Political Opinion

We don’t have a renewable source of energy problem, but the storage of energy problem…We use lyon batteries still that are freakin ancient instead of inventing new tech…How many patents like this battery do you think are shelved in the corporate vaults ?? BBC News - Super-powered battery breakthrough claimed by US team
We also overconsumate energy with our energy inefficient cars and airconditioning and other appliances …All we would need is to invest more in the science instead of in the arms and we could go to the moon and beyond…Sht, that already happened but u know what i mean lol

Check this out: U.S. Supreme Court rules for Monsanto in patent fight | Reuters

So, as you may know, Monsanto basically has almost a complete monopoly on the seed market, over 90% of seed used in the US is their’s, and they patent their seeds so that farmers are forced to buy from them every year. Now, I agree with the court decision only because the individual was using monsanto seeds, but the problem is he has almost no choice, it is almost impossible to find non-monsanto seeds for certain crops anywhere, and monsanto owns the biggest selling brands of herbicide and pesticides, too. Round-up is easily the biggest brand name, even for individual around the home use. What’s evil about Mansanto is their crops can be cross-pollinated with the neighboring farmer, who, if they are using non-hybrid seeds for seed crop, will find their entire harvest sterilized.
Now, we can’t deny mansanto seeds are excellent products, a lot of work went into the research and development of their seeds, which do perform better than any other seed types for a given crop, and they have made great strides in making their herbacide and pesticide products work alongside their seeds.
What the farmer should have done was find seeds that were not produced by Mansanto. And I hope there is a limit on time on the patents for Mansanto, but I’ll bet they lobby Congress to extend their patents, just like Disney does to keep their 70 year old copywrights for their movie-stories “renewed.”

I think there should be laws that prohibit patents to be used to suppress, instead of profit from sales. I’m all for becoming efficient to save money, but there’s no such thing as “over-consuming”. That’s like someone saying, “you make too much money”. And just where, exactly do you draw the line?

Hi Pipcompounder,
Interesting article. But could you explain to a non-farmer such as myself, how does the harvest get sterilized? Is this kind of like trying to mate a dog with a monkey (e.g. doesn’t work)?

Heh yeah.

That article you posted it practically brand new. Give them some time to work it out.
That’s still a lithium ion battery. They found a way to just make it better.

You said the renewable resource was being stifled, not the storage of energy.

There will always be racism. SHOCKED FACE

A government can’t force a person to not be racist.

There are racist white people, racist black people, racist Arabs, racist Asians, and racists in every country.

There are even racists in Croatia.

You’re right… They didn’t amend the constitution to end slavery… Oh wait. 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: Abolition of Slavery

Where did I suggest we censor history and ignore centuries of racism?

I didn’t suggest the problem of racism was solved in Georgia… Or the United States… Or Europe… Or Australia… Or anywhere. I suggested that the problem of segregated proms in that school was solved.

That kind of stuff is generally solved directly by the people anymore.

I know this is an old article but the more I think about it the more it gives me the heebie jeebies…

Central Banks Load Up on Equities - Bloomberg

So central bank independence exists only in college textbooks. In reality, central bank balance sheets have become sovereign wealth funds using their unlimited supply of currency to scour the financial markets to vacuum up anything of value. The sovereigns have already cornered the market in treasuries to ensure yields stay low. I guess equities are next. Shouldn’t be too difficult since the equity market is much smaller than the credit market.

That’s why the DOW is 15,200.

Do you know that when you have one plant that is natural, and another same species next to it grown from hybrid seed, that if a bee cross-pollinates from the hybrid to the natural, it will sterilize the seed of the natural plant? The farmer in the supreme court lost because he bought monsanto seeds from a silo that monsanto sold seeds to for other purposes than planting. They were not from a seed crop. You should also know anything that is hybrid, plants or animals (mules), can’t reproduce.

Lol… It must be true, all the cool kids are doing it!

What % of GDP do you think the government should take? How will you stop the rich from leaving?

People in my AO are tolerant. Perhaps some are racist, but they are toleration.

I feel like an outcast in parts of downtown Atlanta. I get strange looks directed towards me. Racism happens. There is something about the color of people’s skin that just enamors people.

There are many studies where kids are given T-shirts of different colors, and they end up forming groups based on t-shirt colors.

