Sunday Breakout Strategy

It’s a simple change that you can do it yourself.

Yeah, I’m with you guys. No trade this week… Something made the Sunday candle way too big.

I had the EA running and wasn’t home so I just noticed. The EA did trigger the GBP/USD short trade, but I closed it out for -2 pips loss. No big deal. :smiley:

And the latest version of your EA worked perfectly, s05! :slight_smile:

Ya, I guess some brokers are not really set up for EA’s. I am using Forex and have asked them about using EA’s and they have said it is not an issue with them.

hahaha!! thanks, and finally it works!!! hahahah!!

[B][U]Line Reactor.zip[/B][/U]

• maybe its a myth that the price will react when its nearing those 1.4500 or 135.00 mark; anyways, this is a simple indicator that reminds you action might take place around those marks!

http://forums.babypips.com/133505-post986.html

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your staretgy and the recap. As you’ve pointed out, this thread has hundreds of pages, I 'll need some time to go thru it.

Meanwhile, may I ask, how do you calculate the average of the weekly ATR(14)?
Maybe you can show some example?

Thanks

You don’t have to calculate the average. The ATR is the average. In fact, the “A” in ATR stands for “average.” :slight_smile:

Just put an ATR indicator on a weekly chart and set it to 14 periods. The number you get is the number you should use. Do keep in mind the answer will be in decimal form on some indicators though, so if the ATR is .0250 that means 250 pips.

Thanks Phil.

So the ATR will be the final ATR shown for the final 4 hours of friday trading.

From my MT4, the ATR was 0.0094 at the final 4 hrs of 28Sept09 (GBPUSD).
It means my TP should be 94pips.

However, the high for that 4 hrs was 1.5978 and low was 1.5800. So my SL=178

The SL > TP. How to overcome that?

Also i notice you’ve mentioned win trades is less than loss ratio (based on no. of trades).

You have to be looking at the ATR on a weekly chart, 94 pips is the 4 hour ATR, not the weekly ATR.

This week had an unusually large Sunday candle, so we didn’t trade this week. That’s the first time this has happened so far this year, so it’s not a normal occurrence. The TP is usually 3x or more the SL. If you’re trying to learn how the system works then ignore this week. :slight_smile:

The system only has somewhere around a 25% win rate, so you will lose 3 out of every 4 trades, but the winners are huge and the losers are small, so you make money in the long-term.

Is anyone trading this strategy and ONLY this strategy?

Could someone check the zip file on the first post for me? Someone said it won’t open for them, yet it opens fine for me.

I’m just trying to narrow down the problem… :slight_smile:

What’s the difference between the Average True Range and Average Daily Range?..I mean besides the daily part…lol.

Like if you set your period on the ATR indicator to reflect a daily segment for whatever t/f you’re on ie on an hourly chart set it to 24, or on a daily set it to 1…will they give you about the same value? I think I tried it and it didn’t, but I don’t understand why.

Nope I can’t open it either. It says it appears it’s not a valid archive.

As I remember it, the difference between ADR and ATR is that ADR doesn’t take gaps into account while ATR does.

Yeah, but that’s just a byproduct of the formula, not the main reason you would use one over the other.

ATR is like an EMA. It’s weighted to give preference to the most current days (or if not days whatever timeframe you have it on).

I’m not an ADR expert, but I believe it is simply an average with no extra filters thrown it.

I don’t use ATR over ADR for any in-depth technical reason… I use it because MT4 doesn’t have an ADR indicator built in. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sweet Pip. Now that I know it’s broken I’ll see if I can get it fixed.

452 views since I last updated it and no one mentioned it was broken until now. :smiley:

Downloads and the Excel spreadsheet opens for me on Vista…

Hmm… must only be certain zip programs that are not working. I’ll get it figured out eventually.

If Babypips would let us attach spreadsheet files and MT4 indicators directly, like Forex Factory does, this wouldn’t be a problem (hint, hint admins). :slight_smile:

I wonder if there is a filebucket.com or equivalent that would host the files for you and you could just post links to them…?

So for the trade I should look at 4hour chart. But for ATR I should look weekly chart.

Also for it to work, the TP (i.e. ATR amount) must be at least 3X larger than SL (length of candle body), since 3/4 times its a lost. I think should be 4X, since 3X only breakeven. In this case if the weekly ATR is not at least 3X/4X larger than the 4H candle body, i shouldn’t trade.

Am i right?

I do agree it’s a simple strategy, but a whole lots of patience is tested here.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your clarification.
I’m gona test my patience on coming trades. Will test it on a few majors too.