Political Opinion

The Right Person, the Right Place, the Right Time

US presidents may not control the economy as much as you think

President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump will face off in the first presidential debate on Thursday, June 27. The two candidates will debate their economic agendas, but Yahoo Finance Senior Columnist Rick Newman joins Market Domination to explain how US presidents exercise less control over the economy than most people realize.

For more expert insight and the latest market action, click here to watch this full episode of Market Domination.

This post was written by Nicholas Jacobino

Video Transcript

President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump will meet for their first debate on Thursday with a focus on topics such as the economy, gas and oil prices, as well as each of their views on the rest of the world.

But after the election is over, how much control does the president actually have over these topics?

Yahoo Finance’s Rick Newman joins us now with more Rick.

How much control, Rick?

Not as much as most people think.

Uh, and you know, this is nothing new in 2024.

Presidents always say I’ll be better for the economy.

Uh, and voters more or less buy it, uh, voters.

Clearly in their minds, they associate, uh, the state of the economy and their overall sense of well being with whoever happens to be president at the time.

But there’s honestly not much any president can actually do to affect the economy.

And if you doubt it, look at inflation under Joe Biden.

If if Joe Biden had the if there were some button the president could push in the Oval Office, Biden would have pushed it.

He would have prevented inflation from hitting 9%.

Trump would have pushed it to prevent a covid recession.

Both of them would have pushed that button to keep the national debt by rising by at least $8 trillion under each president.

And every president who’s ever been in office during a recession obviously would have tried to prevent that recession.

The Federal Reserve is the most powerful financial institution in the world.

I mean, everybody on Wall Street, I think, would agree with that.

And even the Fed can’t prevent recessions, and the Fed could not prevent inflation from hitting 9%.

So it’s a little bit if you back away from it, to think that the president has all these powers he can use.

He doesn’t.

But that’s not going to change the conversation.

I mean, the president gets credit or blame for what happens in the economy, and that’s going to be the case in 2024.

Well, let’s back up a little bit, Rick, because there certainly have been a lot of folks who have argued that the immense stimulus that was pumped into the economy was a contributing factor to inflation.

So I’m putting Stimulus in a different category.

Julie, Um, 1st, 1st of all that’s in those are emergency measures.

Uh, and that’s not something the president does alone.

Uh, all of this.

Well, let’s see, we had four major, uh, fiscal stimulus bills during covid.

Three of them were bipartisan.

Uh, that, uh, got that.

Congress passed when Democrats had control of the house.

So Democrats had to vote for that bill and President Trump signed them.

And then we had 1/4 bill that was somewhat partisan.

That was Biden’s American refuge plan in 2021.

Uh, and then we had the fiscal, uh, sorry.

The Federal Reserve that did tonnes of, uh, monetary stimulus.

That was at least as important as all that fiscal stimulus.

That’s why interest rates on on mortgages went below 3%.

So I’m kind of leaving that aside because those are emergency things that tend to happen on a bipartisan basis.

Even back in 2009, during the financial crash, we had bipartisan, um, bipartisan stimulus that Congress passed.

But that’s the point, though that is bipartisan, that not something that the president can do on his own.

And when you get the whole of the government behind something, yes, that can be extremely forceful.

Uh, but that’s not something the president does on his own.

So So, Rick, you know, as you point out, if if presidents don’t have relatively too much impact and influence here, um but as you also rightfully point out, it doesn’t really matter.

They’re getting the credit of the blame either way.

So what is Biden this kind of game plan, then?

Rick, if you if you know, inflation is top of mind, Um, is he sort of handcuffed?

There is the game plan.

Basically.

OK, I’ll just I just gotta hope inflation continues to moderate into November.

Bynes game plan is to take credit for the things that are going right and blame that things are going wrong on other factors so we can break this down.

So it’s correct that Biden is right when he says we’ve had record job growth during his administration, almost 16 million new jobs.

That is not because of anything Joe Biden did.

That’s because Joe Biden came into office in 2021 just as all of these stimulus measures were gathering force and by, by the way, as usual, when we have some kind of global downturn the America sucks less.

We suck the least.

So America is the place place where everyone to be.

Everybody wants to be, whether you’re an investor or business owner or even a worker during a downturn.

