Political Opinion

Middle class shake-down —
Elizabeth Warren’s plan to fund Medicare-for-All

From The Atlantic

Excerpt:

• “The gap between what she says it will cost and what it will really cost is in the trillions of dollars, and the middle class will be on the hook to fill that gap,” says Jim Kessler, the executive vice president for policy at Third Way, a centrist Democratic group that has been critical of single-payer proposals. “My guess is that with accurate numbers, she’s somewhere between $5 trillion and $10 trillion short. [Her plan taps] the rich and corporations as much as possible. Who’s left? The middle class.”

The Adam Schiff Dog and Pony Show

No ponies. — Only three dogs — and all three were democrat lap-dogs.

This so-called “impeachment inquiry” is making the entire democrat party look like a bunch of fools.
I hope they keep it going for months. Let’s bury the democrat party, once and for all.

Addendum —

Three days after I posted the cartoon above, The American Spectator published the following article:

This is a long article, but well worth the time it takes to read it. It puts the current Pelosi-Schiff sham inquiry into the historical perspective of the Nixon-Watergate hearings and the Clinton Impeachment Proceedings.

Here’s an excerpt from the article —

If the Meme for the Ages that emerged from the Nixon-Watergate hearings was “What Did the President Know, and When Did He Know It?” — and if the Meme for the Ages from Clinton was
“I did not have sexual relations with that woman” — this time the moment that may best be remembered will be when Pelosi-Schiff’s lead two star witnesses, Ambassador William Taylor and the State Department’s George Kent, were asked by Rep. John Ratcliffe:

“Are either of you here to assert that there was an impeachable offense in that call?”

The question was met by stone silence at the table. After moments of awkward quiet, Ratcliffe urged:

“Shout it out! Anyone?”

Yet the televised live moment of complete enduring silence continued. Crickets. Five long seconds of two “star witnesses” exposed, the silence of the shams.

Prince Andrew gave his side of the story last night.

He was the UK’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment - part of the UK Govt Dept of Business & skills. Thus his introduction to Epstein.

He is also ex Navy and saw active service in the South Atlantic (helicopter pilot)… Two roles prompted the medical condition that prevents the human body from producing sweat - first acting as decoy for exocet missiles and second piloting wounded evacs.

The photo posted above has been in the public domain for a few years often being printed by UK newspapers, apparently it’s a photo of a photo - nobody has yet come forward either with the original or to claim ownership/auhorship.

The question has been raised whether it is a fake photo, the analysis has proved inconclusive - looking at the photo two things spring to mind.

First that Andrew has a very long left arm and second the Dado Rail comes to an abrupt end behind Andrew’s head - these rails usually go the whole way to window or door openings.

I’m not a UK Royalist or supporter so no particular axe to grind.

The guy chose his friends badly. He already had the verdict of a criminal court that Epstein was not a man to be trusted, what more did he need to be convinced he should avoid the guy?

Maybe he did have sex with a 17-yr-old. That’s stupid, but not illegal in the UK.

From 60 Minutes Australia

More on Jeffrey Epstein’s international sex trafficking ring
including specific accusations against Prince Andrew

You’d better be careful, Andrew —

Jeffrey made videos.

Reporting on the Lunatic Left —

Politicians Are Promising Piles of ‘Free’ Stuff,
and All You Have To Do Is…Pay For It

1 Like

Yes it’s a bit wierd really how the British media totally overlook that point !

[Age of consent is 16 in uk - so she would have been “legal” for nearly 2 years.

AND in fact in many states of USA the Age of consent is 16 years (or less in certain circumsatnces) so quite how any “Foreigner” is supposed to know exactly who is “fair game” and who is “Jail-bait” - is a matter for conjecture - and more likely a matter of pure luck ! ]

My guess too is that it is no big Deal in USA - unless you happen to be a “Privileged white male” !

1 Like

Aye, it’s all about selling news - Cliff Richard was hung drawn and quartered by the BBC, most the media weighed in behind - after all who would make these stories up?

Carl Beech was recently jailed for making up paedophile attacks, but not until many innocent well known men went through hell.

The inquiry into the Police investigation by retired High Court judge Sir Richard Henriques found that a ‘culture that ‘victims’ must be believed’

Same thing with Andrew - found guilty without trial.

Cartoonists weigh in on …

2 Likes

The whole impeachment system makes me queasy.

It seems to be a way to test whether someone committed a crime but without going through the usual route of criminal proceedings. This creates a double standard in every area of the justice system which it impacts. Whether the accused is found guilty or innocent, there will remain doubt as to whether criminal proceedings might have come to a different conclusion. Those subsequent proceedings might be influenced and compromised by the impeachment process.

