Political Opinion

Old Jungle Sayings

• I had so much fun when I made this the other night!

old-jungle-sayings

1 Like

All true @peterma - but there is a slight twist - Here’s the experience of a truly thinking lady who mentioned that incident on “Twitter” (vid starts a few seconds before she speaks of it)

When your enemy is committing suicide,
get out of the way, and let it happen.

Go for it, Democrats !

cartoon - impeachment - 27

cartoon - impeachment - 28

The Donkeycrats are fun to watch.

The Nadler Impeachment Side-Show continues today, beginning at 10 am ET. — yawn :weary:

cartoon - impeachment - 29

cartoon - impeachment - 30

The Nadler Committee has tweaked the recommendations of the Schiff Committee, and has voted to send draft Articles of Impeachment to the full membership of the House of Representatives.

The House will vote on the draft Articles next Wednesday. Democrat votes to impeach the President are expected to be nearly unanimous. Republican votes against impeachment will not affect the outcome.

After this vote, formal Articles of Impeachment against President Trump will be drawn up by the House of Representatives, and those formal (official) Articles will be sent to the Senate for trial.

cartoon - impeachment - 31

For her part, Pelosi will be remembered in the history books as the Mother of this Debacle.

cartoon - impeachment - 32

— from The Tea Party —

I know Fox News is showing 31 Dem’s that were first elected 2 years ago from Trump-winning districts
in 2016. Should be some interesting votes on Wednesday, then again in November 2020. I had heard that Speaker Pelosi had told her caucus that their vote will not be “whipped” but who knows if that was just a public proclamation?

Stupid Quote of the Week

Senator Diane Feinstein — “There is no Deep State.”

Over 100 years ago,
President Theodore Roosevelt
warned against the Deep State,
which existed even then.

I think it safe to say if you are in it, it doesn’t exist?

Its hard to see the full detail of this process and the possible routes ahead. These could impact market volatility over coming sessions.

From the numbers of respective Democrat and Republican representatives involved, it seems probable that -
Trump will be impeached
but
the Senate will not convict.

But there might be intermediate stages and alternative outcomes which could be of interest to traders. I can’t find out the definitive on these possibilities -

1. is the House legally required to find?
  2. is the House restricted to only two decisions - Impeach or Not Impeach? - or can they find differently?
  3. is the House legally obliged to pass an Impeach decision to the Senate?
  4. is the Senate legally obliged to hear the case?
  5. is the Senate legally obliged to find only either Guilty and Not Guilty? - or is there an alternative verdict?

As the markets are not very negative, they don’t seem to be rating the probability of conviction as very high. If the Democrats think likewise, they might find a way to avoid bringing this to a final conclusion. An adverse verdict from their point of view might strengthen Trump’s position, and/or strengthen the Republicans’ position, and/or strengthen/weaken certain Democrat presidential candidates’ chances over others.

I can imagine lots of horse-trading going on if this thing is less simple than the BBC say it is.

1 Like

Let me spew some of my frustrations when it comes to politics especially as of lately.

To be honest both parties are blaming one another and have been doing this for decades. When one party does something they wag their finger in discontent like they wouldn’t do it themselves if they were in the same position which is simply a farce as we all know. Republicans and Democrats alike are both bullshitting the American public, but alas when has any of these parties truly worked for the people in the past? Don’t get me wrong Trump is not even a great liar he’s just terrible and I find it so funny when he lies because he could literally go on a murder rampage and his base would eat that up like a fat kid with cake. Now do I like Trump - not even remotely close but I’m not a Democrat as well. Democrat have been trying to sell bullshit stakes to minority voters like myself for decades and have never actually done much in improving the system. The majority of them talk a good game and when they get in power they are usually easily corrupted or follow their own agenda. Republicans are looking more unified like a fraternity but it’s also become obvious there isn’t anyone their who has a backbone to stand up and Trump runs that party like his own let’s be honest. Again - I don’t care for Trump nor do I like him. I would be lying though if I was to say this isn’t probably the easiest time to make money under him. Just because he vocalizes a lot of what he likes and doesn’t like in the markets it’s pretty easy to see where you could place your money and let it grow. Never entered the S&P 500 until about 2 years ago and literally that portfolio is just steady gaining. Pretty similar with the forex positions I expected some type of deal or work-thru so I went long on USD/JPY, CAD/JPY, AUD/JPY a few months back when USD/JPY was respectfully around the 107-108 | CAD/JPY around the 81-82 level | AUD/JPY 73-74 level|. Again I’ve been having the most profitable 3-4 years under him which I can’t deny because it’s pretty easy to speculate moves with him and his temperament.

One thing I will say is the impeachment is hurting the Democrats so badly they don’t even understand. They haven’t learned from the first election when they tried to vilify him and he won by a landslide via electoral college. Your better off just speaking on what you can do instead of trying to make him the enemy. In making him the enemy you’ve actually just fueled his base and he’s gaining more supporters . Again Trump is a dunce but it’s the easiest time to make money. The large investors and mega funds all know this. Even though are assets are bubbling & corporate debt is just becoming unmanageable when that melting pot does explode eventually it’ll be notorious wipeout for the markets. Alas I’m done with my political rant for today.

1 Like

Bring on the Senate hearings, I have not watch any of the circus from the House but I cannot wait to see the Republican controlled Senate make Joe Biden testify, that will be golden. Only the Democrat party would be so dumb as to impeach Trump over a case that exposes the corruption of the man they think can beat Trump in the next election

1 Like

For my Brit mates, I saw someone describe the House impeachment of the President as the same
as our Founders saw in England with a no-confidence vote. They put the trial in the Senate to overcome
any blatant party bias that wasn’t in their homeland of England and requiring a 2/3 vote. Genius!