So you know, United States attracts all this, and that’s why we’ve had this record job growth under Biden.

And then Biden also says, Uh, inflation predates me.

There’s a lot of truth to that as well, because the forces for inflation were basically in the pipeline when Biden took office again.

That’s all that stimulus spending.

It’s the huge shift in demand, from services to goods that happened during covid supply chain snafus and then the whips off.

In fact, as we went back to services, which is where, where all the inflation is right now, My contention is that if Trump had won a second term, we would have had about exactly the same amount of job growth and about the same amount of inflation which would have changed in area.

That’s counterfactual.

That’s we’re not going to be hearing much about that in the debate.

But Biden just has to hope that inflation comes down enough by election day and everything else.

Job growth and economic growth stay solid enough that voters start to feel a little bit better about we call the Biden economy.

Either that or everyone will read your column and they’ll realise that he doesn’t They?

Neither of them has that much control.

They have control over other stuff.

They have.

They have control over immigration regulation.

Uh, to some extent, abortion policy.

Those are things.

Yes, the president makes a difference.

What?

What?

What’s gonna happen with taxes?

That makes a difference.

But the overall economy is a beast of its own.

Rick.

Thank you.

Hi, guys.

US presidents may not control the economy as much as you think

30 years ago liberal Democrats were very anti-military, anti-war, and Pro good relations with Russia, Were did all those liberal Democrats go, they disappeared overnight

What a f-cking lie, President Trump just like every other president before him appointed judges only to replace those who had died or retired

Do you even know what “stacking the court” means, I will explain it to you, now where did I leave that box of crayons LOL

The 7 days cracked me up, that is precisely how long it took the Pigs from Animal Farm to brainwash the sheep into shanting “two legs are better than four”

1 Like

Oh my gosh, dennis, dennis, both parties pick their own when given a chance, so yes, they stack the court with their own people. It’s not just a Trump thing they all do it, Trump picked his own and transformed the nation’s judiciary into a conservative powerhouse, transforming American life for decades.

This is something you should be happy about, relax

@Xanaphlaxes, This right here was a wise move, Dennis, pay attention and relax.

Donald Trump - President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden “left me 128 judges to fill. You just don’t do that.”

President Donald Trump often celebrates the large number of judicial appointments he’s been able to make. Federal judges are lifelong appointments, and filling the district and circuit courts leaves a legacy that lasts well beyond any presidency.

In the first debate, Trump faulted President Barack Obama for giving him a golden opportunity.

“I’ll have so many judges because President Obama and (Biden) left me 128 judges to fill,” Trump said Sept. 29. “You just don’t do that.”

While Trump inflates the number, the bigger question is did Obama, and by extension Joe Biden, drop the ball on judicial appointments?

There’s broad agreement that their problem was not a lack of trying, but the power of a Republican Senate to bottle up their nominees.

“Scholars have referred to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s actions during this time as a blockade of judicial appointments,” said Michigan State political scientist Ian Ostrander. “Very few judicial nominations were successful during the 114th Congress,”

Republicans won control of the Senate in 2014. From that point on, the numbers show how hard it was for Obama to seat the people he put forward.

The bad, the good and the ugly: Obama’s judicial saga in three acts

We don’t know where Trump got his figure of 128 vacancies, but it’s wrong. The accurate number is 105. That said, the fundamental point remains the same. Obama had a hard time getting judges confirmed.

A key part of understanding judicial confirmations lies in the Senate. The Senate is the gatekeeper and, without its nod, no nomination goes through. The party that holds the Senate wields final control.

During the two years before Republicans took the Senate, Obama had a confirmation success rate of nearly 90%.

Afterward, the confirmation rate fell to 28%.

It always makes a difference when the opposing party holds the Senate in the last two years of any presidency, but Brookings governance fellow Russell Wheeler wrote that Presidents Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush faced that situation, too, and still had much higher success rates. The Senate of 2015 and 2016 was nearly impenetrable.

“The 114th Senate both confirmed far fewer judges than its recent other-party predecessors and stopped confirming them at a much earlier point,” Wheeler wrote.

FEATURED FACT-CHECK

The trajectory of confirmations passed through three phases during the Obama years.

In the first four years, while Democrats retained control, Republicans used the Senate rules to slow down the process.

Sheldon Goldman, professor emeritus at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, said geography played a big role.

“A large number of vacancies were from states with two Republican senators or one Republican and one Democrat,” Goldman explained. “Until McConnell and the Republicans upended the practice of senatorial courtesy, both senators had to sign off on the recommended judicial nominees. Republican senators did their best to delay the process. As we now know, that tactic of obstruct and delay was successful.”

Not only could individual Republicans block nominees to courts in their states, there was always the threat of a filibuster.

That lasted until 2013, when Democratic Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., invoked what is called the “nuclear option.” For district and circuit court appointments, debate was limited to 30 hours and after that, a simple majority would carry the day.

The nuclear option opened up the second phase that lasted from 2013 to 2014, when nearly 90% of nominations sailed through. Even with that, Ostrander said there was only so much Democrats could do, because of the backlog created during the previous four years.

The final phase came when Republicans won the Senate. The period wasn’t totally devoid of confirmations. But George Washington University’s Sarah Binder said those judges represented a modest victory for Obama.

“Keep in mind that Republican senators would have a decent degree of influence with the White House in recommending nominees for vacant judgeships in their red states,” Binder said.

We reached four experts in the politics of the federal judiciary. In one way or the other, they all agreed on the broad reason why Trump saw so many vacancies after he won.

“That Obama left office with so many unfilled vacancies was largely by design — by Mitch McConnell,” said the University of Vermont’s Lisa Holmes.

Trump said Obama did something wrong by leaving him 128 judgeships to fill.

The actual number is 105, but the bigger flaw in Trump’s narrative is that it ignores the successful effort of Republicans to block the people Obama put forward. That effort was somewhat effective in Obama’s first term, and became a nearly impenetrable barrier during Obama’s last two years.

PolitiFact | Fact-check: Why Barack Obama failed to fill over 100 judgeships

Why are you bitching about the left when you know that the right also plays those games?

1 Like

In the midst of Joe Biden’s time in Camp David for the past 7 days learning his lines to no doubt pre arranged questions, here’s something factual. :+1:

The Federal Election Commission (FEC) is an independent regulatory agency created by Congress in 1975 to administer and enforce the Federal Elections Campaign Act. The FEC is responsible for disclosing campaign finance information, enforcing limits and prohibitions on contributions, and overseeing the public funding of presidential elections.[

Leadership

The FEC’s leadership as of February 2024:

• Sean J. Cooksey (R) (Chair)
  • Ellen L. Weintraub (D) (Vice Chair)
  • Shana M. Broussard (D)
  • Allen Dickerson (R)
  • Dark Lindenbaum (D)
  • James “Trey” Trainor (R)

Lie. Delay. Lie. Delay. Lie. Delay. Same old same old from the same old convicted felon.

US election body gives Trump another 45 days for personal financial disclosures

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Election Commission on Tuesday granted Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump a second 45-day extension to file personal financial disclosures.

Trump had initially been due to report on his personal financial situation to the Federal Election Commission on May 15 but was granted an extension until July 1 on request.

A legal representative for the former president on Tuesday requested the agency grant the candidate another extension, citing the complexities of his financial holdings, according to a copy of the letter released by the agency.

A second letter released by the agency showed it had granted the request. “A hard copy of the report bearing Mr. Trump’s original signature is now due and should be received by the Federal Election Commission by August 15, 2024,” that letter added.

Trump’s financial disclosures are closely watched because they offer an indication of the size of his personal wealth.

US election body gives Trump another 45 days for personal financial disclosures

WOw! I’ll call BS on this.

Trump
https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments/
Trump policy encourages American businesses. We actually even had chip makers beginning to move back to the US. Energy independence while STILL meeting our Paris CLimate Agreement goals even though we were not bound to do so.

Democrats (may be Newsome or other soon and it makes absolutely no difference)

Force working class to pay for student loan debt, outsource to China through environmental deals (that end up polluting even worse), obey WEF at US expense, start wars we have to pay for, I could think of more if needed.

Democrats are also burning through our strategic oil reserves before the election to keep gas prices artificially lower than they would be.

1 Like

I on object to “packing the court”, which is a very specific tactic of changing the number of judges by law while your candidate is President. It amounts to a hostile takeover. Joe Manchin stopped it before it even started.

I never heard of stacking the courts. I’m fine with Presidents appointing judges to open positions. Its part of their job.

1 Like

Of course, that’s no problem there.

The hostile takeover, the republicans prevented Obama from picking judges, giving Trump an opportunity to stack the court with his own people.

That was a good strategy, you guys complain like kids when a Democract plays the same game, so I don’t want to hear any more complaints. Enjoy your day.

Donald Trump - President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden “left me 128 judges to fill. You just don’t do that.”

Donald Trump leaves the White House having appointed more than 200 judges to the federal bench, including nearly as many powerful federal appeals court judges in four years as Barack Obama appointed in eight

EDIT: As for as the economy, Read the headline, US presidents may not control the economy as much as you think

Putting the foundation in place

JOINT ECONOMIC COMMITTEE

About Joint Economic Committee

The Joint Economic Committee (JEC) was created when Congress passed the Employment Act of 1946. Under this Act, Congress established two advisory panels: the President’s Council of Economic Advisers (CEA) and the Joint Economic Committee. Their primary tasks are to review economic conditions and to recommend improvements in economic policy.

Chairmanship of the Committee alternates between the Senate and House every Congress.

Senate Democratic Committee Members

House Republican Committee Members

Senate Republican Committee Members

House Democratic Committee Members

About - United States Joint Economic Committee

Yes that would be better, but how about this, tonight before the first question, the moderator ( or whoever is asking the questions) must first disclose what party they are registered as, and who they voted for in the last 3 elections.

lets put the bias out front for everyone to see

Both sides get to Answer the same questions, shouldn’t be a problem answering the same questions.

I suggest each participant ask a few questions to one another, It’s easier for them to ask each other the tough questions without a moderator

You do understand that biden has been given these questions in advance, why do you think they need 7 days to drill them into his head? You are such a sheep

I believe this was suggested and rejected by biden’s handlers, they know that would not be good for their brain-dead candidate

biden will only participate in a debate ( or interview) where the questions to be asked are known in advance

And this is the man you support as having the final say over the use of our nuclear arsenal

That is a scary thought seeing all the wars that have started since he was elected

The sheep is you for making up stories.

It’s stupid to make up lies knowing that both sides prepare for a debate, then act like Trump is gonna walk into it unprepared, now that’s stupid.

It is normal for these people to make up lies

Assuming this is true and Trump is aware of it, the sheep will be trump who also agree to the terms and conditions of the debate, making him appear more stupid than I first thought.

He wanted a debate. The Dems gave the worst terms imaginable and were probably expecting him to decline. He instead accepted. We will see tonight whether or not it was a wise move. I think it is fair to say that the moderators are on Biden’s side! How mush that will matter remains to be seen. Communist News Network is extremely anti-Trump and pro-Left. This is well known. It’s all a calculated risk. I don’t know what will happen.

Me either, get your popcorn ready, to many excuses but I’m gonna rock with your answer

Yes, the headline is state propaganda in an election year. There is a yyyuge impact on the economy of Trump Admin versus Biden Admin. Of course, the President does not control everything. But, to downplay Biden’s role in tanking the Trump economy is BS.

I’d like to re-post this, since it is extremely relevant.

https://tuckercarlson.com/uncensored-the-national-security-state-the-inversion-of-democracy

Which also bring me to yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling in Murthy v. Missouri (formerly Biden v. Missouri). The court says its OK to censor US citizens through the tech companies as long as you are vague about it. :frowning: WTH? Some conservative court! Still, all hope is not lost for the 1st AMendment. We still have Kennedy v. Biden. (That’s the awesome Kennedy, btw RFK)

The way some people view things in their minds and how things actually are

This is a common tactic. Point to different economic data to show “good” or “bad” economy. Very specifically, I am saying that for the average, middle or low income American, it is much more expensive to afford necessities and this is largely (but not entirely) a result of the Biden Administrations policies. I do not argue that you can point to some positive economic data. Try going to the grocery store, or buying a house if you make under $300k a year.