Supply/Demand, VSA, Wyckoff with Petefader

The MA’s can be used as a bit of a guide at times for resistance/support areas. Also may help if a bit confused in the trend direction, although I normally work out trend by asking if there are higher highs and higher lows (uptrend) or lower highs and lower lows (down trend).
You will find quite often that price will bounce off the MA’s.
Some people have used the dotted ones to assist entry by having it change colour, seeing an NS/ND confirmation in the right direction and entering. I don’t do that though. I like to see the more traditional entries.

3 more days of finals and im done with this semester. then i can focus all my time on trading, vsa, and my bank account :35:

Hi pete,
Just found out about vsa. Do you still have your skype group running? would love to join in.

Jack

Hi Jack, yes I do. I don’t think the latest babypips rule changes allow me give out skype contact info though.

Hey guys, happy new year! I’m back after a nice break. :slight_smile: Took A/U short today anticipating that FOMC would bring it down. Setup is clear, hopefully you can spot it.

Ok. too bad as im on skype most time. How come im not allowed to pm you either?

I’m guessing it’s because you haven’t made the minimum amount of posts needed before you can start PMing here. As far as my skype name, it’s the most obvious thing you can think of lol.

That goes for my XBOX live name as well…COD/Halo4 anyone? I pwn :stuck_out_tongue:

bummer! Thanks for the hint. lol. u still trade using vsa? I find it useful and fun!! :slight_smile:

Hey I’m taking you up on that Xbox live Pete :smiley: I’m not to bad myself…

Hey Pete, how did you know not to take a short on the first Climactic Action and instead wait for the second/false break? I find sometimes the reversal on the hourly is only 2 bars and the automatic rally can only been seen on the 5min across those 2 hours and then price falls. So what was ‘wrong’ with the first top to tip you off that a second top would form one the hourly?

Hi Monkeyzu,
Hope you don’t mind me putting in my opinion :slight_smile: I think it is a bit to do with the background there. The 2nd 1hr candle after week open was on pretty high volume, but it kept moving up which in itself was not a sign of weakness, so Pete would have wanted to see weakness to the left before shorting. By the time the 2nd top came, it represented a “double top” pattern which indicates an amount of weakness. Also, with waiting for the second top, you can see the Automatic Decline (or whatever you’d like to call the opposite of Automatic Rally) level and have that marked ready for a push through that level, which would indicate an entry.
Here was a screenshot of my 1hr prior to entry - ignore writing at top of chart as it was for the 5min chart.

Here was the 5min in anticipation of a possible trade. See how I marked the Automatic Support level which was a nice confluence with previous resistance - then identified the possible entry point

And then what happened with the trade :slight_smile:

Unfortunately for me, just before it took off, I closed out as it was 3am local and I went to bed and do not like leaving trades open. Took a small profit, but a few others I know made very nice money off this one.

I hope that helps you :slight_smile:

Oh, looking at the post, it looks like the charts aren’t too clear. Here are the screenshots on jing

1hr 2013-01-04_0311 - stewartk’s library
5 min initial 2013-01-04_0312 - stewartk’s library
5 min finish 2013-01-04_1347 - stewartk’s library

:cool:

I just didn’t trade that day (Monday Jan. 2nd). I figured I’d wait until Tuesday so there is some real activity to the left after the holiday. I do allow for the fake break when placing my stop (unless it’s a very large pip amount) but looking back I might have shorted, took some profit and had the rest hit BE, hard to say…and I didn’t actually look at so closely to consider entry…so assuming it’s all good.

edit: I just realized Tassie answered you…thanks Tassie. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! I am still testing my strategies- learned the importance of volumne and phases. Great! Builds my confidence level when I can read my charts in more detail. I look forward to learning more.

Hey Pete,

Been following your thread and using VSA in forex for about a year now (adapted from using it in stocks). Coupled with technical analysis (i.e. S/R levels, fibs, correlation with other CP’s, etc.) it is unbeatable as a complete trading strategy.

I agree spot activity volume is useful however there is great variation from one broker to another. For example I have found FXCM activity volume to be very unreliable; IBFX is very reliable.

What is your course of action if the volume feed from IBFX was to go down permanently for whatever reason, whether they get acquired by another broker, go out of business, etc. - From your experience, what other brokers offer reliable volume data?

Thank you in advance!

Working with the hours I have to trade, I put this on before bed last night (too old for all nighters now lol). Also weakness was to the left from Friday in this area. Often Aisa will show SM positioning for the day and give me that “make money while you sleep” trade lol.

It’s been so long since I’ve looked at other brokers volume that I would have to take a fresh look and compare. Things can change over time. I used to use ODL for volume…loved it, and they were bought up by FXCM and it all went to hell lol.

I tested a lot and found IBFX and Gotrader to be the best. Gotrader was having issues with missing price data for a while so I ended up permanently with IBFX…I hope!

I hope IBFX remains reliable as well; I have compared IBFX to ECN sources, correlation is indeed high.

In the meantime here is an interesting article on “price updates”, more commonly known as “tick volume”.

http://www.marneycapital.com/Articles_files/FX%20Trader%20Q2%202011.pdf

I noticed recurring heated discussions on VSA in Forex so I thought this would help; it’s always better to present your point when you have a statistically sound study to back your assertions!

I guess I should contribute by posting a chart as well; interesting how different people using the same information could interpret - and thus trade so differently.

It appears I cannot attach pic’s yet, but I went long GU @ 1.6038 @ 1515 GMT time. I did not wait for a push/test or NS, so slightly more aggressive entry, however confluence was behind it. I did use EG 5-Min high volume bars around the same time for confluence and timing the trade as well. I’ll try to contribute by posting charts when I can.