Political Opinion

In America, every industry operates the same way, lobby the government, to benefits their industry that only benefit the corporations while taking advantage of the people, while trying to get less regulation with little oversight and very little accountability. Unfortunately, we the people have no say in the matter, so we can only complain.

Yes, sometimes people voices get too loud, so Congress scrambles to introduce some BS law full with loopholes to keep the noise down. just like they did insider trading laws, a new law with different ways to inside trade without causing a ruckus

I disagree.

A few years back I visited Harvard. When there I realized that Harvard is not only about the students - it’s focus is world of knowledge and all that embraces.

Many years ago i heard someone complain about the Apollo mission and it’s ‘waste of money’ - I countered then that money doesn’t get wasted - it gets spent on wages, food, consumables, etc - money gets circulated - and out of that mission technology gains even to this day.

So it is with education - it circulates to the future.

Pres Biden often talks about the coffin ships that sailed from Ireland to the US - a Christian of those times foresaw that education rather than war was the route out from poverty.

I’m a product of that Christian’s insight.
Edmund Ignatius Rice - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Veterans’ And Consumer Groups “Heartbroken” After Trump Vetoes Student Loan Relief Bill

Veterans are often targeted by predatory, for-profit institutions. The Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University found that around 20 percent of GI Bill recipients go to a for-profit institution, but about half of all complaints filed by veterans are about for-profit schools. These schools tend to have relatively low completion rates and the highest student loan default rates compared to other higher education institutions. For-profit schools that have collapsed and closed, such as Corinthian Colleges and ITT Technical Institute, have left many veterans with a useless degree and substantial student debt.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2020/05/30/veterans-and-consumer-groups-heartbroken-after-trump-vetoes-student-loan-relief-bill/?sh=7ee9d4487ecf

Democrats Nix For-Profit Loophole That Targeted Veterans and Servicemembers

“Millions of military and veteran students use their hard-earned education benefits at a variety of educational institutions, including the types of trade and vocational schools that my own father, a WWII veteran, attended using the original G.I. Bill,” Sen. Tom Carper, a Delaware Democrat, said. “Unfortunately, we’ve seen some poor outcomes for our veterans and for taxpayers from bad actors in the for-profit college sector, and many of these schools, like ITT Tech and Corinthian, no longer exist.”

“For the past decade, our nation’s Veterans Service Organizations have called on Congress to protect our military and veteran students, and close the 90/10 loophole,” he said. “Today, at long last, Congress heeds that call.”

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2021-03-09/democrats-nix-for-profit-loophole-that-targeted-veterans-and-servicemembers

Choose your complaints wisely, it might be your own party that’s doing the damage, neither party is innocent, but I’m sure you are a good American and put people over party politics. :roll_eyes:

I guess starting with and protecting the vets is always a good thing.

Feds threaten big fines against for-profits schools that dupe troops, veterans

Federal Trade Commission officials are vowing to crack down on “shady” recruiting tactics used on service members and veterans by for-profit colleges with harsh new financial penalties for offenders.

On Wednesday, the commission sent notices to 70 of the largest for-profit colleges alerting them of the potential for fines of more than $43,000 per offense for unfair or misleading recruiting tactics. Officials said the move comes in response to a 70 percent increase in complaints around education and recruiting issues between 2018 and 2020.

“For too long, unscrupulous for-profit schools have preyed on students with impunity, facing no penalties when they defraud their students and drive them into debt,” said FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement. “The FTC is resurrecting a dormant authority to deter wrongdoing and hold accountable bad actors who abuse students and taxpayers.”

My opinion of this law is that it is just wrong in so many ways to take away citizens’ rights to boycott and trying to force them to make a pledge.

Laws Preventing Boycotts of Israel Are Sweeping the U.S. This New Documentary Chronicles the Fight

Palestinian American Bahia Amawi, a pediatric speech pathologist, lost her job with Austin, TX public schools after refusing to pledge that she would not boycott Israel. Mik Jordahl, a lawyer for Arizona’s prison system, lost his, too, after refusing to sign a contract that he would not boycott the country. And Arkansas journalist Alan Leveritt resisted pressure to renounce boycotts of Israel—jeopardizing crucial advertising money for his newspaper from the U.S. state.

Director Julia Bacha’s documentary Boycott follows the stories of these three diverse individuals to examine how U.S. laws punishing political boycotts have spread across the U.S. All three individuals sued their respective states over the restrictions.

The documentary notes that between 2015 and 2021, 33 U.S. states passed legislation or executive orders that allows for punishing individuals or companies that express support for boycotting Israel. In a majority of the states, that applies not only to Israel, but settlements in the Occupied West Bank that are considered illegal under international law.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/laws-preventing-boycotts-israel-sweeping-204907292.html

peterma my friend, you say you disagree, then talk about “Apollo mission” and “coffin ships” I am sure you have a point there, I just don’t see what those things have to do with the insane tuition charged by some colleges here in the US.

1 Like

Government and corporation corruption, it doesn’t get much worse than when consulting firms are hired.

