The 3 Duck's Trading System

Trading Tip: try only look at the charts when your head is clear, you’ll probably notice your decision making is far better during these times.

On that note … this week could be a very quiet week for me. Happy St. Patrick’s Day Duck Hunters if you celebrate it.

Andy
Captain Currency

Thanks for the system. Super simple… low stress. Started experimenting last night with it and woke up to about a 10% gain with GJ and GU.

Same exact 2 trades I was in overnight (and still am) :slight_smile:

Was taken out of both GBPUSD and GBPJPY shortly before the fed minutes as my rolling stops got hit which turned out to be very good since both completely reversed.

Difficult to refuse 80 pips on a Thursday, would make my Friday a little bit easier … Nice one Eric.

Welcome Eli, no doubt there will be losing days too …

Have a great weekend Duck Hunters,

[B]Andy
Captain Currency[/B]

Took 5 trades this week with 3 ducks.
2 wins at 1:2.5 or so
1 win at 1:1 (I put TP at a resistance level on that one)
1 slightly better than breakeven
1 Loss

Think I will experiment with more trades next week. I need to go to bed about 4 hours before London and so I have to place my trades a bit earlier that I would like. We will see how things go next week. I also give the market a look about an hour before NY open.

Hi Captain & Duck hunters,

Looks like we are heading into a week of counter-trend movement on the USD-majors - EURUSD, GBPUSD, USDCAD and AUDUSD have all broken above / below their 4hr SMAs. Like Andy says in his latest email, time for “sitting duck”.

I am wondering whether / how you guys traded Thursday’s and Friday’s price action. There were a lot of pips available for grabs, with currencies trading in 200-300pip ranges. It seems to me that most of the price action, especially on Friday, was outside the parameters of the 3-Ducks system.

Taking EURUSD as an example, for both days the price was above the 4hr and 1hr 60SMA, with the 4hr 60SMA in a bearish direction = no trade. Similar setups for GBPUSD, with a potential trade on Friday morning that got stopped out.

Did you stick to your duck-hunting guns and stay out of the market, or did you dabble for some pips?

Looks like definitely Monday will be a ‘sitting duck’ day, perhaps Tuesday as well - things may or may not start looking interesting again come the middle of the week and onwards, but will just see how it goes day to day…

I am wondering whether / how you guys traded Thursday’s and Friday’s price action. There were a lot of pips available for grabs, with currencies trading in 200-300pip ranges. It seems to me that most of the price action, especially on Friday, was outside the parameters of the 3-Ducks system.

Taking EURUSD as an example, for both days the price was above the 4hr and 1hr 60SMA, with the 4hr 60SMA in a bearish direction = no trade. Similar setups for GBPUSD, with a potential trade on Friday morning that got stopped out.

Wednesday & Thursday I didn’t trade, Friday morning I got stopped out on the GBPUSD trade you mention above.

Did you stick to your duck-hunting guns and stay out of the market, or did you dabble for some pips?

All in all, last week I had 4 trades, 1 winner, 3 losers, lost 1.63%. I balance that with the fact that the week before I had 10 trades, 8 winners, 2 losers, won 9.94%.

So the 3 ducks had me trading less & losing less during a ‘bad’ week (at least for the pairs I’m looking at which are most of the majors & just a couple of crosses), but trading more & winning more during a ‘good’ week. You just need the patience & discipline not to trade when the ducks aren’t quacking, which may be the case for at least the first part of next week…

Hello Everyone, Thanks to everyone for all the contributions. Not wanting to take away from the simplicity of this system as I have found simplicity is the ultimate indicator. But has anyone forward tested with the use of Stoller Average Range Channels (STARC Bands) for optimized entry and prolonged exits? Admittedly I didn’t do my homework and read the whole thread so I am sorry if this has already been discussed. Thanks Turk

I can see several pairs that might be worth trading Monday.

AUDNZD, EURNZD, GBPAUD, GBPCAD and GBPNZD all have 4 hour slopes that could be worth looking at next week.

No. And had you done your homework by actually perusing the thread content you’d have discovered that by yourself.

If you haven’t even sufficiently road tested the original set up to determine whether it does indeed offer acceptable returns, then why are you prematurely assuming entries require optimizing & exits require prolonging?

Why the reluctance to simply plug in, play & test the set up in its original format?

Beats me, it really does.

There’s barely a month goes by these days without one or more newbies strolling in (having not bothered to read & digest the content) asking one question after another that has absolutely no relation or bearing whatsoever to the approach being presented.