It does seem that the impeachment option is a means for the parties concerned to select a route towards ultimate justice whose path or outcome is more likely to suit them rather than proceeding down the usual criminal proceedings to which everyone else in the country is subject.

This is a two-tier system which favours specific groups over the common people. I can’t see that as being the most democratic principle.

Hello tommor,

Initially, I planned to quote your first sentence – “The whole impeachment system makes me queasy.” – and then simply reply “Me, too.”

But, being a glutton for punishment, I decided instead to wade into a discussion of the mechanics of impeachment, together with some of its pros and cons.

I will probably regret this decision. But, what the hell, here goes –

Impeachment is not a uniquely American political process – several other countries (about six, or so) also have impeachment procedures for getting rid of elected officials convicted of certain misdeeds. For persons outside those countries, the impeachment process is understandably puzzling. But, sadly, even Americans are largely ignorant of why impeachment exists, and how it is to be carried out.

The concept is simple enough. Impeachment is one of the checks-and-balances our Founders laid down in our Constitution, to make it possible for our Congress to deal with a criminal, rogue, or otherwise out-of-control President – or other U.S. government office-holder.

For now, let’s consider only impeachment of a President.

It is sometimes said that impeachment is a political process, not a legal process. But, I can’t wrap my head around that contention. Impeachment has all the earmarks of a legal proceeding, with charges leveled against the president by the House of Representatives, and a trial of the President on those charges by the Senate, resulting (if convicted) in the removal of the President from office.

It looks like a legal proceeding to me.

However, it can be readily politicized – as has been the case every time impeachment has been attempted. And the political circus it inevitably turns into probably explains why some believe it to be entirely political, and not at all legal.

I’m not qualified to offer a dissertation on impeachment. Even if I was qualified, I wouldn’t spend the hours that such a dissertation would require. So, I will simply offer some observations, which may or may not answer the questions implied in your post.

1. President Trump has not been impeached. Impeachment is not even (yet) up for a vote in the House of Representatives. Rather, a committee of the House, chaired by Representative Adam Schiff, is conducting an “inquiry” into whether Articles of Impeachment should be drawn up against the President and submitted to the full House for debate and a vote.

2. The process which has begun, and is unfolding, is not one branch of government employing checks-and-balances to hold another branch of government accountable, as the Founders described impeachment in the Constitution. Rather, it is one political party attempting to remove a President of the other party whom they could not defeat in the last election, and fear they will not be able to defeat in the next election. This process is possible only because the President is a Republican, and the Democrats control the House of Representatives.

3. It’s widely believed that, even if impeachment goes forward in the House, there is zero chance that the Republican-controlled Senate will convict and remove President Trump. Some believe that the Senate will not even conduct a trial (assuming charges are sent up from the House). Which begs the question: Why are the Democrats in the House going through a useless exercise, knowing that they will lose in the end? It’s generally believed that their calculus is as follows: If enough damning or embarrassing information can be generated against the President, then his support in the country will be weakened to the point that either (1) he will resign (the hoped-for outcome), or (2) he will fail to win reelection in November 2020.

4. President Trump is the fifth American President to face an impeachment attempt.

5. The attempt to impeach President John Tyler (1842) failed in the House. President Andrew Johnson was impeached (1868), but was subsequently acquitted by the Senate. President Richard Nixon faced probable impeachment, but resigned (1974) before Articles of Impeachment were formally drawn up. And President Bill Clinton was impeached (1998), but was subsequently acquitted by the Senate. In other words, in our history, no President has been removed from office by conviction in the Senate on Articles of Impeachment.

6. Wikipedia states: “The House of Representatives has initiated impeachment proceedings only 64 times since 1789, only 19 of these proceedings actually resulting in the House’s passing Articles of Impeachment, and of those, only eight resulted in removal from office (all federal judges).”

7. The Constitution does not define impeachment. Apparently, the Founders believed that the term “impeachment” was well enough understood by educated people of the late eighteenth century to need no further elaboration. Nor does the Constitution describe how impeachment proceedings are to be conducted, except to say that the trial in the Senate shall be presided over by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

8. The Constitution makes clear that the only penalty for conviction in the Senate shall be removal from office (and a lifetime ban on holding any future office). However, it specifically provides that “the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.” If impeachment itself is viewed as a legal proceeding, then this provision would seem to constitute double jeopardy – a consideration which tends to bolster the argument that impeachment is not a legal proceeding, but rather is a political process.

