Political Opinion

" As scholars, civil rights activists and King’s own children have long pointed out, uses of King’s words, especially by right-wing conservatives, are too often attempts to weaponize his memory against the multicultural democracy of which King could only dream"

“People are always saying Dr. King was for a colorblind America,” she said, “and nothing cold be further from the truth.”

-Bernice King, daughter of MLK

Some food for thought.

1 Like

Here’s a good read on where analysts see oil prices going for the year.

I was taking him at his word. Sure the kids know better of what he meant, though,

As we have seen over the past few years, the right wing has not judged a man by his character, so I doubt MLK would support the right wing movement today.

I’m sure both thoughts are true. It’s when people start proclaiming both can’t exist simultaneously or don’t share the context of how those words were spoken, people can misunderstand the meaning.

It is unlikely that conservatives will ever quote MLK again if they read the full context in which those words were spoken

Here’s one of MLK quotes. You think the right wing would love this statement by MLK

“Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn.”

― Martin Luther King Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?

Look, the quote the man if you’re being genuine, regardless of party. Don’t quote and flip the meaning of the quote on it’s head.

I mean it’s always harder to get context and background about something. It takes time. People don’t want to do it. But that stuff matters.

1 Like

Those who misunderstand the quote of a man fighting racial injustice are misrepresenting the meaning of it

If one of MLK’s kids asks one of them what they are doing to fight racial injustice, I bet they would stop quoting him.

You mean like giving money to the BLM movement?

It would be a question. I don’t know what their answer will be

I was pointing out what MLK was fighting. something right wing is against.

Ok. I’ll play. What’s YOUR answer?

what are you asking or you asking me how i would fight racial injustice?

Yes. That’s what I’m asking. Criminal justice reform?

That’s not a answer without thought, there are many types of racial injustice that can be work on

Nice Spin move

I wanted to stop quoting him, like you said. I need to know what I need to do to fight racial injustice. I feel like we are going around in circles.

It’s like we’re going in circles because I can’t tell you how to fight racism, but if it’s in your heart you will find the way. If you really want to fight racial injustice, you will find the way. MLK had his own way of fighting racial injustice, but not everyone is built like him.

Ok. Thanks, then.

If you are truly committed, you will find all the resources you need, just type in your search box.

EDIT: btw, my answer is two-fold, for me personally, I’m not committed to that because my commitment is to other activities, I treat everyone based on their character.

America politics has come to this, if you don’t like the outcome, commit a crime or make up a fake resume. a new theme for the republicans

Defeated Republican charged with attacks on New Mexico Democrats.

A failed Republican candidate in New Mexico was charged on Tuesday with contracting four gunmen to shoot at the homes of Democratic officials after he visited them to dispute his 2022 election defeat.

Solomon Pena, who lost a November state House of Representatives race, faces at least a dozen charges for masterminding Albuquerque drive-by shootings on residences of two county commissioners and two state legislators since Dec.4, according to the county prosecutor’s office.

Pena, described as a “radical right election denier” by Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller, was arrested on Monday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-told-gunmen-aim-lower-190406099.html

Here we are 5 months on and now Brandon and maybe even Brandon Jr. has been caught with a few boxes full of classified documents…

As stated back in Sept 2022… It’s all just BS … Like everything else that comes out of the White House!

Why did Biden take those documents home…? He wasn’t even President…

1 Like