It’s not like everything they need to know isn’t covered in the 1st post on page 1 or repeated & updated inside half a dozen pages of a free e-book. The same questions are answered multiple times within the pages & reasons given for various scenarios.

If they can be bothered to drag themselves through the content they’ll discover one or two valuable little gems such as how to incorporate the average daily & weekly range to assist with managing opportunities & positions + a simple & very effective alternative pullback entry for the those with a slightly spicier risk appetite that can be utilized across both hourly & sub-hourly timeframe preferences.

15 minutes is all that’s required to read, process, set up the charting platform & begin looking for opportunities!

ffs, its 1 moving average spanning 3 timeframes.

No need for fibonacci or STARCS, pivots, support & resistance, elliot wave, volume, pretty butterfly patterns, wolf waves, channels, trend lines or any other indicator combination they can dream up.

Don’t overthink it - just read the content, join up the dots & get to work conducting your own research & testing based on your individual trading objectives, risk appetite & time allocation.

I guess my question should have been more specific. I should have posted it this way.
While I have not read the whole thread here on this forum I have followed this thread on other forums and entry and exit’s seem to be a reoccurring question. I have read the pdf’s from Captain Currency’s Blog and I don’t feel entry and exits are a problem but I am curious if anyone has ever tested the use of STARC Bands for entry and exit signals. The reason for me to be posting this question is because I have done a search of the thread for STARC Bands and the search returned zero results. So, I am asking if there has ever been anyone that follows this thread that might have possibly tested STARC Bands with this system and just forgot or maybe even had the audacity to not bother and post everything they have ever done in testing this system on their own to this thread.

As I stated above it is my fault for not posting a more specific question. But you really felt the need to spend time on labeling and tearing down my character in the assumption that you knew all of these things you said about me. Should I assume you may have always been a miserable person and I’m not saying you are. Instead I’ll ask has the posting of questions to a forum where questions are posted in the attempt of getting an answer to a question, driven you to the point of your attacking another’s character. There isn’t a single thing you said that was constructive towards anything in this thread or forum or for any other reason than your own personal gratifications. If I am guilty of posting a question that was not well thought out. What do you think you are guilty of? I will say there’s barely a month that goes by that someone’s disposition surprises me anymore.

You’re quite correct, there’s nothing wrong with the entries or exits. They’re as valid & optimal today as they were when first introduced 8 years ago. The problem lies in the people applying them.
They’re either too lazy or too stupid.

The former can be very easily remedied, the latter however is pretty much a lost cause & accounts for a good majority of the frustrations regularly witnessed throughout the thread (& forum).
Adding & tinkering with a perfectly logical & efficient entry/exit set up won’t improve or enhance what is already a very workable option.

If something isn’t broken then it doesn’t need fixing!

I’ve also perused 3 Ducks on other forums & concur with volan’s comment about the utter stupidity from those you refer to.

How many times do Andy & other established contributors have to repeat themselves before it sinks in?
It’s hardly complex. There are dozens of examples throughout the thread(s) highlighting both entries & exits. He/they even post them with suggested entry points in advance!!..& still they consistently manage to f*ck it up.

The trouble with most folks who wander into this game is they’ve got no more common sense than they were born with. They don’t take the time to read the content properly neither do they practice any degree of patience when it does actually manage to sink in. No amount of additional optimization is going to help them.

As has been suggested, the problem isn’t with the technical set ups it’s with those implementing them. There’s a plentiful supply of quality opportunities available each week based on the entries discussed in the original presentation without the need for unnecessary additional entry indicators.

If you wish to pursue & discuss your own interpretation of 3 Ducks then kick off another thread & stop steering this one off track. There’s enough of that nonsense goes on across the forum without this quality thread becoming another victim.

I have been lurking on this thread for almost a year. I have read every post here, word-for-word, and I have read Andy’s ebook at least three times. I have experimented with [I]The 3 Ducks Trading System[/I], and I have considered posting the results that I have achieved with it.

That’s not why I’m here today.

Today I’m here to stand up for Turk (keithna01), who asked a perfectly reasonable question, and got a smart-ass answer from one of the holier-than-thou members of this thread. Turk deserves better than that. Any newcomer asking a sincere question deserves better than that.

The rude treatment given to Turk is merely one instance of a problem which occurs frequently on various threads on the [I]Babypips[/I] forum — and probably on almost all forums of this sort, as well. I refer to this problem as [B]verbal bullying by self-appointed forum elites.[/B] And I think it’s time these forum elites were called out for their behavior. So, here goes —

There’s a group of so-called bank traders, or institutional traders, here on the [I]Babypips[/I] forum, who typically look down on — and talk down to — retail traders, and especially confused, floundering, newbie retail traders.

