shown above.

2020-09-27_12-16-21

• The day late system produces +6,053 pips.
  • The highest accumulated amount of pips at one point was +8,365 pips (Jun 8th).
  • The lowest accumulated amount of pips at one point was -929 pips (Mar 4th). DD. 3rd day into this study.
  • The first 5 days they were negative. The rest of the time they produced positive results. Very positive.

What can I say about the AUD?
There’s no doubt in my mind that over time, this currency collects pips. And with very little draw down.

Take a look at this chart.

This is the birds eye view of the AUD. From Mar to the present. Those are the running totaled amount of pips, taken on a daily basis. Also, if it’s a green dot, they’re in a bull trend. Red dot the AUD was in a bear trend. Now, technically speaking, you can see what the Draw Down would be on any down slope point, along the way. And, conversely, any upward moving slope constitutes addition of pips. But since I let my trades run perpetually, I’m only concerned with what the results are over time.

Let me remind you how I trade.
I go from take profit to take profit.

When I take profit, I’m up 10% on my account. Then I immediately get back in with a higher position size. Conversely, when I need to switch directions (meaning, that I will have lost some, negative amount) I will immediately get back in, but it’s with a smaller position size.

See. There’s a difference between collecting pips, and growing my account balance. Big difference.

If I’m assured that, over time, this currency will accumulate pips via this strategy, then given the fact that I can keep adding onto my position sizing should spell profitability.

I wish I could correlate an amount of pip addition to a % of my account addition. Know what I mean? Then I could find out exactly how much I could expect to produce over the course of some time. Called expectancy.

Anyway.

I think I’m gonna discontinue trading every currency and stick with this one. But, I do believe that I’ve found my ANCHOR TRADE.

I have some more thinking to do about this before the month turns over. Whether to demo trade the others or not. We’ll see.

Alright Journal.
Thanks for listening.
Mike

MY 2020 NUMBERS.xlsx (921.1 KB)

2 Likes

Good morning Journal.
Well, it’s still nice and early now. Still dark. Boy…do I love it when it stays dark longer. Basically, dark equates to quietness. And I like quietness.

Got up early this morning. I am taking advantage of my weekend morning times. Still. Cause I’ve been on fire, for some reason, with my business. I mean, the ideas have been flowing lately. And well, you know, you just got to go with it. Needless to say, these very early morning weekend hours are my favorite. I get a lot done.

And speaking of that…Journal, I’ve made some changes. It wasn’t long after that last post, last weekend, that I discovered something. And have been pursuing it every since.

It does figure, that this came at a time (all of that last post) when I realized that my system was working only with the AUD. I’m sure you remember that. I showed the proof.

Well, you’re not gonna believe this, but I found a better way.

Great. Now you’re gonna go on changing things, and messing things all up. Huh?

Yeah well, when the numbers, back testing numbers that is, show me a better way, what can I do? Ignore it?

Look. Honestly. This has been something I’ve been encountering over and over again. Plus…I’m not talking about something completely different either. I guess you can accurately call this an evolutionary evolvement of what I’ve been doing the whole time. It’s the next step. In the process.

Let me explain.

The trend.

What all does the trend consist of?

• A stated, or defined, state of what the trend is. Bull or Bear.
  • There is an increasing into the trend.
  • There is a decreasing out of the trend.
  • A changing of that trend.

Look. This is stuff that’s not too often thought about, but I believe it’s true. Let’s look at each of those points.

Bull or Bear market

It can’t be anything else. It’ll be either riding strong or weak. Right? Long or short. That’s the only way you can trade something anyway. But, someone could say that it’s ranging. Sure. I understand that. Directionless. Meaning it’s bouncing off of support and resistance levels. Maybe even coiling up. In other words, price is consolidating until a breakout happens. Sure, that’s a possibility. But, you can’t get around the fact that just before that happens, it came from being either in a bull or bear market to begin with. That ranging talk is more about how price action goes at the end of a trend. It’s a stalling action, that’s all. I just don’t count ranging as a defined market classification.

Things are either going up or they are coming down. Bottom line.

Increasing or Decreasing in the trend

Basically, we all know that price action is either trending or counter trending, hence increasing or decreasing. This might be one of those things we don’t always want to admit. If we’re in the trend, correctly, then why are there times when we are losing? Shouldn’t we always be making money when we’re correctly in the trend?

It’s not true. There’s a thing called retracement. It’s that part that we just don’t like. Everybody wishes the market can go in one direction. Straight. But then we eventually learn that Mr. Market operates in the zig zag way. Back and forth.

Sorry for the obvious talk here.