Professor finds that in shirts, as well as skin, color matters (Nov. 23, 1998)

How do you suppose the government ought to cure people of racism? Lobotomies?

Thanks. Didn’t understand that hybrid seeds were also infertile. Anyway, this would all make for a good Sci Fi action thriller…

The fact that the Sovereigns are now showing little restraint in manipulating all the financial markets is serious “end of days” creepiness.

[QUOTE=“konan;492352”]I also noticed ,Jolly , that you baser all your arguments on the economic aspects of the problem…But there are so many other sides to the problems of this planet of ours…Pollution, overpopulation, global warming (not a hoax lol) and people really should come before profits, because what are profits if there are no people to make them or spend them…You follow? You remember Data from the Star Trek NG? You’re like him always just calculating the cost to benefit ratio… That’s not really how things work coz some things are much much more precious than the money, and I’m not thinking about gold either…XD

You’re talking about the debt all the time…But, who is coming to collect it? Who has a bigger army than the USA or more nuclear warheads?!

The real problem is the scarcity of fossil fuel energy that we are all dependent today because multinat. companies stifle the progress of the transition to renewable sources…

Screw the debt, just let us invent more cost efficient batteries for start[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Because all the other issues pale in comparison to the World’s largest superpower imploding. Many countries are heavily exposed to US markets and the shockwave from our crash would screw them up as well. Especially since our economies have been heavily tied together. IIRC the economies were tied together to have mutual destruction, so countries would be less inclined to nuke other countries.

You think because the US has the strongest military, we will people to flip the finger to the rest of the world and somehow nullify our debt?

There were many nations, throughout history that were military superpowers, and yet they imploded.

A strong military didn’t really help the Soviets.

The real problem is debt. It dwarfs all of our other problems.

And there will be no solutions to the problems you list if our economy is destroyed.

You can tax the rich all day long, you can confiscate wealth all day long, you can take everything from everyone, but the problems will still be there and they can’t be resolved without a restructuring of the US economy.

There are so many potential events and variables that could bring the US economy to its knees.

We are in a bubble right now.

Do you ever notice how stocks keep going up despite all the crappy news? It’s a massive joke, it will end, and when it does, we will no more be able to pay for welfare, entitlements or our military anymore than Zimbabwe can.

[QUOTE=“konan;492383”]
We don’t have a renewable source of energy problem, but the storage of energy problem…We use lyon batteries still that are freakin ancient instead of inventing new tech…How many patents like this battery do you think are shelved in the corporate vaults ?? BBC News - Super-powered battery breakthrough claimed by US team
We also overconsumate energy with our energy inefficient cars and airconditioning and other appliances …All we would need is to invest more in the science instead of in the arms and we could go to the moon and beyond…Sht, that already happened but u know what i mean lol[/QUOTE]

I’m not going to even begin to talk about how the government is terrible at managing the economy or how Global Warming is a fraud to create a massive Carbon Credit Derivatives market… Or how the financial cost of “curing” global warming, far outweigh the costs of dealing with it.

I will say that the US govt, including people like Obama, have no interest in green energy. Sure, they do a lot of political theater about creating green jobs, funding research, etc… But even if the government was capable of creating some Green Utopia, it wouldn’t.

Why not?

The US Dollar only has value because most major developed countries rely on oil imports, which are purchased using dollars, so they are forced to hold large stockpiles of dollars in order to continue importing oil. In turn this also creates consistent demand for dollars, and prevents the dollar from losing its relative international monetary value, regardless of what happens to the US economy. More important, the entire petromoney system and the potential for Petrodollar War hinges on global oil import demand and the oil price. Both of these have to hold up. When or if they do not, foreign oil importer nations who formerly found it beneficial to hold dollars to pay for oil, would have to find some other (unexplained) reason for huge holdings of dollars, when their oil imports decline and-or oil prices also decline.

If we take your advice and move towards green energy and the whole works, it would hasten the demise of this system and our economy would implode.

That might have something to do with why you haven’t been seeing all the green energy breakthroughs you’ve been wanting…

So what do you support? The US welfare state, entitlement state and warfare state, or green energy? You can’t have both while our government’s finances are dependent on the dollar being used for oil trade.

Do you ever wonder why we overthrew Saddam, hate Iran and overthrew Gaddafi?

One reason is because they stopped trading oil in dollars. However the war machine will eventually bankrupt the money machine, if some other variable doesn’t take us down before that.

