The problem is GOD yes or no?

Fine but if this magician created all this stuff - do tell me please Who created this God ?

1 Like

These are not significant to the greater question of has humanity benefitted more from having religious beliefs than it would have had if it hadnā€™t had any. Its always going to be possible to find questionable things done in the name of a belief, but there have been far fewer questionable things because of belief.

In any case, much of what we have called religious aggressions or repressions or persecutions have also had significant political, social and economic factors, they have rarely been purely religious.

This is all reasonable - IF there was a god. Which I still say there isnā€™t. Weā€™re just organisms on a speck of warm wet rock drifting around a second-rate star. If infinity means anything this has happened before somewhere and will happen again somewhere else.

1 Like

I just had this conversation over the weekend. I was talking with a buddy who is getting his Phd in theology and I tried to get him to explain his views on science and religion and creation, and then we got to talking about UFOs and aliens and not being along. Exactly because of what you said, how vast the universe is and weā€™re just a tiny speck.

Suppose the planets in otter space once had life on them, now imagine planet earth becoming one of those planets and a new planet gets created, and now people on the new planet are sent to otter space to explore planet earth. possibility?

In theory yes. But if we accept the universe is infinite, then the average distance between simultaneous humanoid developments is infinity, so the probability of meeting another humanoid species is infinitely small. Which basically means weā€™re on our own.

As I was saying, we become one of the other planets we see today as in there is nothing on them. Another planet is created and this new planet decides to explore otter space and discover planet earth with nothing on it.

Possibility

Thought provoking posts.

Jesus said no way to heaven unless thru me - usually interpreted as unless you are a Christian then you have had it.

Then Jewish religion says they are chosen ppl - thus all else are not.

The again the Islam religion says all else are kafirs and not worth that much.

And so on it goes - wars, fights, burning ppl, better than themā€™uns as we say.

The one element of religious sectaranism that is common to all these is hate, and hate is the neighbour of lack of love.

Unconditional love is very powerful - yet it cannot force. It can begin a relationship - yet it cannot end it.

Jesus also asked his followers to love as He loves - how best is it possible to interact with love - only with love.

Who is God?

God is love.

1 Like

The wars and persecutions committed in the names of various organised religions are far over-stated. I think it might be down to the way we understand history. Its all waymarked and defined by wars. So a thousand years of peaceful co-existence can be eclipsed by a single war, which in itself might have been prompted by political, economic and social factors under the uniting flag of religion. This just isnā€™t a realistic way to quantify the impacts of religions on world populations.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? Did I ask for a sermon, or to be preached to? In fact, I find it quite insulting. Typical Christians pushing their BS to anyone and everyone, whether they want to hear it or not, with no consideration for their beliefs, or non-beliefs for that matter.

4 Likes

Religious quotations from holy books are not evidence for the existence of a god. In order to take them as important in any way you have to accept that the hands that wrote them were at least guided by a god. People who use religious quotes like to show that because they know these things and quote these words they are sincere: but thatā€™s a low bench-mark.

I couldnā€™t agree with you more.
Who can establish that this is a God-written book? Anyone can say that.

Ah, the age-old clash of religious beliefs! But what if we chose love over hate? God, who is love, encourages us to love one another. So, letā€™s forget the fights and focus on spreading unconditional love. It could be the key to bridging our differences and interacting with kindness and understanding.

2 Likes

Erm - didnā€™t ā€œheā€ tell Abraham to sacrifice his only son ?
Didnā€™t ā€œHeā€ kill all the firstborn sons of the enemies of his "chosen people " - Turn women to piillars of salt ?

Drown uncounted Egyptians who were following one of his nominees through a hole in the Red Sea ?

Come on girl - grow up and smell the deceit !

Bastard child of a woman who in your country would have been confined in ā€œMagdalene Laundriesā€ - but had a cuckold ā€œhusbandā€ and great PR ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And of course we always get the religion extremist from both sides, Believers and Non Believers

1 Like

This thread seems to be attacking people who believe in God, but something is missing

What is missing from this thread are the personal beliefs of those who do not believe in God. What do you guys believe in?

Hence the premise of all of my postsā€¦ Religious debates between the believers and non-believers seems to always end in opinionated extremismā€¦

Itā€™s appears to be impossible to debate the unseen, unprovableā€¦ Possibly the irrational in a rational and respectful mannerā€¦

Okay, great, but what do non-believers believe in or what are their beliefs about where we came from and what happens after death?

You must have your own beliefs on those matters other than attacking those who believe in GOD

Iā€™m not attacking those that believe in Godā€¦ Merely trying to understand why you believe when you have no physical proofā€¦