The problem is GOD yes or no?

That would be a lynch mob… Are we sure he committed the murder…? Was there witnesses, motive…?

These situations happen in many parts of the world today where Government is weak… South America, Africa etc…

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the movie Lord of the flies… It’s about a group of stranded boys and how they organize themselves into a hierarchal system.

1 Like

but even looking at this approach, as the people get older and die off, and the new generation of villagers take over, the law of hanging murders might be elided in favor of a new method of dealing with murders, such as life in prison.

It’s pretty much the system we have today

Modern society follows laws whether they are good or bad… Just like a religion… There is no margin for common-sense or fairness…

That would go back to your point, should we force our ways on them or let them figure it out

The problem with modern Governments is too many laws… It’s no longer that clear what is right and what is wrong… Every year 1000’s of new laws and regulations are introduced without ever repealing the old ones…

Most these days need an Accountant to submit their tax returns… Financial laws are so complicated most have no idea what constitutes legal or illegal…

Living under the law of western Governments is like Nelson’s Column… So covered in Pigeon shite… We forget what the monument stood for…

1 Like

I think there are, the reason we have different religions and different beliefs, I try not to force my faith on people because they have the right to their own beliefs

I agree, western laws have become too complicated for no darn reason

The get out of jail free card practiced by western religion’s is praying for forgiveness… Do something against your faith… So long as you go to church on Sunday and beg / pray for forgiveness or give a confession to your Priest…

You’re all good to go… To the promised land…

This conversation is a bit much for the rank and file in these forums… I think we should leave it there.

8.30pm here…

1 Like

It’s almost 6:30am I’m going to get breakfast, we talk later, I’m hungry :v:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard of that, you can knowingly sin all week and go to church on Sunday and ask for forgiveness and you’ll be fine.

For me it’s not the game I want to play, it’s playing on god intelligence like he doesn’t know the game you are playing, how he deals with that, who knows. that’s if you believe there is a god

Oooooh. :open_mouth: This is a very interesting and controversial discussion that I wouldn’t want to interfere in. :sweat_smile: But just to share my thoughts also, I come from a predominantly Catholic/ Christian country, so the concept of a God has been taught to us since we started learning how to speak. :sweat_smile:

Of course, as I grew older, I started to question this more and more. I even wrote an essay about this when I was in the university. And among the philosophers that I studied, Pascal’s was the one that stood out for me. :open_mouth: He says basically something like it’s better for people to live as if there’s a God because if there actually is a God and you didn’t believe in Him, you’re going to hell. But if there’s no God and yet you believed, there’s no consequence. :open_mouth:

This is super simplified and just based on my own understanding so please feel free to correct me! Haha. :smiley: It’s a great discussion.

@ria_rose That’s why so many believe in a God… It’s an each way bet… Based on a fear of the great unknown…

For the religious… If there really is a God… You’ll be good to go through the pearly gates… If there really isn’t a God… Well, no harm done…

1 Like

Yeah. :open_mouth: It’s the thought of “hell” that motivates a lot of people to do everything they can not to end up there. :confused: And at times, I would say I feel the same way. Just the thought of eternal suffering gives me nightmares. :confused:

2 Likes

Believing in a god is not an each way bet, you forgot that you could believe in the wrong god. Also, wouldn’t your god know if you only said you believed in them because you were hedging your bets rather than being all out in favour of them?

2 Likes

@ria_rose @Trendswithbenefits

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a catholic friend, who said it was like an ‘insurance policy’ for him.
I replied that if he was right and I was wrong God is going to say to him “Sorry, we don’t do insurance up here, you best go down stairs.” To me he will say "Johnny boy, you got it wrong again but never mind, you weren’t too bad - welcome aboard!

2 Likes

@igillman No, It’s an each way bet no matter what the religion. Nearly ALL religion’s revolve around a better place in an afterlife for only those that have faith…

For the record, I’m not anti-religion… If you believe in a God, I have no issue with it at all, science/physics cannot prove they don’t exist and science/physics cannot prove that they do…

We all have our own intrinsic views of our earth bound reality…

But with over 3000 variations of religion and probably even more worshipped deities… Atheist’s only believe in one less God than ALL true believers…

1 Like

I believe in God i also believe bring beautiful people together whether its business or pleasure i believe .

1 Like

Right. Just imagine what the world would be like if there was no fear of a god! We have the law, but for some people it’s not enough.

Religion also gives people a (usually) positive path to walk in life. Without it, many people would be lost and possibly wreckless.

1 Like

@dushimes Unfortunately we’ll never ever know… Double edged sword territory… God or no God, Humans are programmed to survive… Most don’t want to die…

You also wouldn’t have religious skirmishes like Northern Ireland, The former Yugoslavia, Africa and the ongoing religious persecutions in many other countries…

There wouldn’t be Islamic extremists strapping bombs to themselves and killing innocent infidels en mass in the hope of a better existence in a promised afterlife…

You guys should be putting more thought into some of these posts…

3 Likes