9. In my opinion, there is more than enough political hanky-panky in the current impeachment theatrics to justify the mockery and ridicule of the political cartoonists. And I welcome every opportunity to contribute to that mockery and ridicule. I can’t imagine any thinking person – Republican, Democrat, or Independent – failing to recognize that the Schiff hearings are a total sham.

@tommor

1 Like

Great post @Clint.

It helps me feel better but also worse so I guess impeachment still leaves me queasy.

Its good to know if the President walked into a bank and committed an armed robbery, he would be subject to arrest, trial and imprisonment on conviction just like anyone else. But there’s still this additional process which is always going to just muddy the waters: so he could be tried for armed robbery on impeachment even if the DC police had decided there was no case to answer.

I think the concept of impeachment is simpler than you’re making it out to be.

Impeachment, followed by conviction, followed by removal from office, is analogous to being fired by your employer.

If you’re being fired from your job for egregious behavior which also happens to be a crime, then you likely will also face criminal prosecution for that crime in a court of law. Your firing, in this hypothetical example, is a separate matter from the criminal prosecution which you likely will face afterward.

Under U.S. Constitutional law, impeachment of a President is similar to the firing described above. If the President is convicted of one, or more, of the crimes alleged in the Articles of Impeachment, he loses his job. Whether he subsequently faces indictment and trial in a court of law is another matter, separate and distinct from his impeachment.

Prince Andrew comes to mind. He’s basically been impeached, convicted, and removed from the Royal Family for bringing disgrace upon the Family. The verdict imposed upon him, presumably by the Queen, is completely separate from any consequences he may face in the criminal courts of the U.K., or the criminal courts of the U.S., or in any civil court.

Under the U.S. Constitution, impeachable offenses are defined as “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors”. In my view, evidence has never been presented that President Trump has committed any impeachable offense as defined by the Constitution. Rather, he is being subjected to an ongoing witch-hunt, which began before his Inauguration, and has continued throughout the recently-concluded Mueller investigation – the sole purpose of this witch-hunt being to reverse the outcome of the 2016 election. But, that’s a rant for a another post, at another time.

1 Like

Another fine post @Clint but the layered structure still remains. So the structure remains inherently biased and invites capture by political influences, as you suggest in this case.

Many contracts of employment in many job types will be terminated if an employee is convicted of a criminal offence. But the conviction has to come from a criminal court, not the the employer themselves. The employer does not call witnesses and forensics and surveillance and documentation - all they need is the court’s decision. If the court found the accused innocent or of the prosecutors decided there was no criminal case to answer and it never came to court, that should be the end of it.

1 Like

From Senator Ron Paul

Link > The Real Bombshell of the Impeachment Hearings < Link

Excerpt #1

• The most shocking thing to come out of the hearings thus far is confirmation that no matter who is elected President of the United States, the permanent government will not allow a change in our aggressive interventionist foreign policy, particularly when it comes to Russia.

Excerpt #2

• Take Lt. Colonel Vindman, who earned high praise in the mainstream media. He did not come forth with first-hand evidence that President Trump had committed any “high crimes” or “misdemeanors.” He brought a complaint against the President because he was worried that Trump was shifting US policy away from providing offensive weapons to the Ukrainian government!

• According to his testimony, Vindman was concerned over “influencers promoting a false narrative of Ukraine inconsistent with the consensus views of the interagency.”

• “Consensus views of the interagency” is another word for “deep state.”
1 Like

Hard to argue with any of that, Clint. It’s always been about Trump not towing the line re: Russia since he’s been elected.

Nasty Pelosi does Thanksgiving

cartoon - impeachment - 23

… Schiff and all the Democrats on his committee will be arriving for dinner shortly.

1 Like

A special Thanks to all the heroes that confronted the terrorist on London Bridge yesterday.

Sadly two innocent people lost their lives. Likely more would have died but for the bravery of the public and the Police.

I will repeat the words of Steve Hartshorn, spokesman for the Police Federation firearms unit:

“You know, they were all very brave yesterday, they all ran forward - members of the public and police alike. That decision to pull the trigger is never taken lightly.”

2 Likes

When the Democrats began their Impeachment Witch-Hunt,
I was inspired to buy myself a new baseball cap.
I’ve been wearing it everywhere.

I live in a deep blue state and,
everywhere I go, this hat triggers libtards.

Meanwhile, the donkeys in the Democrat Party
have their own idea of head-gear fashion.

cartoon - 20

1 Like