TCP - The car pub

LOL! I might become jealous regarding your imagination. Or is this just ignited by smoke blown up “through” you? :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

No, this is a crazy but not insane little bar. So, letz better stop here, lol.

Better look for your pc’s cpu and speed! In the device manager! Hardware! :22:

LOL. Thanks for clarification.

So we were in the same age, but your car was older than mine at this time.

It was not all bad news, though - I had not realized how down on power that car was until I had the new engine in it; it was a completely standard 1300 (1285 in fact, I think) yet felt like a drag racer compared with the old unit lol.

Yes that 1300 was standard imho that time. Anyhow, mine was running like a Ferrari before and after, lol. I mean at least it was my imagination in relation to a bike, what was the only choice before, lol.

I had an issue with the “new” engine, though. As it was not new but used and we got it from a used parts dealer. I was more a noob that time regarding car technics. When we got the engine I asked if those holes in the oil lines between the head and the block were a problem. The dealer said no. So I believed in this. When I drove around in the city it was indeed no problem. Albeit if I went for a long distance trip it gave proof his advice was wrong as trading is easy. :smiley: Every 50 kilometers I had to fill up with 1 liter of oil, because it was leaking through these defect lines.

As I said I was a car noob this time, but when I arrived at my destination then my excellent memory saved me a lot of money. Asking at a garage what would it take to repair it, they told me the engine would have to be completely disassembled to change the lines. Cost: 1000 DM.

Well, I recalled from a car magazine that there was a new invention. Lines what could you buy which would be flexible and so you would avoid disassembling the engine, what was the expensive part. I asked them there at the garage and they said they didn’t know anything about those new lines. Well, then I tried it at the parts dealer and they had it. So at all I just spend under 200 DM and had new lines and all was back running. :slight_smile:

Hilarious what they try. I once wanted a high compression cylinder head for my car, I contacted one supplier for a quote. They offered to fit it for me, but wanted just under £2000 for the job as they claimed that the engine would have to come out! Needless to say I went elsewhere, and fitted the cylinder head I eventually purchased myself… without removing the engine from the car. Some of these garages really try it on.

Yes they do. UK seems to be even more hilarious. 2000 pound. :eek:

Then it can be even worse. Several checks of car magazines brought to light that some even don’t do anything if you bring your car for service. They just take the cash. Or others change parts which are completely okay. And so on. One time I had my truck in a garage and they did what? Break the tip of a wheel bolt. I am still wondering how they did it. Plus they pulled off the cap of the brake liquid canister.

That’s the reason I do it either at a very close friends garage or still myself. Plus then even if they do it right it takes my breath away with todays prices. I changed all the brakes at my Jeep on one axle. Best of what you can get today with drilled holes in the disks, new calipers and ceramic pads and everything and for the whole axle 200 bucks. Via Ebay. 2 hours of work and that’s it. If I had it brought to the garage it would cost 5 times more. Plus then I had to wait a couple of hours there anyways. Plus then probably drive again to it to let fix what they did wrong, lol. That’s more time plus money invested and my trust in it would like in a signal provider in fx. :wink:

SSsssshhhhhh! Don’t tell anyone !

OK Buckscoder

PC details are as follows.

Dell Optiplex GX520
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz 504 MB of RAM

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Disk Capacity 37Gb

Worth saving or do I just set fire to it now ?

If you are planing to use it as nothing else but a trading machine than it might run for another year or two.

Anything else and its on the verge of dying off. You can still browse and run some graphics that you find online but it will be very slow.

If you want to just run it as a trading station, than I would suggest you just reformat the entire hard disk and re install windows XP without any of the bells and whistles.

Make it a point not to download or save anything from the internet and you can even run without an antivirus.

Plenty of everything what you need with say a metatrader plus a browser the same time. Now, then throw that viurs away. I mean that xp. :stuck_out_tongue:

No seriously, that’s well enough. My former laptop had less hardware and everything fine.

So then you have to find out where the brake is sitting. Maybe the disk. RAM should be enough imho for just one or two apps. Defragmentation etc. wouldn’t harm. :slight_smile:

To be honest Niki, if it gets any slower, it will stop all together. May well just buy a new tower ( as I have this monitor anyway ) All I want it for is for my trading station, ( but I do download stuff ) and my little one uses it for the Disney web site.

You would laugh if I showed you my current “trading station”. Believe it or not, I do all of my trading from a small samsung netbook with a 9 inch screen. My oldest daughter has a large touchscreen pc in her room, but it would appear that facebook and MSN are way much more important than my FX, so I don’t get to use that much, (only when she’s out)

I reckon a new tower is the option for me. I have this little netbook if I ever need to go “portable”.

Thanks Niki

Whats everyone is saying is completely correct. Those specs are good enough for the internet and MT4.

Try that program I recommended earlier. I use it all the time on other peoples computers I work on and it makes them run like brand new machines. Also, if you can, take the panel off the side of the tower and blow out the dust with an air hose (if this was never done before it will be pretty nasty) sometimes computers will run slow just because there is too much dust inside and causing things to overheat.

P.S. If you don’t want to do the program follow the steps on here Computer running slow? it’s basically what the program does anyways. just manually

a guy who likes computers

Does the bluetooth router connection contribute anything to how slow it’s running or does that make no difference ?

Thanks teb

I’ll give the programme a go tomorrow when I get some free time and let you know how it gets on. As I said earlier, I do use the pc for other things (dubious downloads of films, NOT to be confused with download of dubious films !! ) But all simple things, Trading platform and Disney site are the main requirements.

