The problem is GOD yes or no?

Yes. The problems arising from religion and the solutions it offers are more to do with how we deal with other people than how we deal with any deities.

Which supports the line that religion is just a social construct for the good and peaceful governance of a community of people.

But if good and peaceful governance of people is the result, maybe religion is a good thing? e.g. I might not believe in a god, but if those around me do, they will be less likely to kill me or steal my things or whatever.

Unless they know I donā€™t believe in their gods, in which case they might want to seek me out and kill me asap.

Either way, human society advances.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I do not believe that their is a ā€˜Godā€™ and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

There is however evidence that accident world leaders created different ā€˜Godsā€™ as a way to control the people. Such as the Egyptians.

1 Like

And the Aztecs and the Mayaā€¦ Exactly my take on religionsā€¦

The 10 Commandments in their day would have been the equivalent to a Constitutionā€¦

1 Like

Religion can go wrong when humans have a brain :joy:

James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Well these are good objectives, to be respected.

Iā€™m not 100% happy being told I need to do these things or else burn for ever.

1 Like

I understand and respect that

Generally, most laws in countries are based on godā€™s words without humans even knowing it

Which confirms @tommor, @Pauley1 and my points that religion is used for the control of populaceā€™sā€¦

I get it, Are you saying we should have no guidelines, we should be able to murder, rape, steal, etc., without repercussions?

Yes they are. Or at least manā€™s ideas of what Godā€™s laws should be.

Of course, some laws in some countries at some times are not perfect. This can be because God allows free will to man, so that imperfect laws are permitted. In fact they are guaranteed to occur, because man is himself not perfect.

So weā€™re not all going to be happy about all the laws, and its quite legitimate to argue that some of them just ainā€™t Godā€™s laws at allā€¦

2 Likes

I agree 100%

Not at allā€¦ But before civilizationā€™s could organize a way of legislating lawsā€¦ Religion was a way to justify right and wrong amongst less sophisticated culturesā€¦

1 Like

yes you are correct, that is true. but lets take this point, Was that man-made religion teaching people to do wrong as in evil, or were they pointing out the good that people can do?

Unfortunately, Religion like Laws are based on fear and punishmentā€¦ Donā€™t believe, youā€™re going to Hellā€¦ So follow our religion or else you are doomedā€¦

Which is the same as legislated lawsā€¦ Follow the law or else you are going to be finedā€¦ Or jailedā€¦

good point, but what would happen if we didnā€™t have laws or letā€™s say religion. That brings us back to the question of whether we should be allowed to murder, rape, steal, etc without fear of repercussions?

No Dictator, Despot, Monarch, Government, Cult or Religious leader will ever allow governance by the peopleā€¦ Ever!

Let me circle back (Jen Psaki)ā€¦ Religion was the forerunner to legislated lawsā€¦ A way to justify right and wrong when we lived in less sophisticated culturesā€¦ Even though Gods cannot be scientifically proven, even in modern times, It was so well accepted that it still exists todayā€¦

I respect your point of view

1 Like

are we sure we are not govern by the people

If we wereā€¦ Every time a new law or regulation was introduced a public referendum would be requiredā€¦ And we donā€™t see too many of thoseā€¦

Take Brexit as an exampleā€¦ Chosen by public referendumā€¦ Not the result the Government wantedā€¦ And the current Government is still fighting to get back into the European Unionā€¦

ā€œIf voting really made any difference they wouldnā€™t let us do it.ā€ ā€• Mark Twain

1 Like

ok, my bad I was taking a different approach. I was gonna say this

Lets say there was a village with a 1,000 people in it, and one person murder someone and the villagers decide to hang the murder and after they hang him they decided they will treat all murders the same from here out, would that be a form of government?