Political Opinion

Even though he wasn’t blamed for the payout, he had a huge cult following on the network, and people believed everything he said, including his blatant lies and absurd conspiracy theories, so his words influenced people’s actions and their behavior in a negative way, and after the settlement, he went back to business as usual, so maybe Fox took that into account, who knows, That’s just my opinion

According to court records, Rupert Murdoch was concerned that his network and media personalities played a part in the Jan-6 riot,

On that note, here is my favorite left-leaning independent reporter giving details of biden and his undemocratic means of holding power, biden is no less a dictator than Putin and Xi Jinping

Simple answer " Nether"

If you want to put the blame on one person then you must start with Federal Reserve Chair Allen Greenspan, Next on the list ( as no one person not even a president has the power to cause such a financial crisis ) Would be the Democrat-controlled “Committee on Financial Services” Chaired by democrat Barney Frank, Frank and his committee had oversight over Freddie Mac and Sally Mae and claimed everything was fine with the mortgage market right up until the day it was not

I am in America (the former land of the free) and The Big Short is one of my all-time favorite movies, once in a blue moon Hollywood gets it right

2 Likes

I just asked the question and outlined the timeline; you can blame whomever you want, but you must consider what happened and who did what.

Great Recession Timeline

Bankruptcies Begin

April 2, 2007: New Century Financial declares Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company specialized in so-called “subprime” mortgages, or home loans to borrowers with poor credit histories, making $60 billion in such loans in 2006 alone. It attributes its financial troubles to an increasing number of borrowers who defaulted on their mortgages in a slumping housing market. Earlier in the year, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (or “Freddie Mac”) announces that it will no longer purchase risky subprime mortgages and mortgage-related securities.

Dow Jones Soars

October 9, 2007: The U.S. stock market hits an all-time high, as the Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches 14,164 points.

December, 2007: The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) retrospectively declares that the economic downturn, which was later dubbed the “Great Recession,” began at the end of 2007, after two consecutive quarters of declining economic growth. At the beginning of the downturn, the U.S. unemployment rate is 5 percent and the net worth of American households stands at $69 trillion. The latter figure falls to $55 trillion over the course of the recession.

January 30, 2008: The U.S. Federal Reserve drops short-term interest rates to 3 percent, marking the fourth time the “Fed” opts to reduce interest rates since September 2007, when rates were 5.25 percent.

February 13, 2008: President George W. Bush signs the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 into law. The legislation provides many Americans with income tax rebates and gives tax breaks for businesses purchasing new equipment.

Bear Stearns Collapses

March 16, 2008: After losing billions in subprime mortgage investments, 85-year-old brokerage firm Bear Stearns collapses and is purchased by JPMorgan Chase at the cut-rate price of $2 per share. Bear Stearns stock had been valued at $30 per share just days before the sale. The shocking news of the sale sends global stock markets tumbling.

July 11, 2008: IndyMac, a mortgage lender that includes Countrywide Financial, collapses, and its assets are seized by the U.S. government. Although the “Mac” in the company’s name is similar to the nickname for the federal mortgage program Freddie Mac, IndyMac is a private company that specialized in subprime mortgages and other high-risk loans. In addition to financial consequences for investors, its closure resulted in more than 4,000 people losing their jobs.

September 7, 2008: The U.S. Treasury takes over management of Freddie Mac and the Federal National Mortgage Association (“Fannie Mae”). The two companies had guaranteed 80 percent of U.S. home mortgages, 30 percent of which are “underwater”—valued at less than the total mortgage loan—at the time of the takeover.

Lehman Brothers Bankruptcy

September 15, 2008: Venerable brokerage firm Lehman Brothers declares bankruptcy. It’s the largest bankruptcy case in U.S. history, involving $619 billion in debts.

September 16, 2008: The U.S. government announces plans to bail out insurance company AIG, paying $85 billion for 80 percent of the company’s assets. AIG had been considered one of the companies that was “too big to fail”—meaning its collapse would pose a threat to American financial stability.

Troubled Asset Relief Program

October 3, 2008: The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) is signed into law by President Bush. The legislation commits $700 billion in federal taxpayer funds toward the purchase of mortgage-backed securities and other assets from struggling financial institutions in an effort to restore confidence in the credit markets.

October 6-10, 2008: The Dow suffers its largest-ever weekly loss: 1,874 points. The value of U.S. stocks plunges, causing many Americans to lose savings invested in financial markets.

November, 2008: The U.S. government announces its plan to bail out Citigroup, in response to concerns that the bank lacked sufficient funds to cover its mortgage-related losses. The government essentially purchases $45 billion worth of preferred and common stock in the company, which is sold a few years later at a net gain of $12 billion.

December, 2008: Struggling automakers General Motors and Chrysler receive a combined $80.7 billion TARP funds to remain afloat and keep workers employed.

December 16, 2008: The Federal Reserve reduces short-term interest rates to 0 percent for the first time in American history. The Fed had been reducing the target interest rate incrementally (usually by a quarter- or a half-percent) since the start of the Great Recession in an attempt to boost loans for real estate sales and capital investment.

Bank Bailouts

January 16, 2009: The U.S. government bails out another bank—this time, Bank of America, to the tune of $20 billion in federal funds and $100 billion in guarantees in subprime mortgages and other toxic assets. It’s the second largest bank bailout of the recession.

February 18, 2009: Within weeks of taking office, President Barack Obama approves a $787 billion stimulus package, which includes tax cuts ($400 for individuals and $800 for couples) and money for infrastructure, schools, health care and green energy.

Dow Plunges

March 9, 2009: The “Dow” falls to its Great Recession low of 6,547 points, a drop of more than 50 percent from its all-time high set in October 2007.

June 2009: The NBER officially declares the Great Recession over, at least in the United States. However, the effects of the downturn are still being felt at home and abroad.

