Political Opinion

China Is Buying Up The World’s Ports…And No One Is Talking About It

He who controls the ports controls the world’s commerce. Imagine the power they have.

sad times we live in

New York Moves to Allow 800,000 Noncitizens to Vote in Local Elections

The bill, known as “Our City, Our Vote,” would make New York City the largest municipality in the country to allow noncitizens to vote in local elections.

Laws permitting noncitizens to vote in the United States

In 1996, the U.S. Congress passed a law prohibiting noncitizens from voting in federal elections, such as U.S. House, U.S. Senate, and presidential elections. Federal law did not address state or local elections.[1]

As of March 2020, two state constitutions specified that noncitizens may not vote in state and local elections: Arizona’s and North Dakota’s. No state constitutions explicitly allowed noncitizens to vote in state or local elections.[2]

Fourteen municipalities across the country allowed noncitizens to vote in local elections as of June 2021. Eleven were located in Maryland, two were located in Vermont, and the other was San Francisco, California.

According to the Pew Research Center, there were approximately 25 million noncitizens living in the U.S. as of 2017. That included 12.3 million permanent residents and 2.2 million temporary residents in the country with legal permission and 10.5 million living in the country without legal permission.[3]

Whether noncitizens should be allowed to vote is a subject of debate. Click here for support and opposition arguments and here for more on the debate over the prevalence of non-citizen voting.
Federal law states that it is unlawful for a noncitizen to vote in federal elections and establishes the punishment of a fine, one year in prison, or both for violation of the law. The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 states the following:

“ (a) It shall be unlawful for any alien to vote in any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing a candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, unless—

(1) the election is held partly for some other purpose;

(2) aliens are authorized to vote for such other purpose under a State constitution or statute or a local ordinance; and

(3) voting for such other purpose is conducted independently of voting for a candidate for such Federal offices, in such a manner that an alien has the opportunity to vote for such other purpose, but not an opportunity to vote for a candidate for any one or more of such Federal offices.

(b) Any person who violates this section shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than one year, or both.[4]

The law includes the following exceptions:

“ © Subsection (a) does not apply to an alien if—

(1) each natural parent of the alien (or, in the case of an adopted alien, each adoptive parent of the alien) is or was a citizen (whether by birth or naturalization);

(2) the alien permanently resided in the United States prior to attaining the age of 16; and

(3) the alien reasonably believed at the time of voting in violation of such subsection that he or she was a citizen of the United States.[1][4]

it would be interesting to have a “political opinion” conversation that did not allow links, or at least didnt end up being a fountain of links, but instead was about individuals actual opinions…

any opinions

this topic was established by Clint

topic subject: I’m starting this thread as a place for members of this Forum to express partisan, political opinions.

this is a thread for people of this forum to express their opinions.

this thread is not intended to become a wastedump of random links to webpages.

trades are in progress.

kind regards.

you are not a trader

you are not a trader

That is not a political opinion.

Several of my recent posts are very specific about my current trading.

I am however unable to find any post from smallpaul that shows his trading.

my bio as a software programmer is fairly extensivie.

i would bet my last dollar that smallpaul cant code his way out of a wet paper bag.

anyways, lets discuss politics…

i find the situation in both the united states and in the uk and actually most of the european countries to be reaching a boiling point…

some are suggesting that we are breaking into a new world war.

Someone talking about me?

1 Like

Evenin’ Stan :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

you are correct those are not political opinions

are you that important?

california is running dangerously low on water.

lake mead is down to dangerously low levels.

hoover dam cant even produce electricity any more, because of the water shortage.

do you see the “bathtub ring” in the picture? that is how far the water level has gone down.

and it aint going up no more… there are so many people now sucking water from this water source, that the level is going down and down and down.

How long until Lake Mead is empty?

Experts say it may never be full again. Lake Mead is now at 36 percent capacity — a number that will continue to fall as the reservoir’s rapid decline continues to outpace projections from just a few months earlier. Water levels are projected to drop another 20 feet by 2022

Evenin’, Mate.
Just sittin’ back, eating popcorn, and enjoying the view…

2 Likes

Nope. Just that old. You?

2 Likes

lol, all good :ok_hand:

Bit slow tonight - watching the kiddies do their crayoning.
Think I’ll wander off an play poker for a bit

And at the same time California has closed the last of their Nuclear Power Plants without having any alternative power source up and running

1 Like

yeah, the big issue is the water shortage… without water, cant water crops… cant give water to livestock… and the problems just snowball…

technically, you can live without electricity… but you cant live without food and water.

know what else is a very serious issue?

the bees are dying.