Saying goodbye - why it's not worth being here

Now absolutely no one is going to believe that for a second!!! :mask: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@anon46773462
LOLā€¦and nowā€¦ Iā€™m speechless for the second time :stuck_out_tongue:

i just tried to like 10 timesā€¦ it doesnā€™t work :stuck_out_tongue:

I for one am glad that you are staying @anon81929759

I think that a lot of the issue is that the prevailing wind on here has shifted towards newer posters rather than those who have been around longer. It was a very busy site a few years ago, then I took some time away(from fora, not trading) then returned recently. It is notable that a lot of the more experienced posters have left, and that the new format makes it harder to identify those who remain. So we are left with an arena which seems more bitty, a bit more bland, and is more a collections of individual statements rather than a series of very active threads/discussions. Previously we would each tend to inhabit our own collection of threads, and largely tune out a lot of the noise. Now the classic threads have largely closed or become quiet, so a higher percentage of what remains is the newbie questions.

I think that the new format - much as I understand the reasons behind it - has moved away from appealing to experienced traders, at least that is my view and that of a few others former members I still deal with. As the newbies now form the active majority there is less established understanding of othersā€™ styles, which in turn leads to more complaining and flagging.

It makes me a little sad, but perhaps fora are on their back foot at the moment.

Anyhow, fwiw even though I donā€™t know you I have followed many of your posts and am glad that you are sticking around.

ST

1 Like

Thank you mate.

i think i would agree with a lot of this,
i was here around 7 years ago i think or thereabouts, i had the same experience.
and now when i came backā€¦ yeah. same thing

1 Like

Martin - Over the years i have read tons of stuff here on BP and it has been a huge resource of info!!! Your post probably has the the most important message in itā€¦you have to learn to trade, like ANY other job/task, you have to learn - there is a huge misconception out there that you take a strategy (usually bought for $199) and go and make millionsā€¦There is no need to leave - you are valued by the silent majority - but before you go, can you give me a rundown on what a PIP is again please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, but why are we pulling out a dictionary here, i know what THREATEN means, so do you.
and i know the context in which it was used
so i said
I HAVENā€™T THREATENED TO LEAVE
if i had to put a word to it, i would say that i PROPOSED THAT I WOULD LEAVE
or that i CONSIDERED LEAVING

but mate, whatever word tickles your fancy.

because by the same game rules, and because i disagree with your choice of words, i could say YOU ARE ASSAULTING ME
because Assault is ANYTHING THAT IS UNWANTED OR UNWELCOMEDā€¦ ok

but we are not in court and we donā€™t need to pull out dictionaries to know what we meant.
itā€™s simple

you could say, Martin you threatened to leave in the past
i could say,ā€¦ No i didnā€™t
then you could just say, then what was that thing you did
and i could tell youā€¦ i was just considering leaving or proposing that i wanted to leave but i wouldnā€™t consider it a threat

simple as that mate
be cool

and those examples
NOTICE THE USE OF THE WORD CONSIDERING as opposed to threatening

My wife does this , mate
i say something, she changes it into something else, then i have to tell her thatā€™s not what i meant.
and iā€™ll tell you
THATā€™S NOT WHAT I MEANT, it wasnā€™t a threat it was a consideration
and i considered it and i didnā€™t leave and i came to a better solution

yes and letā€™s look at that for a second shall we
Iā€™m not trying to change the world, butā€¦ UNDERSTAND THIS CLEARLY

if you say something, thenā€¦ YOU SAID IT
and YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN or MEANT at the time, thatsā€™ right isnā€™t it ?

and so do i

Now imagine you say something and someone goes and changes what you meant
DO YOU THEN CONFORM TO THEIR DEFINITION OF WHAT YOU MEANT? No, of course notā€¦ You correct them

and Iā€™m correcting you
and iā€™ve had to correct a few people , because ITā€™S WHAT I SAID, AND I KNOW WHAT I MEANT

hehe
thank you mate, Yeah, i never realized that until now.
Mateā€¦ Look
iā€™m going to use this english language tool in any way i see fit ā€¦ ok
iā€™m going to say things as i deem them appropriate, now IF YOU TAKE THEM THE WRONG WAY, thatā€™s your fault
and there is a solution, i can just say to you politely, THATSā€™ NOT WHAT I MEANT

you then have 2 choices
You can accept what iā€™m saying and make the adjustments to your train of thought with respect to what i said
or
you can choose to believe that you are right and what i said is wrong even though i said it.

