The Rabbit Hole

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels/pros-and-cons

It seems other people might disagree with your assertion that they are not affordable, but what the hell do I know! I guess there are pros and cons to everything! Like I said the technology is improving so there is hope in this endeavor! I am hoping that the next house I buy is fitted with a Tesla roof! I am willing to try, but more research will be done before I commit!

Nice! Hey, I’m pretty easy to convince, just show me the maths add up. Unfortunately, I don’t think they do add up here. The UK on average gets under 1500 hours of sunshine a year. Contrast that to the Poitou Charentes region of France (where I would like to buy), that is the second sunniest region of France and gets over 2100 hours of sunshine a year. I would definitely consider solar panels (or solar roof) for there.

I question those range figures. I noticed that Tesla only give figures up to 70mph. From 60 to 70mph, the range drops quite steeply. So how about from 70 to 100mph?! How about having the car fully loaded, air con blasting, cruising at 90-100? They will never give figures for that which is more like the reality. I asked the salesmen whether those figures take into the account the weight of the driver, whether wipers, lights, air con etc are going. They couldn’t answer me. So I will assume those published figures are based on a weightless driver with no air con or anything travelling at a steady 70 (probably in a vacuum, lol) How long will it take me to do 600 miles /1000km??! I also notice the charging points seem all well and good during normal times, but what about peak holiday times? You see maybe 5 charging points in the service stations along the main routes going south in France, then there could be 300 cars stopped there. What if they all were electric? In reality, I’m guessing the range may only be about 100 miles. :joy:

:joy::joy::joy:

Tesla batteries use the same technology as the battery in your phone. After a couple of years or so, phone batteries start dying. It tells you you have 50% so you think all well and good, you’re only halfway through your charge and go out. 5 minutes later it’s down to 10%. Check your emails and it’s dead. :joy: Nah, I would rather just squirt a bit of juice in the car for now, anyway!

In the meanwhile, we have perfectly good alternatives :

Oil, petrol, coal, which are fully developed and readily available.

Nuclear of course is almost infinite - and none of these require batteries at all.

Yet the “Environmental” Industry grinds on and on, riding a huge wave of self congratulation, trying to solve priblems which are entirely of their own making ! :laughing:

There is and has been a very concerted effort of indoctrination in state schools, mostly subliminal, probably in the last 25 years and IQ scores have been dropping in the last few decades: Researchers find IQ scores dropping since the 1970s. Probably a combination of both. Idiots are easier to brainwash!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:I B dead and gone when electrics take over, thank goodness! Three prettiest sounds on earth – WWII radial fighter engine, hopped up Harley shovelhead and a 60’s American V8 with 3 deuces!! :sunglasses:

Why is the stirring wheel on the wrong side???:joy::joy:

No you won’t. They will sort out the battery issues within 5 years. Once they have that, everything will be electric. There is no contest, the electric motor is far superior to the combustion engine.

Because we were knights of old who jousted with our right hands and could take a good swipe at you as we passed by!

1 Like

i think you know why the scores has dropped

Personal vilification is the weapon of choice for “Lefties” and SJWs generally. It was used to huge effect in the CO2 = Global Warming lie and is highly employed by “Feminists” in their witch hunt against males.

I think it started in the 1970s in the uk anyhow, possibly a lot earlier.

Over the years, various Govts have increased the school leaving age from 13 to 14, to 15, to 16 and then to 18, as a device for lowering the “Unemployed” figures.

This meant that those without the “IQ” to become nuclear physicists HAD to stay on rather than just leaving school and getting an apprenticeship as a bricklayer, plumber, Carpenter, Mechanic etc etc. Since they had no interest in “Being schooled” the frustrated “prisoners” became highly disruptive and developed “chips on their shoulders” and a constantly reinforced belief that they were inferior. [Whereas under old Apprenticeship system, those “Early leavers” had by the time they reached 21 yo been “whipped into shape” by their “masters” (craftsmen) and had been taught that life can be a little unfair and not to take everything at face value - having been sent to “the stores” for “A long weight” (wait) ! etc etc.They had become real adults ready to take on mottygages and have families of their own! ]

In an effort to overcome this frustration and yes ANGER ! - the “Comprehensive system” replaced the system of Grammar Schools and “Senior Schools” and “Streaming” was abolished. Thus the teachers had to try to teach everyone to a minimum level. This naturally meant that those bright pupils got completely ignored and left to “Fend for themselves” . There was no challenge nor encouragement to challenge themselves.

