Political Opinion

you asked the question and my answer was “NO” where is the deflection

Fair Enough. If you are considering suing me, let me know.

11am here, I’ve been on the Deion Sanders hype train for a long time, and I’m looking forward to the Nebraska vs Colorado game After they beat TCU last week, the game starts at 12pm. We chat later.

1 Like

The world is too sue happy already, especially when there are deep pockets in play, Unless you are worth over a billion dollars you are pretty safe, enjoy your game

1 Like

Still think the FBI is here to protect us from the boogie man, or is the boogie man the FBI ?

In the United States, civil forfeiture (also called civil asset forfeiture or civil judicial forfeiture (Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia) is a process in which law enforcement officers take assets from people who are suspected of involvement with crime or illegal activity without necessarily charging the owners with wrongdoing.

Critics include citizens, defense attorneys, and advocates for civil rights.[14] They point to serious instances of abuse in which innocent owners have been victimized.[43] Critics are from both sides of the political spectrum, from left-leaning groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union and right-leaning groups such as The Heritage Foundation.[16] The main criticisms of civil forfeiture proceedings are as follows:

Flawed judicial process. Critics suggest that civil forfeitures are mostly "devoid of due process"

(Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia) Arguments have been made that the seizures violate the Due Process Clause of the Constitution since owners have few means to challenge the seizures.[101] They see some seizures as assaults against individual rights.[30] Critics argue that criminals are treated better in the courts than innocent owners who have property seized, since criminals are often told they have a right to an attorney, and that the beyond a reasonable doubt standard of proof is much higher in criminal trials than in civil trials.[31] Burden of proof is shifted to victims to prove innocence.[9] Victims of civil forfeiture are considered guilty until proven innocent, thereby turning the principle of innocent until proven guilty on its head.[13][30][31] Because it is part of the civil justice system, there are no attorneys provided for defendants as can happen in some criminal trials; people who can not afford an attorney have slim chances of recovering their property.[13] Most cases are never heard by a jury or judge since victims are unable to fight the seizures by hiring a lawyer.[30] In contrast to principles of open justice, seizures are often done through sealed documents with a lack of transparency.[43] Clinical law professor Louis Rulli of the University of Pennsylvania said that a piece of property does not have the same rights as a human: no right to an attorney, no presumption of innocence.[10]

It goes deeper than you think, until the supreme court makes civil forfeiture unconstitutional, you will continue to see this type of behavior.

Legal origins

Civil forfeiture in the United States has a history dating back several hundred years, with roots in British maritime law. In the mid-1600s, when what would become the United States was a British colony, the British Navigation Acts were enacted. These laws required ships importing or exporting goods from British ports to fly the British flag; ships that failed to do this could be seized regardless of whether the ship’s owner was guilty of any wrongdoing.[9] It was easier to seize a vessel than try to apprehend the owner, who may be on the other side of the ocean.[10]

During the later Colonial years, forfeiture practices by Crown officials using writs of assistance were one of the many activities that angered colonists, who saw the writs as “unreasonable searches and seizures” that deprived persons of “life, liberty, or property, without due process”.[10]

After the American Revolution, the early Congress wrote forfeiture laws based on British maritime law to help federal tax collectors collect customs duties, which financed most of the expenses of the federal government in the early days of the Republic.[9] Seizures allowed government to confiscate property from citizens who failed to pay taxes or customs duties.[8] The Supreme Court upheld these forfeiture statutes in situations where it was virtually impossible to get hold of guilty persons on the high seas while possible to get hold of their property.[9] As explained by Supreme Court justice Joseph Story

Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia

This one has me shaking my head, While I don’t know the details, I must ask what crime has been committed.

1 Like

I agree, but it could have been a video phone call, and he played with it and put the camera on it.

Nowadays, who knows.

A video of U.S. president Joe Biden from his press conference in Vietnam is now going viral…

The video shows his media briefing being cut short by the White House staff after the U.S. President started rambling and making awkward jokes. This was the first time that something like this was done by the U.S. President’s own staff. Netizens called the moment disturbing and embarrassing for a U.S. President…

“Fed up by Biden’s rambling and awkward jokes… White House Staff put an end to his Press Conference in Vietnam overnight…”

“I’m gunna go to bed…” That’s embarrassing and makes him look twice as bad as he’s been lately. He’s never front and center in a photo shoot, the Japanese and Canadian leaders beside the main person a few weeks ago. It looked like Joe was just making up the numbers. The President of the United States is supposed to be the “Leader of the Free World” Obama or Trump would have never have let that happen… FFS…

Thank you, Hindustan Times, for your honest reporting. Unheard of in the USA…

1 Like

With America’s political system being affected by advancing age, now is the time to elect a younger president and other politicians across the board.

I hope Americans can see this issue and take action by voting for younger politicians in the near future.

Electoral College Edge

Trump’s Electoral College Edge Seems to Be Fading

The early polls show Donald Trump and President Joe Biden tied nationwide. Does that mean Trump has a clear advantage in the battleground states that decide the Electoral College?

It’s a reasonable question, and one I see quite often. In his first two presidential campaigns, Trump fared far better in the battleground states than he did nationwide, allowing him to win the presidency while losing the national vote in 2016 and nearly doing it again in 2020.

But there’s a case that his Electoral College advantage has faded. In the midterm elections last fall, Democrats fared about the same in the crucial battleground states as they did nationwide. And over the last year, state polls and a compilation of New York Times/Siena College surveys have shown Biden running as well or better in the battlegrounds as nationwide, with the results by state broadly mirroring the midterms.