But…there’s something going on here when it increases and decreases within the trend. And we’re finally gonna get to what I’ve been realizing.

There’s this thing called Momentum.

• Force or speed of movement; impetus, as of a physical object or course of events.

In the market, I believe it relates more to the fact of price behaving in a similar manner for a time. Basically, it’s how much time price is moving in the same direction. I don’t know what else to call it. Cause it’s more specific that what trend means.

This is what I’m after. Let me show you what I mean.

The AUD, back in the month of March.
Bear trend… noted by the red color.
Strength of trend… noted by the number, under AUD, in the red part.
Daily pip results…noted on that last row. Under everything.
Momentum…noted in the second row from the top. The same amount of time the color stays it’s particular color (red, or green), is how much momentum is taking place. Ignore what those numbers mean. It’s the color that is important. Nothing else.

Now. Just look at the second row down. From Mar 5th (first red one), all the way up to Mar 18th the momentum was bearish. You can see that by either noticing that it’s a red color, or by seeing the strength of it’s trend getting higher (increasing numbers). Basically, that was all trending price action.

But then after the 18th, the strength of the trend went the other way, counter trended. The stated numbers all went lower. And then finally it officially changed trends. To a (stated) bull trend.

So then, what does this mean?
Well, let’s add up what the pip counts were during those times.
Mar 5th - Mar 18th = 6,245 pips.
Mar 19th - Mar 27th = -2,287 pips.

If you were short the AUD (that whole time), that’ll be the outcome during those particular days. And then, you can see that after the trend officially changes, that the momentum continues on through.

Basically, what I’m saying here is that during this AUD bear market time, you had the trending pip results (positive) and also the counter trending pip results (negative). Until it finally changed over.

I’m gonna show the running results from my original system. Which is, staying in the trend until it changes.

The second last row is the perfect system, and the last row is the day late system. The only thing that separates them is when the stated trend finally changed (Mar 30th). But anyway, that’s there running totals. It’s just each day’s total pip count added onto the next (hence running).

Ok. That’s nice. What do I got? 2,136 pips. Not bad.

Well, how about a showing of this new system I just got done explaining. I guess I’m gonna call it the momentum system.

Third row from the top is the trend strength. Same as above.
Also on that row is the color of the stated trend. Red for bear, green for bull. All that is the same as above.
Then the fourth row down (in white), is simply the pip results for that day. And that’ll be straight up what the results are. It doesn’t matter which direction I’m trading in, that’s the results.
Then the fifth row is the direction I would be trading in. Green for bull, red for bear.
The last 2 rows are what my trading results would be. First is that days results, and the last row is the running results.

Comparatively. What do we got?
No comparison.
7,150 pips.
I’m not regarding what the stated trend is. Just going with the momentum. That’s the momentum of what the strength is, not what the pip count is. I’m not following what the previous days pip count was, but what the previous days momentum of strength was.

It should be obvious what the stated trend is compared to what direction I’m trading in. It’s all in the colors. But look there…towards the end…you can see how I can get in on the bull market before it changes over to it. There was 6 days of bull market going on before it switched. Which translates into positive pips, instead of negative ones.

Look. It won’t always go this way. Trust me. I know. That’s why I went back and back tested out this data over the same amount of time. Did the comparison. And that’s why I’m definitely switching systems.

Check out the total results from Mar up until the present. Comparatively.

2020-10-03_08-14-55
From Mar thru Sep these are the results.

• Perfect system = 13,731 pips
  • Momentum system = 10,355 pips
  • Day late system = 5,239 pips

For Sep only, you can see that this momentum system performed twice as well as the perfect system. So yes, at times, this system is much better than the perfect system (which I didn’t think could happen). Remember, it’s impossible to be able to follow the perfect system! But it’s good to know what those results are anyway. And this is why…to compare against any other system. Like this one. But, over the long haul (those 7 months), the perfect system proves better. You got to admit, this is a close match to it. And actually, it’s twice as better than the day late system.

Well, I’ve been doing much back testing with this. Even with the other currencies. Well, that task is still on going.

So Journal, I clued you in on what I’ve been working on. And guess what…moving forward, this is how I’m trading. I’m keeping track of this.

I’m doing a lot of the same. Keeping a separate trading account on each of the 8 currencies.

The next time I come in here I’ll have to show you the results of how the month of September went, with that last system. Basically, I’ll put a gift wrap around what I wanted to find out at the beginning of the month, to how it ended. Have results.

It’s all a progression, Journal.
And it continues.
Mike

MY 2020 NUMBERS.xlsx (952.3 KB)

4 Likes