How Money Works is an excellent Youtube channel and does a great job exploring this massive waste of money

1 Like

A proposed law that would require people blogging about Ron DeSantis to register with the state is a 'clear violation of the First Amendment:

A Florida lawmaker has introduced a bill that would require all bloggers who write about Gov. Ron DeSantis to register with the state or be fined. Organizations like the ACLU tell Insider that the proposed law violates the right to free speech.

A representative for the American Civil Liberties Union’s Florida chapter told Insider the bill, S.B. 1316, is “un-American to its core.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/proposed-law-require-people-blogging-040424865.html

Glad to see the ACLU still cares about free speech. I wasn’t so sure.

1 Like

The Democrats are stupid when it comes to crime in their cities, they’re too scared to address the issue head-on, and they’re too busy listening to what Republicans are saying about them. One of The reason you are losing. Former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani deserves credit for taking on crime head on and winning

Adams says Lightfoot defeat serves as a ‘warning sign for the country,’ denies feeding GOP narrative on crime

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said Sunday that fellow Democrat Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s election defeat last week should serve as a “warning sign for the country,” rejecting criticism that he is feeding into the Republican narrative on crime in addressing public safety concerns in the Big Apple.

“Public safety is a prerequisite to prosperity. Same as Chicago, like New York, and many of our big cities across America,” Adams said during an appearance on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“That is why we zero focus double-digit decrease in shootings, double-digit decrease in homicides, which we have witnessed this year, particularly the month of February,” he added. “All of our index crimes are low, low for the entire year. We are focused on public safety because people want to be safe. They don’t feel safe. And they actually say then you’re going to lose control of your city.”

Lightfoot became Chicago’s first mayor in 40 years to serve just one term.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/adams-says-lightfoot-defeat-serves-181752091.html

For them the world is a one-sided coin, They only care about free speech when it is speech they agree with.

1 Like

If you don’t address the issue head on, you gonna have more of this

Workers in Democrat-run North Carolina tourist city bemoan downtown decline: ‘Really disturbing’

Business owners and workers in a Democrat-run North Carolina tourist town said their downtown district is deteriorating amid rising crime, rampant homelessness and diminishing police.

Multiple people who work in downtown Asheville, North Carolina, bemoaned the condition of the city and pinpointed a lack of police presence to its decline, according to an investigation by local outlet Asheville Watchdog.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/workers-democrat-run-north-carolina-175855609.html

1 Like

More evidence the Unaffordable Care Act SUCKS!

I am having a terrible time finding a doctor that will accept my healthcare.gov approved health insurance, purchased on the government health insurance marketplace. It seems to me that if our money ( Federal Reserve notes) is legal tender for all debts, public and private. Then should not Federal approved ( mandated) health insurance be universally accepted by all medical providers?

A quick duck duck go search shows I am not alone dealing with this problem,

American Healthcare SUCKS, and we can thank congress and the insurance companies

That is my rant for the day

How is everyone else doing?

2 Likes

Health care was a start, but either party could have improved it or strapped in a better system. I have a feeling this is all the big boys were willing to sacrifice, but clearly something better could have been achieved.

Yes. I forgot the tongue-in-cheek emoji.

2 Likes

Any policy that suppresses free speech should be denounced, it’s just Republicans suppressing free speech at the moment.

When you start ignoring certain things, you are ready to accept anything even if it deprives you of your rights.

Fox News lied about election fraud. Why didn’t Trump Nation voters notice – or care?

The cable network had become a unifying voice, a cultural hub that brought together the stories that gave credence to an increasing belief among Trump supporters that America’s well-educated progressives were taking over the nation and pushing an agenda that demeaned religion, hard work and traditional families while promoting gender equality, high taxes, lax immigration rules and an ever-expanding welfare state geared to non-whites.

But now we know that voice — that echo chamber — was filled with lies.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-lied-election-fraud-100011594.html

"Dropout or stay in school? - YouTube

Great link mate !

Harvard has enough cash squirrelled away to give all it’s students completely free education, accomodation and board for the next 120 years ??!!!

Yet still demands $1.5 Billion a year off the uS taxpayer - whilst paying no tax at all itself !

I have to say that I have long wondeed why we should grant “Charities” Tax-free status at all - At the very least they should pay a standard rate of Corporation Tax ! - and yes - I mean ALL Charities ! - why the hell should I be stuck with making up the tax they should be paying - on what is in effect unearned income ?

3 Likes

You KNOW you’re a failure when Walmart gives up on you!

Walmart’s departure from Portland shines light on rampant property crime

It is understandable for someone who gets all their news from Yahoo, to believe the statement above

In the real world, here in the US, free speech is being controlled by Social Media giants, ( Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft) all of which have strong ties to the CIA, Deep State, and Democrat Party.

Advocates for change on both the right and left have a hard time being heard as these companies use algorithms that censor anyone not supporting the status quo.

We little by little are becoming the novel “1984”

Happy Tuesday Everyone

3 Likes