I made a pretty picture with a conservative estimate on how big SEGS would have to be. :wink:

It’s the part highlighted in yellow, ignore the green.

How does the sovereign banks buying keep prices low? doesnt buying increase the prices? I feel I should understand this after a year here lol.

We may be already much closer to a “world government” than people think based on recent coordinated efforts of the largest central banks. They have become the financial long arm of the sovereigns. But these guys aren’t 20th century-style megalomaniacs. Central bankers are much more refined, quiet technocrats absolutely convinced that the free markets can be genetically engineered by their efforts to produce superior results.

Take Andrew Lo, for example. This brilliant man is Director, Laboratory for Financial Engineering at the prestigious MIT Sloan School of Management. A place where so many of the world’s central bankers have been educated.

If you read Andrew’s biography you will find that the inspiration for his interest in the field of financial economics was none other than Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy. In this 1950’s Sci Fi classic, Asimov sketched out a branch of mathematics called psychohistory, whose practitioners sample the proclivities of large numbers of people, then accurately predict the future based on what they learn.

One thing is for sure, the “free markets” will soon be history…

[QUOTE=“Shatners Last Stand;492520”]

We may be already much closer to a “world government” than people think based on recent coordinated efforts of the largest central banks. They have become the financial long arm of the sovereigns. But these guys aren’t 20th century-style megalomaniacs. Central bankers are much more refined, quiet technocrats absolutely convinced that the free markets can be genetically engineered by their efforts to produce superior results.

Take Andrew Lo, for example. This brilliant man is Director, Laboratory for Financial Engineering at the prestigious MIT Sloan School of Management. A place where so many of the world’s central bankers have been educated.

If you read Andrew’s biography you will find that the inspiration for his interest in the field of financial economics was none other than Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy. In this 1950’s Sci Fi classic, Asimov sketched out a branch of mathematics called psychohistory, whose practitioners sample the proclivities of large numbers of people, then accurately predict the future based on what they learn.

One thing is for sure, the “free markets” will soon be history…[/QUOTE]

Lol…Dramatic much?

[QUOTE=“Shatners Last Stand;492520”]

One thing is for sure, the “free markets” will soon be history…[/QUOTE]

Hey those are the books that got me interested in the markets. When I was 7 lol.

Wow…again, for the 4th time ,I’ll repeat this and drop it because you are being willfully ignorant about it. The southern states DID NOT want to abolish slavery, the south did NOT want to abolish slavery(therfor the unconstitutional Emancipation proclamation and the civil war and the passage of the 13th Amendment without the votes of the congressmen from the seceded south), as IT DID NOT want to end segregation even 100 years later and federal government had to SEND federal TROOPS in BECAUSE YOU GUYS WERE HANGING BLACK PEOPLE FROM TREES, you were publicly LYNCHING them and setting their houses on fire(only your parents generation) and police was killing them and setting the dogs on them, and making them sit in the back of the buses and making them attend different schools and use different restaurants, toilets…and etc and etc…That kind of racism, which is in no way equal to the racism you’re talking about…WITHOUT THE FEDERAL INTERVENTION this kind of stuff would still be going on in the south as you would have there a state of apartheid in part because you find the meddling of the federal govt. in your courts, businesses, police and school system unconstitutional! You fought the integration of black people into the American society ever since they got snatched in Africa to serve as slaves to the capitalist society of that time. —what’s wrong with admitting all this because it is all in the history books anyway, Jolly?!

What do you think is the bigger threat to the economy…debt or the rising oceans? lol…Debt is the natural bi-product of the capitalist system which needs to have constant growth in order to avoid recession…But how can we have constant growth when we are still hanging onto the the non-renewable sources of energy and minerals and freaking finite resources of this Earth…?! Thats right, by creating more debt…government bonds are by design instruments of debt. And when the FED
purchases these bonds with money it essentially created out of thin air, the government
is actually promising to pay back that money to the FED. In other words, the money was
created out of debt.

We are not all capable nor willing to make the change, but some are aware of the problem and are working on the solutions…Govt won’t “invent” green tech, but it sure could help in researching of the more cost efficient ways to utilize it…Everything depends on this after all…

Yeah, I liked those books too. But the world would be a happier place if central bankers read less Asimov and more Douglas Adams! Well, its lunch here. Time to head for the Big Bang burger bar…