Why 100% accuracy means your about to lose big: If you can't take a small loss, you won't take a big loss and you will end up being forced to take a massive loss!

Ah yes, the ammutrure trader uses values.

Not percentages of total account balance - are you really for real?

If i have a $1M account with 1% DD and you have a $1k account, does that mean my 1% DD is worse than your 50% DD? gosh…

2 Likes

Yes, I guess that is what a lot of people are keen to find out nowadays.

Ah yes, the ammutrure trader also takes values (dollars) to the bank…not percentages.

James… the Fat Lady hasn’t sung… the Operas not over…

At the end of the day, this is spot on.

Its all relative to the account size, you have to look at it from a % point of view.

This is how most competent traders or even anyone in the financial space would look at it.

1 Like

And I very much look forward to following this thread; like I’ve said a few times now I am interested in the system being used - if it is indeed a system, or just sit and hold and hope.

However, and for your benefit TWB, I will be measuring DD in the correct & financially astute manner.

Whatever James… Until you actually post something of substance… I see you as a man of straw.

It’s ok TWB - I think we know where the substance has come from tonight, and unfortunately it’s not been in your corner.

But, that’s why we are here, this is a website where people come to learn and develop skills from people who are financially aware of the environment in which we undoubtedly operate in, right?

I’m glad I could help you, and at this rate if we take it one step at a time then i’m sure we will get there.

Getting back on topic… no where did I state that I can achieve 100% successful trades, absolutely nowhere… All I posted was a strategy to convert a loss into a profit… nothing more, nothing less…

You posted nothing but hot air in my 25% per month thread… you of all people should have seen quite a few losses were generated to get to the target…

Unfortunately its the nature of this game… losses have to be taken at some point… whether you trade from point A to point B and close the occasional wrong call, trade a grid strategy and have to apply a close all to clear the board with either a profit or a loss. Even Hedge Traders will be required to close out losing positions with the strategy giving more winners than losers.

It’s no different than operating a business in the corporate world… you don’t make a profit on every job or every month. Its the net result at the EOM or the Fiscal year that is the prize. Trading the markets is exactly the same…

Post some results to prove you actually have a dog in the fight… it’s put up or shut up at this point.

Elijah, Jafooly, and I have all presented actual situations… where’s yours??

Sorry you just changed the topic with the below…again you’re sending mixed signals - perhaps you should sit and hold on that one, too?

I’ll keep this short - and no, it’s not happening.

You can enjoy the pi**ing contest though - not my style :wink:

I don’t understand this quote Bacon If he started with 3k and he now has 2.5k in equity isn’t that something around a 15% / 17% drop? I admit that i don’t know about financial terminology however so I might be missing something.

Hope so mate! But as you know, there is nothing like obvious in Forex. Wish, you are aware of money management and risk management rules.

Sure.

Highest equity reached was 4.56k
Live floating P&L is 2.46k

That’s a floating ‘live’ DD of -46% from today’s results as of now if you closed all trades.

Sure this might change, and if the grid structure is as you’ve suggested then this could well feed into the equity curve. Looking back in time on this account this is exactly what happened on the 5th October; it worked out favourably.

I’m keen to see this develop, most probably helped by my mentality to take risks also.

1 Like

I liked your 1st line of the topic. Really there is nothing like 100% in Forex! It’s all about profanities.

Now, there’s something that’s confusing me here - perhaps someone will be able to help?

Here is a screen shot from 23rd November showing the live equity curve at -2.93%

And here is the same screenshot from today. On the same date it reads the live equity curve (for the 23rd November) at +58.03%

Perhaps i’ve lost the plot here, but how is this possible

No idea what I’m saying, ignore.

haha - yea, each dot is for a different day

looks like some kind of manipulation - unlikely in reality but I can’t figure it out. I’ve also read the calculations which myfxbook uses. Strange…

It will be interesting to see what today’s equity growth reads tomorrow. it should be at around -5%, which is what it reads now.

Yeah I confused myself.

No idea how it can change for a date that has passed, it was what it was back then, surely.

The DD calculation is entirely wrong in myfxbook too, it should be the percentage change against the highest equity vs the lowest equity. Hence, it should include open positions. (peak vs valley)

Two different calculations being used for DD - the more I look at myfxbook the more i’m relaising it’s a bag of crap

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head, @BaconSandwich.

We highlighted the importance of paying attention to floating profits and losses in these earlier discussions:

1. NAV(net account value) or Balance for monthly return
  2. Both buy and sell positions losing?
  3. Is 500 % margin level safe?
  4. Is 1000$ a good starting balance for a newbie?
  5. Newbie question

Traders who look only at closed trades ignoring floating profits and losses are prone to the risk management errors you exposed in your post.

2 Likes

Agreed @FOREX.com - it seems you can lead a horse to water here on BP, but you cant always make them drink it. Oh well!