Again in the '70s the teaching methods were changed for reading for example. Spelling and Grammar became “obsolete” for a decade or more, before being recognised again as “of some value”.

Nowadays to even set foot on a building site, one has to have a card which is theoretically a “safety test” card, but it is becoming compulsory that in order to even Take the test everyone has to achieve a certain “Level of education” - Something totally irrelevant if you want a labourer or a welder for example.

Nowadays it is impossible for any man to get a teaching job, because of the underlying threats to his personal wellbeing. so All children are taught by women and many of them come from homes where there are only female “carers”. That is to my mind cause for concern.

However, by the time I was 25 ish, I could weld, make wine, make a “wall unit” from wood, varnish and polish it, mend any car, lay bricks well enough to build a barbeque, build a stone fireplace, strip and re-lay a slate roof, operate a chain saw, spray paint a car, sew my own buttons back on my shirt, make a Chrismas cake, cook a stew or a chicken, light a fire, catch fish and shoot well enough with a rifle or a shotgun, catch rabbits using ferrets and nets, wring a chicken’s neck, pluck and gut it (by the time I was 10 !) - OH and I forgot - I could SWIM ! - both on top and underwater like a fish. I learned in the River ! same as my “mates did”.

Most of the lads I meet nowadays can do none of those things - they “haven’t been on the course” !

Does that make them “bad people” ? does it make them “dumb” or lacking in intelligence ?

No of course not - people just do what they regard as “the norm”, that being "what they were taught - Like the Eloi in HG Wells “The time machine” ! They sit there chatting in the warm sunshine and “being lovely” - until the “Morlocks” emerge and eat them !

In a world where the “opinion” is equal to or better than “the fact” - provided you have enough people to shout at and abuse the “possessor of the fact” and enough clout to destroy their livelihood (Think what befell David Bellamy - in the "CO2 == Global warming falsehood - just for stating “CO2 is GOOD for plants”)

In a world where it is seriously put forward that “Creationism” be taught in schools with equal weight to the “Competeing theory of Evolutionism” - what on earth is the point of knowledge at all ?

https://www.icr.org/article/66/

Perhaps it is just easier to “go with the flow” and instead of respecting great thinkers and scientists like Darwin, Einstein, Freud, Archimedes, Plato, et al - just go along with some KArdashian or other and “what do your mates say ?”

Just out of interest, there is a book by a guy called Eric Blair caled “1984” - which he wrote nder a pseudoniym - “George Orwell”, which is well worth a read and is commended as a prophesy as to where the world is actually going ! (The more remarkable, since it was written in 1948 !)

2 Likes

That’s all very well spelt out! By the way, there still are about 160 grammar schools in the country. There was great talk by the Tories of bringing them back and having one in each town, around the time that May took over (?) Funny that’s all gone quiet.

Plus… around the times of the dinosaurs, CO2 levels were 5 times what they are now and Antarctica was a lush rainforest.

I think the right to vote should be subject to attaining a certain level in an IQ test. I would suggest 100. Shouldn’t be a problem as Remainers continually bleat on about how thick leave voters are.

I stopped listening to PM’s question time, I couldn’t believe the level of idiocy and lack of respect for fellow members. It is almost like vying for housepoints by using the most eloquent verbal slapdown.

Merc produced the B250e, which I am kind-of thinking was a covert attempt at stealing technology. Or at the very least to find out if it is worth stealing, and if not how to do it better.

1 Like

That’s the Chinese approach. The British approach is to put all the fans on one side…

2 Likes

There are solar farms installed in the UK, and they continue to install them so they must be viable.

The UK produces loads of power from wind. Last year (in the summer) 50% of demand was met from wind power. The UK is shutting down dirty coal power stations, and none too soon. The damage that has been done to Scottish and Scandinavian forestry and ‘fresh’ water resources is appalling.

1 Like

Therefrom I submit a new definition of “a Leftie” … one who cannot use a sword!

2 Likes