The Koala System ( Newbie Friendly )

unmodified?

basically i’m using the same koalas. but use it on other pairs only. SL normally around 30pips.

But these couple of days the koalas are losing their strengh. Their trend wont last longer than 20pips, from the start of my trade. Especially if u see the EU, it was so choppy. Imagine the highest and lowest for the past 2.5 days was within 50pips.

i see…

i use the koala system ONLY on E/U. Not saying you definitely get better results but i usually use SL 50. This gives me more space.

btw in my reviews, i mentioned that the koalas are not good for tight ranging markets … LIKE NOW !

are you trading too much? I “feed” my koalas on an average once per day. When conditions like now are on, i usually stay out or if i really must, have a smaller TP.

remember we must always adapt to the current conditions and react accordingly. There is NEVER one size fits all in forex…

hmmm do you follow my daily reviews on the E/U at my blog? i usually comment about the markets there…

yeah, i remember u said 50pips, buy i guess i diverted from the rules.

i also think i traded too much.

btw, how do i get to ur blog? should i refer back to your first post?

Link is in the first post !

Thanks.

Yeap, i concur it’s a request from me.

Wen in again and bought EU. This time i put 50p SL. Hopes it will bull up this time.

Btw, i was doing (a bit) of thinking. Wouldn’t 50p SL be too late/too long to confirm that you’re trading the wrong trend?

For e.g. (2 examples)

1. Koalas show uptrend. u buy EU at 1.5000, with TP&SL at 50p.
    EU goes up by 15p to 1.5015, then down by 45p to 1.4970 (or 30p below the trade price). Wouldn’t this 45p down a good enough confirmation that the EU is going other way?

2. Koalas shows uptrend. u buy at 1.5000, it wen straight down (or slowly & silently)40p but never went above 1.5000 (or mayb 5pips above). Wouldn’t that be good confirmation of wrong trend, instead of waiting to the SL of 1.4950?

Next question is, based on your experience, on average how long u need to hold the trade before touching TP or SL? Within half day, or 1 day or more than 1 days?

Last Q?: Do you use trailing stops? This might give some answers to senario 1 above.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

my SL50 is more to cushion spikes… which happens often these days…

i will “Trail” my own stops…

for example, if i am at +30pips, i may move my SL to Break Even +5…

worst come to worst, i harvest 5pips… and i am happy.

i hope you did this for your long… btw when you trade, do you consider upcoming news… retail sales is impt and i wrote it in my blog… as said, the usd did strengthen after good numbers… hope you got out.

I know I certainly has been using this system in conjunction with news and other factors. Take today for instance, the US data economic news is all good or better than expected, combine this with a consensus that the dollar has bottomed out, and you have something to look for. This is what I was watching for this morning, and bang there is was.

I have been riding the koala wave on the EUR/USD all morning, trailing my stop loss a little larger each time to give it room for investors to take small profits or spokes. As of right now it has been a wonderful morning, I am just going to sit back and ride it out as long as it will run.

Thanks 801, and I do like your blog also.
:slight_smile:

I read someplace on the BP forum that the USD/CHF & the EUR/USD have a 97% correlation factor which means if you have a profit in one the other one should profit in the opposite direction. Of course, if you are having a loss in one, then. . . d.

thanks buddy… as long as my system / blog helps folks to harvest some pips, i am happy :slight_smile: do vote for this thread if you like… thanks ~ ~

What do you think Eur/USD is doing right now? preparing for a major downtrend? it’s been on an uptrend since May, looking at the Daily, something is going on, I was hoping it would keep going up. that downtrend is ridiculous

Like trading801 said the downtrend was due to impressive results of US news data.

Yup i got out from my uptrade 15 minutes before US trading starts and before the news of course, and got about 6pips gain only.

Then when the news came, i ride the downtrend at quite a late stage though, (quite risky also considering the price was far off from the red koala), but i just take the risk and made 40 pips. I just can’t keep my fingers away from trading.

One question though, for the past few months i’ve noted generally positive US data will result in bulls in US stock prices, but the opposite for USD. But since the latest NFP, that was not the case. Now both stock and USD went bulls together. Any comment?

801, I have a tweak to your Koala System, tell me what you think—

The three EMA’s are as follows:

3 (yellow)
6 +1 horizontal shift to the right/future (blue)
9 +2 horizontal shift to the right/future (orange)

I myself like 5,7,9 with the above mentioned shifts. The purpose of the shift is to indicate action (open or, especially, close) a little bit sooner. The trends stand out like a neon sign. Positions are closed if any lines cross another line at the close of a candle.

Soooo, thoughts???

Potaire

Posted my weekly review from my blog here for all :slight_smile: Enjoy.

Good day and welcome back to another The Koala System Weekly Review.

The week was full of important news as mentioned in my EUR/USD Weekly Review and we all know that the koalas do not like volatility.

Right at the start on early Monday trading, steep moves were observed. To the untrained eye, these seemed like a trend calling. Koala users would know that this was a warning sign and indeed a spike up emerged at the later half of the day.

Our only trading opportunity emerged on the second day. A harvest of slightly less than a 100 pips would be available for those who caught this signal.

The EUR/USD resumed it’s undecided temperament as the koalas were flipped around like a stir fry pan. This was a clear no trade indication.

Many folks seem to have forgotten that trading during important news releases requires margin accounts of steel! We had a classic example when the currency pair dropped sharping after the US Retail Sales. If you are unsure of what lies ahead, check the economic calender i have for you koalas here.

This week was indeed a test of patience for all. If you did ride this crazy week being green, good for you. If not, do remember that The Koala System is all about patience. I average around 1 trade per day in good times. As expected, i was flat most of this week. If you need revision, head towards my Forex Education section and read up on the trade and money management topics.

Trade safe and treat your koalas well. I will see you next week!

hi fxster, you must see the big picture… the relationship of the stock up and usd down only came into the light strongly since the 08 crisis. This is the risk aversion theme i always refer to in my blog.

The one u saw lately… and which is economically “right” is that a positive news is good for the currency and equities of the country as investors seek investments. I refer this as the fundamental theme in my blog… i said a few times in my reviews… things seem to be changing into the fundamental theme … this is something me and my koalas are watching closely.

hi can you share more about this “shift” i am not familiar with this…

i will ask my koala labs to check this out :stuck_out_tongue:

801----when you set up your moving averages there should be some kind of option that you select, that will move the entire moving average line to the right or to the left how many periods you choose. Yours is no doubt set to 0 right now. I have been playing around with this “shift”, and it really makes a difference in the charts. You can use two or more moving averages, with all of them set to the same number of periods but a different shift for each one, and the crossing of the lines [B]seems[/B] to happen closer to the perfect spot. Perhaps I just [B]think[/B] it is sooner. It also [B]seems[/B] to show what to expect next, although that is probably an illusion. If someone will explain how to post a chart on this board I can show everybody what I mean.

Potaire

OK, let’s see if I figured out how to post charts. One chart has standard EMAs of 3, 6, & 9. The other one has the shifts.

Potaire

Sweet! That wasn’t too tough. Now I’m afraid I’ll turn into a chart-posting-fool. lol Anyways, this chart has all the EMAs the same, but different shifts. This shifting gig produces infinite possibilities for EMA charting.

Potaire

from the “shifted” 3,6,9 chart it seems like a downtrend.
Am i correct to deduce that?

Pros: i think is does provide a clearer pic, as the 3 EMA are separated, rather than bundle together, especially during the start of the trend -> so more trade opportunities.

Cons: More fakeouts.