Political Opinion

Hello Dennis, happy to oblige.
From Fortune .com, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health details the U.S. government’s egregious mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic, identifies a powerful predictor of COVID-19 deaths, and suggests responses that could still alleviate the pandemic’s damage.
The key findings of this were;
The Trump administration’s initial U.S. travel ban on Jan. 31 applied only to non-U.S. travelers and only to travelers coming from China, though the virus was “already known to be present in Italy, Iran, Spain, Germany, Finland, and the United Kingdom.”
No symptom screening on arrival was required, nor was quarantining. Later research “found repeatedly” that “the great majority” of the virus introductions to the U.S. came not from China but from European strains.
European travel bans didn’t come into place until mid-March.
Failure to use federal authority and budget to supply PPE. Eight months into the pandemic, over 80% of U.S. nurses report they are still reusing at least one type of single-use PPE.
Trivialising the use of masks while asking supporters attending his rallies to sign a waiver excusing him and the rally organisers of blame in the event supporters catch covid at the very same rallies.

3 Likes

Dennis, there’s plenty of data out there explaining the ACAs failures and causes. This is easily searchable. ACA was brought to battle in the courts the day it was enacted. Look up co-ops and look up what insurance lobbyists and politicians did to the grants and subsidies that were supposed to flow through to those seeking premium relief. Read about the Supreme Court’s decision on the Medicaid expansion mandate being voluntary and what that did for state’s not accepting Medicaid expansion THAT WAS GOING TO BE PAID FOR BY THE GOVERNMENT. What does refusing Medicaid expansion do to a states individual market? Drives up costs. Read up on Repub and Trump’s effort to keep people from enrolling. They cut the HHS’s budget from $60+ million to $10+, even cancelling commercials and advertising already paid for, used to advertise enrollment periods nation wide. Potentially insured, who normally would get help from locally sourced “navigators” didn’t get the outreach needed to get enrolled. The federal budget was cut AND red states enacted laws against getting enrollment help to the people that need health insurance the most. What happens when people don’t sign up for ACA? Well, the insurance/risk pools get more expensive to maintain, and guess what, premiums go up. Hmm, what happens when you cut funding for advertising and marketing for a service. People don’t know it exists. People don’t know how to enroll. Enrollment goes down. Oh, and the enrollment window was cut in half. Hmmmm, less time to enroll causes what? The enrollment numbers after Trump was sworn in support this. Read up on Republican efforts to sue against premium subsidies and cost sharing reductions. The Repubs started that during Obama’s admin and continued by suing the Trump Admin as well. Trump could have made a ruling on CSRs, but let the issue drag on until right before the 2018 enrollment. Guess what happens when there’s uncertainty about whether the government will reimburse insurers? Premiums get more expensive because insurers build in the price of subsidies they can’t be certain they’ll get from the government. Read up on risk corridors and how Republican efforts basically drove smaller insurers and co-ops out of business. What happens when fewer insurers buy into the system? Many people don’t sign up because there’s nobody to sign up with. Less enrollees. Insurance pools are affected. Prices go up.

ACA wasn’t perfect (they made many assumptions that didn’t pan out, whether that was political, regulations getting in the way, or just plain bad math, expecting people and businesses to do one thing but doing another), but it wasn’t given a chance to work as designed. Much of that was political, led by Republicans in Congress and Republicans at the state level and of course the healthcare lobby, delaying tax cuts, reducing budgets, and suing for their own interests instead of the communities.

More uninsured become insured because of the ACA, but it also caused insurance gaps with middle class folks and premium increases averaged double digits in many years since it’s release. But since 2018, on average, premium rate increases are slowing down and are in the low single digits. Trump Admin will claim victory here, referencing short term policies, but those plans miss the boat on coverage and support for pre existing conditions.

But let’s be real, the Repubs and Trump have not offered a viable alternative. Trump’s plan was high on promises, low on details.

1 Like

Disgraced loser Trump and his non-existent health plan :rofl:

You’re on your own now !

Mulitiple hundreds of posts - and posts - and posts

All Parasitic on the Don - None of them showing any original thought or reason.

Now we can see as he walks off towards the rest of his life - They’re all screaming - “Hey Wait” !

Sorry Betas :wink:

You’re on your own now ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

little biden is just a puppet to those who are really running the country now,

If you still don’t know who, just look at BIG Tech , specifically the FANG stocks all up big

1 Like

Only 1461 days to go ! :slightly_smiling_face:

Carlos my friend I am seeing lots of words but you are not saying anything

Trump’s travel ban was opposed by the World Health Organization and every Democrat in Congress, do you really think adding all of Europe was an option for a President under impeachment

the key two words here are “later research” It is easy to find faults when using information that was not available at the time.

I don’t know where the hell you came up with this one, by late summer PPE was back in stock at Amazon, the federal government spend billions on these supplies so nothing here makes sense

Carlos, as a non-citizen of the US you may not be aware we are a nation of sue-happy lawyers, so signing liability waivers on just about everything is normal here. as far as the waivers for covid, every company in the country had one, my grocery store had one post outside the story, my church had one for when we started attending service again.

Just like in your original post, where is the accountability for China, WHO, Congress.

2 Likes

Typical Trumper, excuse after excuse for getting things wrong. Its always someone else’s fault with you lot.

A 500 word paragraph, really!, not even Nancy Pelosi would have taken the time to read all this before voting for it, and Pelosi reads everything ( that is sarcasm)

It is clear you blame everything on Trump and the Republicans. So how about we take up this conversation in a year, with no T&R standing in the way biden should have no problem fixing everything you blame on T&R and I should see a big reduction in my families health Insurance premium,

To be continued in 2022

1 Like

hopfully we are talking about the second coming of Jesus, I see no other way out of this mess

1 Like

This is the lie told by the media and parroted by some on this thread

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 7.50.51 PM

Here is the Truth

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 7.51.08 PM

1 Like

Hey Dude…you’re not listening to me. You will never educate Dennis.
I told you them snowbirds only think of their wallets even if they are running out of time to spent all
them insurance premiums.
Today was a special day for the civilized world as we watched an obnoxious creature slink off into
oblivion after his final litany of lies to the assembled proletariat with red hats. OMG how sad.
They should have have given him a rusty motorbike to ride off into the sunset. A dreadful waste of aviation fuel using Airforce 1.

2 Likes

Michigan’s solicitor general says the state may file more indictments against former Gov. Rick Snyder in the Flint water case

Proud Boys are ditching Trump hours after he left the White House for good, calling him a ‘shill’ and ‘extraordinarily weak’

1 Like

Ah right, Repubs get 6 years, do nothing. Trump gets 4 years, does nothing. Biden, you have 1 year to fix it all! Got it.

2 Likes

There are some sad boys on this site now that D J Trump is gone they will have nothing to talk about.

Heaven forbid they may have to acutally talk about policy.

Blackduck

2 Likes

Inauguration Day and the USD is tanking. I thought Biden was the saviour of the world. So why isn’t the USD heading to the moon??

Cheers

Blackduck

2 Likes

You do realise that a falling dollar is beneficial to the US economy, don’t you?