Scalping strategy to finish the year strong

@Art_prentice

I did some research and the trader is Shawn Lucas (Traderonthe street).
There are some YT videos.

2 Likes

Looking at the week so far.

256 pips earned. No losses. All but 1 trade has been counter trade with what I am now calling profit averaging instead of cost averaging.

Just concluded a 2 hour buy trade on Eur/Usd,

I hope to get another 250 pips by end of the month.

2 Likes

@s22d

Everyday when I look at that euro/usd chart going down my heart breaks a little bit for you brother. Itā€™s been a long wait but itā€™s almost time for that thing to reverse.

Keep in good spirits. Good times are coming.

1 Like

They just said on Bloomberg earlier that they canā€™t understand why the dollar is strengthening with a possible debt default on the cards? Very strange, but all I can think of is that people are cashing out of stocks just in case there is one and putting it in the dollar?

Think about if you had say a few million in stocks, would you want to risk it?

3 Likes

@rocktrucker
It turns out that earning 8% on a simple savings account when I was a kid was one of the greatest investments of all time. Who knew?

3 Likes

Nobody believes the debt ceiling wonā€™t be increased, because thatā€™d screw the economy too much.

Things are following the historic pattern after global negative events.

Rush to buy dollar, gold and other safe havens. Stocks go down.
Dollar weakens as panic abates, things vs Dollar all go up.
Dollar recovers back to where it was and things vs Dollar go down. Sell-off of other safe havens and stocks go up

@chesterjohn

Yep. Thatā€™s a life lesson that I see play out in the trading charts everyday. Things always go in the cycle of up or down with a pullback. People act like this is some kind of mysterious, unknowable truth. It makes predictions be true or false depending on how long range the prediction is. Economist trying to forecast something for next week are often and wrong but if you give it a year and a week they may be right.

To me, itā€™s the same as looking at a 5-minute chart and seeing a downtrend and then going to the one hour and seeing an uptrend.

@AmericanTrader

It is a pain in the a** now. My heart has already sunk so much, it canā€™t sink anymore so I just look the chart and go meh.

If a new entry criteria is fulfilled, like it did this morning when 9ema went below my last entry level, I add another predefined position to the trade.

Previously Iā€™ve been adding to position at preset intervals like 20-30 pips. Now, Iā€™ve realized if you just wait and let 9 ema get below your last entry, you can catch a better level in most of the cases.

But thank you for remembering me and my silly Eurusd trade.

After this, Iā€™m done with higher timeframes :sleeping:

1 Like

Iā€™m talking about things over many months or years, that you can see in the charts when similar events occurred, but I guess the principle is the same. Iā€™ve been expecting USD to come strong for a couple of months, just been waiting for the signs that it turned, which it now has.

Hit another big win on gold today. May has been a very good month.

1 Like

Trading it on the longer time frames is dangerous. A good entry is more important. Iā€™d only trade it pro trend on the higher timeframes. Wait for the pullback and then go. Youā€™ll get a really high win rate and catch big moves doing that. Counter trend is dangerous, kof doesnā€™t say to trade counter trend, although he uses cost averaging to win even if he gets a bad entry

2 Likes

(TLDR at the end)

Hi everyone. I havenā€™t been posting lately, but Iā€™ve been following everyoneā€™s experiences these last few weeks. The reason Iā€™ve been silent, is I finally took a trade I couldnā€™t average out of, and I took a big loss. I didnā€™t blow the account, because I put a hard stop at a key resistance level on the 4-hour chart. Still, it was enough of a loss that I needed to step back, get back on demo, and evaluate how I was going to proceed.

After I went back to my demo account, I started using hard stop losses again. It led to ā€œdeath by a thousand cutsā€ and I wasnā€™t profitable. I realized that KoFā€™s style was the closest I came to being consistently profitableā€¦except for my big losing trade. So I ditched hard stops again, and started re-examining the cost averaging method. Iā€™ve adjusted how I apply the KoF strategy and Iā€™ve had much better, and more stress-free, results. Thereā€™s different ways to approach trading, but Iā€™d like to share my conclusions after what Iā€™ve experienced.

The ā€œride-or-dieā€ method of holding onto a trade and never accepting a loss was a lot of funā€¦until it wasnā€™t.

This was my experience when I had open trades that were going against me. Even if they eventually went into profit, my wife noticed how much it affected my mood and peace of mind. So Iā€™ve decided that Iā€™d rather take a small loss than get stuck counter-trading a tough trend. My peace and happiness is more important.