Thanks again

HoG

Only what goes through your bt connection. The data is for sure slower than anything like a real lan connection or wifi. So, browsing is maybe slower. Depends on your internet speed. Albeit the data for a metatrader should still arrive in time. Because that’s not much data.

Plus then it’s completely independent from the speed of the computer. Bt can just then slow down the connection speed of the gadgets what communicate via bt.

However, it that is the culprit, just buy a wifi adapter for a few bucks and put it on usb. Most routers have wifi. Or use the lan socket to check that.

What I would do: Just check if there are speed settings or buttons in the bios or as hardware. You could also do a fresh install of xp. The longer somebody uses windoze, the slower it becomes usually. If that was running for a couple of years, there might be a lot of rubbish everywhere. Cleaning that up like teb said is also an option.

It’s a little difficult if I am not at the computer. I don’t know exactly what is the issue. Anyways. As I said the hardware has enough of everything to work for all the typical stuff. 35 GB hard drive looks a little small. Maybe that is an older and slower drive and it is the problem. What you can do then is to buy a ssd. That’s usually a big improvement in speed. It’s however not the cheapest thing to buy a ssd.

you can get a brand new tower with the latest intel chip and all the other trappings with atleast 320Gigs of storage and all other bells and whistles, minus a graphic card for about USD 300 here.

USD 400 usually gets you an entry level model with the latest chipset and mother board plus the monitor.

Yea you could get a new PC. Perhaps it could be a tax deduction because it’s for your new business (fx)??

So Zumba. Pefectly correct, aerobics mixed with dancing. My wife actually takes the little one because my two girls do ice skating, and the dance of Zumba helps them accentuate their moves on the ice. Plus there is the fitness benefit…

However, my older brother is the manager of a football team at what they call ‘junior’ level here in Scotland. This is the level between professional and amateur. Two months ago he took his team to an aerobics class as a fitness test. Not one of his players completed the class !!

Granted Zumba looks as though you’d need to be a bit of an extrovert to do it in public. I wouldn’t, but my girls don’t have any problems in that department.

Interesting story I heard in my travels through the internet

“The Eurozone and financing, explained by a simple story”

Helga is the proprietor of a bar.

She realizes that virtually all of her customers are unemployed alcoholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronize her bar. To solve this problem, she comes up with a new marketing plan that allows her customers to drink now, but pay later.

Helga keeps track of the drinks consumed on a ledger (thereby granting loans to the customers).

Word gets around about Helga’s “drink now, pay later” marketing strategy and, as a result, increasing numbers of customers flood into Helga’s bar. Soon she has the largest sales volume of any bar in town.

By providing her customers freedom from immediate payment demands, Helga gets no resistance when, at regular intervals, she substantially increases her prices for wine and beer, the most consumed beverages. Consequently, Helga’s gross sales volume increases massively.

A young and dynamic vice-president at the local bank recognizes that these customer debts constitute valuable future assets and increases Helga’s borrowing limit. He sees no reason for any undue concern, since he has the debts of the unemployed alcoholics as collateral!

At the bank’s corporate headquarters, expert traders figure a way to make huge commissions, and transform these customer loans into DRINKBONDS. These “securities” then are bundled and traded on international securities markets. Naive investors don’t really understand that the securities being sold to them as “AA” “Secured Bonds” are really debts of unemployed alcoholics.

Nevertheless, the bond prices continually climb! The securities soon become the hottest-selling items for some of the nation’s leading brokerage houses.

One day, even though the bond prices still are climbing, a risk manager at the original local bank decides that the time has come to demand payment on the debts incurred by the drinkers at Helga’s bar. He so informs Helga.

Helga then demands payment from her alcoholic patrons, but being unemployed alcoholics they cannot pay back their drinking debts.

Since Helga cannot fulfill her loan obligations she is forced into bankruptcy. The bar closes and Helga’s 11 employees lose their jobs.

Overnight, DRINKBOND prices drop by 90%. The collapsed bond asset value destroys the bank’s liquidity and prevents it from issuing new loans, thus freezing credit and economic activity in the community.

The suppliers of Helga’s bar had granted her generous payment extensions and had invested their firms’ pension funds in the DRINKBONDs. They find they are now faced with having to write off her bad debt, therefore losing over 90% of the presumed value of the bonds.

Her wine supplier also claims bankruptcy, closing the doors on a family business that had endured for three generations. Her beer supplier is taken over by a competitor, who immediately closes the local plant and lays off 150 workers.

Fortunately though, the bank, the brokerage houses and their respective executives are saved and bailed out by a multi-billion dollar, no-strings attached, cash infusion from the government.

The funds required for this bailout are obtained by new taxes levied on employed, middle-class, non-drinkers who have never been in Helga’s bar.

Downloaded the CCleaner programme and ran it. Certainly seems to have made a great difference to the performance of the machine. Probably isn’t as fast as it used to be, but then again none of us are LOL !! :18:

Anyway it seems to be running at a speed which is more than bearable, haven’t used it to execute a trade yet, which is the main reason for having the machine in the first place. As long as it works OK trading, it will stay in the house, any nonsense, it’s the local refuse tip.

Thanks again to all of you who offered advice with this matter. You were all stars guys. Now, does anybody know how to make shortbread? :smiley:

Ok, strike that last piece of praise for this useless lump of metal. To think it could have made a nice side table as well.

It’s starting to run slower and slower by the second and I have just realised I have not heard that noise the fan makes when it DOES work. So I’m taking it that the fan has handed in it’s resignation.

Had enough of this thing now, it’s just pushed it’s luck too far. The local dump will be a few inches taller tomorrow.