Political Opinion

There is a word for this " Tribalism" and we are being forced to choice our Tribe and do battle with anyone who does not 100% agree with us. Thank of the movie “Hunger Games” we are living the backstory to that movie

1 Like

Not helped by social media either giving voices to anonymous extremists.

2 Likes

Tin_foil_hat_2

1 Like

Tinfoil hat, that is the label they give to discredit people who are getting just a little bit to close to the truth

1 Like

nono Not to discredit, its a crown. thank you and many others on this thread for revealing the truths.

now that we know whats wrong with us, what should we do to change things?

I’ve been puzzling over the state of political debate in the west for a while now, as to why its become so polarised, why the only voices heard have extreme views and why debate ratchets up into aggression within 3 minutes of any political conversation.

I’m thinking its largely down to the rise of single-issue politics. Lot of people these days are passionately concerned about one main issue, which to them is all-important for the future of the population. It might not even be that they have a solution, but they sure know what they don’t like.

Course, when you’re so passionate about a pet issue, everyone who is either against it or is just indifferent is an enemy, whether they’re passionate about the opposite idea or not. They can’t be compromised with on this issue because they’re not going to help. And so they’re not compromised with on any other issue either.

The age of political debate is over.

2 Likes

havent we conclude so far that everything is a lie anyways and manipulated by the media so it blinds the normal (good) people?

debate? havent heard that word in a while. whats it standing for?

IMO we have huge issues. but none that has been mentioned here so far (thou i for sure didnt read all the thousands of posts here) and that issue is the rise of populism, alternative medias which are highly uneducated and extremely biased, information bubbles which delude the view on the world for individuals, and social media which gives voice to the very wrong people- the ones who, with a huge conviction, usually little knowledge, think they are doing the right thing by try to force their opinions on others.

while the educated, bussy with life, kids, work and maybe their parents, the “movers” and “thinkers” have long given up on trying to prove the conspirancy-lovers wrong simply by the reason that it plays no role how many facts, stats and evidence you provide to them, they will still denny anythjng of that and try to find backdoors which enable them to, again, think differently. and even if there are non, they will claim that provided data/facts is either opinionated, onesided or simply plainly falsified.

so where is the debate? that word doesnt exist anymore.

ego-speeches, thats the new word to describe the new world order. everyone lives in his own world, and whoever has a different view, even only minor differences, is being labeled as the bad guy or the illusioned guy, or the insider guy, or the liar guy.

now combine this new world order with nostalgic thinking of the individual, especially if it is deluded (which it is, as we always see the past more positive than it truly ever was- pink glasses effect), and you have a dangerous mixture of uneducated media, social media, populist politians, deluded individual, denial of facts, “dehumanizing the opponent and people who dont agree” categorizing into “them and us” and in the end: seperatism into smaller groups which only justification of existance is the hate on other groups.

you wonder why im quiet on so many popular threads here? thats the reason, it is a waste of time.

3 Likes

Also, Tommor, extreme views sell.
You rarely see someone reading a newspaper, especially the tabloids, who is not either fully engaged with what they read (if they agree with it) or is infuriated by it (if they don’t agree).
Very seldom does an article achieve a broad concensus of agreement, far better to provoke a reaction from the readers.
Unfortunately this forum is moving in this direction. It only takes one small-minded, myopic individual who insists on ramming his own agenda down everyone’s throat to ruin it.
My own choice of action, or perhaps inaction, to these individuals is simply to ignore them. Let them scream and demand answers to their questions all they like, I refuse to be baited. MrDE’s response to them is to award a tinfoil hat, I applaud him for retaining his sense of humour.

2 Likes

That statement is true if you are on the so called left, as today the left has the opinion that they are correct about everything, everything they believe in is settled science and the world would be better off if the so called Right was silenced, which is why we see such a coordinated effort on YouTube and Facebook to de-platform people they identify as being on the Right.

2 Likes

Remember when it was okay to “Question Everything”

1 Like

The problem I see with this is you are not debating or disproving what the person said, but making the person the subject of your disapproval. This can lead to people just shouting down anyone they do not feel has a right to an opinion. We see lots of examples of this today and is the very thing George Orwell illustrated in his book 1984

1 Like

That’s correct, all I’ve done is stated my opinion, something I am fully entitled to do. I am not obliged to debate or prove my reasoning.

1 Like

Interesting how in that video every person was born outside of USA (and all of them live(d) in USA) except one, steve jobs, whose father was born in armenia and illegally imigrated to USA but luckily there was noone in charge back then to deport him.

Edited.

Never mind. Wrong thread. Sorry. Mistook it for @Falstaff’s other thread.

Not sure if your point is all illegal immigration is good or just selective immigration is good?

I didnt make any point.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

In the 20th century the US was a magnet for Scientist and forward thinkers looking to flee Authoritarian governments. As the US becomes more Authoritarian that trend may be reversing, we already see whistle blowers like Edward Snowden fleeing the country,

Yes poor steven hawking fleeing from the tyrrany of the united kingdom where they were hunting him with swords and arrows, and michio kaku barely made it alive swimming from japan to the united states with a pice of bamboo as help to not drown.

Thank god united states was nice enough to shelter them.

I don’t follow or trade Silver… maybe some metals traders can give some feedback on this…

Gold spiking down… Silver spiking up… 1 Billion a day run on Deutsche…

Europe… BOHICA…