Trump’s Electoral College Edge Seems to Be Fading

For a brief moment we stood together as one people, one nation

May we never forget

3 Likes

It is only tragic events that bring Americans together and once the media hype is over, Americans are back to hating each other. I wish I could fix the problem, but it is deep rooted. Every now and then, outsiders continue that tradition of hate to remind us we can never love one another. Some Americans follow this outsider lead.

When an outsider cannot contribute to their own country, what value can they contribute to another country? Their only goal is to spread hate and division

And the Western World stood with you… This tragedy’s shockwave was felt around the world… Even by Outsiders

I still remember watching it unfold around 10-11pm Australian time… I continued to watch US Network coverage in horror and disbelief until 7.00am the following morning…

9/11 will never be forgotten…Ever… By those that witnessed the horror in real time…

How the world changed after 9/11 | 9 News Australia

The day the whole World changed right in front of everyone!!

Gone but never forgotten :broken_heart:

1 Like

US President Joe Biden mocked in James Bond parody… “007 License to fall’”:

Biden is more confused than a Chameleon swimming in a bowl of skittles… Imagine just how confused and ashamed the people who voted for this impotent Administration are…

We all laugh and joke but this is no joke… Whoever is letting this happen is sleep walking the west into oblivion… A National and International embarrassment…

2 Likes

American voters need to see this and vote for younger politicians.

DeSantis says Biden’s and Trump’s ages are a “legitimate concern”

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis hopes to be a younger alternative to former President Trump and President Biden. He sat down Tuesday for an interview with CBS Evening News anchor and managing editor Norah O’Donnell to discuss that and other issues. Plus, CBS News political director Fin Gómez joins “America Decides” to assess DeSantis’ presidential campaign.

DeSantis says Biden's and Trump's ages are a "legitimate concern"

McCarthy is being clowned by his own party, and some want him out, McCarthy must comply immediately with all demands

Even GOP Senators Are Clowning on McCarthy’s Biden Impeachment Inquiry

A number of Senate Republicans who spoke to The Hill on Tuesday did not mince words about the announcement, with one anonymous legislator labeling it “a fool’s errand.”

“It’s a waste of time,” that senator said, explaining that, even if the House could force through a vote to impeach Biden, the Democrat-controlled Senate would never allow it to go through.

“Maybe this is just Kevin giving people their binkie to get through the shutdown,” they speculated, referring to a looming Sept. 30 deadline to pass a continuing resolution and stop the government from grinding to a halt.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) full-throatedly criticized the choice to move forward with an inquiry. “The bar for impeachment seems to get lower and lower every year,” she said, according to Reuters. She told other reporters that the process would distract from Congress’ ability to pass the dozen-odd bills needed to avert a shutdown.

Sen. John Thune (R-SD), the minority whip, was diplomatic in his response, telling reporters that he didn’t think “it’d be advantageous if this thing went further, with all the other things we have to do.”

Other Republican senators were less than enthusiastic about possible impeachment proceedings.

“I’m not for going through another damn trial to be honest with you,” Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) told CNN on Monday.

Tuberville said he didn’t believe House Republicans had “enough time” to see an impeachment through, given that 2024 is an election year. He warned his colleagues: “You better have an ironclad case… Make sure you got what you need to have. Don’t be guessing. Don’t just be throwing mud.”

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) called the move “frustrating,” sounding resigned as she pointed out to The Hill that she hadn’t seen any actual evidence of impeachable offenses. “I’m going to default to the position that the House is going to do what the House is going to do, and we’ll have to react to that,” she said.

The mood was similarly tepid in the other congressional chamber. Even members of the far-right House Freedom Caucus, the body to which McCarthy was widely seen as capitulating in announcing the inquiry, weren’t satisfied. Mere minutes after the speaker’s announcement, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) slammed McCarthy for not having gone far enough.

“This is a baby step following weeks of pressure from House conservatives to do more. We must move faster,” he said from the House floor. Gaetz also shoehorned in a now daily threat that he would begin the process of attempting to oust McCarthy if he was not brought into “immediate total compliance” with the caucus’ demands.

Even GOP Senators Are Clowning on McCarthy’s Biden Impeachment Inquiry

1 Like

If you only listen to only one side of this narrative, you can come away with the conclusion that this is quite partisan… If you look at the other side of it, you can see that there is merit to the investigation. But, to suggest that either view is entirely unreasonable is quite a hard sell…

BTW… Why do these senators have to make excuses to these reporters? The reporters have not been elected by the people to make any judgements! They are there to report… Not push their politics!

What has happened to journalists…? Great job not letting the reporter change the narrative of the news coming out…

1 Like

I don’t get it, If they have all this evidence why haven’t they acted on it?

Kevin McCarthy directs House committees to open Biden impeachment inquiry

The inquiry will center on whether Biden benefited from his son Hunter Biden’s business dealings, among other issues, McCarthy (R-Calif.) said.

“These are allegations of abuse of power, obstruction and corruption, and warrant further investigation by the House of Representatives,” McCarthy told reporters Tuesday morning. “That’s why today I am directing our House committee to open a formal impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden. … We will go wherever the evidence takes us.”

House Republicans have not put forth evidence directly showing that Biden benefited from his son’s business dealings in Ukraine and elsewhere. They have aired allegations that the Justice Department stymied an investigation into Hunter Biden’s financial dealings along with testimony about his penchant for touting the family brand to attract clients.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/09/12/mccarthy-biden-impeachment/