There’s a bigger play at this I can already see how the Democrats will try to rationalize it. Once it goes through Senate and it gets rejected & revoked they’ll try to use this as a flip coin heading into 2020 election saying something like we tried to bring justice to the American public and the Republicans stood in the way of that. They haven’t realized once this measure finally gets through and rejected they’ve would’ve alienated anyone who was remotely in the middle/on the fences. Just setting up their defeat to be even bigger and it’s sad because I’m pretty sure they’re some sensible Democrats that know this is a waste of time & resources at this current moment. There are towns & cities in America that are still dealing with 3rd world issues. Let’s address those problems as they matter way more to the American public than some glorified c-span trial. I wish our constituents would have an open ear to the American public. Majority of Americans don’t see Trump in the highest light but even we can see the tactics that have been deployed to go against Trump are simply political and nothing else and that’s the saddest thing for me. Again you won’t find me defending Trump on a lot of things but here’s one of the few times where I’m like this is completely pointless and just wasting time and resources when we could be focused on so many other important things.

2 Likes

Here’s my take on your five questions –

1. is the House legally required to find?

Prior to an actual vote to impeach, the House could (but, won’t) scuttle this whole process, by simply announcing that impeachment is off the table.

2. is the House restricted to only two decisions - Impeach or Not Impeach? - or can they find differently?

If impeachment is brought to a vote (as it will be), there are only two possible outcomes: (i) The vote to impeach passes, in which case the President is impeached, or (ii) the vote to impeach fails, in which case the Democrats will have a lot of egg to wipe off their faces, and Trump will have Tweet-material to last through his second term, and beyond.

If the House scuttles the impeachment effort prior to actually taking a vote on the question, there are other ways they can try to embarrass the President: They could, for example, pass a resolution of censure, which is a purely symbolic gesture – about as meaningful as the U.S. House of Representatives censuring the British Prime Minister.

3. is the House legally obliged to pass an Impeach decision to the Senate?

Yes. If the House votes to impeach, then the President will be (essentially) indicted or charged. In this case, the U.S. Constitution provides that the Senate will try the President on the Articles (specific charges) sent up by the House of Representatives.

Note: It’s theoretically possible for only one of the two Articles of Impeachment currently under consideration to be approved. That is, the President could be impeached on Article I, but not impeached on Article II. In that case, the Article (singular) of Impeachment sent up to the Senate would be tried by the Senate.

4. is the Senate legally obliged to hear the case?

The Constitution does not say that the Senate may (or may not) refuse to hear the case. But, it’s generally accepted that the Senate has the obligation to deal with it in some manner.

Here is the exact language in Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Some comments:

(1) There has been a suggestion that the Senate (i) receive the Articles of Impeachment (assuming the House approves them and sends them on), (ii) read the Articles into the record, acknowledging that they have been received, and (iii) then (without debate) immediately vote to convict or acquit based on those Articles – a vote that would surely result in acquittal by the Republican majority.

Whether this would spark a so-called constitutional crisis, I can’t say. (But, it would certainly cause Senator Schumer’s head to explode.) If a constitutional crisis ensued, it would obviously be over the question of whether “the sole power to try all Impeachments”, as worded in the Constitution, implies the obligation to try all Impeachments.

(2) Article I establishes the legislative branch of the U.S. government – the Congress – consisting of the House and the Senate. Even before establishing the President as chief executive (in Article II), and the Supreme Court and the rest of the federal judiciary (in Article III), Section 3 of Article I establishes the procedure for removing the (yet-to-be- defined) President, in a trial presided over by the (yet-to-be-defined) Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

(3) Note the German-style capitalization of nouns, as rendered by the authors of the Constitution. And note also the peculiar placement of colons in two places in the portion quoted above (after the phrase, “…the Chief Justice shall preside:” and after the phrase “…or Profit under the United States:”

5. is the Senate legally obliged to find only either Guilty and Not Guilty? - or is there an alternative verdict?

It’s a binary choice – either Convicted or Not Convicted – on each Article of Impeachment.

Presumably, if two Articles are sent to the Senate, they will be voted upon individually, and theoretically the President could be convicted on one, but not the other.

But, this is strictly a political process, wrapped in the trappings of a legal process. As a (partisan) political process, the chance of a conviction on any Article of Impeachment by the Republican-controlled Senate is nil.

1 Like

Fabulous outline of the possible routes this may take. Thanks so much @Clint.

Nasty Pelosi, The Mother of Impeachment

is planning to call for for a vote on
the Schiff / Nadler Articles of Impeachment
at about 7 pm EST today

cartoon - impeachment - 33

Meanwhile, in the Senate, they’re getting ready to deal with this farce

cartoon - impeachment - 34

Democrats have no answers to the major issues of the day that is why they need this Sh-t show to divert attention from the real issues. Democrats ( the politicians not the voters) have for all my life been the party of Blame and No Action, when out of power they blame Republicans for everything then when they get into power they take No Action to fix the very things they blamed Republicans.

1 Like

So, the President is Impeached. Market reacts with a minor negative price move. There seems to be a low probability of conviction. All other outcomes I see as being more positive for price than the Impeachment was negative. My buy order is already set.

And now Pelosi is refusing to send the impeachment to the Senate, Is Washington broken , Hell Yes!