These so-called professional traders hang out in their own little CLIQUE OF ELITES, and condescend to speak to the rest of us only when they want to mock our trading ideas, and ridicule our lack of sophistication in this business. These elites all participate in a sort of perpetual circle-jerk, in which they all support and “like” everything said by any one of their cohort. There are 8 or 10 of them, currently active on this forum.

One of their most obnoxious habits is this: Whenever a non-elite forum member comments favorably about a particular trading strategy which the elites don’t use, don’t like, or don’t understand, the elites will demand that the stupid non-elite member submit months (or years) worth of [I]myfxbook[/I] evidence to show that the strategy works. If the non-elite member cannot show proof of long-term success with the strategy he is proposing, the elites will resort to ridicule — liberally laced with unintelligible jargon — until their victim is silenced.

Sounds just like the sort of tactic used by garden-variety forum trolls, doesn’t it?

The elites don’t just criticize and ridicule non-elites. They also boast about their superior “elite” trading methods — again, in jargon that nobody can decode. So, what happens when one of the non-elites has the audacity to ask an elite for [I]myfxbook[/I] proof that the elite approach to trading actually works successfully over the long haul?

Well, as you might guess, the elites don’t tolerate that sort of snarky challenge to their lofty “elite-ness”.

Here’s a question posted by a non-elite newbie, who obviously didn’t understand the class divisions on this forum, or how inappropriate it is for low-life non-elites to demand any sort of proof that the lofty rhetoric of the elites is more than just hot air.

The following quote is real. The name of the non-elite forum member being quoted has been fictionalized.

And here’s the response he got from one of the forum elites, who has no proof to offer that all his smug pontificating is anything other than bullsh!t.

Again, the quoted post is real. The name of the elite forum member being quoted has been fictionalized.

And, finally, here’s a reply to the SmugEliteGenius from a [I]Babypips[/I] member who is neither smug, nor a self-appointed forum elite.

As before, the quoted post is real. The poster’s name has been fictionalized.

Indeed, the common denominator in all the bombast posted by all the forum elites seems to be stroking their inflated egos.

Turk didn’t ask for [I]myfxbook[/I] proof of anything. He simply asked whether anyone had tried using a particular indicator as an adjunct to [I]The 3 Ducks[/I] methodology. But, that was enough to trigger condescending abuse from more than one self-appointed elite.

A civilized reply to Turk’s question might have been something along these lines:

[I]The 3 Ducks Trading System[/I] works just fine without the sort of embellishment you are suggesting.

That being said, many participants on this thread have proposed various tweaks to the System, and their experimentation is perfectly legitimate — but, not on this thread.

Andy, and the veteran participants on this thread, insist that discussions on this thread should be limited to the methodology as first proposed.

Sadly, smug elites are not in the habit of posting civilized replies.

Couldn’t agree more to the post above (2087) - help or don’t help, but don’t become a bully please.

I have to add though, nobody can ever expect to make money in this business without working bloody hard. Even though this system appears easy, you should never take anybody’s word for it and you need to do your own work as well.

Practise with a paper account and see how this system fits in with your style of trading - everybody is different and will get a different result.

Oh, and by the way - the Captain isn’t telling people off! I think he would prefer people to help out. And he has previously stated that the system can be modified to suit; it is a discretionary system after all, so why not discuss the discretionary element on this forum?

My penny’s worth - fill your boots!

Steve L

PS congratulations on the 6-Nations win.

so anyway, onto the important bit……….

gbp/nzd, gbp/aud & eur/ndz continue to look the best of the short picks heading into the new business week, whilst nzd/cad & eur/gbp are the early front runners for bets to the long side……all incidently being prepped & filtered as per the [B]original[/B] timeframe/moving average set up with no added seasoning!!

Good afternoon and greetings,

I haven’t posted in ages but I had to give a hand clap for this post.

I have no idea of the reason for some people’s smug replies to genuine newbies but I do agree it stinks of arrogance. Some of the threads I have really enjoyed here on this site have always come with the premise of ‘there is no such thing as a stupid question’. But in the last year or 2 in certain threads that outlook has changed which goes against the ethos of the website on whose forum these people post.

Sorry for interrupting your thread Andy and thanks once again for providing it in the first place.

Ni bheidh do leithead aris ann. Slan go foil agus beannacht,

Le meas,

Padraic

Wooaahh.
Nice post Clint.
You sure have a verbal Walther PPK!