What about the Unity?

Seems BoJo will hold his promise of leaving 31st october. Thou it will not be him who “delivers” but the Frenchs.

Kindergarden politics

Is this in any form a democracy? A unelected PM acting against a elected parliament and law itself while he “suspends” parliament (i know the UK uses another word to make it sounds more “lawful” and acceptable to the public, but it in fact is a closing down of a elected parliament, something only USSR, cuba, china etc and such states do/did)

The new plan of BoJo seems to be to shed UK territory (NI) to the EU in order to get a brexit the way he wants.

Is this democracy? Making deals on territory to get a cake and eat it?

I wonder what the NI population thinks of this? Do they like to stay in the EU and seperated from the UK? or do they feel like a cow thats been traded if it serves the wishes of an unelected english Prime Minister?

And another promise the UK has made and will not stick to it.

When the second extention to article 50 has been asked by the UK, the UK promised that it wil not try anything to block the EU functioning, inner dealings or politics. As the UK had to take part in the EU elections held while the extion of article 50 took place.

Now the UK prime ministed plays alzheimer and plans to not to stick to the promises another PM made.

It is clear that UK politics (as in the last hundred years) can not be trusted at all. Promises are not beeing held, have not been held and will not be held in future as it seems.

Why extend article 50, again? I dont think the EU has many reasons that would justify another extension of article 50. So we very likely will see a brexit at 31st of october.

• not for the purpose of beeing mean towards the UK, but rather for the purpose of cutting out rotten meat in order for the rest of the body to survive.

No UK PM’s are elected. The fact that Boris Johnson was not elected in a General Election is not a relevant argument. PM’s are appointed after they have been recommended by the winning party to the Monarch to lead the government. It is not possible in the UK to vote for a specific person as a PM.

In fact, after a General Election, the winning party could form a prospective government and then appoint a different leader to go the Palace as prospective PM to the one the election leaflets suggested. I don’t remember this ever being done and it would be damaging to the party that used this tactic. But that is their choice, not the electorate’s, and its not illegal.

I hope the UK remains as a single entity after Brexit, with all member countries still in place. But if the population of any one of the 4 home countries makes plain in a referendum they wish to leave, I don’t think the UK government should stand in their way.

Last poll had 3 out of 5 happy with a NI only backstop.

And in the referendum we voted to stay in the EU.

The increase in ‘remain’ voters in NI is the effect of no deal on the border.

UK numers were better than expected today - but not NI - the Ulster Bank report that we have entered a recession.

2 Likes

Now the Speaker is standing down.

Aye - it will be Oct 31 - so current mp’s will get to vote for replacement - not new incoming after an election - the thinking is that new guys are more likely to follow the whip, current guys more likely to follow their conscious.

Hopefully it will be oct 31st.
And if it is 31st oct then it will be a no-deal brexit.

Then this nonsense is finally over for the EU. For the UK it will last another couple of years (or decades?) i guess.

1 Like

The chancellor says the Govt has a cunning plan.

Here is my cunning plan:

1/ Have a referendum in NI only asking for a mandate for a NI only backstop.

(Confirmation would bring legitimacy and would negate the DUP protests that this backstop is undemocratic.)

2/ Let the NI Govt have a role in future discussions during the transition period.

(Not a veto, this would encourage NI politicians to start up their local Govt soonest)

3/ Westminster - how to get a deal through. Get a larger portion of remainers on board by EU agreeing an easy accession route should any future UK wide referendum vote to go back in.

(hope here is that brexiteers will seize the chance of getting out, their mantra is that the UK will prosper and flourish outside the EU so no fears on a referendum result in the future - likewise remainers will acknowledge the result of the past referendum but be confident that things will be bad outside and a majority will want back in).

This plan is called the Peterma ‘cummings’ plan :slight_smile:

1 Like

It doesnt look like the gov has any plans besides how to get a new general election and be elected again. It doesnt look like theres anything constructive going on, ever since johnson took his seat. (Opinion)

Unfortunately. The hints are clear, at any press conference any country leader BoJo has spoken to says “there are no constructive solutions presented” directly hitting at BoJo in public media while he stands there smiling and pretending that things are getting done.

Agreed. I’m sure Boris Johnson doesn’t care one way or another about Brexit. His objective is purely political in the professional sense - get power, keep power, avoid getting the blame.

He’s got power. To keep power short-term he ideally needs a clear majority in the Commons. To get that he needs the Brexit party to either not oppose him before a hard/no-deal Brexit or to be neutered after an achieved hard/no-deal Brexit.

To keep power long-term and evade blame he only needs to avoid a recession. Only a deep recession can now get Jeremy Corbyn back in the running for PM. Even then, if its really serious and long-lasting, he’ll be too old to get into No.10…

Thats pretty sad considering that brexit is the bigest political, sociological and economical event the UK had since the end of WW2 and with the most striking effects on the country.

The countries unity is at stake.
The countries economy is at stske.
The countries reputation is at stake (well, no more actually as the rep has been damaged beyond repair already).
The countries geopolitical position is at stake.

And the person in charge is highly incompetent and selfcentred.

It is said that Italy will be the first to follow us out :smile:

Will the fate of the United Kingdom soon be in the hands of two convicted liars?

Scottish courts declare suspension of parliament unlawful

1 Like

Yes. Tories challenge that declaration at the supreme court. So the scottish declaration is on hold for another few weeks and useless untill the supreme court made its decition.

I bet if supreme court says its unlawfull BoJo will put it to the european court just to buy some more time, which would be hilariously hypocrate.

1 Like

Incompetent at being PM remains to be seen.
Self-centred? - He seems very competent at being self-centred.

Very bizarre decision. How can the detection of a political motive behind a political decisions make that decision unlawful?

And how could the decisive political motive be proven anyway? Surely it is the action or the impacts of the action which should form the unlawful part?
Its surely like if I decide to go and buy some bread from Smith’s bakery on Pinhoe Road. There could be multiple reasons why I wanted to buy bread and why I selected Smith’s and why I didn’t want to buy rice instead and why I didn’t go to Sainsbury’s and why I didn’t order it online. How could a trained legal mind divine which is my primary motive? And ignore all the rest? Surely it is the purchase of bread which is the important point?

Or maybe, just maybe, the Scottish equivocator judges decided to pass the buck. They didn’t want to be seen as the people who scuppered the legal action so they found opposite the High Court and now they’re letting the Supreme Court make the decision and carry the can? Or is that too cynical of me?

Or is it possible you are not being cynical enough ?

One question is WHY the case was brought in Scotland for actions taken in England ?

There does seem to be some history - if you have a root about, of Scottish Court making life ‘Difficult’ for the English Establishment and my assessment is that the case was deliberately brought in Scotland for that precise reason !

There is a doctrine of “Separation of Powers” between the Judiciary and the Legislature under the British Constitution and I’m at a loss to understand why the defence does not seem to have pled on that basis ? odd !

However that exact point has been used today by the High Court in Belfast to summarily throw out a further 3 cases which came up for consideration before them (but of course “mainstream media” will just not bother to report that fact ! ) :wink:

1 Like