Now letā€™s talk about profits. If youā€™re stuck in a trade for hours or even days, youā€™re not free to trade other setups. So even if your multi-day trade ends in profit, was the profit enough to make up for the opportunity cost of not being able to trade for several days? I ran the numbers and, in my case a least, it wasnā€™t. I made more profits when I strung together a lot of small quick wins during my trading sessions.

To prevent getting stuck in a trend, I close the trade at a loss if it doesnā€™t go back to the EMAs within a certain amount of time. Sometimes itā€™s a bigger loss than my average win. But hereā€™s the thing, KoFā€™s style is basically mean reversion. And mean reversion strategies usually have high win rates but losses are bigger. (Trend following tends to be the opposite) So expect long win streaks, but bigger loses with this strategy. And thatā€™s okay. As long as the win rate and R:R ratio works out, itā€™s still a very profitable strategy.

Now, since Iā€™m getting out of tough trends sooner, I donā€™t have to worry as much about keeping enough margin in the tank to be able to average my way out of a tough trend. So Iā€™m using slightly larger lot sizes, so my small wins are a little bigger. When you plan to get stuck in a tough trend, you have to keep your orders very small. That means your quick in-and-out trades are won with very small orders that donā€™t affect your account much. (Look at account % growth. A PIP count doesnā€™t tell the whole story)

TLDR: One day a trend will come that you wonā€™t be able to average out of. Decide now how youā€™re going to handle it and at what point youā€™ll cut it loose. If they come seldom enough, youā€™ll still be profitable while taking an occasional heavy loss. I foolishly began to see KoF as a ā€œcanā€™t loseā€ situation. Donā€™t make my mistake. Proceed with your eyes wide open and have a plan to control your losses.

Happy trading everyone! :grinning:

4 Likes

@SurprisedMoose
Good post, moose.

I advise the stop loss in case of catastrophic situations. The trade I got stuck in for 5 days was meant to be trading with the trend. I didnā€™t put a stop loss in when price went against me and I thought I could counter trend my way out of it. Thankfully I did, but that was a big part of the learning experience which I am so glad I went through.

I stayed in because it was clear that there was a high probability based on the hourly and daily charts the price would eventually go my way. Without that, I would have been very foolish to hang on to that trade.

The counter trend thing comes from forex factory, not kof. He says to trade with the trend. The return to EMA is for ranging markets. Cost averaging is for when it goes against you, but you need to be able to read the charts and understand candlestick patterns to trade this properly.

The 1% strategy is more rules based so better for less experienced or more structured traders.

Iā€™ve backtested the counter trend thing from forex factory and it loses money long term. Thatā€™s maybe because my EA doesnā€™t know when news happens, but it runs well for weeks and then one big loss takes it all away. I didnā€™t look into what happened on those days, just that it isnā€™t suitable to run full time

2 Likes

Look at the charts and see what would have happened if you only counter-traded when RSI was overbought or oversold. It eliminates a lot of tough trends. Thereā€™s still times when it can stay overbought or oversold for a while and youā€™ll get stuck. But it does a good job of filtering setups. When a trend develops, I place an entry at each pull back and close when the trend weakens or I see a divergence on the RSI. Itā€™s tricky to get into a trend where you can average up. But when you do, itā€™s fun and the profits make it worth it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading through that thread as well. Thereā€™s some good information. A few of them try to be more precise in their entries, use larger lot sizes, but will only place around three order before cutting it loose. Lately, my trades turn in my favor within three or four entries. If they donā€™t by then, I close it and enter with the trend.

Yea canā€™t wrap my head around that either.

Where did everyone go? :thinking:

1 Like

@s22d

I had a decent trading day yesterday.
Today, for some reason, my trading platform is not responsive. The connection is like 2971/2.

1 Like

@AmericanTrader

Really glad to hear that man. Hope your trading platform gets sorted soon.

For me, Iā€™m still sitting on my eurusd trade. Not a pair to trade on higher timeframe, moves way less and takes too much time for trades to conclude :rage:

2 Likes

@s22d

You have clearly been masterful in handling your margin. I still think there will be a time when I use higher timeframes and just look at what I make a year based on trades that close every few weeks, or even months.

Then there would be no such thing as being stuck in a trade.

But I have a lot of account building before that time comes.