like you said mate
YOU CANā€™T CHANGE THE WORLD
i can only tell you what i mean
what you do beyond that is up to you

mate, what in gods name are you on about
okā€¦ WE ARE TALKING HEREā€¦ ok
it really is as simple as that

i said something
you misinterpreted
i correct

simple
we are not wielding Excalibur her , nor do we have to use words like doth or thou art and be ever so poetic.
at this point i really feel we are going in ridiculous directions, i mean all you have to do is understand that you took what i said to a different level of context and gave it an elevated meaning when thatā€™s not how i meant it

mate, Just understand this is simple
i didnā€™t mean it that wayā€¦ thatā€™s all

now this is a valid pointā€¦

ok fair enough, i have no arguments on this point and iā€™ll pay attention to it

but you do me a favour as well, ok
When i say to you , i didnā€™t meant it like thatā€¦ACCEPT WHAT Iā€™M SAYINGā€¦ ok
life will also be simpler if you do that

ok mate
be cool ok

you didnā€™t offend me

and i do understand people like you and short attention spans and all.
i mean, i speak to @_bob and bob has admitted that he has a short attention span, and thatā€™s fine

and when i speak to him i need to focus on keeping things short, thatā€™s ok i get it.
but why come on say TLDR, whatā€™s the point

this post is also a bit of a unique post, itā€™s not like we are discussing an instrument or something.
is this a RANT postā€¦ Yeah, ok, i guess you could consider it that, but it has a message to deliver to newbies as well, and seriously mate, itā€™s worth a read, i mean we get so much crap on this site from newbies and repetetive rubbish thatā€™s itā€™s not funny.
the fact that i was considering leaving should be a sign of that
this post should be a lesson, not a rant.

but like i said, i understand you, you believe that youā€™ll scan through something and if there is nothing of value to you or if itā€™s too long or long winded you wonā€™t read itā€¦ AND THATā€™S FINE.

but why post TLDR whatā€™s the point, unless your actually trying to ascert superiority

you didnā€™t offend me , nor did i try to offend you , but i did try to make a very clear point and that was, actually 2 points, and that was

• there is no point posting TLDR, no one cares if itā€™s too long for youā€¦ just donā€™t read it

• having a short attention span is going to limit you , especially in forex

but, iā€™m not offended mate
be cool

Topics 8 Posts 1.3k Likes 357please read to the end before making any comments I have never posted here before and I am definitely a newbie. When someone tells me they have a dumb question to ask, I always tell them the only dumb question is the one you donā€™t ask.On the other hand, I am not a parrot and I donā€™t like repeating my self just to hear me speak. Look it up, do the research, then ask your question. I constantly use the glossary to find things I donā€™t know.( i have it book marked in my favorites) I have a suggestion.Under each name are balloons with post info. How about one that shows how far someone is in pipschool? then you would know if a newbie is serious or lazy. Also you can refer(or link) them to previous posts. I have not been here long enough to like or dislike anyone but I get lots of useful information from all. Even the dumb ones about pips. ( I looked it up). Martin_k Do what makes you happy. answer questions when you feel like and let the mods do their job and worry about the stupid stuff.

1 Like

@neil001
hehe

Use the Search Bar :stuck_out_tongue:

and i agree, explain to anyone what a pip is any day of the week,
but if the person asks that question over and over and over and another 100 times over, it then becomes something beyond ā€œThere are no stupid questionsā€

if we look at when the term ā€œthere are no stupid questionsā€ came about and who said it, you would go back to a time when people were not as lazy as today and when DOING RESEARCH was a given

so yes. ON THAT CONDITION, there are no stupid questions
but in todayā€™s day, and of all things , when information is at your fingertips, it would seem that people canā€™t even be bothered to type something into a search bar

BACK IN MY DAY, YOU TOOK A 15MIN WALK TO THE LIBRARY,
YOU THEN HAD TO SEARCH FOR YOUR BOOK
YOU THEN HAD TO READ THE WHOLE BOOK

BASICALLY, YOU PUT IN EFFORT

these days with indexing and all , people canā€™t even be bothered
well thenā€¦ Why should i be bothered

simple as that

1 Like

I agree 100%. But donā€™t let the lazy ruin it for those who arenā€™t. My father always yelled at us " donā€™t be a moron, go look it up". I did, and I do. Others need to also. Then ask. Being that you have more experience and knowledge, please remember that what may be a repetitive question might just be a new newbie that has not seen that question asked before. Hence the referring someone to previous posts.

2 Likes

P.S. I cleaned part of that up. My father wasnā€™t that polite

2 Likes

@flieslow
ohā€¦ 100% no question about it
i am always aware of this

but you answer a few questionsā€¦ right !
and then you can tell they donā€™t even bother to research, instead, they latch onto you as a source of information so they DONā€™T HAVE TO RESEARCH

but i understand what yourā€™e saying.

@flieslow
heheā€¦ appreciate it
Neither was mine, and i think anyone from our generation KNOWS ALL TOO WELL :stuck_out_tongue: how it really was with our dads.
i mean if your dad said only this
he would have been outcast by the other dads and called a fairy for not going off at his son hehe
Ainā€™t it the truth, When a man was a man, and when his son stuff up he got a hiding so that he never did it again :stuck_out_tongue:

but i guess saying what your dad really said would get you moderated hehe

NEWSFLASH FOR THE MILLENIALS

IN OUR DAY THERE WAS NO MODERATION
AND IT DIDNā€™T MATTER IF THE POLICE EXISTED, YOU MOM AND DAD WERE THE POLICE
they could basically do whatever they wanted and the cops agreed with them hehe

THERE WAS NO MODERATION
No @Pipstradamus do say AHEMā€¦ MR FLIESLOW Iā€™D LIKE YOU TO TONE DOWN THE OVERALL TONE hehe
I HAVE MODERATED YOUR RESPONSE TO YOUR SON BECAUSE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY HAVE FOUND IT TO BE OFFENSIVE :stuck_out_tongue:
could you imagine ?