GM Bankruptcy

June 1, 2009: GM files for bankruptcy, announcing plans to close 14 factories, despite having received TARP funds.

October 2009: The U.S. unemployment rate hits 10 percent for the first time in a quarter century.

December 2009: Housing foreclosures in the United States reach record levels, with 2.9 million in 2009 alone.

Dodd-Frank Act

July 21, 2010: President Obama signs into law the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. The legislation is designed to restore at least some of the U.S. government’s regulatory power over the financial industry by enabling the government to assume control of banks deemed to be on the brink of financial collapse, among other provisions.

August 5, 2010: Bond rating firm Standard and Poor’s lowers the U.S. government’s credit rating from AAA to AA+ for the first time in history.

August 2, 2012: The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches a new record high of 15,658 points, indicating that investor confidence has finally recovered, more than three years after the official end of the Great Recession.

2010-2013: Several countries—Cyprus, Greece, Ireland and Spain, among others—receive billions in bailouts from the European Union after their respective national debts reached crisis levels.

<Great Recession Timeline

Speaking of the blame game, is there anyone more responsible for selling the lies of russiagate and influsing American policy towards Russia than Rachel Maddow. And in my opinion she had a major role in influencing in promoting public acceptance of aniti-Russian policy under both Trump and biden, that again in my opinion has led to the current Ukraine war

Does anyone else find something wrong with the amount of time we spend here giving our opinions of those in network news who are paid to give their opinion. We might as well change the name of this thread to “What is your opinion of network news” again, that is my opinion

okay, enough of this, back to work

Everyone have a great Tuesday

2 Likes

Compare to what Ron DeSantis is doing in Florida, Biden is not even close to being a dictator

Okay, that’s your opinion, but I disagree with you when you suggest changing the thread’s name to “What is your opinion of network news” because those networks are political networks, and you post links to those networks, as well as criticize some of them and gave your opinions about them, so they are on the table in this political opinion thread. Just because your favorite network is in the spotlight does not mean you can keep us in the dark about them.

The idea of what constitutes “news” versus opinion news or entertainment news has been blurred to the extreme.

Why do we assume networks like Fox or CNN or MSNBC or Yahoo or Forbes (the list is endless) are reporting in an unbiased manner, don’t have motives tied to shareholder demands, and are reporting unemotionally and without opinion, for the benefit the their audiences?

Getting to the truth is too much work for the individual.

News agencies and programs should be held to a higher standard.

If that can’t be met, each program should start by stating “this is our opinion, and not fact.”

3 Likes

Obviously, our opinions are biased by party lines or our own ideas of how America should be or how we perceive it

Different reports are being released, so who knows, but as I suggested earlier, I believe this to be the case, as well as what Murdoch stated in his text and on court records. he was very concern.

Rupert Murdoch himself made the decision to fire Tucker Carlson over January 6 conspiracy theories and discrimination claims: report

Fox News host Tucker Carlson on March 6, 2023, sought to discredit claims Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick’s death was linked to the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.Fox News

People familiar with the situation told Stephen Battaglio of the Los Angeles Times that Rupert Murdoch himself made the call and that he did it for two reasons.

People familiar with the situation told Stephen Battaglio of the Los Angeles Times that Rupert Murdoch himself made the call and that he did it for two reasons.

Murdoch was responding to a suit filed against Carlson and other executives by a former producer named Abby Grossberg that alleged: “a work environment that subjugates women based on vile sexist stereotypes.”

Murdoch was tired of Tucker Carlson’s conspiracy theories about the January 6, 2021 riots at the Capitol.

<Rupert Murdoch himself made the decision to fire Tucker Carlson over January 6 conspiracy theories and discrimination claims: report

I am in total agreement with you Mr. Pimpton, I would even go a step further, like on financial shows, guests must disclose if they own or are short the stock they are talking about. Let’s have that standard for every anchor and guest on these opinion-driven news programs, their party affiliation and who you voted for president in the last election should be given to us before any opinions

Speaking of opinion vs facts, The stock market certainly gave us its opinion of joe ( I don’t have dementia) biden’s reelection announcement. And those losses are not an opinion but a hard fact.

1 Like

It’s good to see you are finally interested in hard facts. We’ll talk later.

What is DeSantis doing in Florida to make him more of an Dictator than Sleepy Joe??

1 Like

The kid has awoken, wonder why?

My TZ… It’s 8.30am… I have a life… Well, sort of… I’m not fixated on this thread as much as you are…

What is DeSantis doing in Florida to make him more of a Dictator than Sleepy Joe??

Reading last nights posts… Looks like no one else agrees with your world view…

I wonder why that is? Misguided, Misinformed and deluded are roads not taken by most…

1 Like

you must think i do things for likes, as I stated you stay quiet during certain times.

Yeah, that’s it… Just because I have hundreds more likes than posts… Maybe posting intelligible, factual and informative content has it’s rewards…

You should try it… It’s good for the soul…

You had a chance to watch The Big Short, then you’ll have some idea what you’re posting about…

What is DeSantis doing in Florida to make him more of a Dictator than Sleepy Joe??

1 Like

I know you frantic and upset, so i will keep you there, the same way you remain silent and don’t not say anything, I will give you a taste of your own medicine, fair game bucko, you pop in on your own terms lol

???

1 Like

lol I’ll wait and let you drive home your points on the left, just like you do with me; I told you it’s fair game.

perhaps we ought to put likes and dislikes buttons in this thread since certain individuals want to wear that as an honorable symbol, as we as a whole know youtubers and tick tokers does stunts for likes so perhaps we can get individuals to make statements only for likes and shock value

As you can see, a trend can develop quickly based on likes rather than what people actually believe. same with youtube, facebook, tick toc and many other social media outlets