K, do they serve Bookers Bourbon at the Search Bar

The Ever Sippin VIPER

@TradeViper
No mate, only Makers Mark :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s just an expression mate! :unamused:

Good advice. :point_up_2:

Iā€™m finding this hard to believe.

Anyway bud, I wanna be absolutely honest on why Iā€™m turned off by this post and since you continue to reply to me with more explanations and/or questions. Call it a ā€œrantā€ of my own I suppose. :wink:

This post is unnecessary.

1. I understand your motive with this post. You are informing noobs to perform their own research, to be respectful, not to hate when a statement is not in their favor, and to stop trying to get hand fed by experienced traders. Experienced traders here are willing to help but will not cater to every single need/question.

All this should be obvious, and even I expect noobs to know thisā€¦ but, as I stated before, these actions by noobs will continue; forever. Itā€™s Internet Forums 101.

2. I read the whole original post before I made this reply. The points you make are repetitive in a rant fashion which is what was noticed when I scanned through it the first time.

Itā€™s very negative and your statements often belittle ā€œothersā€ which contributes to your post being unhelpful. I doubt moderators care for this post, but I donā€™t see anything that goes against the forum rules. It is bad enough for someone (like me) to ā€œoffer adviseā€.

3. You are descriptively and emotionally sensitive to what others say or do which is likely the reason you are expressing your irritation in a post for all to see instead of just the helpful content. Stuff like this causes a reaction that can do more harm than good.

I presume you may dispute this, but if you can makes assumptions on me and with all ā€œnewbiesā€, others (me) can too.

Thereā€™s more, but Iā€™ve given more than enough time to this reply than Iā€™m willing to offer.

Final note

It is what it is mate!

That may sound cliche, but it fits. Provide the helpful content (or not); leave out the rant. Iā€™ve given my explanation. I hope we can move past this. Iā€™m not interested in a debate. :v:

2 Likes

@taikun
thatā€™s right, itā€™s an expression that says to everyone
Iā€™M TOO LAZY TO READ WHAT YOU TYPED BECAUSE IN MY OPINION ITā€™S TOO LONG

and my response wasā€¦
Why bother telling usā€¦ Just donā€™t read it and donā€™t post TLDRā€¦ simple

ok, thereā€™s not a lot i can do if you find it hard to believe me,
i can merely just accept your opinion.

hell yeah it should beā€¦ but itā€™s not , but SOME NEWBIES do get itā€¦ if given a push in the right direction.
itā€™s also not fair to give up on the few hopefuls just because the majority are lost.

yeah okā€¦
my intention is to give advice and sometimes to be helpful by giving a good push,
now. sometimes that push comes across as rudenessā€¦ i canā€™t help that
I WILL HOWEVER BE MINDFUL OF ITā€¦ OK
thank you

Noā€¦ Emotionally sensitiveā€¦ Noā€¦ Not even close,
i donā€™t invest myself emotionally into newbies, i donā€™t know them, why i invest myself emotionally

but thenā€¦ you seeā€¦ you did say thisā€¦ right ?

Now given that
we are no in a situation where, if i continue to tell you itsā€™ not true (Even though you donā€™t believe me hehe)
i come across as being IN DENIAL
so, thereā€™ s no point trying to
all i can tell you is ā€¦ Iā€™m not emotionally invested in them and iā€™m not offended by any of this,
BEYOND THAT, YOU DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONSā€¦ false or otherwise

i do try to be sensitive towards them when responding, but ONLY WHEN ITā€™S NECESSARY.
so if someone has been ripped off by a broker, ok, iā€™ll try and help

but if someone saysā€¦ Please Please i donā€™t get it, what is a pip, Please help, i need to know this.
NOā€¦ NO SENSITIVITY HEREā€¦ A GOOD KICK UP THE REAR END AND USE THE EDUCATION TAB. but no sensitivity
because, iā€™m not going to promote laziness
and if a person takes my comment of ā€¦ go away and researchā€¦ as Anger hehe (mate, i canā€™t control that) i can just tell them i was not angryā€¦ thatā€™s it

My posts are descriptive though, i will admit that. fair enough and sometimes its too muchā€¦ i will admit this
i am working on that,
but, itā€™s not emotionalā€¦ definitely Not.

hehe
Neither am i mate
but you seem insitant on proving that iā€™m upset

the part that i find funny is thisā€¦
LETā€™S SAY Iā€™M LYING AND LETā€™S SAY I AM UPSET AND YOU UNCOVER THATā€¦ WHAT THEN ? :stuck_out_tongue:
SEE WHAT I MEANā€¦ THEREā€™S NO POINT

what are you gonna doā€¦ A victory dance because you uncovered my sensitivy hehe
itsā€™ a pointless conversation
take it as you like
like you said
IT IS WHAT IT ISā€¦ Iā€™m happy to leave it there if you like.
be cool

in other wordsā€¦ an ā€œassumptionā€

:joy::+1: